My Kitchen Rules – Qld versus Tassie aka Sophisticated versus the Rustic

Mick continued with his “it’s great to sit back and be told what to do by my son” as he bossed him around saying “I would not mind a hand”, “keep your eyes open”,  and “I thought you said you were all done”.

Also he gushed to camera “It is at that stage of the competition where I don’t have to worry about what Matt is doing as he is doing a good job”. Fast forward ten minutes “How’s you mousse Matt? Better have a look at it!”.

Ironically it was Mick’s part of the dishes that let them down. For entree they made Smoked Eel Chowder and after Matt taking the mussels and clams before they had opened elicited the “Oh Matt it was a disaster taking them off early mate”, it was the under cooked vegetables that attracted the judges ire.

Their main of Parmesan Crusted Lamb which Mick prepped was raw. Though Mick was trying to sell it as “very pink but stunning”. Liz Egan and Karen did not look like even tasted the lamb. However Manu thought his lamb was perfectly cooked.

The best Karen could say was “there was a lot of love on the plate”.

Their dessert would have been a stunner earlier on in the competition but in a semi it was a tricked up sponge with white chocolate mousse piped on it, topped with lemon curd and raspberries. It was a bit like the leaning Tower of Pisa’s of the dessert world it would have been nice.

In comparison Elle and Jake’s menu was very sophisticated and showcased a plethora of skills. For entree it was Smoked Kingfish with Gremolata, main was Confit of Rabbit with Polenta and dessert was Yoghurt Pannacotta with Fresh Peaches.

Elle was definitely the boss in the kitchen last night and has been throughout most of the series so it was interesting that in the beginning that Jake was shown as the driving force of the team.

The entree looked beautiful on the plate however there looked like there were a lot of strong flavours on the dish, including squid ink, capers, cornichons, quail egg and salmon eggs. Colin said if he had not been told the Kingfish had been smoked he would not have been able to taste it.

Their Confit of Rabbit main looked delicious and Jake put so much effort into the polenta which paid off in flavour. On these cooking shows they never use instant polenta!

They had a slight disaster with dessert as Jake could not get the fairy floss to stop melting after he had made it, probably due to the studio lights. They ended up leaving it off. But they plated up a sophisticated Yoghurt Pannacotta with Lemon Gel,  Fresh Peach and a Thyme and Lemon Sauce. The only issue with their dessert was the gel was too firm but the judges gushed over the pannacotta. Surprisingly the herb sauce was a hit with the judges.

The boys were generously scored considering their main was inedible for most of the judges scored seven and eights for their meal for a total of 44 out of 50.  However in the end Jake and Elle flogged them scoring  51 points which included four nines but only a seven from Karen Martini. I think her score was fake as she was the first one to show her score and must have been trying to build some tension that the Queensland team might not win.

Jake and Elle face Dan and Steph in Sunday night’s two hour Grand Final. It starts at 6.30pm on SEVEN.

There will be a live blog here on Reality Ravings where everyone can chat whilst the show is on.

1 Culinary Boner { 04.26.13 at 1:59 pm }

Just for Gary M….

Photo of the office bearers of the MKR Fan Club Inc:

Will they get their state-of-the-art, three-dimensional TV fixed in time for Sunday’s final?
Bloody ‘ope so!

2 brain dead dave { 04.26.13 at 2:05 pm }

tassielou, I’m going on what Pops himself said on $unrise last Monday, as he mentioned community radio.

Also quoting Pops from the Sunshine Coast daily on 21/4:

“Matt came into it a timid young man and he’s coming out the other end confident, with a new career in the field he really wanted to get into,” he said, referring to Matt’s new job at a community radio station in Hobart.

I thought Pops was being fair dinkum, old china.

Nothing against Tassie, mate….just Pops.

3 tassielou { 04.26.13 at 3:14 pm }

No worries BDD :)

4 Anna { 04.26.13 at 6:07 pm }
5 Anna { 04.26.13 at 6:09 pm }
6 Anna { 04.26.13 at 6:12 pm }

Emma, if you are still looking for the ‘bogan straya’ comment from Gazza, here is the link

7 brain dead dave { 04.26.13 at 6:15 pm }

That’s right, Anna. from memory Jowl$y dubbed his revolting recipe “Chicka- Cola”.

It seems Porky and Staph were “inspirated” by Jowl$y’s work but added a personal tweak with the Dr.Pepper.

