The Voice Australia – The Third Showdown Was A Tad Lacklustre

The controversy tonight did not have anything to do with the singing it was more to do with Joel having the colours of Pepsi sprayed in his hair and on a badge on his vest. I am unsure whether he is still sponsored by Pepsi who knows but after the overt sponsorship in the previous hour on The Block Sky Rise I found it hard to get het up over the Joel Madden Pepsi conspiracy. Also the colours were the same as the USA flag….

It was a lacklustre night on The Voice with Seal showing he has a very weak team this year. Mitchell Anderson the 44 year-old was by far his strongest performer with his rendition of Joe Cocker’s The Letter.

Also Seal could remember he is no Deepak Chopra and should just stick to giving out music not life advice.

Apparently there was a feisty exchange between Seal and Delta after the Jac Stone sing Luka, which was not shown on television as it would appear they wanting to present the judges as still have a love fest going on. According to The Daily Telegraph where the journo was on set of the filming the exchange went like this:

In scenes likely to be sanitised in the editing suite, Goodrem angered the Kiss From A Rose singer when she described Jac Stone’s rendition of Suzanne Vega’s hit single Luka as “too introverted” and “went nowhere”.

While she praised Seal’s song choice, Goodrem cited artist differences with Stone’s performance, adding: “I didn’t feel I could completely engage.”

Given his chance to comment Seal asked the crowd to endorse the performance with applause then said to Stone: “that’s the sound of success.”

The emotionally fraught conversation continued during filming for the show’s website, when Goodrem explained she felt Stone had pulled faces and over-emoted.

Getting his own back, Seal snapped: “you do that.”

It would be good if Ricky would actually say something that meant anything.

I am on Team Delta on this one as Seal comes across as an egomaniac. In fact Joel Madden and Delta are my two favourite judges this year.

Though Joel gave an interview to the Daily Telegraph saying who he thought were the four strongest singers from each team. For the record he thought Michael Paynter from Team Joel, Celia Pavey from Team Delta, Harrison Craig from Team Seal and Miss Murphy from Team Ricky. It is interesting he went for Miss Murphy ahead of Caterina Torres. Full article here.

Tonight The Voice could have been subtitled “The professional singer trying to raise their profile” because most were professional performers.

Mitchell Anderson  was first up for Seal and he did a great rendition and he has his cute vote winning dad sitting in the audience. Also Mahalia Barnes tweeted her support. I dismissed Mitchell early but he is a stand out in a very weak team and that is all you have to be on this show the best in your team.

The tension must have been starting early between the coaches as the chatting between them after this performance was painful and uncomfortable.

Next up was Nicolas Roy who sang Jeff Buckley’s Last Goodbye. It was a performance that was a bit all over the place. Sure he hit most of the notes but it did not elicit a standing ovation from the audience nor make me want to pick up the phone.  Ricky said “How did you feel man?” Which is code for it was crap. Joel was the only one who was honest and said he never got comfortable the whole performance.

Jac Stone sang Luka. There were some nice moments in the song however at times it felt she was being over powered by the band.  Joel loved it. Delta thought it did not go anywhere for her. She apparently has been mentored by Powderfinger, but just not sure she has much that is memorable about her in a season of folksy quirky girls.

Shawne Kirke sang Last Request it was nice enough but not memorable. Ricky thought he could have controlled his vocals a bit more. Delta however said she loved it.

Mitchell and Shawne will probably be the two to get through on Team Seal.

Team Ricky was up next and first up was Caterina Torres and she belted out a Beyonce song. As Joel said she was fierce. The advantage she has is not only does she look good, but is the only power female voice in the competition. Big notes gets votes. I want to see more of her, but I am not sure the song was the best fit for her. As they say in reality TV land it would have been great to hear a bit of light and shade in her voice.

James Walker was next with Mr Brightside. He is more a JJJ unearthed contestant. It was dull with nothing original about his tone.  Joel said he saw him in front of a band. Seal liked his tone, Delta thought the girls at home would like him, and Ricky of course loved it. He said it was James own arrangement as he was a musician. His chances of moving forward in this competition is zero.

Next was Emma Pask the jazz singer singing Mas Que Nada. Sure she has a great jazz voice but it reminded me of a Carols By Candlight performance but it was note perfect. As Delta said it was a true pro’s performance. It will be interesting to see how she goes in the votes. However she has already won with Ricky saying he is recording a Brazillian album and would love her to be apart of it.

In lucky last spot was tenor  Luke Kennedy who is looking to start a new chapter of his life and move out of his comfort zone and so he made him sing Andrea Bocceli’s Time to Say Goodbye. Go figure. Seal thought it was pure class. Joel was funny when he said it made him see him on a white horse with wings.  Ricky said he needed to remain in his comfort zone for this performance but now we will go somewhere else. The crowd loved it. Also his suffering of depression back story will resonate with some the viewers.

Caterina Torres and Luke Kennedy will probably be the two to get through to the live shows from Team Ricky.

Who did you like?

1 Georgie { 05.13.13 at 10:59 am }

Agree with you on Caterina Torres and Luke Kennedy RR. They were the only two worth listening to last night. Also agree Delta has been the one to come out with some honest appraisal on occasions.

I nearly puked when Seal was telling Mitchell Anderson he has to appeal to the women at home (or some such advice). For mine, I wouldn’t care what he was offering, he would never appeal to me. He’s got that left-behind look, like Simon Meli, which just shows they missed the boat back then and maybe need to re-invent themselves.

2 Smee { 05.13.13 at 11:34 am }

I think Ricky has the strongest team and it is a 3 way tie for him who goes through. I couldn’t work out at the time why James Walker got through the earlier rounds and I still don’t know why.

