Masterchef Australia – First Person Eliminated

There is a different from being twee and nice and sometimes Masterchef can just nudge into the former. Sure it is great to be a feel good show but don’t make it too corny.

Tonight was an example of this when the six contestants up for elimination discovered in the pantry their fridges from home. This of course gave the judges to opportunity to walk around as the contestants looking in them and talk to them about their family.

No tears were elicited at this stage as they had barely been away from home.

The down side of this was it was about 10 minutes in before the cooking started.

The good thing about this elimination challenge was the contestants were able to cook any dish they liked in a 60 minute time frame, but they had to use ingredients found in their fridge.

Dan who in the previous challenge who had been stuck cooking goat ribs, now revealed he lived in a student share household so no high end ingredients for him. There were lots of apples and bacon, sun dried tomatoes and an open packet of tim tams.

He ended up making a Salted Caramel Tart with Tim Tam ice cream. Which was described by Matt Preston as “the caramel was toffee and the ganache was grainy” they did not say what the tim tam ice cream was like.

Kelty stuck to Irish cuisine again, and made Irish Stew which is OK but never the tastiest meal. Noelene questioned Kelty’s competentencies and she was right to. He set a pressure cooker alight and attempted to make Irish Soda Bread without any bicarb soda. Also with the amount the blue tape on his thumb it looked like he nearly sliced it off.

The judges queried that it had taken him 15 minutes to prep and then it cooked in the pressure cooker. George said “It is fine but not amazing”. Basically Kelty had to hope for someone else to stuff up to remain. Chances of this happening at this stage of the competition were high.

Neha made a curry which Jules thought was a gutsy after a curry  landed  her in the bottom six. But to be fair it was eel that put her there, and tonight it is a pantry challenge so she had all her Indian ingredients in it? What was she expected to make Korean?

Neha made egg curry that her mum used to make and Matt Preston thought it was delicious.

Michael again showed his ego was bigger then his knowledge of cooking. He made steak with hollandaise sauce. He kept on cooking the steak on a pan without oil.

He finally heard the peanut gallery screaming out to him and put the oil and salt on it. Then later said to camera he was always going to add the oil and salt. Really?

He was lucky his hollandaise sauce did not curdle as he left it on the steam as he ran out to the herb garden. Gary loved his meal, which was interesting as one of the other contestants were very critical of they way his vegetables looked as well.

The judges also asked Michael what his family would like about the dish and he said “The fact that I cooked it”. Of couse Michael it is all about you.

Nicky who is becoming likeable made a Savoury Egg Custard with Salmon and Shitake Mushrooms. He stuck to his skill set and Gary said it was the best Savoury Egg Custard he had had on the show. He then added he had not liked the others. Adam Liaw would not have been too happy to hear that.

Samira’s story was interesting. She revealed she had suffered post natal depression and anxiety and could not leave the house and cooking helped her get through this.

After her cracker first dish Samira is not showing great cooking skills either but hopefully she stays longer as she is fun. However after making her husband’s favourite dish, George said he only liked the almonds in it. It must have been pretty ordinary and she burnt the onion.

The dish of the days was Michael’s which will put even more swagger in his swagger. Poor Dan who really did not get a chance to shine was eliminated. Kelty should have gone home as he is his aim to promote good Irish food is not doing more harm then good with a much maligned cuisine becoming more maligned.

1 Littlepetal { 06.07.13 at 11:51 am }

How difficult is it to make a pumpkin soup? If they think so highly of their previous contestants, each week they should have one of the previous contestant doing a segment.

2 Littlepetal { 06.07.13 at 11:54 am }

Great rating for Masterclass last night. 489,000!!! Hahaha

3 brain dead dave { 06.07.13 at 12:03 pm }

I couldn’t even look at the screen while George was handling the liver. It was like CSI.

4 Maz { 06.07.13 at 12:21 pm }

Littlepetal you beat me to it http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/masterchef-severely-burnt-in-the-ratings-20130607-2nu4w.html

BDD-I thought you were joking about the eggs…

Perhaps it they actually casted people who could cook it might be a different story.

5 Anna { 06.07.13 at 12:23 pm }
6 Sandii { 06.07.13 at 12:29 pm }

Surprisingly enjoyed the first masterclass

7 brain dead dave { 06.07.13 at 12:36 pm }

Double elimination in the Barossa breeze, gice. Lots of promos for the sobbing Stockman losing it.

Yes, those ratings are dismal for the relative quality of the episode.

Perhaps the venison has already bolted.

8 Stacey { 06.07.13 at 1:24 pm }

Not sure if its been said yet but does anyone from Victoria recognise Noelene from the Thrifties commercials? God shes annoying! You can make practically anything taste good if you crumb and deep fry it. She needn’t have been so smug.

