Is Masterchef Now Copying My Kitchen Rules And Bringing On The Nasty?

When My Kitchen Rules started four years ago it was accused of copying the then ratings juggernaut Masterchef Australia. However this year Masterchef could be accused of copying My Kitchen Rules.

First there is the promo where they are setting up an adversarial theme for the show with the males versus female, also they have given contestants monikers just has MKR did. This includes labels like The Tiger Mum, Daddy’s Little Princess and The Dude.

And now it appears they might be trying to bring on the nasty which was a staple of this year My Kitchen Rules.

Word is the Masterchef contestant’s are being encouraged to be harsh about the other contestants. The classic trick being used when they are not being bitchy enough they are told “Did you know that this person is saying about you”.

Considering Gary Mehigan took a swipe at the latest series of My Kitchen Rules this year he might want to get his own house in order first.

He told SMH:

“Masterchef: The Professionals really appealed to a foodie set, dedicated foodie people and they loved it,” Mehigan said.

“Then you look at MKR and it’s kind of glamorous, it’s kind of different and it appeals to bogan Australia and there’s bitchiness and all that drama.

“Soap drama is easy. It’s chewing gum fo the eyes and Masterchef is never going to be that.”

It will be interesting to see how far Masterchef Australia is pushing the villains considering it appears they are setting the viewer up to be negative about some of the contestants particularly the ones with the titles of The Tiger Mum and Daddy’s Little Princess.

Do you think Masterchef will be trying to emulate MKR in style for ratings?

Masterchef Australia is rumoured to start on TEN on June 3.

1 Culinary Boner { 05.23.13 at 11:47 am }

Plenty of previous contestants went by the title, ‘The Dud’.

Can’t wait for the try-hard lame-a-thon that is MCA to begin.

2 Emma { 05.23.13 at 11:52 am }

That 50’s house wife drives me nuts. She comes across as a complete contradiction. I wonder if she is really like that, or she is just reading a script.

3 Georgie { 05.23.13 at 12:07 pm }

“Do you think Masterchef will be trying to emulate MKR in style for ratings?”

Maybe someone has told Gazza that ‘bogan Australia’ watch all the craptastic RTV on offer. Funny that!

4 Culinary Bogan { 05.23.13 at 12:18 pm }

Hey Gaz, I changed my name just for you.

Listen ya pommy git, explain this to us sunshine – http://thingsboganslike.com/tag/masterchef/

5 brain dead dave { 05.23.13 at 12:24 pm }

There’s plenty of nastiness from Gary, George and Jowl$y in the latest “Worst Meal Ever’ promo. Gary should lay off bogans and get back to licking his knife.

The battle of the sexes theme is outdated and uber lame. Those who’ve watched Ma$terchef before will know that most of the guys and most of the girls won’t be able to cook for jack. It’s not a gender thing-just desperately deluded ,incompetent types.

6 annajjj { 05.23.13 at 12:25 pm }

Not sure if I can bring myself to watch it – the tweeness of the preview ads has put me off a bit.

7 Culinary Boner { 05.23.13 at 12:38 pm }

If they want this season to be TRULY NASTY, they should follow the lead of Hell’s Kitchen (or Beauty and the Geek if you haven’t got Foxtel) and install a communal hot tub:

8 Culinary Boner { 05.23.13 at 12:58 pm }

Some Hell’s Kitchen dialogue involving the wonderful lady in the hot tub, Lacey* showing that “nasty” can be entertaining but only if you’ve the right talent on board:

“[Lacey has just served some badly carved lamb]
Gordon: Oh, my God!
Lacey: Hmm… F*ck me!
Gordon: Come here, all of you! What is that!? The f*cking bone’s thicker than the meat! WHAT IS THAT?!
Lacey: I don’t know chef!
Gordon: (hurls the lamb in the bin) It’s NOT good enough! GET OUT! YOU’RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH! PISS OFF!
[Lacey walks into the storage cupboard; Chef Ramsay follows her]
Gordon: Madam, look at me. Let’s be honest, you’re done. You can’t waste my time any longer!
Lacey: I agree.
Gordon: Give me your jacket, and leave Hell’s Kitchen. And go in there, and say goodbye. Properly, say it properly! Let’s go.
Lacey: [to the blue team] Thank you for everything!
[Danny quickly waves to Lacey and then resumes cooking;
Ben and Robert** ignore her altogether]
Robert: (interview to camera) There’s a small violin, just for Lacey. [blows a raspberry] She sucks. Adios, biaatch.
Gordon: Okay. Piss off! Let’s go! Step up a gear.”

