The Block Sky High Premieres And It Does Not Necessarily Lead To Marital Harmony
House Rules looks like it could be in trouble when my partner who hates The Block decided he wanted to watch the latest Sky Rise series. As we know a family who watches reality together stays together.
Well not in this little black ducks case we spent over half episode arguing about the stucco ceilings in the old motel. To be fair my hackles were up when he asked what suburb The Block was in and I could not answer and he said “Shouldn’t you know these things?”. Fair point. For the record The Block – Sky High is in South Melbourne.
So if there are factual errors in the recap apologies.
For the record the was arguing about the asbestos in the ceilings, and also about how the ceiling were a pain in the arse to paint and I doubted it could occur in the 48 hour challenge.
So chances are we will be eagerly awaiting tonight’s episode to see what they actually do with the ceilings. You would have to presume if there is asbestos in the building that they will remove it.
At one stage last night it looked like The Block would be taking a macabre turn where it was staged to appear all the contestants were checking into a motel but a pretty rundown at that. Maybe they thought this was the result of NINE’s recent budget woes.
It must have felt like they were staying in Overlook Hotel from The Shining and it could have turned into a horror reality TV show with the contestants being told they were not on The Block but they just had to make it out alive. A bit like the 1997 sci-fi horror movie The Cube. (see trailer here)
The voice over told us married couple Bec and George were the first to arrive but in reception waiting were another team.
After they had all had a creepy night wondering if they were getting bed bugs they were rewarded with seeing Scott Cam on the roof of the building. Clearly the relief to see another human was great as Trixie gushed “He is such a handsome man”.
The contestants are:
- Bec and George from Vic;
- Madi and Jarrod from NSW;
- Alisa and Lysandra from SA;
- Matt and Kim from WA; and
- Trixie and Johnno from Qld.
Scott just gave them their first challenge. They would be given $10,000 to renovate a bathroom and bedroom. The team that wins will get the penthouse to renovate.
In summary this is what occurred:
- George had a small anxiety attack when he took down a bit of a wall and it revealed water pipes, and Bec calculated the wrong amount of tiles that they required;
- Lysandra and Alisa ignored Scott Cam of course after this they instantly became my favourite team;
- Matt and Kim showed yet again that WA is the home of the hipster but their navigational skills did not have a lot going for them;
- Trixie also had navigational issues as her sat nav was not taking her to the correct location, maybe the Tom Tom was protesting about the overt product placement of having Carpet Court plugged into it.
- Bec and George brought in the whole of their extended family to help with the labour. Which in my mind was unfair when everyone else was struggling to find tradies at short notice;
- Madi managed to get the vanity ahead of Bec and George but it looks like she is the first person to have the ambo called;
- Though Trixie looked like she was the first to be in tears but this could have been residual disappointment that she did not get to spend a night in Crown Casino Hotel.
The Block – Sky High on NINE at 7.00pm.
What did you think of the first episode.