The Voice – Four More Eliminated

There were a few surprising eliminations the first one was Caterina Torres in team Ricky with Miss Murphy and Simon Meli grabbing the last two spots. Less so but still mildly surprising was Michael Paynter eliminated from Team Joel. Clearly Michael Stangel’s back story along with his Aussie rock voice has garnered him a lot of fans and Kyomi Vella’s performance last week was one of the best so she deserved to get through.

Team Seal saw Harrison Craig and Mitchell Anderson get through with Jac Stone eliminated and on Team Delta the two girls Celia Pavey and Jackie Sarnias were safe with Tim Morrison eliminated.

Interesting that the four eliminated had had record contracts and/or strong gigging experience but clearly they were not cutting through maybe their back stories were not strong enough…..

Song choice was a bit dodgy tonight and at times I thought I was listening to The Mike Walsh Show. I like Steve Clisby because he is 67 years old and kicking some butt on a reality TV show but New York State Of Mind was more an RSL Club song.

Also what is Delta and the producers trying to do to Celia Pavey last week it was Jolene and this week Edelweiss it would be great if they gave her a contemporary song.

Ricky Martin is trying to make Luke Kennedy more contemporary by giving him a 20 year old George Michael tune. He sang Freedom perfectly but not certain he is going to metamorphise into a pop singer by the time the show finishes. I expect he will pop up in a musical theatre production once The Voice is over. He amd Harrison Craig are going to be fighting for the same gigs.

Alex Gibson was very shaky at the start of Sweet Disposition. The song was too much for him and it was pitchy. He is at real risk of being eliminated next week even though Mitchell Anderson performances are very similar but he does them well, and of course half the country is voting for Harrison Craig. He could sing irish funeral dirges and people would still vote for him.

Miss Murphy killed (in a good way) Killing Me Softly. The voice control was amazing mixed in with some really cool subtle dance moves. She hit it out of the ball park.

Joel Madden is apparently asking for more money to come back for series three and they need to give it to him. He is definitely the coach that gives the panel some energy and life with his antics and repartee. In fact I am surprised a US talent show does not snaffle him up.

Kyomi Vella is a star and not your cookie cutter pop princess,  she will get a record contract out of this. Danny Ross looked more comfortable on stage tonight because he had his guitar. It was his best performance but he is still is very intense. He is apparently dating another voice contestant Hannah Darling. Now that couple would have interesting conversations.

It would be good if they gave him more contemporary songs as they should Simon Meli or are the 60’s coming back again?

What are your thoughts on the show tonight?

1 Mel { 05.28.13 at 12:29 am }

The song choices tonight were universally the absolute worst all season, none memorable. What on earth Seal was thinking with Alex is beyond me. I had to turn the sound down, it was excruciating. Miss Murphy does almost nothing for me, sorry RR. Celia is very interesting but Edelweiss was totally mystifying.

Probably a few factors involved in why those eliminated were unpopular. But I suspect part of it is that they are all polished performers in their own right and therefore have nowhere to go in terms of “growth” or “journey” on the show. (Yuck, I can’t believe I’m actually using those terms!) Perhaps they were too polished, too complete, too slick??

Second, none of them could be considered either underdogs or quiet achievers, almost a fundamental requirement to be successful on these shows, totally irrespective of their talent.

The show, of course, isn’t really about finding the best voice, it’s just about investing the audience in building the most compelling narrative over the course of the series.

2 Anon { 05.28.13 at 7:26 am }

I’m not really surprised about Caterina. She didn’t appear to sell on the charts as strongly as other people in Team Ricky, with the exception of the Beyonce song.

Totally agree with you about the song choices they have given Celia with Jolene and Eidelwess! She should get props for managing to get such a drag of a song into the top 5 overnight. She can do modern songs. Her YouTube covers of Feel Good Inc and Samon are very good.

3 Anon { 05.28.13 at 7:34 am }

That should be Samson. And Eidelweiss. Sorry for my crap spelling.

4 VioletsRBlue { 05.28.13 at 8:55 am }

Yes there were some terrible song choices last night! Alex was the worst to watch, Seal must be definitely smoking something that’s affecting his brain! I felt sorry for Alex, he was totally out of his depth.

I still love Miss Murphy, she just has such a mesmerizing tone to her voice and can sing in tube unlike many other contestants.

I don’t see an issue with Danny being intense, why is this considered bad for a singer? I think it gives him an edge. I find all those lukewarm singers like Harrison boring. His emotions and moves seem very staged. He might have nice voice but what he does with it it’s boring. I think people just love his story, same like Michael G.

