Survivor Caramoan – And The Winner Is ….

It was no surprise after seeing the final tribal council that Cochran won the $1 million prize as sole surivor. He was a worthy and popular winner. The voting was unanimous with Dawn and Sherri unable to get a vote.

Cochran’s speech to the jury was I can’t out muscle, outcharm or even out strategise. I can beat people in timing. I’ve lied along the way I have deceived along the way and I own it.

Sherri’s was just all over the place where she basically admitted she did not need the money telling them she was a successful business woman with three franchises and 75 staff. But then she was really not in with a shot so it would not have mattered if she had given a speech as rousing as Martin Luther King’s she still would not have pulled one vote.

Dawn who some saw as a favourite going into tribal told the jury how hard she found it to be duplicitous and that she had to give herself permission to play the game.

She received quite a bit of antagonism from the jury particularly Brenda who was clearly still upset from being blindsided by her. Brenda forced her to take her retainer out to show the world the gap in her teeth. Brenda’s rationale was that she was wanting to make her feel the hurt she felt by being voted out. But it did come across as a bit churlish.

Whereas Cochran’s duplicity was rewarded, Dawn who had played a similar game was maligned and to me there was a bit of sexism in this. It was OK for Cochran to strategise but Dawn was meant to be nice. Sure she probably did make deeper personal connections with some of the people out there but they all blindside or get blindsided at some point. Props to Andrea for owning that aspect of the show. See her interview here.

Erik was on the jury because he was medically evacuated which he talks more about that in an interview I will put up later this afternoon. Also he says how the pre-jury cast were not happy about not being onstage at the live reunion show nor was he happy that Jeff Probst did not ask him a question like all the other jury members. And fair point considering we had to see that silly skit with Richard Hatch and Rudy who really added nothing to the episode. Also Boston Rob received time to spruik his Boston Rob Rule Book. For the record it is real and you can get it here.

If you are wanting to get Cochran’s essay on the Survivor jury system that is harder to acquire as he is keeping it hidden because he thinks it is not that good.

Erik collapsed straight after tribal council and was removed from the game at one stage it looked like he might have had an option to stay in but he needed fluids and the doctors said he was gone.

For the first time ever Eddie looked like he was in control as he is a fireman and an EMT and he talked like he knew what he was doing. Hopefully he will stick to his day job as his dream to open an animal shelter attached to a bar does not seem like the brightest business idea.

He must have been gutted to be removed this late from the game as he would have gone top three. Probably an unworthy top three as it looked like he had not strategised at all.

Once Erik was out it was four of them battling it out in the reward challenge with the reward being you would win an advantage in the immunity challenge. Cochran won the stacking of a house of cards challenge. But he was still trying to create a decent relationship with Eddie as he thought he might win the last immunity challenge.

Also Cochran was wondering whether to ditch Dawn.

“Everyday I get to see a new freak out from Dawn” said Cochran he said it was related to the sudden influx of paranoia.

“On day 37 she should be paranoid as I am considering ditching her”. Obviously he didn’t but what did emerge in the last couple of episodes was how hard Dawn was to live with.

The advantage Cochran won for the immunity chalenge meant he did not have not have to untie his bags, this was a big advantage even though he was the first one up the stairs. Has Cochran turned into an alpha male?

He was the first down with the puzzle pieces. At one stage it looked like Dawn was catching up with him but in the end he won the immunity challenge.

Eddie was voted out and Sherri and Dawn went to the final tribal council.

The next season is called Blood vs Water with some returning players. Reality Blurred has some casting spoilers if your are interested.

1 Techhater { 05.14.13 at 12:14 pm }

RR It was very obvious that Brandon wasn’t there. Perhaps you could ask someone you interview their perspective of why that was.

JStar am looking forward to your thoughts and views on last night’s show.

2 PollyB { 05.14.13 at 12:15 pm }

Yay, Cochran!

3 Andrea { 05.14.13 at 1:12 pm }

So happy Cochran won, it was so obvious that he had all the jury on his side. Poor Dawn having to take her teeth out, how embarrassing for her!.