8 Littlepetal { 04.26.13 at 6:23 pm }

I posted the bogan comment from Gary yesterday. This is why we are all having a go at Gary and MC

9 Culinary Boner { 04.26.13 at 6:27 pm }

Anna, bdd
As usual Matt the Cravat was just a follower, though why you’d follow this particular path is beyond me…

The original – or maybe just older recipe – Preacher’s Chicken Ketcha-Cola – appeared in this book (which I had a copy of decades ago, but lost):

I always considered this a coffee table book to amuse and appall friends, not a source of actual meals to eat. Jowlsy and Dan obviously have different life philosophy on this front.

10 Anna { 04.26.13 at 6:38 pm }

Culinary Boner, cola does a great job stripping rust of metal… wonder what it does to their bodies….

Never saw Jowlsy as a leader, only a follower… same goes for George

11 brain dead dave { 04.26.13 at 6:41 pm }

Jowl$y always shows a lot of guts, mind you.

12 Anna { 04.26.13 at 6:47 pm }

Not to mention eating with his mouth open and sticking his tongue out… bleah

13 nanaliz { 04.26.13 at 6:48 pm }

Does that mean a fellow judge from a show that does not appeal to Australian bogans, according to Gary, is using a recipe from a book called ‘ White trash cooking’. OK?????

14 Littlepetal { 04.26.13 at 6:50 pm }

Luke Nguyen has cooked a chicken in cola

15 Gabby { 04.26.13 at 6:52 pm }

Thanks Anna for putting the “Bogan” link up again. That’s really riled me up. Bloody cheek. It makes me want to tell him where to stick his show but I want to watch it. I’m so peed off, and there’s nothing we can do about it. Shithead. Who does he think he is calling us Bogans? I’ll give him bloody Bogans.

16 Anna { 04.26.13 at 6:56 pm }

Gabby, the moronic promo from MC has reached US and they aren’t impressed… basically they think we are losers…

17 Culinary Boner { 04.26.13 at 7:52 pm }

Yeah Anna, the potential industrial uses of Coke are under-appreciated.

Which brings me to Dan’s swimmers…

hey mate, perhaps it’s time to quit macerating ya meat in cherry cola.

18 Gabby { 04.26.13 at 8:40 pm }

Anna at least it doesn’t make the viewers look like losers or bogans, it makes the producers look that way.
After what Gary said about us it gives him a nice bit of “Right back at you Dickhead”. He will not be at all happy with that bit of press in one of New York’s biggest daily’s.

19 Anna { 04.26.13 at 8:59 pm }

Gabby, Gary insulted everyone who watches the program, you’ve seen the comments.. foot in mouth disease me thinks…

It makes the producers & potential viewers look bad, don’t care about contestants since they’ve signed up to the show

NYers never heard of him, not will they care about ‘bogan’ who gets a cake in the face. Food fight on top of sexist segregation and comments… we are just so proud

20 Anna { 04.26.13 at 9:03 pm }

Culinary Boner, the very old meat should be nice and tender after Cola eats through tissue and all else… there will be no need for a pressure cooker LOL

21 Stacey { 04.26.13 at 9:29 pm }

Good to hear from you Bakers Boy. Have missed our discussions!

I agree that it really seems like Dan and Steph are being set up for the win. With all the stories and promo’s it just seems inevitable.

The more you guys mention Karen the more I realise how much she actually annoys me.

Celebrity Apprentice starts soon!

22 Moonstruck { 04.27.13 at 11:07 am }

Techhater I too watch MPW’s kitchen wars and enjoy it. They work in the industry but still make mistakes and have time management problems. And it’s only on once a week!!
This 4 – 6 nights a week is too much which is why we get the drama to draw us in. It’s too much of a time investment.
I’ve said this before but the first season of Masterchef was on at 7 pm and it was 30 minutes long mostly. I loved it. With its 60 minute format since season 2, it’s too long and too much of an investment every night even when recording and fast forwarding the ads and the tastings.
Both MKR and MC have now taken to having 2 hour episodes (comeback kitchen or the tourist trip cooking episodes). If they didn’t manufacture the drama who would watch a 2 hour cooking show?
As for who will win, it will the one who cooks better on the night. The difference could be one small mistake doesn’t mess up. This does not necessarily make the winners the better cooks.
Given how the contestants have been portrayed this year I wonder who will be foolish enough to apply next year.
the spice girls are at the final. I wonder if A & S will be there also. I’d love it if they were made to sit next to each other.

23 Techhater { 04.27.13 at 12:28 pm }

Moonstruck agree about the length of episodes. If it was all about the cooking like on MC US season 1 I wouldn’t mind. Cooking has always been a huge passion for me, and if I can pick up new recipes or tips all the better. But I hate the back story BS. This year the only recipe i’ve downloaded is the Italian Mummas’ Baharat Beef. Haven’t tried it yet but will soon. Will use goat instead of beef.