5 Fiona { 05.28.13 at 9:18 am }

Song choices were baffling this week. I loved that Luke could sing a pop song, and I love George Michael, but it is very dated. Alex was just painful to watch, I think Seal has got a fixation on giving him a total makeover if he has time and has forgotten about the singing. Poor Celia had to sing a folk tune and make it relevant, she nearly did it. I think Kyomi is the most relevant artist of the lot, she has her own look and whilst she is beautiful she doesn’t seem vain which is refreshing. Harrison is of course the standout, he needs to get more confidence in his own moves etc, but there is no denying he lights up the stage and camera, he is very appealing. I can barely remember the other performances, the coaches need to do better with their song choices next week, or we will end up like American Idol and go to sleep long before the final.

6 Carly { 05.28.13 at 11:03 am }

Absolutely love Kyomi and so glad she went through over Michael Paynter. I’m sorry but my fiance and I have been quite gleeful over some of the singers the judges just totally fawned over – but weren’t totally all that – falling due to the public vote. Catarina had the performance but her voice just wasn’t up to scratch and she was so generic – a tragedy for Emma Pask that she had to go against Catarina after the showdowns as it was so obvious who Ricky was going to pick. I must say the format of this show is totally unfair, it’s not “The Voice”, it’s largely “The Judges Favourite/Favourite Project”. Last night was the first night we watched live in a couple of weeks and we won’t be doing it again, the padding was ridiculous and painful. Much better just to watch the replays online. There was absolutely no need for that to be over two hours and we just ended shouting at the TV in frustration. Regardless, go Kyomi.

7 Mark { 05.28.13 at 1:32 pm }

Have to agree with everyone about the baffling song choices. I mean Edelweiss?!@#

Delta is clearly operating on some sort of demented chaos theory that can wreak havoc on her contestants’ chances. I don’t think she’s doing it intentionally, that would imply some sort of rational thought process.

These past two episodes have ruined The Voice for me, I just don’t care about it anymore, well almost.

Danny Ross was better this week, but let’s face it, he just doesn’t have the vocal chops and it’s starting to show. Cool attitude can only get you so far.

Michael Stangel did sing better, and Australia does love its blokes, but I still think there were more deserving singers that should have been there.

As for Alex, well everybody in Australia except Seal knows it’s time for him to go.

As for Caterina, well sad to see her go but not really surprised she went after the shenanigans last week. She’s far better than Simon Meli, even though I like Simon. However giving Simon Tiny Dancer to sing has probably sealed his fate next week. What was Ricky thinking?

As for Luke, well I just don’t see the point of trying to turn him into a popstar, he’s just not that interesting. He’s better off doing what he knows.

Will be interesting to see what happens next week. Now it’s more like watching a slow moving train wreck and just hoping that your favorites survive.

8 brain dead dave { 05.28.13 at 1:41 pm }

What possible reason is there for keeping Alex? Is it to perhaps make the others look better by comparison?

Ditto Danny Ross. I’ve played Steve Miller’s The Joker a few times over the last week just to try and move on from the appalling vulgarity of his work last week.

9 Mel { 05.28.13 at 2:31 pm }

The Seal/Alex thing continues to baffle, I just wish someone would explain it! It should have been obvious in rehearsal that the song was so unsuitable for Alex’s (limited) voice. Most people would sensibly pull the pin and pick something else, but no, they pressed ahead with a trainwreck. To rub it in, the coaches tell him he should be applauded for his “bravery”? Huh? Is it just a set-up and we haven’t been told?

Luke and Harrison have lovely voices but given their limited ability at moving about you’d have to think crossing over into Pop is a mistake at this point. Have to agree with VioletsRBlue, I find them a little dull to tell the truth.

Michael Stangel might well be a nice guy with a sad story but man, he is a long way from the best this country can offer I’m afraid. I’m sure if someone asked him, he’d prefer people voted for him because they think he’s a great performer as opposed to just feeling sorry for him.

I have really enjoyed Simon Meli’s performances but Tiny Dancer? Simon’s very entertaining, but the song was lame, lame, lame. There are gazillions of strong ballads out there, I wish Ricky had been more adventurous than Elton John for god’s sake.

