The Botox List Babes Are Hitting Back But Is It Time The Word Bully Was Used In The Correct Context?

Just because you are offended does not mean you were bullied.

As expected being named on the most botox Australian’s list has ruffled a few feathers, because let’s face it is not as flattering as Who Magazine’s annual most beautiful list.

Megan Gale who did not make the top ten list but was named as being someone that may have had work done has hit out on twitter responding to the article saying probably quite correctly the plastic surgeon involved in the story was using them to promote himself.  She also denies having botox and saying these allegations are harmful to her brand and fair point.

However she also tweeted she likened this article to bullying. Really?

Charlotte Dawson in response to Megan Gale’s bullying tweet wrote:

I think it is time to reclaim the word bullying and use it in its proper context.

The definition of offended is

1. To cause displeasure, anger, resentment, or wounded feelings in

The definition of bullying is repeated verbal, physical, social or psychological behaviour that is harmful and involves the misuse of power by an individual or group towards one or more persons. Or bullying can be defined as using superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

Not sure how a lightweight article  about botoxed celebrities fits into the bullying category.

If you are insulted it does not mean you were bullied.

This use of the word bully by celebrities or others at times when they are offended or insulted actually diminishes what the term means and the ramifications for people being  being bullied in the workplace, school yard, online or at home.

If Reality Ravings made the 10 most boring blogs in Australia list I would be insulted, pissed off and disagree, but I won’t have been bullied.

Unfortunately being a celebrity does have a down side and one aspect of this is having their looks and appearance dissected as we are peddled images of them on red carpets  and advertisements daily as they promote themselves, endorsements, show and books etc.  In the age of cosmetic interventions this issue inevitably comes up.

Just because your feelings were hurt does not mean you were bullied.

The doctor has now apologised to both of them in today’s News Limited papers. I was amused that the papers don’t apologise about the article being there in the first place….

Both Megan and Charlotte should just be thankful they did not make the creepiest celebrities list which is on News.com.au today and seriously most people forget about these articles once they have read them.

1 Anonymous { 05.28.13 at 3:59 pm }

The Defence Medals were given to my father and he was Veteran in Nam for only a few weeks -Airforce.

2 Culinary Boner { 05.28.13 at 4:13 pm }

For those worried about being mentored by ‘bad uncles’, I offer this sobering thought about ‘bad aunts’:

Whilst here I am showing my sensitive side while I marvel at young love:

3 Reality Raver { 05.28.13 at 4:33 pm }

CB – Very funny.

But change of topic back to the Vietnam War something I only know bits about picked up from telemovies starring Nicole Kidman.*
What does the lyrics of “I Was Only 19” the song by Redgum mean. I had always thought it was about a boy who was conscripted, but you guys point out that you were conscripted at 20. Of course I could always google the answer to this.

*my modern history teacher in year 10 was a bit scatty and we only made it up the Great Depression and did not cover the full curriculum for that year which was 20th century history.

4 brain dead dave { 05.28.13 at 4:45 pm }

The guy who wrote I Was Only 19 walked into a shop here the other day. see him around Adelaide a bit. From memory I don’t think the song mentions the actual conscription lottery itself. Guys could volunteer at 18.

See, I reckon my friend was 19, conscripted and in Nam. I know he was one of the youngest guys there and sadly, he’s no longer here to verify what I say. Awarded Iron Cross Class 2.

5 Anonymous { 05.28.13 at 4:52 pm }

Emma, I presume he was just an ordinary volunteer soldier. Just under a third of our soldiers who served in Vietnam (over 60 000) were Nashos, the common name then for our conscripts. The bit where the Redgum singer mentions drawing the card I think means he had to serve overseas.

6 Rosie { 05.28.13 at 4:58 pm }

The anonymous person above was me. I keep forgetting that my name doesn’t come up automatically on the tablet.

7 Georgie { 05.28.13 at 5:07 pm }

Charlotte’s self-imposed hiatus from Twitter following her meltdown and hospitalisation last year didn’t last long. She didn’t learn anything from it either. Charlotte, I think you should try some yoga and meditation – just saying…

8 Anonymous { 05.28.13 at 5:11 pm }

bdd – Isnt the Iron Cross A German Medal. I have one at home.

9 Anonymous { 05.30.13 at 5:38 pm }

yes, The Iron Cross is a German Medal from the second Word War. I don’t know what that chap is taking about.

10 Jennifer { 05.31.13 at 5:32 pm }

I served in Vietnam, in the Red Cross. Bdd, knows nothing about it at all. How can he say someone he knew received the Iron Cross. That’s just nonsense. The men and women over there were amazing souls.

