The Voice Australia – The Final Eight Sing

Delta, Delta, Delta why did you pick Steve Clisby over the talented and unique Jacquie Sarnias? Sure Steve Clisby is a good singer and a cool dude but he has had enough air time to make a nice living out of the club circuit. He is not Australia’s next superstar.  Delta did not even need to mentor him she spent her time chatting to his mother on Skype.

Jacquie is a very interesting performer but her team mate Celia who is also super talented was getting the push in her team.

At this stage the final four is going to be Luke, Harrison, Celia and hopefully Kyomi on Team Joel but Danny appears to be getting the popular vote.

Why they don’t just a tie for first place between Harrison and Luke make them form a duo called the  Beige Brothers and market it as a Voice world first. Sure they hit all the right notes and are good looking lads but they are a tad dull. I blame the mummy vote (yes my demographic) for all the votes they are getting, and chances are one of them will win.

Tonight Simon Meli, Jacquie, Michael Stangel and Alex Gibson were eliminated and it was down to the final eight.

Again there was a mix of performances. Danny Ross was drowned out by his backing singers, Steve Clisby gave his usual professional performance as did Mitchell Anderson but there was no “growth”. Celia Davy was given a Carol King number that was over thirty years old though she did make it sound good. It will be interesting to see if she ever performs without her guitar.

Miss Murphy gave a slick but not memorable performance and Kyomi showed again with the right management and a bit of luck she could be an international recording star.

Harrison was given the first singing spot after the elimination results and Celia the last. Funny how some of the other singers cannot ever get these plum performance positions.

One of the highlights of the night was seeing Karise Eden sing, sure it was not note perfect but her voice is unique.

Who did you like on The Voice tonight? Were the right people eliminated?

1 Joseph Skyrim { 06.04.13 at 9:11 am }

Steve Clisby for the win, though I like Celia too. Luke didn’t cut it for me tonight – Ricky’s taking him too far out of his zone I think. The rest range from ho hum to downright wtf, why do people vote for you.

Karise has a unique voice, sure. Unique doesn’t necessarily mean in a good way. I decided to switch over to watch a bit of Chernobyl rather than listen that.

2 tammy_s { 06.04.13 at 9:39 am }

Love Steve Clisby. Always very cool.but understated. I dont think he’ll win or become the next superstar but I love his performances so far.

3 Ryan { 06.04.13 at 10:04 am }

Probably a matter of personal taste, but I much prefer Steve over Jacqui who is too nervous and kinda dime a dozen, really. Besides, the dude’s mother is over 100. If that’s not a ‘story’ I don’t know what is. My favourite last year was Darren Percival, so perhaps I’m just old (only 33!) and prefer singers who are a bit more mature.

4 Anon { 06.04.13 at 10:41 am }

Ryan, I agree with you – I prefer Steve over Jacqui. I never really felt that passionate about her one way or another. And for the record, I’m only 29!

I think the right people went home.

My favourite is still Celia. I don’t mind if she doesn’t win, I just want her through to the final so we can see one of her original songs and hopefully Feel Good Inc. Her YouTube videos are excellent – I think they’ve been underselling her.

5 Ryan { 06.04.13 at 10:43 am }

Anon- I’m not a Celia fan, but I can see the appeal. Danny’s growing on me too, he’s a bit hit-or-miss, though. Neil Young was the perfect choice for him, though.

6 Georgie { 06.04.13 at 10:59 am }

Didn’t watch this week but soooo glad Simon Meli and Alex (Chas Bono) Gibson have finally been shunted.

7 Loz { 06.04.13 at 11:30 am }

I’m not a big Steve fan, would rather listen to Jacqui to be honest. Celia is good and Kyomi is growing on me. I do agree with you that Luke & Harrison are rather dull.

8 auds { 06.04.13 at 12:01 pm }

I am a big Steve Clisby fan but agree with others he is a bit past being Australias new superstar.

After watching kiyomi sing Young Blood last week I am a huge fan. I have been watching it again on the net – it gives me chills.

I didn’t really like the song she sang last night.

I would love to see either Kiyomi or Mitchell win

9 Carly { 06.04.13 at 12:34 pm }

100% agree with your comments re Clisby over Sannia. I was sure she was going to save Jacque… Clisby is great but he’s had his time. Jacqui still had so much more room to grow. Arrrgh! But I love Kiyomi and she remains my favourite. I don’t think she’s going to win, but I hope she keeps recording because I downloaded her EP on iTunes and I’ve been listening to it on constant replay for the last week! It’s awesome :)

10 Mel { 06.04.13 at 1:43 pm }

The thing that stood out most for me last night was Seal, who I thought had some nerve picking out Celia’s song choices because he has done precisely the same thing with Harrison over and over again. Totally safe, old-fashioned and unadventurous. I haven’t been overly excited by Celia’s song choices but Seal is a hypocrite.