I would have liked to have seen her kids that she mentioned in the front row and I thought it was awful that the pre jury contestants were not allowed on stage.
They deserved a few words at least, rather than Rudy and Richard Hatch who have had their time.

I was also very worried for Eric, he looked so sick and so thin when he had his collapse, and for Jeff to not even speak to him at the finale was rude imo.
Why did Sherri even bother going on the show if she is so rich, she really took offence at some of the questioning from the jury.

Good on you Cochran/JStar for winning!
Can’t wait for the next one in September, I thought the clues meant The Red Sea!

4 Techhater { 05.14.13 at 1:28 pm }

Andrea I thought the Red Sea as well and then my son said “blood’s thicker than water” look’s like he was right. I wonder if in past seasons how many have been an absolute slam dunk like last night. I’m sure JStar would know the stats on that. I would be interested.

5 JStar { 05.14.13 at 1:30 pm }

So looking forward to those interviews RR. I understand Brenda’s rationale about wanting to hurt Dawn at the end as it was evident in her voice that she was still emotionally destroyed by that blindside. On an evil note, Brenda’s “Show me your teeth!” moment makes up for the fact that Corrine was not on the jury to lash out. Yeah, she came off as childish and crawled into the gutter but it was guilty viewing pleasure from my end. Very biting! :)

Interesting to note that in the Ponderosa clips of the jury members talking, none of them planned on voting for Sherri. She had no shot. Most seemed to have drawn the conclusion that it was Cochran’s game to lose but they all agreed both Dawn and Cochran played similarly. I would say most were leaning towards voting for Cochran but were hoping for Dawn to blow them away in the Final Tribal Council to switch the vote. From a strategic gamepoint, Dawn should have been rewarded with at least some votes because most of the jury agreed that she was the one who really worked her relationships with people to orchestrate all of the moves. But as we saw in the jury questions, this was also held against her. I think you brought up double-standards before and Dawn kind of touched on it in her final jury speech as well. In the end, though, a lot of the jury members found it difficult to reconcile how Dawn could so “cold bloodedly” cut people loose – the same people who helped her though the game, mentally, during her almost daily paranoid breakdowns.

RR. You forgot to mention some of the “highlights” of the final episode. That included how completely clueless both Sherri and Eddie are. What?! Got to take out Dawn before the Final Three? Did they not see how she burned people who thought they were so close to her? I hope when you speak to Eddie RR, you can remind him that it is okay to be both beautiful and dumb. He can make more money posing for charity calendars than running his dog kennel bar. And Sherri. Yes, she played a strong game pre-merge by why the hell not mention that in her jury speech? Could she seriously not see that due to circumstance, she was taken to the Final Three by the controlling alliance? Hey, it is not her fault that she was forced to play a passive game post-merge but why not own it like Sandra did in Heroes vs Villains? Did she not think it was not a bright idea to mention how successful she was financially and then ask people to give her a million dollars afterwards?

The finale had an air in inevitability to it all. This was Cochran’s game to lose. He had sewn up a Final Three alliance with everyone left. Cochran is right. His game was about great timing. He knew his name was floated around for future votes and took out people (Corrine, Malcolm, Andrea, Brenda) before they could get him. Dawn’s game was equally good but again, as I mentioned in an earlier post, taking Brenda out AFTER the family reward challenge was a move that did not benefit her at all. Killed her shot of the million dollars. Smart move but it was the wrong time to do it for Dawn’s chances.

And maybe for future finales, how about NOT giving someone an advantage for the final immunity challenge? That was highly unfair. Didn’t help Malcolm last season but that challenge wasn’t physical. In a challenge that was part-physical, Cochran’s advantage was huge. And a word to Dimples before he heads off to film Season 27: We have run out of gimmicky twists, I wouldn’t be submitting the reunion episode for my Emmy consideration. Firstly, to not put any of the pre-jury boots on stage, particularly the strong editing focus on Shamar, Brandon, and Corrine was disrespectful. I get that Brandon was banned from the finale but that should have been addressed. Geez, even Sue Hawk turned up to the finale for All-Stars after threatening to sue the producers for being sexually violated by Richard Hatch – who was invited to be on this finale! News flash! Richard Hatch is a convicted felon! The pandering towards Rudy and Richard and letting Boston Rob pimp himself, yet again, in another finale that had nothing to do with him made me sick. #Puke #Vomit #Hurl I was quite disappointed in the way Dimples handled the reunion. No questions to Erik? Sherri? Didn’t she place equal-second? Trying to get Dawn to apologise to Brenda but letting Brenda get off scott-free for humuliating Dawn? Big fail in his performance at the reunion.

