Masterchef Australia Series Five To Start On Sunday June 2

Masterchef Australia will kick off on Sunday June 2 at 7.30pm going and then will continue Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

On week two the Masterclass episode will be on the Thursday night.

There is no top 50 this year and the season will kick off with a top 22 with the Herald Sun reporting the first challenge will be at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Expect to see Curtis Stone, Stephanie Alexander, Shannon Bennett, Maggie Beer and Antonio Carluccio all make appearances.

The theme this year appears to be boy versus girls and as discussed in a previous blog post Masterchef might be going down My Kitchen Rules path and trying to bring out the bitchy.

The Herald Sun also speculates that Masterchef will be going head to head against the popular shows like The Voice and The Block, however I think there it will do just fine.

Masterchef Australia premieres on Sunday 2 June on TEN at 7.30pm.

1 Courtney { 05.23.13 at 11:32 pm }

Sunday June 9? Sunday June 2?

Isn’t it Monday June 3?

2 Reality Raver { 05.23.13 at 11:52 pm }

Thanks Courtney and that is why I should not write late at night.f

3 Courtney { 05.24.13 at 12:05 am }

Haha, that’s OK! Completely understand and know how you feel! I don’t comment much, but I love your site, especially those interviews with the Survivor contestants. :)

4 thebubblehasburst { 05.24.13 at 8:17 am }

For the first time, I might not watch MC this year because it looks like it’s going to be another bitch fest that lost its way to the kitchen.

I liked MC and MKR when the focus was on the cooking. But MKR threw all their credibility down the garbage disposal unit.

So even if these shows returned to being about cooking I would remain sceptical about their authenticity

5 Library girl { 05.24.13 at 9:26 am }

Yes I agree, after that abysmal promo I just don’t want to watch MC this year, and I ‘ ve watched every season. They’ve lost me.

6 Joseph Skyrim { 05.24.13 at 9:47 am }

I’ll probably give it a watch! I miss Gary and George. 😛

7 Culinary Boner { 05.24.13 at 10:09 am }

Like a lemming marching off to its destruction I’ll be watching MCA.

Aside from the very occasional item of culinary inspiration, I’ll be mainly watching for its masterclasses in:

– men’s fashion, the latest trends in cravats and the art of trying to make the portly look like stud muffins

– how to “mentor” young women so you can feel them up at the same time

– chowing down and table etiquette

– cliche delivery and how to make the most inane observation sound important but still uninteresting

– the art of Emotional Unintelligence such as how to scowl at blokes you take an immediate dislike to, but quickly flash beaming smiles while bouncing like a puppy when “mentoring” the BILFs (babes you’d like to fondle)

Bring it on!

Matt, Gary and George, I salute you!!

8 Georgie { 05.24.13 at 10:25 am }

For me it was MKR that went down the MC path this year, by losing the cooking focus. Contestant conflict might be new to MC, but it hasn’t been about the cooking for a few years now and it appears that’s not about to change.

9 Reality Raver { 05.24.13 at 10:33 am }

I don’t really give a toss about the boys versus girls concept but what does piss me off a bit is most of the female monikers have a negative connotation. I note the new above promo has “tough cookie” for a women, and we have “tiger mum”, and “daddy’s little princess”. Whereas the boys have names like “The Stockman” who looks like a very talented cook…. and “house husband” and “the dude”.

10 Culinary Boner { 05.24.13 at 10:44 am }

Raver, I’m not certain being labelled “The Dude” is a long-term positive for a bloke.

If they are going to go with this sort of Gen Y Production House nonsense* I’d be much happier if they had a male contestant they labelled “The Douce”.

* Obviously the brains trust at Shine are ready to ‘wow’ us once again. I forgot to add the masterclass in cooking up a melange of dumb-downed, over-production to my list above.

11 Carole { 05.24.13 at 10:53 am }

I had thought it odd it was starting on a Monday, when it has always started on a Sunday. Good that they have already weeded out the top 50 and are starting at 24. Always found that a bit unnecessary.

12 Morgan { 05.24.13 at 8:46 pm }

Georgie, I actually wouldn’t say MC is new to conflict between contestants, last year Debra got into it with Mindy.

Hmm, with the signs of the show seeming to be milking out drama I’ve become a lot less enthusiastic about this year’s season. I’ll give the first few episodes a watch just see how much drama there actually is and if the contestants are any good, then see if I’ll watch the rest of it.

13 Georgie { 05.24.13 at 9:14 pm }

Morgan, the context for “contestant conflict might be new”, was RR’s reference to “MC going down the same path as MKR” with artificial or scripted nastiness between contestants and the promotion of it. I believe that’s new.

14 brain dead dave { 05.25.13 at 12:11 pm }

I’ve read that there are to be “themed” weeks this year. Expect a boot camp in the Baro$$a Valley, a kids’ week and an Italian week, among other schmaltz.

The promos are being unfurled with yet more MKResque labeling of the amatas, the beat up brouhaha in Coles and contestants bagging each others’ efforts.

So far it’s a colossal fail,$hine…as usual.

I’ll be watching – but like CB feel totally like a lemming marching to an unmerciful fate.

15 Georgie { 05.25.13 at 12:32 pm }

I think this is why I like CA so much, because it doesn’t pretend to be anything more than a bunch of ‘big heads’ who are willing to throw one another under a bus.

16 Anna { 05.25.13 at 9:51 pm }

Just saw a promo … ‘Worst dish ever’ … The voice over said ‘who discraces their gender?’ WT????

17 Carole { 05.26.13 at 8:17 am }

Haven’t seen that promo, only seen the one with the fight at Coles. Without having watched the episode yet it’s hard to tell who is in the right. But if I needed particular ingredients for a dish I was going to prepare and they wanted to leave my ingredients out, I would be pissed off too. Last year Amina was the nicest person and seemed to get on with everyone and was always hugging everyone. But the promo is making out the Muslim woman to be argumentative and difficult. Be interesting to see what really went on once it airs.

18 Anna { 05.26.13 at 11:02 am }

Saw the Coles promo again. The Muslim woman is a bit vocal about her dish, but doesn’t seem to have a problem with other contestants dish not working due to lack of prawns

Could be a teaser or may be a priewiew of what’s to come… Guess will see soon enough

19 Littlepetal { 05.26.13 at 7:36 pm }

Oh no. Some sob back story. Please don’t keep emphasizing these sob story,