TEN Network – Are They Bringing Back Australian Idol?

Network TEN is looking to rebuild after a bleak few years rating  wise for them, and the new CEO Hamish Mclennan has said he wants to bring back event television to make sure people are watching the show when it is screened.

It appears people are more likely to time shift drama but not so much sport or reality TV.

In fact he has hinted he might bring back Australian Idol.

On TV Tonight via The Australian he said:

“Live sport doesn’t get time-shifted, and we will have a greater focus on news, and big franchises like Australian Idol. That’s why you’re now seeing a strong commitment from advertisers for upcoming programs on TEN like The Bachelor.”

If Australian Idol came back in it would be entering a very crowded reality TV singing show market with The Voice and The X Factor  and maybe it would struggle to find a solid audience.

However The Bachelor is a great show for TEN as it has never been done here and is huge in the US. Also hopefully this will mean So You Think You Can Dance Australia. These two shows would definitely help TEN differentiate themselves from the other free-to-air channels.

Also if SEVEN are not going to renew The Amazing Race Australia they should try and get it.

Also the Sunday Telegraph was also reporting that former Australian Idol host James Mathison is being considered as host of their new breakfast show. I think that would be a good choice I thought he was quick and intelligent when he was on Idol.

Do you think Australian Idol should come back? Also what show would you like to see on Australian screens?

1 bron { 05.28.13 at 4:26 pm }

james mathison is so underused. i adore him and his bug eyes

2 Andrea { 05.28.13 at 5:46 pm }

I quite liked Australian Idol so I hope it returns, I even liked the three original judges, Marcia, Mark and Dicko!

3 Dr T { 05.29.13 at 12:11 am }

I am looking forward to the singing on Easter Island Idol:

4 Ryan { 05.29.13 at 9:10 am }

Time shift my arse, they’d be doing it for one reason only: To go up against The Voice. Bet you any money you like they’ll snag Guy Sebastian for one of the judges, if it does come back.

5 Trent { 05.29.13 at 9:21 am }

I loved IDOL.. Much better then the cheap gimicks that the voice and X Factor has….

I hate how they try and pit all the judges against eachother in these other shows and have never liked the stupid spinning chairs in the voice…. As if Sony has not decided who they want to win its all a gimmick.

Idol was about the voice and the music.

6 Jules { 06.12.13 at 12:09 pm }

I would love to see Australian Idol come back. It was the best singing show on television. We need something new X factor and The Voice and Australia’s Got Talent old news now. We Need An Exciting Relaunch of the best show on TV Australian Idol.

7 Benjamin Hay { 11.30.13 at 12:49 pm }

I am SOO over these shows. I mean, if Channel 10 originally cancelled Idol because the concept was growing stale and the ratings were dwindling (as they are for the US version of this show), why should the intended viewing audience care about a reboot, huh? They are all to similar for mine – they could sign up Paula Abdul as a judge for this and you will never be able to tell the difference between the Aussie version and the American one.

8 Anonymous { 04.27.14 at 10:55 pm }

Yes bring it back screw the voice and xfactor nothing beats the original Australian idol!!!