6 JStar { 05.14.13 at 1:38 pm }

@Techhater – Thanks for the shout-out. In terms of receiving a unanimous vote at the final tribal council, Earl (Season 14: Fiji), J.T. (Season 18: Tocantins), and now Cochran (Season 26: Caramoan) are the only ones to have achieved that. Both Earl and Cochran did this whilst there was a final three scenario. However, both J.T. and Cochran are the only ones to have played a season without a single vote cast against him during the entire time. (Earl got one vote during his entire season). For Cochran, that marks a major turnaround from the first time he played as he received a vote in almost every single tribal council he was involved in.

7 Andrea { 05.14.13 at 1:50 pm }

JStar, you are right, why on earth would Sherri mention to the jury before they voted that she was rich and didn’t need the money anyway, was she trying to save face? And yes, it was rude of Jeff not to speak to her either, things could have been done way better.
Also JStar, since Brenda looked quite advanced in her pregnancy, how long after the final show do the contestants have to wait to see who wins? It must be months.
Dawn also looked much fuller in the face so she’d had a long time to put on weight.

8 Bolders { 05.14.13 at 1:54 pm }

RR I dont think it was sexism that Dawn was so unliked. I didnt like her and it was, for me down to her fakeness, her pretense and facade that I couldnt stand plus the continous wailing that got tedious. Others who connived along side her didnt do that and didnt go into the whole let’s hug every few seconds and let me tell you how wonderful you are.
I mean, give me a break.
As much as I didnt like her and found her emotional reactions tedious, I thought that the bit about her teeth during the jury quesitoning was humiliating and really, a low blow. Even taking into account how Brenda felt, to have a woman humiliate herself that way was icky.

Can someone explain why Cochrane wanted to be known by his surname?

9 Lucille { 05.14.13 at 2:02 pm }

Yes Techhater. I thought likewise egarding the slam-dunk and replayed it several times to check to see if Cochrane’s vote was unanimous. I didn’t think that they made it clear.
I thought Cochrane’s advantage in the immunity was huge and much greater than the one Malcom recieved. I wondered if after Cochrane had won the advantage, producers didn’t make it even easier for him to win knowing that he was the more popular of the left overs.

I wasn’t thrilled with the final three. Cochran was OK, Dawn was very unappealing, and Sherry showed what she was like when she refused to let that guy have his say. I would prefer Survivor to be more Survivor and less Connivor.

10 Techhater { 05.14.13 at 2:03 pm }

JStar thanks for the facts. Very informative.

Andrea I couldn’t understand why Sherri said that to the jury either. I can’t help but think that she had at least 24 hours to prepare what to say and then raves on about how successful she was. Maybe if she had just admitted that she was carried through to final 3 she may have got a vote. But to say she played a strategic game etc won her no points.

I do think Cochran’s win proves you don’t have to be “evil,” malicious or strong and “pretty” to win. You just have to be honest about how you played. And hope for the timing to be right.

11 Lucille { 05.14.13 at 2:07 pm }

Yes actually it was interesting how Cochran managed to really be in control of the game and yet not come out as a villain or back-stabber. It’s quite unique I think. I think like you said techhater. It was because he played it like chess and din’t drag on peopl’es emotions.

12 Bolders { 05.14.13 at 2:10 pm }

@Lucille – 11, JT was the same as well. He was well liked in his season and was the first and only (until Cochrane that is) winner that won all the votes in the finale and had none cast against him leading up to the final vote.