I was pretty disappointed to see Simon go, I thought he was consistently impressive and at least had some dance-worthy material to work with. Rock done well doesn’t get enough credit on these shows. Getting rid of Alex was, well, merciful to say the least. And Michael Stangel as well, sorry to say. Dwelling on his sad back-story at the expense of his performance was becoming uncomfortable. Jackie was very good but could do with a little maturity.

I’m with RR on Luke and Harrison. Both clearly very good singers but by god they’re SO freaking dull. They’re both so brain-stonkingly conservative and safe they just don’t offer much that’s exciting, I feel.

11 Cat { 06.04.13 at 2:19 pm }

I did a musical with Luke several years ago, and can vouch for him being dull (in every way). He was also super-patronising towards those he felt were beneath him (ie. the ensemble cast members). I had to stop watching when he got through to the finals…

12 Leigh { 06.04.13 at 2:43 pm }

I really like Celia, but Kiyomi has been growing on me and I wouldn’t mind if she won! Danny was pitchy and he kinda ruined the song for me. I agree with Mel that Seal is a hypocrite. Seal this season has just been too intense and egotistical for me.

13 anonymouse { 06.04.13 at 2:50 pm }

Luke and Harrison ARE dull I have no idea what people are seeing in them. One of them will win. They are BLAND. And I’m sick of Celia, she’s a one trick pony and that’s gotten stale.

I like Kiyomi, I like Miss Murphy and I like Steve Clisby … I wish Delta had kept Jackie … she was very talented but suffered from Delta’s bad song choices. I prefer her to Celia though.

14 elise { 06.04.13 at 3:55 pm }

It’s interesting to see what’s happening with the itunes voting. Celia shot straight to the lead – last night she was # 5 and Harrison # 7. Today she’s 4 and HC 5. Miss M at 8 and Luke at 9.
If you read The Voice’s facebook page, there was a stack of negative comments about Celia’s song choice and her voice – some of which have been echoed in the comments here – but despite some boring song choices which really don’t do her justice, it seems she has a LOT of supporters.
I don’t agree with anonymouse that she’s a “one trick pony” – she appeals to a particular audience (like any other artist), and could have been given much more interesting and contemporary material. If she has this level of support singing these kinds of songs, I do wonder what she can achieve in the future.
If you look at The Voice’s youtube channel, she also has some of the highest numbers of views for her performances (just slightly trailing HC). And her own youtube channel now has over 1 million views.
So, it will be interesting to see what happens with the voting – it’s neck and neck on itunes between Miss M and Luke, so it will likely come down to the number of sms votes.
Song choice is obviously going to be critical – and all the singers seem to be suffering on this score.
A while back I thought it would be a Harrison/Luke grand final, but now I’m not so sure …

15 Eliza { 06.04.13 at 11:51 pm }

The Voice has become really boring for me again this year. I much prefer x factor as I seem to find it more entertaining. It doesn’t have the ‘diversity’ so maybe that’s just me enjoying all the lighting effects and burst of fire. I found last year and this year again that there isn’t a contestant that I am really rooting for so I tend to find the show overall less engaging. Plus, all the (IMO) good looking male contestants have gone so… that also makes me less invested!

I agree with all the comments re Luke and Harrison – they really are bland and I can’t really see where they will go with a career post The Voice. Both can definitely sing but Harrison (at this stage anyway) doesn’t have the charisma to become another Michael Buble. Whenever Luke sings I feel as though I am watching Carols in the Domain. I have been thinking all along – who is downloading these songs on itunes and it has to be the mum market!

I really don’t get Celia. Last year I really didn’t get Karise – I dislike their voices and can barely get through a song. I would love the hear Celia sing a Taylor Swift song for some reason but I am really over they yodeling style of singing.

Miss Murphy, Steve and Mitchell are all fine singers and deserve careers but aren’t The Voice. Danny is too up and down and doesn’t have the range in his voice as he really struggled last night, yet the week before he was really good. I never thought at the beginning of the comp I would say this, but I think that Kiyomi should be the most successful out of all this as she seems to be most relevant to the market right now. She can sing really well and can also perform. She really irritated me at first with those annoying arm movements but she has definitely started growing on me too.

Rant over.