Celebrity Splash – The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

The much anticipated Celebrity Splash kicked off tonight and the question on everyone’s lips was whether a celebrity diving show will be entertaining and who had withdrawn from the show.

The viewers did not have to wait long to find out Laura Csortan was the injured cast member and was withdrawing with an injured back, however she must have had to fulfill her contractual obligations to wear a bikini and fake tan to announce this to the audience. Surely there was no other rationale other than gratuitous perving by her fans for her to be standing talking to Larry with her robe undone Fans of hers or just people who appreciate a fit body would have liked the fact her robe was not done up and we could see most of her skimpy two piece.

However was the show entertaining? A definitive yes cannot be given but the show can be broken down into the good the bad and the ugly.

First the good:

• Larry and Kylie kept their energy up throughout the long two hour program and they do have a good chemistry together. Larry Emdur truly is the Dorian Gray of Australian television the man does not age;
  • Matt Mitcham was the highlight of the judging panel and he definitely has some media talent and did anyone else think he and Josh Thomas got a bit flirty?
  • Great that reality TV was showcasing a minority group on screen, no I am not talking about gay men that is so passe in reality TV land, but pregnant women. Alissa Camplin was pregnant as was one of the diving coaches;
  • Derek Boyer’s belly flop, we had been waiting for one all night and he delivered unfortunately he was eliminated;
  • Brynne Edelsten again proved she is very popular and likeable, and husband Geoffrey looked genuinely proud of her. However it did appear that Brynne deciding to dive from the 7.5 metre board instead of the 5 metre board was a bit of a stunt. Also were the judges told to score her high to keep her in? Not that there is anything wrong with that.
  • Pauley Fenech was there to entertain and he did surrounded by so many sportsmen the comedians role is to make the show amusing and he did that witha lot of energy;
  • Tamsyn Lewis’s awesome dive where she did a handstand as well as having to start the show;
  • Actually most of the diving was fun to watch and also how they trained;
  • It was a sleek production and it looked like SEVEN has put money and effort into it and it did make the show more enjoyable to watch;

The Bad:

• Even though Greg Louganis is American but if you are trying to pretend this is a celebrity TV show it is a good idea if you get the contestant’s names right. The former US Olympian and judge mistook Pauly for Derek. Though to be fair I have no idea what the name of that Miss Universe Australia is;
  • Greg is easy on the eye but he really did not add much to the judging panel except for his diving pedigree, and Alissa was fine she just there as the nice female;
  • Matt Mitcham was likeable but saying he that it was good to see someone not being a “little girl” up on the diving board could be construed as being demeaning as would someone saying a dive was “so gay”;
  • Andrew Symonds gave an OK dive but he needs to let his personality out more, his face barely changed expression the whole episode;
  • There are only six episodes, which some people might say belongs in “the good” section, but with only half of them showcased in each episode it will be hard to emotionally connect or get to know the celebrities to really care who is going to win. Tonight three were were eliminated – Derek, Josh Thomas and Miss Universe Australia, Renae Ayris.
The ugly:
  • Two hours of television was too long for nine dives. There were the seven contestants and nine dives which meant too much filler, much like that other SEVEN show Dancing With The Stars. Sure I will be watching Celebrity Splash but it won’t be live to air.

Celebrity Splash on SEVEN on Monday and Tuesday night at 7.30pm.

1 Littlepetal { 04.30.13 at 12:08 am }

I surprise myself by enjoying the show. Also it is only 6 episodes. I can handle that.

2 Billy c { 04.30.13 at 12:14 am }

“Greg is easy on the eye but he really did not add much to the judging panel except for his diving pedigree, and Alissa was fine she just there as the nice female;”
This is the dumbest sentence ever written on the internet. I don’t know if you’re a misogynist, or a child. However given you write a blog about reality tv you are certainly a moron.