13 Lucille { 05.14.13 at 2:19 pm }

Bolders, was he the fireman? I loved that older fireman. Now HE was a survivor. I loved that he won for his ability to physically and mentally strong, as opposed to sneaky. And he was such a decent guy.

14 Techhater { 05.14.13 at 2:20 pm }

Bolders it was the first season Cochran was in that he asked to be known by his surname. I’m sure JStar will be able to give more info as to why.

Lucille “Conniver” I like that. Have to ask did your husband think of that. (Am not being mean just curious.)

15 Alan { 05.14.13 at 2:21 pm }

I don’t think Dawn’s treatment was sexist. A man who continually played for sympathy and then slaughtered the people who helped him would have got the same reaction. Despite all that, Brenda’s effort at tribal was so disgusting (and so ineffectual in game terms) she managed to make me feel bad for Dawn.

Cochran had blindsided and booted the same people as Dawn but he hadn’t demanded emotional and physical support from them first. And he owned his game and Dawn did not.

Dawn played a good tactical game, but like Russell Hantz, her tactical game destroyed her social game and any chance of attracting jury votes. Hantz actually did better at jury votes than Dawn, but he had not spent the season bursting into tears at frequent intervals or appealing for sympathy from people he planned to boot.

Cochran played the same tactical game as Dawn, but didn’t alienate the jury by backstabbing.

16 Lucille { 05.14.13 at 2:25 pm }

Very insightful of you techhater. In fact he did.

17 JStar { 05.14.13 at 2:26 pm }

@Andrea – The seasons used to vary in terms of filming times but ever since Season 19 (Samoa), a decision was made to double-up on the location to save money. Season 25 (Philippines) was filmed a week after the One World reunion. There was a two-week break before Malcolm returned for Season 26 (Caramoan). So when the Philippines premiered on the US in September, Lisa, Penner, Abi-Maria, Denise, etc had already been back in the “real world” for three months. For this season’s cast, they would have been back in “the real world” for about ten months. Enough time to stack on all the weight (plus more) that they lost.

@Bolders – when Cochran played the first time around on Season 23, he announced to Dimples that he wanted to be known by his surname in the game as all the great (male) players were always called by their surnames. It just stuck after that.

18 Bolders { 05.14.13 at 2:43 pm }

@Lucille 13 – JT was the cowboy:

He won suvivor Tocantis. He was actually a lot of fun to watch.

Techater and JStar – Thanks for the explanation re Cochrane. I always feel like yelling that out: COCHRANE! As in KHAN! fom Star Trek.

Forgive me.

19 Bolders { 05.14.13 at 2:44 pm }

@Lucille 13 – JT was the cowboy:

He won suvivor Tocantis. He was actually a lot of fun to watch.

20 Techhater { 05.14.13 at 2:46 pm }

I’ve been watching Survivor since All Stars 2004. And please correct me if i’m wrong. But the lack of food seemed a real issue this season. More so than past seasons. Was there a lack of fish or a lack of fishing ability this season.

21 Andrea { 05.14.13 at 2:49 pm }

Bolders, are you a trekkie too?
I’ve just come home from seeing the new Star Trek movie with KHAN in it, it was great, sorry to get off the track!

Techhater, funny how we both thought the clue meant The Red Sea and we were both wrong.
Did you want to see more of Dawn’s 6 adopted kids and their story? I did, and Dimples didn’t do enough last night IMO.

22 Techhater { 05.14.13 at 2:59 pm }

Andrea I thought it was one of the worst Reunion Shows ever. I agree with other comments made already about treatment of Eric and Sherri, not to mention pre-jury cast. And yes I want answers about Brandon. Why wasn’t he there. How long did he stay at Ponderosa. Was he taken somewhere else etc. Yes i’ve read the interviews but I still would like truthful answers.

