Masterchef Australia Producers Would Be Happy People Are Talking About Their Show

The Masterchef Australia – Gender Wars promo has gone international with the popular site Huffington Post being critical of the so called sexist nature of the advertisement. It says it has created a new low.

The advertisement also attracted the ire of a media student who also wrote an article in the Daily Life. Though she did not quite get the reasons why there were so many more men in the chef profession then women…

Masterchef Australia producers and Network Ten will be glad it has created so much chatter and controversy.  With the huge ratings My Kitchen Rules received and the not so great ratings received for Masterchef Professionals this year they may have been worried that the fifth season of Masterchef would have been overlooked by the mainstream television media.

This controversy is publicity gold for them.

The judges have been getting into the pre-show publicity as well with both George and Gary both taking coded swipes at My Kitchen Rules.

Gary clearly not content with gender stereotyping the female population also decides to have a dig at bogans. He told the SMH:

Mehigan says the reason MKR was more popular than MasterChef: The Professionals was that the Seven Network series captivated “bogan Australia”.

MasterChef: The Professionals really appealed to a foodie set, dedicated foodie people and they loved it,” Mehigan said.

“Then you look at MKR and it’s kind of glamorous, it’s kind of different and it appeals to bogan Australia and there’s bitchiness and all that drama.

“Soap drama is easy. It’s chewing gum for the eyes and MasterChef is never going to be that.”

With George Calombaris in the Daily Telegraph saying he stands by the original format and its integrity.

“Some of us are creators, some of us are followers….I’m rapt there are cooking shows.”

“I’m not naming names but at the end of the day Masterchef is like the AFL premiership. People wait for that. Do they really watch the preliminary finals?”

He also said he has lost 20 kgs by eating more healthily is he going to be Season Five’s sex symbol? However the reason he lost it was not for female adulation but to be a good influence on his son and daughter. Apparently he has had another child – I missed that one.

Masterchef Australia needed a hook to ensure people tuned in this year and having teams based on gender lines a change but it is certainly not new in reality TV. It is standard on Celebrity Apprentice and has occurred on Survivor. Whether the ad is sexist is up for debate, and I have to be honest I missed the whole gender stereotyping in the promo. However  Masterchef Australia is probably one of the least sexist shows on television, well except for the fact it does not have any female judges. Something they really should rectify.

There is now news on when Masterchef Australia will air but probably after The Biggest Loser has finished.

Do you think the Masterchef Australia advertisement was sexist? And does it make you want to watch or not watch the show?

1 Daisy { 05.03.13 at 6:17 pm }

Groovy baby! 😉

2 Daisy { 05.03.13 at 6:17 pm }

Groovy baby! 😉

Actually, wrong era. I mean “Far out man” :)

3 Georgie { 05.03.13 at 6:33 pm }

Yeah ‘far out’ was the expression of favour at the time. The world was a safer, friendlier place then for sure.

4 Kristen { 05.03.13 at 6:34 pm }

Anonymous – Anyone who hides behind anonymous is a coward. I am fine thankyou however some on this site need immediate help.

Also anyone who jokes about cancer patients losing their hair and .getting back at hairdressers – is a fool. My husband died of cancer. It was the chemotherapy that killed him not the cancer… Ninety percent of Doctors would not have chemo or let their families have it. Look it up

5 Techhater { 05.03.13 at 7:53 pm }

Please before another war breaks out lets get things into perspective. It was me who said what a tough job it is to be an oncologist. Which it is. The response may have been lighthearted but there was no malice in it. I’m sure that everyone who posts here can say that they’ve a loved one who’s gone through chemotherapy. Some have survived some have not. I know i’ve lost someone dear to me. The point is the particular comment that was made was not to offend anyone going through this awful ordeal. But that it WAS a tough profession to be in. That’s all end of story. Please leave it there.

6 Stacey { 05.03.13 at 7:54 pm }

Spoke too soon Gary. Now your show is all about the dramz too.

I don’t really find the ad sexist. As you said RR they do it on celebrity apprentice and survivor all the time. And apparently we’re not allowed to talk about ‘gender roles’ anymore.

7 Techhater { 05.03.13 at 8:10 pm }

Stacey Desi saw the promo for the first time today and he loves it. He thinks the girls look lovely and he’s hoping they whip the boys a*ses. Not having seen them cook yet but my money’s on the NT lad just because he’s from the outback.

8 Anonymous { 05.03.13 at 8:11 pm }

Oh, pardon me, Kristen #47. It’s just you said on April 29th that:

“Yes I am in fact a recently retired Medico.”

9 Daisy { 05.03.13 at 8:22 pm }

TH I am pretty sure no one was offended by you.
But God bless you for stepping out to take a bullet for the team :)

10 Techhater { 05.03.13 at 8:35 pm }

Daisy thanks but Dr T’s job is hard enough without being slammed for something he said here. And personally I couldn’t stand another war here. I come here for some lighthearted banter with likeminded people. Whether we agree or not isn’t the point. The fact that we can talk about multiple subjects at any given time is such a blessing. For the most part i’m quite shy and withdrawn. (Hell it took me 3 years to post.) And it’s really unnerving when someone says something and gets slammed because someone else disagrees.

11 Daisy { 05.03.13 at 8:49 pm }

TH You’re the best :)

12 Kristen { 05.05.13 at 2:45 am }

Anonymous -yes, I am recently retired Dr. – Going back to work. My husband was pressured into chemo by an Oncologist. I have no time for them whatsoever. My husband was a Weapons E. Engineer and he was very sick and was nagged into chemo – which sent him blind. Anonymous people are cowards. The facts about chemo are terrifying. I don’t believe an Oncologist would be wasting his time on this site.. If he is he isn’t a great Oncologist. Wouldn’t even bother looking at this rubbish site again that’s for sure.

13 Kristen { 05.05.13 at 3:04 am }

Is tarted on this site to learnt more about cooking – However the old girls brigade started to want to beat me into their submission. They don’t like people who have different opinions to theirs. Oh and go over your own spelling – its not that great.

14 Stacey { 06.17.14 at 10:00 pm }

The producers are spoiling master chef. I don’t know what week we are in. So far non of the contestants have won the immunity pin so what do they do they stage it. Laura’s win today was so set up. How can a celebrity chef who knows the time he has to cook in , all of a sudden not be aware of the time. Ends up not plating up to the point that they are unable to score his dish. Come on, come up with some better and brighter ideas. This was so obviously a set up. They wanted Laura to win but surely this should be on merit. Don’t get me wrong she is a good cook but she should win fairly and squarely and not because people (the producers) want her to win. They have done so before. This kills the show and is very disappointing.

15 Stacey { 06.17.14 at 10:04 pm }

just edited my comment above. Would love a feed back

16 daisy { 06.17.14 at 10:10 pm }

Hi Stacey, you are THE Stacey aren’t you. I hope all is well.

I agree they were determined Laura would win the onion chop.

I have been getting bored with MC this year, but I don’t know why.
I do want to make that seafood broth though.

17 daisy { 06.17.14 at 10:17 pm }

Stacey, I’m not up to it yet but if Laura beats the chef, I won’t believe it. No way.