9 Anna { 06.07.13 at 1:27 pm }

Didn’t take long for George to eat with the spoon and throw it back into the bowl, then he served with that same spoon….

10 Jules { 06.07.13 at 1:44 pm }

Lol. The contestants should be honored to eat the spit of such a venerated chef…yum, yum!

11 Anna { 06.07.13 at 1:47 pm }

Jules, that’s why I’ll not eat at any of his restaurants when I’ll be in Melbourne late this year…. bleah

If he does it then may be the rest of his chefs do it… double bleah

12 Daisy { 06.07.13 at 2:27 pm }

Jules, like bird’s nest soup; made from bird spit. It’s a delicacy.

Stcey, Noelene is the worst IMO. She makes me shudder.

13 Reality Raver { 06.07.13 at 2:36 pm }

I had to abort half way through the Masterclass as sick kid, and hav not back to it. I though Matt Preston’s bits the best. Did not get up to the pumpkin soup but was curious to see it.

Tip to the editors at the point where George was showing Nicky and the viewers at home how to whisk properly that it would have been good to see it rather than shots of the MC contestants watching.

14 Anna { 06.07.13 at 2:38 pm }

RR, hope the kid is feeling better

15 brain dead dave { 06.07.13 at 2:51 pm }

Jowl$y used Granny Smith apples,onion and garlic in his soup and roasted them and the pumpkin with the skins on to save labour , 30 mins. Blended them and then threw some shards of bacon on top.

His committment to hygiene eclipses Gary and George, too. Not much of an achievement, however.

16 Anna { 06.07.13 at 2:53 pm }

BDD, it’s known as lazy clowns pumpkin soup.

Wonder if the crew are asking audience and contestants to clap, cheer and jump up and down on demand…

17 brain dead dave { 06.07.13 at 3:07 pm }

He could have drizzled some Coca Cola into it and added some mashed couch potato. That’d get his jowl juices flowing.

I loved the rent a crowd of milfs and bilfs and the Dorothy Dixers so unexpectedly put to the Stooges. It was like an infommercial.

18 Daisy { 06.07.13 at 3:13 pm }

Emma hope no throwing up is involved….I am talking about your sick child not MC.

BTW did you get a chance to check out If you are the One; the Chinese matchmaking show on SBS 8.30 Friday nights. They keep the same girls until they get matched. I love the weird questions and comments they make in the interview process. Very blunt and funny.
It doesn’t inspire the same commenting though that shows like MC would do but it’s a fun watch IMO.

I hope your child gets better soon.

19 Carole { 06.07.13 at 3:27 pm }

I saw some of it last night, couldn’t watch them cooking the liver. Have absolutely no interest in ever knowing how to cook it or in eating it. Can’t remember the last time I boiled an egg, been years. I usually fry them or scramble them.

20 Reality Raver { 06.07.13 at 3:35 pm }

Thanks Daisy for the reminder have locked in to record it as I have Ninja Warrior.

21 Littlepetal { 06.07.13 at 3:37 pm }

I must remember to watch too, Daisy. I always forget.

22 Joseph Skyrim { 06.07.13 at 3:54 pm }

RR 120 – You watch Ninja Warrior!? 😀

The liver cooking was ok, I think I’d have the same reaction as Kelty though when eating it. Other than the egg and the bacon I don’t think I would have eaten any of the food they prepped actually. Seafood = no, Liver = no, Pumpkin = no, Cherry = no. Hmm maybe I should have signed up for this season given I only know how to cook 2 things too! ;p

23 brain dead dave { 06.07.13 at 6:46 pm }

Two and a half hours of Ma$terchef encores tonight at 8.30 on Ch 10.

24 Techhater { 06.08.13 at 3:24 pm }

Ok I don’t want to be pedantic however, Garry’s “creme de cassis” which he insists is liqueur of cherry is actually liqueur of blackcurrant. As any Agatha Christie fanatic like myself would know this is Hercule Poirot’s favourite drink.

25 Daisy { 06.08.13 at 3:35 pm }

Don’t be embarrased Emma :). My crew were over and fell in love with Ninja Warrior. So surprised that they hadn’t seen it before.

26 Carole { 06.08.13 at 7:49 pm }

I know Techhater, I thought the same thing when I watched it. I know my liqueurs, creme de cassis is blackcurrant. Cherry brandy or kirsch is cherry flavoured. That cherry pudding looked yummy, I might make it. But I hate ginger & peel, so will leave them out.

27 Techhater { 06.08.13 at 9:03 pm }

I know it’s not the right thread. But there is no thread for this. Someone mentioned last week about Celebrity Rehab on ABC2 I was so happy. This was the next series for me to watch. I’m a big fan of Jeremy London. and if you do your homework YES he really was kidnapped and forced to do drugs at gunpoint. Perpetrator was arrested 3 months after this show was filmed and pleaded guilty to all charges. Shame on his family for not believing him. They must look pretty silly now.