23 Andrea { 05.14.13 at 3:05 pm }

I just found this which might be of interest, I wanted to know about Brandon as well..http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/13/survivor-caramoan-dawn-meehan-brenda/

24 Calliegirl { 05.14.13 at 3:06 pm }

I didn’t for a minute feel sorry for Dawn when Brenda demanded she take her teeth out. I would say she got her just deserts!
I also thought the editing of family, friends and survivors not on the Jury to be almost non-existent this series.
Even though Dawn and Cochran played a similar game – he was just easier to warm to. Dawn by her over-the-top behavior to absolutely every situation was just plain annoying…

25 PollyB { 05.14.13 at 3:17 pm }

Dawn is soooo passive aggressive, I would hate to be one of her children. Cochrane played a completely different game in that he adapted well and moved as required at the time. He deserved it so much more than Dawn.
I was cheering Brenda on at tribal because of the way Dawn carried on about losing her teeth. It was as though someone had died, and fair enough that would have been awful. However, she had just admitted she had no intention of leaving the game if Brenda hadn’t retrieved them so she got what she deserved. That was the thing for me about Dawn, everything, ev-er-y-thing resulted in completely over the top responses, from the teeth episode to congratulating challenge winners. She was insincere and conniving and wouldn’t own any of it.

26 Techhater { 05.14.13 at 3:40 pm }

Andrea thanks for the link.

27 Sioux Denim { 05.14.13 at 4:13 pm }

Yay Cochrane!
Have yet to see the reunion hour but by the sounds of it I really havent missed much…..that would be a first heh that the pre-jury cast weren’t on….must have been the whole Brandon shambles….
Not impressed at all with Brenda and the whole teeththing, she should have just sucked it up….very humiliating for Dawn….thats the game!
I really did feel for Sherri though the way she was totally overlooked at the Jury questions….what a dick Phil is, didnt he make Final 3 also, heh JStar can you remember if he got any votes to win? I loved Sherri’s smackdown to Eric, that guy is a goose and was so happy he not in Final 3….
Wow, we have to wait til Sept now for next one right?

28 Carole { 05.14.13 at 6:32 pm }

I read an article recently that the next season is to be filmed in the Philippines too, but further up north this time.

Haven’t watched the reunion yet, had to get up early today so just watched till the winner was announced. I’ve been reading so many Tweets about how it was the worst reunion ever.

From what I remember of Cochrane wanting to be called by his last name in his first season, they were reluctant to call him that till he had proved himself. Well he definitely earns it now, he played a completely different game this time and finally proved himself. I didn’t realise either that all the votes were for Cochrane. It didn’t look like Jeff read them all out because it wasn’t necessary after he had so many votes. When Malcolm cast his vote, he said he didn’t think he’d be voting for that person. I had thought he was probably talking about Dawn.

That first challenge could have been anybody’s. So many times someone would nearly have it, then they would all fall.

I don’t know why Sherri would say that about being a wealthy either. Russel was a millionaire and he never told anybody that. The jury seemed to be in hysterics at everything Sherri said. That is those who actually bothered to ask her anything. Most of them overlooked her.

Sherri tweeted today that it was a year ago that she left to go to film Survivor so JStar would be right about it being about 10 months.

29 JStar { 05.14.13 at 7:33 pm }

@Sioux Denim – Yes. Even Phillip scored a vote when he first played Survivor. Ralph voted for him to win. Who was Ralph? He was the token “redneck” cast member whom stereotypically had a very thick accent and was barely literate. He spelt everyone’s name incorrectly at every Tribal Council including gems such as “Ressell” and “Philite”.

30 Sioux Denim { 05.14.13 at 11:11 pm }

Hahaha JStar, I do remember him, always love a good hillbilly!

31 Culinary Boner { 05.15.13 at 9:23 am }

A winner who looked like he’d just walked off the set of Revenge of the Nerds and older women with detachable teeth???
Did Stifler’s Mom compete this season and what did she eat? – http://cdn.attualissimo.it/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/2011/05/mamma_stifler_american_pie_8-150×150.png

32 Techhater { 05.15.13 at 9:59 am }

CB in that position Stifler’s mum looks very much like AJay. Lol

33 Carole { 05.15.13 at 8:35 pm }

Just read an article on who is coming back for the next season. Fucking Colton!!!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooo, I hated him. Rupert is coming back too, so is Kat & RC.