House Rules Kicks Off With A Fast Paced First Episode

House Rules kicked off last night with the news that not only do you get your dump house renovated but also if you win you get your mortgage paid off.

Many people including myself must have thought how they could make their house look really run down so they could get on the show if there is a season two.

Jemma and Ben who have a $540,000 mortgage and their house is the first to be renovated. Who knew houses in Perth were so expensive considering the house looked like to be on a main road opposite a car yard.

Even if they get a really bad reno it will still be better then what they had and the positive is they get the structural stuff done as well. Who cares if the colour in the living room is not to your taste that can be repainted.  Anything will be an improvement for them as currently the bathroom and laundry were in the middle of the house.

Also their house appears to have been built on sand with just concrete poured on top it we get to see what they are going to do about that tonight.

Some people got easier rooms then others to renovate. The brothers have to do a kitchen first up and lucky for them the interior designer Carolyn Burns-McCrave pointed out that it was a big mistake having a sink next to the stove. She looks like she is going to be a sassy addition to the show.

By they way more shots of the builder Chester Drife please. Clearly he is a man who knows what to do with his hands.

We know that each room has a different amount of money assigned to it for their renovation but not what it is. Clearly the Queensland team will only get petty cash to do up the hallway and beauty room. Amy was not happy that she could not even expand the size of the beauty room. However the Tassie team were not going to compromise of their bathroom laundry.

It was a fast paced first episode and considering we will see the transformation quickly the show should engage viewers. At this stage Michelle is looking like she is going to the the series villain but these things always change over the course of the series.

Joanna Griggs was good as host not that she has had much to do at this stage but she is nice but commanding figure.

House Rules on Wednesday and Thursday night on SEVEN at 7.30pm.

1 The Block – Lysandra And Alisa’s Was Not The Worst Room | reality ravings { 05.15.13 at 10:50 am }

[…] battle of the reno shows with ratings showing they had 1.3 million viewers compared to 803,000 for House Rules. At this stage both are showing they are going to be good series however will people watch two […]

2 Culinary Boner { 05.15.13 at 1:01 pm }

Johanna Griggs may indeed have a “commanding figure”, Raver.
But ratings of 800,000 don’t match her stature.
The whole we-are-struggling-battlers-poor-us-give-us-some-money-we-won’t-waste-it-…-much shtick in the ads for this show were an immediate turnoff. Is this a reno show or some new ‘social welfare’ experiment?

3 layla { 05.15.13 at 1:14 pm }

It was that annoying brunette woman they kept featuring in the ads who put me off watching this show and it looks like I’m not alone. There’s already a home renovation show on TV (The Block), we don’t need two on at the same time. Channel 7 are dumb to do this. When is The Mole going to start?

And HI!!!!! to everyone. I’m still about – just NOTHING interesting on TV to talk about. Le sigh…

4 Reality Raver { 05.15.13 at 1:24 pm }

CB – good point about that. I thought it was OK and will be a much faster pace then The Block so don’t have to see every nail hammered in.

Layla – hi Layla I think you are right two reno shows are too much at the same time.

5 Littlepetal { 05.15.13 at 1:26 pm }

Good to hear from you, layla. Hope you are doing well with your TAFE course

6 Andrea (formerly A.P ) { 05.15.13 at 1:44 pm }

Yes, hi Layla!
I have to say I was surprised that I gave this show a go as I don’t like The Block at all, but I quite liked it so far.
Its much faster paced and its good that everyone wins, one couple gets a free week off to have a holiday, and everyone ends up with a fully renovated home and one lucky couple gats their mortgage paid off, sounds like a win win situation for all.
I like the way we only have to wait a week to see each house, it wasn’t made clear if there are any eliminations or silly time wasting challenges.

7 Littlepetal { 05.15.13 at 1:58 pm }

So how do they pick the winner? Is it the best renovated house will win? Then the team that win actually did not have anything to do with the reno. I don’t understand

8 Veronica { 05.15.13 at 2:47 pm }

I found the show easy to watch and far less annoying than the block has become.
I think the producers are smart to feature a different house each week because viewers can become involved throughout the series instead of feeling they need to watch from the beginning or not at all.
I like the voice telling us what’s going on instead of listening to the contestants repeating themselves.
Having said the above, I’ll switch over to MC if it starts up.

9 Daze { 05.15.13 at 4:02 pm }

I think I’m wrong, but each time gets scored by the owners of the house being renovated and the couple with the highest score from all houses, win?? Saying that, I would say each couple would get rostered to do a kitchen each so its not always the same couple doing the same room in different houses. It’s very fast paced and I enjoyed it last night but my, the woman from Tasmania was annoying me. Love the young couple from Qld. Don’t like the concept of The Block nor that Cam bloke either Veronica. I loved The Renovators but yes I agree HR is better without the challenges.