Matt Preston Says Masterchef Is Real Reality TV

Masterchef Australia series five had its launch last night in Melbourne and it appears this season is not only going to be about the cooking but also “humour” for the the full wrap up go to TV Tonight.

In the pre show publicity judge Matt Preston has said they would be going back to basics but it may not be cooking he is talking about.

He told the Daily Telegraph the show is moving away from set-ups and TV constructs and scripts.

The article states:

“TV is no lover of honesty. There is a lot of mealy-mouthed stuff,” he said.

“It should always be about transparency, and honesty, having real people and contestants rather than contriving or scripting what role they are going to play.

“We are moving away from the whole scenario of set-ups like: You will cook this dish, and you will be cooking under water, and you won’t be able to use your hands.

“We want to give the contestants every opportunity to cook good food, just like people do at home.”

He also appears to have watched a few episodes of The Voice as he said:
 “I’ve always said what’s on my mind when it comes to dishes. At home you want to know want the judges really think. We want contestants to grow and we give them full and frank advice,” he said.
 Or he might have been having a go at My Kitchen Rules as one of the highlights of this years series was seeing Karen Martini smirk and suppress laughter as the dishes hit the table and then say how fabulous they were.
Masterchef Australia starts on Sunday 2 June at 7.30pm.

1 daisy { 06.01.13 at 1:03 pm }

BDD and Georgie …. very clever on the zombie train of thought.

2 nanaliz { 06.01.13 at 1:16 pm }

Hi Daisy, checked the paper this morning and still alive, he he. Just having a break. Love to hear from you and LP and Gabby. Have asked RR to send my details to TH. Don’t worry if I don’t post, just reading and learning. Miss you all and really touched that you have been worried.

3 daisy { 06.01.13 at 1:17 pm }

Cheers nana.

4 Pikachu! { 06.01.13 at 1:29 pm }

Why has my comment vanished? Is there a virus on this blog? You might want to get that checked out.

Well, anyway, I will reiterate by saying that as soon as you introduce a camera into the mix, “reality” goes right out of the window. Shameless self-promotion and excessive image-mongering is nothing new to Matt Preston though; nobody should listen to anything that hairy baboon says.

5 brain dead dave { 06.01.13 at 1:41 pm }

Don’t worry. Pikachu. Your comment has probably disappeared into RR’s spam folder by mistake ,which happens occasionally. It’s definitely not a virus.

Georgie, good music doco at 2.50 this arvo on SBS 1. Thanks ,daisy.

6 Andrea { 06.01.13 at 3:19 pm }

I missed you both too THater and Nanaliz, glad you are both okay.

7 LB { 06.01.13 at 3:24 pm }

Channel 10 should just combine MC & The Bachelor and call it “The Spatchelor” – soz, we’ve been giggling about it at home *delirious*

8 daisy { 06.01.13 at 3:41 pm }

Oh that’s good LB.
I like the Voice crossed with theBachelor. It’s the Chinese matchmaking showon SBS2 on Friday nights. Except that the contestants really tellit likeit is but in a weird way.

9 Techhater { 06.01.13 at 6:41 pm }

Andrea thanks although I don’t always post I DO always read. I just have to say i’ve never played lawn bowls before but I NAILED it today. And now we’re getting a bowls club up and running here in town. We had 30 people turn up today and it was great. The best thing is I can actually do this. I’m so happy.

10 Andrea { 06.01.13 at 7:29 pm }

Good on you, congratulations Techhater.

11 Stacey { 06.01.13 at 9:22 pm }

CB: Did you see the AJ nudes in NW the week before?

12 LB { 06.01.13 at 9:24 pm }

daisy! Have you just opened up another world of reality junk to me?? Thank you, thank you  Will look forward to it!

Discovered the Janice Dickinson series of Celeb Rehab started last night on ABC 2. As we don’t have pay, never seen a full ep before. That is some car crash TV – not sure how to take it. Although we did fall around laughing when Rachel (Tiger Woods) Uchitel was advised to tell the other addicts that she was addicted to love.

13 Daisy { 06.01.13 at 9:24 pm }

OMG Stacey. He will think he’s in heaven. :)

14 Anna { 06.01.13 at 9:28 pm }

Stacey, we don’t want to shock CB too much, do we? lol

15 Littlepetal { 06.01.13 at 10:12 pm }

Don’t have to worry about CB. He has move on to Karen Martini

16 daisy { 06.01.13 at 11:20 pm }

LB I will try to remember to check it out next week…the JD series. Ta Daisy :)

17 Maz { 06.01.13 at 11:24 pm }

LB@62 Saw that episode as well. OMG. Talk about car crash television. Could not look away.
Is Celeb Rehab produced by the same people who produce TMZ? Half the episode seem to be TMZ clips.

18 Anna { 06.01.13 at 11:43 pm }

Couldn’t sleep & chamnel surfed … Loser was encouring. Saw a promo for MC, Jowlsy was asking contestants who the best cooks are … Males or Females. Couldn’t believe that in 21st century he is still spewing crap like that… Did we go back in time to 1800’s???

19 LB { 06.01.13 at 11:48 pm }

Maz, looks like Jeff Davis is going to be the one to watch – he was hilariously bitchy, but didn’t think he had the right mindset to be entering rehab. Probably not, given his subsequent google results.

Could not believe Leif Garrett. Yikes.
And the junior pastor from 7th Heaven – clearly needed a Rev Camden intervention :-/

20 LB { 06.01.13 at 11:50 pm }

Daisy, the first ep may well be on iView, given it’s on ABC. It’s worth it for JD’s entrance. Holy!

21 Maz { 06.01.13 at 11:58 pm }

Thanks LB for placing Jeremy London.

22 Gabby { 06.02.13 at 8:34 am }

Techhater @ 59 glad you are ok. Loved your post about the bowls especially your last three words, ”I am so happy”, that made me happy reading it. I could feel the happiness in you. I have a friend who took up the bowls about your age and loves it, best thing she ever did. Loves the friendship, the social life, everything connected with it. Good on you.

23 Littlepetal { 06.02.13 at 9:10 am }

They didn’t fool us. Now George and Gary have confessed that this year’s contestants don’t cut the mustard. Instead, Calombaris and Mehigan believe it is the home cooks’ personal sagas that will compel viewers.

No wonder the 3 judges were out spruiking and try to say they are not MKR and it is all about the cooking. Look like it will be MKR revisited and worse as they also have the sob back story like the Voice.