28 Izobel2 { 06.08.13 at 10:07 pm }

Thanks T H. I taped this too although I don’t remember setting the recorder for it, and I’m watching it now. Have never seen this series before.
Interesting.

29 daisy { 06.09.13 at 12:18 am }

I missed it because of the visitors. What’s the skinny? Shall I record it next week.
Vava voom on Brooke and Bill. OMG? And Taylor ….aaaaah!

30 Carole { 06.09.13 at 5:43 pm }

If I have to see that promo one more time of Lynton crying over his dish in tonight’s show I will explode!!!!!!

31 brain dead dave { 06.09.13 at 5:52 pm }

Looks like Lynton is water feature himself. This is the confected drama that Jowl$y promised Ma$terchef doesn’t lower itself to.

Bring on the Barossa buffoonery.

32 Littlepetal { 06.09.13 at 5:58 pm }

Maybe Lyn ton is going to talk about his paraplegic sister.

33 brain dead dave { 06.09.13 at 6:09 pm }

He says that he’s too embarrassed to give his dish to the judges, so I think he stuffs it up. It may be that his crumble crumbles. Always good to have the back story and play that. So much for the stereotype of the tough stockman.

I think Liliana does quite well in this challenge and no surprise that Michael has problems with his dish.

34 Littlepetal { 06.09.13 at 6:10 pm }

CH 10 is trying very hard to save this season MC. Tonight they have a live Q and A twitter event at 6.30pm with Gary and Matt

35 Izobel2 { 06.09.13 at 6:59 pm }

Daisy, I’ll be watching Celeb Rehab again. Janice Dickinson was given a really hard time. I thought the concept was interesting, there’s a lot of confrontation and yelling though. Quite a negative show.
TH how ANNOYING was the billionaire’s son, or whoever he was.

I’m still enjoying Masterchef. I know a lot of people are comparing it to previous years saying this lot aren’t great cooks, but I’m trying to think back to previoius seasons, and didn’t the contestants just get better each week and the crap ones just get voted off?
Oh I don’t know, I think I’m just easily pleased and it’s a show that my husband and I watch together, and it sure beats sport :)

36 Dr T { 06.09.13 at 7:35 pm }

Geez Louise… we all missed it… The first alimination! Will have to add that to the drinking list

37 Techhater { 06.09.13 at 7:44 pm }

Just got home from work in time for the start of MC.
Izobel2 I am really liking CR and I know the rich brat is annoying but I have to laugh at his comments to Janice. He says what everyone else is thinking.

38 Littlepetal { 06.09.13 at 8:27 pm }

Look like we got con with the crying Lynton. It is not on tonight. Sorry Carole, you may have to see the promo for another day.

39 Dr T { 06.09.13 at 8:32 pm }

I reckon “A History of Ancient Britain” on SBS is going to outrate MC tonight…

40 Dr T { 06.09.13 at 8:35 pm }

“I wanted to do a tradition beef masaman curry tonight, but there was no beef so I had to use lamb… also, there was no rice so I had to compromise and use dirt”

41 Georgie { 06.09.13 at 8:40 pm }

Three men just told Noelene they didn’t like her food but she wasn’t having any of it. Now we know what happened to the three husbands. I think it’s Noelene with the ‘use-by date’.

42 Techhater { 06.09.13 at 9:01 pm }

Don’t forget Lilianna’s dad ate lamb ragout every day.

43 Dr T { 06.09.13 at 9:06 pm }

Maybe her dad being in that dish was a reference to her smuggling some of his ashes into the competition? (too literal?)

44 Techhater { 06.09.13 at 9:09 pm }

I do have to say well done Noelene and Clarissa for owning up to the travesty they served as “meals.” however, I would have thought Jules might have had the b*lls to own up to such a bad dish. I really like her but was not impressed with thinking her dish was “good.”

45 daisy { 06.09.13 at 9:13 pm }

Thanks for reminding me Izobel. Is it tonight? I will record it.

46 Techhater { 06.09.13 at 9:22 pm }

Daisy if you mean Celeb Rehab it’s on Friday’s at 9.30pm

47 Techhater { 06.09.13 at 9:29 pm }

Dr T you know you are going to generate controversy with that last post. Lol.

Daisy forgot to say it’s on ABC2.

48 daisy { 06.09.13 at 9:40 pm }

Thanks TH I sort of saw a bit but the vizzies were all here.
I’ll do better next week because Izobel and I seem to like all the same shows.

49 Izobel2 { 06.09.13 at 9:46 pm }

We sure do Daisy!
Dr T great comment at 140 and Georgie at 141!!!

It was good of Kelty to help Clarissa!

50 Carole { 06.10.13 at 11:59 am }

Yeah I know Littlepetal, looks like that promo was for the whole week.