3 daisy { 04.30.13 at 12:19 am }

Thanks Emma for the good recap. I love that daggy Alice from Brady Bunch clone Larry, and he and Kylie do make a greatduo.
Did you see when the Morning Show directors put Alice hair on Lazza….identical twins.
Also thanks for the warning on the 9 dives beingdrawn out over 2 hours, but then that’s what happens on the Voice too, and on Sunrise when Kochie says, “coming up after this….”.
I’ll be recording and ff when necessary.
If there is some gratuitous flesh we should get a laugh from CB as he directs his fickle horn from Ajay, to Karen, to Ashlee to Dawn Frazer.

4 Reality Raver { 04.30.13 at 12:21 am }

Billy C – I am neither a misogynist (clearly you skipped over the pregnant women on TV bit) or a child, so I must be a moron. The producers needed/wanted a female judge she fitted the brief she was inoffensive and has the athletic quals so she got the job.

5 daisy { 04.30.13 at 12:29 am }

RR Billy took a grumpy pill.
“Dumbest sentence ever? ” “Moron”?
Why are you reading it then, Bozo?

6 Bogan blowout { 04.30.13 at 3:39 am }

Didn’t watch. Louganis – class act. In 1988 Olympics knows he is HIV+. Cuts head on diving board. Bleeds in pool. Stitched poolside by doctor sans gloves. Did he mention his status to attending doctor or competitors. No.

7 Neil { 04.30.13 at 5:28 am }

Oh dear.

OH DEAR.

I feel sorry for the former sports carnival medallists who must be desperate for a crust between games. No one should have to suffer though that (And Larry Emdur. *shudder*)

Bring back Man-O-Man.

8 Jas { 04.30.13 at 7:03 am }

Brogan blowout, please get informed about HIV and how it is and is NOT transmitted before making stigmatising statements

9 A.P { 04.30.13 at 7:24 am }

Very happy to see that Alissa is pregnant again after the tragedy of losing her ten day old son a couple of years ago.
Sorry, but I didn’t like the show much.
Emma/ RR, join me on my team of two, you a moron and me a bogan!
Thanks to Gabby, Daisy, Layla and Nanaliz for your support.

10 Anna { 04.30.13 at 8:50 am }

Wanted to watch Revenge, but this idiotic show went into almost 40 min overtime …

Will not be watching BUT I’m sure some viewers will be glued to their seats judging by some of the tweets

11 Bogan blowout { 04.30.13 at 8:59 am }

Jas at 8. Get off your pious strawhorse.
What was known about infection in 1988? Louganis didn’t even give the chance for doctor and other participants to get advice. He didn’t say anything. Just let them stitch and dive.

Appalling human behaviour, just appalling.

12 Bogan blowout { 04.30.13 at 9:07 am }

And Jas, playing your ridiculous 2013 strawhorse (my points at 11 stand regardless), can a medical carer stitching another without gloves get infected by a blood-borne virus through cut or other skin opening on the medical carer?

13 layla { 04.30.13 at 9:14 am }

Did not watch this. Will watch celeb apprentice though!

14 A.P { 04.30.13 at 9:20 am }

Me too Layla, it should be good.

15 KJ { 04.30.13 at 9:29 am }

I should have gone with my gut instinct on this show. When I first heard about it I thought it would be crap, but was sucked in by the ads, and thought it might be amusing. But I was wrong, it was crap. Boring, and didn’t have any redeeming qualities.

16 Culinary Boner { 04.30.13 at 9:31 am }

“what was known about infection in 1988?”, courtesy of the biggest public-funded health scare advertising campaign at the time* and that advertising muppet Siimon Reynolds it was scarier than a gaggle of stone-faced Russian Generals with an arsenal of nukes – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grim_Reaper_(advertisement)

*sigh* the lame brains in public health messaging only have one button to press – scare the shit out of the masses with footage unsuitable for a zombie slasher movie – as evidenced by every bloody campaign they have run since. Pity human psychology doesn’t work that way.

17 Heath { 04.30.13 at 9:38 am }

Renae Ayris was eliminated? Well then so is a lot of the Audience.
Seeing her in a variety of swimsuits was the only reason to watch.

18 Veronica { 04.30.13 at 9:56 am }

I usually avoid anything with the word ‘celebrity’ in the title and, after watching 5 minutes of gratuitous bikini wearing, I decided to stick with that and turned back to 4 corners.

