The Block – Lysandra And Alisa’s Was Not The Worst Room

The Block looks like they are ahead in the battle of the reno shows with ratings showing they had 1.3 million viewers compared to 803,000 for House Rules. At this stage both are showing they are going to be good series however will people watch two renovation shows. However once The Voice is not on tonight SEVEN should see more people watching.

Last night it was judgement day for the boutique hotel room challenge and it would decide who would get the Penthouse to renovated which theoretically should get the bigger profit.

Trixie and Johnno’s room was thought to be the best and they got the Penthouse. They probably did have the best room out of the five particularly with their green ceiling in the bathroom.

Lysandra and Alisa were relegated to the first floor as their room was deemed the worst. Not helped by the fact their bathroom was not finished through no fault of their own as their tiler walked off the job. They don’t have the advantage of having family to call on like Bec and George seemed to be doing. Nor do they have a tradie in their team like all the others. So the judges should have cut them a bit of slack.

I thought the SA policewomen’s bedroom did scream luxe and was probably the best design wise.

Unlike hipster WA team Kim and Jarrod, whose room was like something out of a low rent B&B. Bec and George’s rooms were not great either it was all black like something you would see in a fetish brothel not a boutique hotel.

Here’s a prediction once the fighting starts the washing and cooking for the other teams by Bec’s mum will cease.

What did you think of the rooms? Who do you think should have got the Penthouse? And is it unfair that Bec and George can bring in family and friends to help?

The Block on at 7pm weeknights on NINE.

1 Anna { 05.15.13 at 11:28 am }

Bec & George’s fit out was the worst.. Who wants to be in a black room & black bathroom … Depressing !!!!

Thought Penhouse should have gone to Madi & Jarod.

Even tough the teams were allocated room to renovate if I were Trixie & Co I’d be painting the bedroom white.. All black would drive me nuts

Find it interesting that teams selected always have tradies, apart from the twins. Phil & Amity were season one …

Washing / home meals will stop as soon as bitchiness starts & if Scotty’s previews anything to go by, should be soon

2 Kleinewurstsemmel { 05.15.13 at 12:41 pm }

I thought most of the rooms were crap. The twins met the brief for me – it was the only room I’d want to sleep in. Their room may have been unfinished but did you see the state of some of the finishes in the other rooms?

3 sue { 05.15.13 at 1:04 pm }

First week and the Twin mothers already on with tears crying ” we’ve left our husbands and babys, we are at a disadvantage that we are two women… blah blah blah, I think the organisers need to set a bar that at least one male per and some sort of trade, two women teams should not be allowed …………..get off stop crying or go home

4 Anna { 05.15.13 at 1:24 pm }

Sue, taking tradies on puts others at a disadvantage. Not only tradies renovate. Tradies cannot afford to take time of from either their business or their bosses might not give them time off, since most of them want to start their own business after the show.

Bosses take on 16kids and train them for years.

Twins showed their soft side and camera crew decided to show it… Guessing that only Trixie has kids

The engaged couple on the 2nd floor already started to bug me…. renovating at 11.30pm? Seriously?

5 Louise { 05.15.13 at 1:54 pm }

It was the twins decision to go on the show knowing that it was likely that they would be at a disadvantage by not having one of them be a tradie. They just need to suck it up.

6 Lea { 05.15.13 at 1:56 pm }

I am *looooooooving* Sky High! Meh to the other show, but I will watch them both for now.

Also felt it really unfair ( as I have in the past ) to judge on finishes rather than foresight/design. The girls room was *luxe* .. so they had some sloppy paint and missing tiles .. because they’ve all swapped, I dare say most of ther initial rooms will be trashed in favour of a consistant overall vibe anwyay … plus, just to make the complete floor ‘their own’…

7 Gabby { 05.15.13 at 2:40 pm }

I’m enjoying show. Twins new from outset how long they would be away from home so why the tears after a few days, I thought they were going to be stronger than that. I did like there room best and hated black room, although Bec was shocked when they didn’t win, look of utter surprise on her face. No definitely not fair that they should have family and friends to help. Also there should be a shut off tools time, I would go crazy if others were using tools in middle of night.
I can see there are going to be plenty of fights. Who was it that said they are on different floors so won’t see each other, so no fights?

8 Louise { 05.15.13 at 3:15 pm }

I don’t see a problem with them getting friends and family in to help provided that it is confirmed that they are paying them a flat rate. If they aren’t paying them that’s a different story but if they are, then it’s an advantage that they have same as teams have advantages if they are seasoned renovators or if one of them is a tradie.

9 Warble { 05.16.13 at 1:19 pm }

Bit rough to be criticising a grizzle or cry. These people are exhausted, sleep deprived, in unfamiliar surroundings and interstate. It’s very difficult to keep it together 24/7 with those conditions. Sometimes you just need to release and move on.

10 Gabby { 05.16.13 at 1:59 pm }

Sorry Warble @ 9 I see where you are coming from. I suppose it would all get on top of you and the tiniest thing would set you off, and of course you would be missing your kids like crazy. They will need to toughen up though because it is not an easy job they have ahead of them and I do hope they are strong enough mentally and physically to pull it off.
Louise @ 8 if they are paying all the friends and rellies at the going rate, fair enough.

11 Helen { 05.16.13 at 4:43 pm }

I don’t watch renovation programs (yawn) but I have hurt my leg and couldn’t reach the remote and ended up watching this one. It’s watchable – just – but as I haven’t been watching it recently I got bored really easily. As for the other program – House Rules, that looks even worse, I won’t be tuning in to that either, even if I have to crawl to the tv to turn it over.

12 Rocky { 05.17.13 at 7:17 pm }

Just got around to watching the last couple of episodes. Had to check in at one of my favorite sites for feedback. I see the consensus was , as I thought as well, that the twins deserved better than the bottom floor. They had the best design and took the biggest risks. Now that room definitely fit the brief of upscale boutique. Just seems like they should have been rewarded for that look and effort, even with the uncooperative tradies, with at least one of the top three floors. That wet bar area /mini bar in the room along with built-in closets and the platformed bed with rich appointments like time-consuming hand hung wallpapers etc. While the others basically just tried to get a room finished with the most basic and least embellishments as possible. Reward the risk and the efforts./

13 Kayley { 05.26.13 at 10:44 pm }

Kim & Jarrod ? Lol i think you mean Kim & Matt, Madi & Jarrod.. 😉 to be honest the twins room wasn’t my favourite, but it definitely didn’t deserve last! I like Madi & Jarrods :-)