The Voice – The First Showdown – Some Good Talent

This year they are mixing things up on The Voice with half of Ricky and Seal teams singing tonight rather than all of one coach’s team as they did last year. However the voting is similar, with team mates competing against team mates to stay in as people vote and the most popular from each team goes through to the live shows, and then a coach picks another one from their four to go through.

Delta Goodrem has lost some hair and Darren McMullen has gained some  and both are looking great for it. They are apparently not seeing each other as Darren is dating a contortionist according to today’s Daily Telegraph. Well that was the girls he was seen with this week. He also is going to be hosting a The Voice radio program on NOVA on Wednesday’s for the next seven weeks.

There were some great performances tonight and a couple of ordinary ones. The quirky girls were the ones that struggled.

Simon Meli was first up and it was funny when Ricky Martin said to camera after his rehearsals “Yeah he needs to work on that one thing……his vocals”. Actually he was great both performance and vocals, and he should be popular with the mummy vote. He sang Hold On I’m Coming.

Imogen Brough was pitchy all the way throughout The Voice the song not the show, and it was confirmed that she tanked when Joel said good luck to her after her performance. For someone who headed into the battle rounds as a favourite her odds are starting to blow out as that performance  was not good. She must have been consoled that  Seal really liked her performance and have her fingers crossed that her early popularity with the viewers gets her the highest votes from her team.

Nick Kingswell was next with Army Of Two. He is a tad bland but he did have some nice falsetto.  He is clean cut and non-threatening and he did play the guitar which is always a vote winner. In my mind he is just not memorable. Delta however thought it was great.

Miss Murphy  did a beautiful rendition of Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word. This girl can sing and will make it to the live showx, however  she needs to unlock her personality if she wants to win.

Michelle Martinez is a backing singer wanting her turn at the front of the stage.  Seal told her to she has to get out of the backing singer mode and now narrate the song which was good advice.  She sang Dedication To My Ex and unleashed her sex appeal and sang well the only downside was  her shaky walking dow the stairs in mega high heels.

Alex Gibson the busker talked about saying he was self conscious about being overweight and that may have been holding him back. He sang the Sounds Of Silence, there were a couple of bung notes but the tone of his voice is mesmerising. The crowd seemed to love it and him. If he wasn’t up against Harrison Craig he may have got the popular vote for Team Seal.

Hannah Darling was saved by Seal and really he wasted it. Her rendition of Linger will see her not lingering in the competition. She needs a miracle to stay in the competition.

The producer’s clearly want Harrison Craig to stay in the competition. They gave him the last spot of the night aka the pimp spot, Seal talked about his stutter and also Harrison and Seal chatted how his father has not been around. It is good to see his years of intensive speech therapy are working and he does have some control over it.  He sang a Michael Buble’s Home which was perfect for him and the audience lapped it up. I will be very surprised if he is not the viewers choice on Team Seal.

Prediction: On Team Seal Harrison will be the most popular vote and Seal will send Alex through and on Team Ricky Miss Murphy will get the viewers vote with Ricky  putting through Simon.

Who do you think should get put through to the live shows?

1 Georgie { 05.05.13 at 10:35 pm }

Missed the first three. Didn’t think much of Alex Gibson doing Sounds of Silence. Hannah Darling failed to launch. Michelle Martinez and Miss Murphy were okay. Not a Michael Buble fan but I guess Harrison was okay too if you like that sort of thing.

2 q { 05.06.13 at 12:38 am }

Im surprised that not many ppl comment on this show compared to MKR, even though more Australians are watching

3 Reality Raver { 05.06.13 at 8:48 am }

q – Not sure why I think the cooking shows bring the drama to discuss.

4 2ndhand { 05.06.13 at 9:25 am }

I feel sorry for Imogen. The song she was given to sing last night would have tested anyone, with not many of those doing it as well as she did. I had goosebumps when she sang it.

From the judges comments, I am not sure why they just don’t give the Title to Harrison – then we can all watch something else, maybe a cooking show?? Yes, he was good, but the judges made it sound like they had already decided he was going to win. Or turning him into this year’s “rachael leahcar”

5 Marepoppin { 05.06.13 at 12:42 pm }

I’m a speech pathologist. Personally I think Harrison bunged the stutter on during the blind auditions and battle rounds because he showed remarkable control and use of smooth speech techniques during showdowns. So… I’m calling producer interference in his ‘style’ and presentation… Like we’ve never seen that before lol

6 brain dead dave { 05.06.13 at 12:55 pm }

Imogen was a little too quirky for comfort. I love how when the singers get all “pitchy” and hit a long ,flat note the audience get up and cheer even more.

Worst interpretation of Sounds Of Silence ever heard. Seal’s affected light bulb moments in rehearsal with this bloke were pretty cringeworthy, too.

I gutsed out Miss Murphy and then switched over to catch all of The Biggest Loser.

7 Georgie { 05.06.13 at 1:13 pm }

Lol bdd, re. the audience cheering louder as the singing gets worse. I hope the judges have earpieces so at least they can hear properly.

I got annoyed last night with all the namby pamby feedback the judges give too, instead of just telling them straight that it wasn’t very good. I was surprised that Delta was the first of them to tell Hannah Darling she wasn’t happening.

8 Reality Raver { 05.06.13 at 1:21 pm }

Marepoppin – I expect he was asked to stutter for the bits before the blinds. He has control, you can still see there is an impediment though.

9 Mel { 05.06.13 at 10:49 pm }

I think Imogen has much to learn. It’s all very well when you’re doing a cover of your favourite singer but I think she’s been exposed these last two weeks.

Personally I can’t understand why more people aren’t talking about Simon Meli. Seems like most blogs and reviews are totally ignoring him. Yet, a great rock voice and having the confidence to sing and dance like that was Amazing.

Miss Murphy was very good but I have to agree she appears to have no personality at this stage.

Harrison is clearly very good and I know the Nanas and Mums out there are in raptures, but I just can’t get excited about songs like that. A bit of a yawn, really.

And Hannah Darling – lordy, what a train wreck.

10 Georgie { 05.06.13 at 11:19 pm }

Mel you’ve just reminded me of something I wanted to say about Simon Meli. He’s another Altiyan!

11 ABC { 05.06.13 at 11:19 pm }

I can’t understand any of the judge’s advice. Why can’t they just be straight up and get to the point?

12 Georgie { 05.06.13 at 11:25 pm }

ABC, it’s a whole lot of waffle and how can they keep saying “I love you”. Empty words.

13 Reality Raver { 05.07.13 at 11:42 am }

ABC – Agree and too many platitudes rather then a sold critique to help them in future performances.

Georgie – Agree, a more together version of Altiyan.

Mel – I think Simon Meli was one of the highlights. Though he could be in danger if by some fluke Imogen can get the popular vote as she was very popular after her audition.

BDD – LOL I had not noticed that before I took note last night about your flat note increases the cheering factor.

2ndhand – Harrison is indeed getting the finals push.