19 Rosie { 04.30.13 at 10:37 am }

I said I’d give this 5 minutes, but I lied. It was more like one. Just too much…palaver about not very much. Not my cup of tea at all.

Re the doctor stitching up Greg Louganis: only if the doctor had an open wound into which Greg’s blood was dripping could s/he (the dr) have been infected. And that’s pretty unlikely.

Mythbusters was fun last night.

Re the idiot Billy c, is this Golo back, or do we have a new troll?

20 Reality Raver { 04.30.13 at 3:34 pm }

Actually Ajay Rochester would have made a great contestant on this show and is a bona fide celebrity

21 LB { 04.30.13 at 3:49 pm }

Saw AJ on OMGInsider last night (yes, I watch all of the trash TV), was an interesting interview. Part 2 is on tonight.

22 Littlepetal { 04.30.13 at 3:52 pm }

No Ajay for me. Not with her present weight.

23 layla { 04.30.13 at 3:57 pm }

I’ve met Brynne. She sat in front of me at a Katy Perry concert a few years back. She was actually really nice and kept very low key. Can’t say anything bad about her after that.

24 Littlepetal { 04.30.13 at 4:04 pm }

I think Brynne is nice. That is why she has so many fans when she was in DWTS but her voice….. Unfortunately you can’t change that and we just have to accept her as who she is.

25 ThillyMe { 04.30.13 at 4:53 pm }

Lol RR, Ajay would empty the pool when she hit the water.

26 Windsong { 04.30.13 at 7:44 pm }

I also thought it was interesting that they spent quite a bit of time introducing Greg and his role as an Olympic diver … but skipped mentioning the part how he was HIV positive and left blood in the water after diving. Sure, the chances of someone else being infected that way are pretty much nil (same with the doctor stitching him up), but did he know that at the time?

Having them rave about his history as a diver, no. I remember a documentary where some other Olympic swimmers talked about how horrifying that would’ve been, if they’d been there participating in that pool alongside him.

It was all… very, very unsettling to watch. And I won’t be tuning in tonight.

27 LillyMe { 04.30.13 at 7:56 pm }

This show is freaking funny as, I dont think its gonna b a big hit for long, but its a good laugh, Luv Andrew!

28 daisy { 04.30.13 at 11:15 pm }

You’re doing a good job of making me wonder what I am missing.

29 Helen { 05.01.13 at 11:21 am }

This is terrible, even the ads looked bad but I thought I would see what it was about – wish I hadn’t, at least it’s not airing for long.

30 LillyMe { 05.01.13 at 11:21 am }

Geez this show really cracked me up last night, but i also felt the pain that some of the divers felt! Like ouch!!
Im a fan of H&A n i cant believe poor Demi aka Sasha, Got voted out! That model, Matt or Nick whatever his name is, should of went, his dive was worse then hers, not only that, her couridage was better.
But Andrews still on, so ill watch it till he leaves.

31 sue { 05.01.13 at 11:23 am }

i set the show to tape as i was work the next day i watched the add for this show and immediately hit DELETE what a load of trash

32 sue { 05.01.13 at 11:25 am }

i deleted it before i wasted my time watching it the promo add was enough

33 daisy { 05.01.13 at 11:28 am }

Lillyme, can you rate it for me. I don’t watch BTL but love CA, Survivor and AR, and the Bach. Where does CS fit and is it better than Celeb dancing?

34 Littlepetal { 05.01.13 at 11:33 am }

Daisy, DWTS is definitely better with the nice costumes and dancing but it is good as light entertainment. You can see their fears and good of them having a go.

Still have 1 millions viewers last night and more than CA

35 daisy { 05.01.13 at 11:38 am }

Thanks Littlepetal, I’ll give it a go. But I’ll record it to ffd the dragged out bits and ads.

36 Izobel2 { 05.02.13 at 11:22 pm }

I’m watching 2nd ep now. There’s lots of filer that I’m skipping, but I like the fact that they r giving diving a go. I certainly couldn’t do it. I like Andrew Symonds and Andrew Welsh and Adam Richard.

37 TA Chauffeur Service { 05.03.13 at 5:08 pm }