* The best ever contestant on Hell’s Kitchen who combined a total inability to cook with extreme life-sapping laziness and an up-yours-eat-my-shorts attitude.

** The second best ever Hells Kitchen contestant. A morbidly obese young guy who took no prisoners with his hilariously bitchy, marvelously descriptive but intelligent comments.

9 brain dead dave { 05.23.13 at 1:07 pm }

“The Stockman”-lol. Hands off snakey, $hine.

10 Culinary Boner { 05.23.13 at 1:20 pm }

They should have given nicknames previously but on a strictly truth-in-advertising basis with no bloody cliches, as in the following:

‘The Industrial Accident Just Waiting to Happen” – http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/img/jake_exit2.jpg

“The Cad” – http://www.throng.com.au/files/u1388/chris.jpg

“The Microwaver” – http://images.smh.com.au/2010/05/04/1405631/Kate_Nugara_420-420×0.jpg

“Mr Manners” – http://www.masterchef.com.au/images/CaptionThis5.jpg

11 Littlepetal { 05.23.13 at 1:22 pm }

Gary can say what he likes but he has no say on how the show run. I also can smell the nastiness with the promo. The girls team will be like the girls team on CA. Claws will be out.

Sorry Gary, the show is cater for bogans and so will go the bogan way. Maybe you should not be a judge on this show if it is too bogan for you.

12 Littlepetal { 05.23.13 at 1:23 pm }

Oh Dear. I hope we are not going to start World War 4 with the bogan talk. Me bad.

13 Anna { 05.23.13 at 1:31 pm }

Emma, the 50′s house wife is a say home ‘mum’, raising her girlfriends kids… she is one tough nut and will be annoying everyone till the day she is booted

The female who states that ‘we are used to grooming ourselves’, I already want her OUT and the show hasn’t started yet

Dave, this year bogan $hine have classed everyone…. USA thinks we are a pathetic joke. Read a review in the Huffington Post around 4 weeks ago.

14 brain dead dave { 05.23.13 at 1:41 pm }

There’s some profuse sweating going on in the “Worst Meal Ever” promo. Same as it ever was. Bring on the double dipping, knife licking and bawling, Ma$terchef.

Just the idea of naming something the “Worst Meal Ever” is disturbing, considering some of the culinary abominations this show has produced in the last five years.

15 Emma { 05.23.13 at 2:15 pm }

Anna, where did you read that? Now I am intrigued.

16 Anna { 05.23.13 at 2:25 pm }
17 Gary is great { 05.23.13 at 2:55 pm }

Gary’s ego is now bigger than his collection of chins. This season will see viewers sub 700k. How much longer can 10 put up with these ratings and arrogance from their ‘talent’.

18 OL { 05.23.13 at 7:03 pm }

Lets face it, this won’t be boys vs girls; this will be boys vs ‘whoever’s-left-after-the-girls-kill-each-other’.

19 Rob { 05.23.13 at 7:04 pm }

Telling contestants what they’ve said about each other in interview for reaction is poor producing technique. It leads to contestants not trusting the person interviewing them being more guarded and withholding than they would be otherwise. “If she’s telling me what Kate said, why wouldn’t she tell Kate what I’m about to say?” Amateur hour is back at MasterChef. Keeps those cheap associate producers busy though.

20 Anna { 05.23.13 at 8:57 pm }

Just saw a promo for MC. Bitch fight at Coles. One is screeching ‘get rid of the prawns! No one is touching my nuts!!! No one is messing with my dish!!!’

Let the bogan games begin…

21 Masterchef Australia Series Five To Start On Sunday June 9 | reality ravings { 05.23.13 at 10:47 pm }

[…] theme this year appears to be boy versus girls and as discussed in a previous blog post Masterchef might be going down My Kitchen Rules path and trying to bring out the […]

22 Is Jennifer Hawkins Set For a US Wedding? | Internet Australia { 05.24.13 at 4:47 am }

[…] Is MasterChef getting nastier this year? – Reality Ravings […]

23 brain dead dave { 05.24.13 at 2:16 pm }

Of course Ma$terchef is going to be copying MKR….already to the point of one of the female amatas bleating “Game on,molls!”( how offended were some people when Jake used this phrase in MKR?) in the current promos Anna has referred to and the graphics trumpeting “blow ups” among the contestants.

Jowl$y and George are in on the joke with the sarcasm and face pulling re “the worst dish ever”. Not bitchy at all,gice.

All about the cooking my ar$e, “Boganchef”

24 misotto { 06.02.13 at 10:39 am }

Agree BDD – the “Game on molls” catfight at Coles finally broke my camel’s back. Even bogans don’t do that (at least not the ones I know). Looks like a great night to stay on Channel 2.