10 Angelina Jolie Loses Her Aunt to Breast Cancer | Celebrity Most Wanted { 05.28.13 at 3:36 pm }

[…] The eliminations were surprising on The Voice last night — Reality Ravings […]

11 elise { 05.28.13 at 3:50 pm }

Gotta say I hope Celia wins this just because …
She has no sob story (stutter, depression, life threatening illness, cancelled recording contract, etc), no cute teary-eyed siblings, no mysterious persona (a la Miss M), hasn’t been given the opportunity to show much of her personality or vocal ability, she is given unbelievably crap songs … and despite all this … she still makes itunes top 5 overnight – every week.
However, in another twist of logic, maybe this makes her the underdog’s underdog …

12 Mark { 05.28.13 at 4:37 pm }

@elise,

too true.

we have to wonder how good Celia could have been if Delta Skelta had given her some great songs.

13 Laura { 05.29.13 at 2:57 am }

Oh good, I am so glad that I am not the only one who thought Alex’s performance was dismal. I honestly thought I had a hearing impairment once the judges weighed in with praise. I do like Alex’s voice but that song choice was terrible for him.

I love Eidelweiss and it wasn’t such a bad choice on Delta’s part judging by the iTunes charts – it’s in the top 10.

I think you can look at the iTunes charts to tell who will get through and who won’t. Does anyone actually do phone voting anymore? Delta’s team looks like the closest, Jackie is just a few places above Steve. It looks like Simon Meli will leave from Ricky’s team as Luke and Miss Murphy are dominating the chart. Danny will go through from Joel’s team, and again Kiyomi and Michael S are pretty close. As for Seal’s team, I can’t even find Alex on the chart so it seems he will be the one to go. The original version of the song is back in the charts though! People must have wanted to know how it was supposed to be sung. Harrison is on the top, naturally. Of course, only time will tell.

14 Angelina Jolie Loses Her Aunt to Breast Cancer | Internet Australia { 05.29.13 at 6:07 am }

[…] The eliminations were surprising on The Voice last night – Reality Ravings […]

15 daisy { 06.03.13 at 10:55 pm }

Loooove Danny Ross. He should marry Kyomi. How cute, cool and quirky would their babies be?
Also I reckon Kyomi’s Mum might be making her costumes. Does anyone know?
She could make Danny’s clothes too and then she could make clothes for their beautiful talented babies.

16 elise { 06.03.13 at 11:36 pm }

daisy, you’re toooo funny … after another bland episode tonight, you really made me smile …

17 daisy { 06.03.13 at 11:52 pm }

Thanks Elise. Now you made me smile :)

18 elise { 06.04.13 at 4:37 am }

sorry to throw a dampener on Daisy’s wonderful idea, but I read that Danny is dating Hannah Darling (aka Seal’s infamous “save”) !!! I think that was her in the audience the other night, with lilac hair … it just gets weirder …

19 daisy { 06.10.13 at 10:05 pm }

Another weird song choice for Celia. She hit some beautiful notes but I think she should have a go of something up tempo. Maybe there is a Sam Brown song that would work?

20 daisy { 06.10.13 at 10:09 pm }

It’s another ROCKing chair song but Harrison hit the notes alright on Unchained Melody. I have loved that song since the Righteous Brothers did it about 50 years ago.

21 daisy { 06.10.13 at 10:37 pm }

I like Danny but tonight I go for Kyomi because Danny just dropped in from an Andrew Lloyd Webber show. Or was he channelling Zoro. Either way the cozzie was too much. But I love his voice.
BTW I think his back story, “I dumped my girl friend” didn’t touch too many heart strings.

22 daisy { 06.10.13 at 10:44 pm }

OMG I can’t believe Kyomi got out.
I hope she collected a sperm donation from Danny when they had their quick smooch. The next gen. needs the cult status babies.
MM is now going to knock her song out of the park, the town and the universe. Smokey and smokin’ voice.

23 daisy { 06.10.13 at 10:54 pm }

Luke will have a big carreer touring with hot opera singers.

24 Reality Raver { 06.10.13 at 11:29 pm }

LOL at your comment Daisy about Danny’s back story of dumping his fiancee not going to get him any votes. I am not a huge fan.

25 daisy { 06.10.13 at 11:38 pm }

Happy to bring a smile RR.

26 Daisy { 06.11.13 at 8:53 am }

I think Miss Murphy’s best performance of the season was in the blind auditions, maybe because she chose her own song.
I had high expecations of her last night and the voice was good but she didn’t seem to bring the emotions.
Celia did a great job of her own song and she hits some beautiful notes, but I agree with Seal; something up tempo please. I couldn’t watch a whole night of her because it would become whiney after 3 songs.
BDD your Paddle Pop Lion name stuck in our house. Well spotted similarity.

27 Georgie { 06.17.13 at 10:12 pm }

Well surprise, surprise – not!