11 Andrea { 05.31.13 at 5:58 pm }

Anonymous @101, my husband never got to Vietnam so that’s why he didn’t get the medal even though he still was conscripted and did his bit here.
He’s not entitled to anything the Vietnam Vets get through no fault of his own as Labor got voted in and released all the nashos.
That medal was probably the Victoria Cross, a very high honour.

12 Daisy { 05.31.13 at 7:45 pm }

Charlotte @78 A bit ageist, stereotyping the commenters on this blog
I’m personally not offended but it’s a bit of an ignorant stereotype of the ‘mature age’. You’re similar in age to most of the commenters here and older than quite a few.

I know people older than I am who go snorkling every morning, and are very active in general. It’s not a good idea to make derogatory remarks about ‘mature age’ people.

13 Daisy { 05.31.13 at 7:46 pm }

Unless you’re one of them so you’re excused.

14 Jules { 05.31.13 at 8:10 pm }

Well, older people are not in her target demographic so it doesn’t matter if she offends them.

15 Daisy { 05.31.13 at 8:37 pm }

LOL Jules. I thought she did ‘target’ older people in that comment.
She probably thinks we all put our teeth in a jar at night.

16 Jennifer { 05.31.13 at 8:48 pm }

No, There only four Victoria crosses given in the Vietnam War – Badcoe,Payne,Simpson and Wheatley – all from The Australian Army Training Corp – What brave men . No Iron Crosses Class 2. That’s the facts. Keith Payne I know personally.

17 Andrea { 05.31.13 at 9:10 pm }

I think I’ve seen the Keith Payne Victoria Cross.
Is it in the Maryborough Military Museum in Qld?
That is a fascinating place to visit.

18 Jennifer { 05.31.13 at 9:19 pm }

I will try and visit The Museum in Qld before I become too fragile. I am sure I could spend a few hours at least there.

19 Andrea { 05.31.13 at 9:26 pm }

Yes Jennifer, my husband just said Keith Payne donated the Victoria Cross and 23 other medals he had to the Maryborough Military Museum.
Apparently they have 4 Victoria crosses on display there, which is the largest collection in Australia apart from the War Memorial in Canberra of course.
You could spend hours in there Jennifer, my husband certainly does!

20 Daisy { 05.31.13 at 9:55 pm }

Yay, Christina :)

21 Christina { 05.31.13 at 10:11 pm }

Sam @ 89 – I’m sorry you have such a negative view at your age and can say with such confidence that all commentators on this blog do so with intent to cause malice. I heartily disagree, as I would like to voice my views in a nice way, in peace as you say! Have you actually read all comments on all the blogs to back up this argument that everyone here is for dissent? And the only reason I bring this up is honestly not to argue but hope to shine a more positive light! I am not middle aged, but am older than you – and would like to think at your age I was positive, full of life, wanting to see the best in people and wanting to change the world!

Surely it is possible to share opinions on a blog such as this without malice?!

Yeah the horrible trolls or negative comments are sadly there, but that shouldn’t stop everyone else being able to have a view or discussion with like minded people. It makes for more interesting viewing, which networks like as it boosts ratings.

Perhaps some of the problem lies in the fact that when you write/read comments you can’t always fully understand the tone or context or backstory of that unknown individual. And people do often seem to take things more personally than intended. It’s best to ignore the negative….even though you are right, it shouldn’t be there to begin with! But sadly our world isn’t perfect…although my hope is your generation is working on it! And don’t worry the bubs of today will be criticsing you soon enough 😉

As for things being stuck in cyberspace forever, that is unfortunately true. But hopefully people can change, move on and are sorry for previous comments and slurs…and the rest of us can be understanding. But if you continue with negativity then it will be hard to change opinions.

Anyway, how unique is this blog post….from botox to bullying to ageism, conscription, war and blogging etiquette. The wonders of our social world hey.

22 Christina { 05.31.13 at 10:29 pm }

Oh oops, sorry for the double post. I tried to edit…mustn’t have caught it in time. RR please delete #120, sorry to you and everyone!

23 cosmetic surgery gone wrong channel 5 { 06.04.13 at 9:01 am }

Hiya! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice info you might have right here on this post.
I might be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

24 Debra { 02.23.14 at 3:05 am }

You guys are all NASTY.

25 brain dead dave { 02.23.14 at 6:29 am }

I think ALIVE is more accurate,”Debra”

26 daisy { 02.23.14 at 7:17 am }

Morning BDD. You’re up early. It’s only 4.15 here, but I’m not up.
I am alive though. Have a good one. Cheers.

27 Georgie { 02.23.14 at 7:34 am }

Now the cyber finger-pointers launch their campaign. What will the next social media trend be – “I’ve been online finger-pointed”?