I would like to know why Seal had a go at Delta for saying what she said about Jac Stone and yet Joel had said a similar thing about Nicolas Roy ” he never got comfortable the whole performance.”

Seal gave me the eebie jeebies last year and although he is not as bad this year he is still annoying with his ‘life classes’

3 2ndhand { 05.13.13 at 11:42 am }

I am trying to figure out why judges give some contestants the world’s hardest songs – last night was Jeff Buckley’s “the Last Goodbye” – which he actually sang rather well (last week was Imogen Brough with the celtic version “The Voice” – also well done, considering) and others get a free ride – Joe Cocker’s The Letter – which just about any of them could have carried off equally well. Bit of favouritism methinks!!!

4 brain dead dave { 05.13.13 at 12:10 pm }

I tend to agree that a drover’s dog could sing The Letter and the judges and audience would go nuts. Just like Simon Meli and Hold On, I’m Coming last week, the greatness of the song covers the multitude of sonic sins these musical miscreants bring. Lucky I’ve seen Joe Cocker three times, (it’s not his song btw). he sang it from the heart….Mitchell Anderson it ~was from some other place.

I played Nicholas Roy doing Last Goodbye over the phone to a friend who’s a Jeff Buckley fan. One of the most effortless maulings of a classic I’ve ever seen. Seal could have kept it real with something more suited to this guy’s talent….like Pop Goes The Weasel.

I then suffered through Jac Stone before going to The Biggest Loser,so thanks for recapping the rest RR til I can see it all encored on the weekend..

5 Fiona { 05.13.13 at 2:41 pm }

Definitely not a great night for Seal’s team – I wasn’t moved to vote for any of his team. Jac Stone was awful, but probably my favourite was Shawne, he is very genuine and his performance was heartfelt.
Ricky’s team is very strong, even James surprised me but he will be the first to go. Caterina was good but overcooked it for me. too many power notes perhaps just tried too hard. Emma performed brilliantly, I was ready to fast forward over her as I don’t like jazz but she did a great job, however, how can you compete against Luke? It’s apples and oranges, he must surely walk it this week. It will be interesting to see how he goes against Harrison in the pop-opera genre later on. I wish Seal wouldn’t pontificate so much, love your comment RR that he is not Deepak Chopra!! Ricky is a good coach but a terrible judge, Delta is much better this year. I am enjoying this season though, some great singers lining up for the final rounds.

6 Mel { 05.13.13 at 3:59 pm }

It was like two different shows last night, the first half of contestants looked like amateurs and dear god, how boring were the song choices? Lame and dated. Seal has been consistently poor on this front.

And really, trying to talk up Mitchell as if he’s some sort of sex god just waiting to bust out is bizarre. Kinda dumb to even be focusing on ‘sexy’ because through the whole performance women around the country were thinking to themselves, ‘sexy? I don’t think so’.

Seal’s ego is a touch inflated but clearly very fragile at the same time.

Once Caterina came on I woke up a tad but did think the dramatics of a wind machine and sultry stares into the camera were a bit over the top for mine.

How James Walker is even there is beyond me. Such a mystery. And it seems, apparently, he is thinking exactly the same thing. He looks like a lost 12 year old on stage who can’t quite believe he’s got this far either.

Emma? Meh.

Luke? Quite good. While I think his ‘depressive illness’ background will resonate with some, for others it might come across as, well, a little depressing. I hope that doesn’t sound mean!

I agree with Fiona that Delta is much better this year. Last year she was lambasted for her lame comments and she has definitely improved on that front. Can’t have it both ways.

7 Eliza { 05.13.13 at 6:33 pm }

Most of the time Delta is the only judge I listen to this time around. Joel is ok, but now he seems to just be resorting to hitting on the good looking female contestants! Ricky is really sweet and Seal is… well, he’s just Seal – I tune out.

Last night’s episode almost turned me off ever watching again. It was terrible! They should just get rid of all 4 from Seal’s team and bring back some poor deserving contestants that got booted off last week. It really does start to become a shame when these shows kick of good talent, yet mediocre singers are able to squeeze through. Caterina reminded me of Celine Dion with the wind machine and styling…

8 Di { 05.13.13 at 9:52 pm }

Whatever happened to last years winner, has anyone heard from her, you see the others but never her.

9 Eliza { 05.13.13 at 10:38 pm }

Di – last I heard she was doing some gigs at a festival and “working on new material”. Her hiatus has been too long IMO – she just kind of dropped off the radar which isn’t uncommon for the winners of these shows – where is Samantha Jade from X Factor???

10 Blake { 05.14.13 at 8:18 am }

Samantha Jade apparently has a new single coming out in June, although I think that may be leaving it a but too late to capitalise on a win that happened last November.

Sony seem to be allergic to female winners, for some reason they are trying to make Jason Owen happen. It doesn’t make much sense, considering Samantha’s first single was far more commercially successful than his.

11 Rona { 05.14.13 at 11:37 am }

Seems to me the voice is for professional singers. What chance do young ones have?

12 Gaby { 05.14.13 at 11:58 am }

The show was crap last night goooo d
Delta good honest comments

13 carol.bartz { 05.14.13 at 7:43 pm }

can’t the judges choose any decent songs.last night they were all crap

14 Nick { 05.14.13 at 8:16 pm }

Jac Stone was actually the highlight for me.

15 Ava { 05.25.13 at 10:38 pm }

The songs where crap but love Miss Murphy’s voice, I think she deserves to win. The judges seem to discard good contestants for ones they think need more help. Go figure.