The Block And House Rules Going Head To Head

POST UPDATED:

First we had The Block and The Renovators going head-to-head, then The Biggest Loser and Excess Baggage, and this year new renovation show on SEVEN House Rules will be duking it out with the new series of The Block.

Channel NINE is coming out of the gates first and will premiere The Block on Sunday May 12 at 6.30pm and then on each weeknight at 7pm. House Rules is starting Tuesday 14 May at 7.30pm.

Historically we have seen when a new reality TV show of the same genre has gone head to head with an established one they have lost. This was seen when The Biggest Loser knocked Excess Baggage out of the ball park and when The Renovators could not get a foothold with The Block viewers.

However there were other factors why people did not watch Excess Baggage and The Renovators  and SEVEN have shown they know how to make great reality TV. The premise of House Rules is each week one of the couples houses is totally renovated so viewers are going to get the instant gratification of a fast transformation.

Though The Block is back in Melbourne and in a former hotel so totally different from what it has done previously and I must confess enthused about this renovations then some of the previous seasons.

Also they are taking a leaf out of SEVEN’s book and have teams from five different states. Yet again Tassie miss out.

They are:

• Matt (32) and Kim (31) from Perth, WA – engaged for one year
  • Alisa (28) and Lysandra (28) from Adelaide, SA – identical twins
  • Trixie (37) and Johnno (40) from Brisbane, QLD – parents of three
  • Bec (26) and George (28) from Melbourne, VIC – married three years
  • Madi (24) and Jarrod (24) from Sydney, NSW – married two years
 The press release says:

Contestants will be required to “demo and reno” more than 80 rooms including a record-breaking 30 bathroom reveals. Each floor of the hotel will be transformed into 220-square-metre luxury apartments complete with three bedrooms and a sumptuous roof terrace with 360-degree views of Melbourne.

It looks like again judge John McGrath is not going to take a major role with the judges announced as Neale WhitakerShaynna BlazeDarren Palmer and foreman Keith Schleiger is back.

The Block starts Sunday May 12 at 6.30pm.

1 Mia { 05.06.13 at 10:45 am }

My loathing of Joanna Griggs far outweighs my loathing of Shelley Craft, so The Block wins my viewership eyeballs already.

2 Reality Raver { 05.06.13 at 10:56 am }

Mia – LOL well that is one way of deciding things.

3 Maz { 05.06.13 at 11:04 am }

Mia, I totally and utterly concur with you!

4 Anna { 05.06.13 at 11:53 am }

Since they encore everything on Ch9 .. Easy to watch both or per tape both & fast forward through some parts :-)

Have to love crap TV in Sunday… Mentalist put me to sleep, woke up CSI was on… fell asleep … woke up another CSI was on.., got up & went to bed..

5 Georgie { 05.06.13 at 12:11 pm }

Lol Anna, your last para sounds just like me!

6 Techhater { 05.06.13 at 12:44 pm }

Anna thank goodness Ch9 do encore most shows. Noticed there was no CA here over the weekend. Which was a bummer. I really hate the way everything has to go head to head. I know it’s all about ratings and $$$ but it’s hard when people like Desi and I love reno and cooking shows the most. Anyway am really hoping The Block is encored if not House Rules will lose here. Desi’s already sick of the backstories.

7 Georgie { 05.06.13 at 1:40 pm }

If I can manage it, I’ll give House Rules a look in. I’ve never watched a series of The Block, because it usually conflicts with something else I’d rather watch. Encores are often on at an inconvenient time for me too. Then there’s a limit to how much RTV I can foist on the other half, who only likes the ‘talent’ type shows, so I don’t push my luck with re-runs.

8 Anna { 05.06.13 at 1:41 pm }

Pre taping is the only way to go :-)

9 Georgie { 05.06.13 at 1:52 pm }

I don’t have a recorder Anna and I have about 100+ movies on DVD that I’ve never bothered to watch. I figure TV recordings would go the same way. It’s just me – I’m too lazy to organise my time to fit it in.

10 PollyB { 05.06.13 at 2:33 pm }

Mia & Maz – +1

11 Veronica { 05.06.13 at 2:40 pm }

I’m so over the block but was really disappointed when it was announced Joanna Griggs was doing the ch7 reno show so, don’t know which one I’ll watch. Maybe MC will start and the decision will be made for me. Hope so!

12 Anna { 05.06.13 at 2:49 pm }

Georgie , know the feeling about never finding the time to watch pre recordings. If I was home would have watched it BUT since it’s pre taped I always find something else to do lol

Ch7 reno back stories and ‘what do they find in the house’ crap is putting me off it…. Shelley is less offensive then Goanna, & Shelley only appears on the show one day a week…

Guess I’ll be watching the Block. Thinking that MC will start as loser ends.

We need new contestants for next season :-)

13 Culinary Boner { 05.06.13 at 8:30 pm }

Shelly Craft vs Joanna Griggs?

Almost as exciting as the federal election.

Is SBS screening Derrick the week this stuff starts? Hope so. Will Inspector Rex blow Horst Tappert’s cover and expose him as an SS panzerdivision storm trooper? What is Rex’s dark secret, other than stealing ham rolls and having very poor taste in women – http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_d7JiYd5gS2Y/TJdjplNPg-I/AAAAAAAAAmM/-0FEwGhY_ao/s1600/human-female-dog.jpg ?

14 Techhater { 05.06.13 at 9:21 pm }

CB HaHa is that Rex undercover. Maybe that could be his new series. “Undercover K9” or “Rex in Drag” I wish SBS would put Inspector Montalbano back on. Saturday nights are so lonely without him. Lol

15 Veronicali { 05.07.13 at 8:09 am }

So The Block is only half an hour weeknights? I’m glad, the movie length episodes of last season were just … too … much! It will be ‘encored’ later in the night.
30 bathrooms for 5 apartments, are they marketing to the incontinent?
If Seven put House Rules on Wednesday to Friday that will slot in nicely. There’s been nothing reality-tv to watch in the latter half of the week.