Celebrity Apprentice Australia – No Winner Decided – Is This Ethical?

It is not unusual for reality television shows that are not live to air to film two or three endings to ensure no spoilers leak out before the Grand Final actually screens on television.

However what did shock me was reading in news.com.au was host of  Celebrity Apprentice Australia, Mark Bouris, saying they had filmed two endings but they had not picked a winner. Is this standard practice in the industry and does this mean other reality shows who film multiple endings also decide who wins later on?

Mr Bouris told news.com.au:

While the series has already been filmed, two endings have been shot.
Bouris says he is not deciding on the winner until the series has run its course.
“I want to watch it like viewers and see who really deserves the title at the end of the series.”

Is this code for the Network NINE, the producers and Mr Bouris waiting to decide who is going to be the most popular winner according to the chatter on the social media. I had always been under the assumption the winner was decided on the day and was confined to the chosen few to stop it from leaking out.

Also  I find the lack of transparency a concern and a tad unethical as the most worthy person may not win but the most popular or likeable.

Sure it is only a reality TV show, but there is big bucks at stake for either an individual or a charity. Also the viewers give up hours of their time to these shows  and invest considerable emotional energy. It is like watching a sporting team in the grand final you want to know it is fair being fairly judged/refereed and the best team/person wins.

With My Kitchen Rules grand final coming up on Sunday let’s hope they don’t subscribe to this practice and are judging on who is the best cook on the day and this decision was made on the day it was recorded NOT this week.

Masterchef: The Professionals also shot multiple endings but a Network TEN spokesperson said the decision to film multiple endings was due to the long period between recording and transmission and Marco Pierre White’s other work commitments. The spokesperson said the producers knew who had won and this was decided on the day of filming.

This is good to hear but again raises the question again whether there needs to be a reality television code of practice.

Celebrity Apprentice Australia Series 3 starts on Tuesday night on NINE at 8.40pm.

1 Littlepetal { 04.26.13 at 2:36 pm }

Sad to think the winner is manipulated by the channel. Agree with you RR that it is unethical. But then most reality shows are manipulated right from the start. MC is famous for keeping some of their favourite safe. So is MKR.

2 brain dead dave { 04.26.13 at 2:42 pm }

No ethics?

Business as usual.

3 PollyB { 04.26.13 at 2:50 pm }

+1 BDD

4 chasingvegas { 04.26.13 at 4:15 pm }

I was recently at a recording of the finale of another reality tv show when after the winner was announced they locked the doors & told us that they were going to re set the set & record an alternate winner….I didn’t think that was very fair on either of the potential winners having to act as if they had won when it was clear they hadn’t.

5 is nothing sacred? { 04.26.13 at 4:20 pm }

Since you raise the question of ethics in reality TV. I stumbled across this interview a couple of weeks ago where the Bondi boys admit that they submit a bunch of recipes and the producers tell them what they’ll be cooking the night before they cook.

So every time a team has been told, your dish is too simple, it wasn’t their choice (they might have had more complicated recipes in their list). Every time a team has been told I want to see you cook something different it wasn’t their choice (there could have been something different on their list).

I had always thought that the producers were there chatting and casually influencing I had no idea that the producers chose what was cooked the following day.

I realise the teams can still stuff up the cooking even if it’s highly complicated but you have to admit that the choice of menu is a huge influence that the teams don’t seem to have full control of.

It took me a whole week thinking this over before telling a friend who promptly told me that I had just told him Santa Claus didn’t exist anymore. So apologies for even raising this, it’s only because you questioned their ethics that I even mentioned this.

I firmly believe that yes, they edit together two programs with the different endings and then send through the one they decide right at the last minute based on public opinion because it’s for ratings which means advertising dollars. Funny, I’m more upset that they manipulate the whole competition and not the ending it kind of doesn’t matter after realising how fake it all is.

I also find it hilarious that Mark Bouris is going to watch his heavily biasly edited show like a viewer and make an informed decision. Yeah right, it’ll be about public opinion of course.

p.s. I’m not a Troll – I’m just kind of irked at the whole reality tv industry. perhaps someone will convince me that my cynicism is unfounded or maybe you’ll commiserate with me?

6 Culinary Boner { 04.26.13 at 4:34 pm }

Trump’s opinion on the ethics of this case…

7 Culinary Boner { 04.26.13 at 4:52 pm }

Noting that Bouris is on the board of the Sydney Roosters, I am expecting this shock announcement at the end of CA season #3…

And the winner is….
Sonny Bill Williams!

(“Absolutely amazing and a testimony to the great talent this man possesses that he won a reality TV comp he didn’t even compete in. What do you reckon, Rabbits?”)

8 Carole { 04.26.13 at 5:08 pm }

I always thought the whole series was filmed ahead, but the finale was live, that’s how they do it in the US version, same with Survivor. I had thought they did the same with MasterChef till the latest season.

9 daisy { 04.26.13 at 8:43 pm }

Do you think we the viewers can outwit them and beat them at their own game? Or would that be too naive of me?

10 sjm { 04.26.13 at 10:07 pm }

In the UK Apprentice they used to film two endings and then the two finalists would work in the company for a few months and Alan Sugar would then call the BBC and tell them which ending to show based partly on their work experience over those months.

11 Celebrity Apprentice Australia – Looks Like It Is Going To Be A Good Season | reality ravings { 05.01.13 at 10:58 am }

[…] by Reality Raver “Just because I am not around don’t think that I don’t know what is going on.” declared Mark Bouris at the beginning of the new season of Celebrity Apprentice Australia.  Then why does he have to watch the series before he decides on a winner? […]