The Block – the Bedroom and Ensuite Room Reveal

There were tensions on The Block Sky High With Matt and Kim not happy about being told they were cheating about the bed head.

They fired back with a complaint about power tools being used on Public Holidays. Matt and Kim decided there was no more Mr and Mrs nice guys.

Trixie and Johnno thought Matt was the biggest noise offender and Trixie walked off pouty at the end of day BBQ and pool party. It looks like this week on The Block the bitchiness reaches Sky High proportions.

It was judgement time on the guest bedrooms and ensuites:

Lysandra and Alisa – They liked how they set the bed into the wall to build wardrobes and they liked the feel of the bedroom. Neale also thought it was a well executed bathroom. Darren pointed out there was no towel rail.

Kim and Matt – the judges liked that it was part office/part office. They liked the timber around the doors and skirting boards. They also liked the balance of colour. The hexagon design in the bathroom also got the thumbs up.

Bec and George went for a home office then a guest room. The bed head looked wonky. Whoever buys that apartment will be throwing it out. The book wallpaper made room look narrower. Neale thought it was a sexy bathroom.

Madi and Jarrod went with colour in their bedroom. Neal thought the impact of the room meant it was one of the best rooms on The Block. Shaynna thought the bathrooom was incredible.  What happened to their bed head it did not look like the one they had done in week one?

Trixie and Jarrod had put a linen closet, and Neal said he did not like the bed head. What is ridiculous is they had no choice but to use it. Shaynna was not as thrilled about the spa bath and the claustrophobic feel of the bathroom.

Interesting the two teams involved in the bedhead cheating scandal both scored the highest. With Madi and Jarrod winning the week with a near perfect score of 29 1/2 and Kim and Matt just missed winning with 29 points. The NSW team won an extra $10,000.

This week it is kitchen, pantry and bath but it looks like it is going to be about the renos but the tensions between the teams.

1 Rocky { 06.10.13 at 10:38 am }

After all the envy of Matt and Kim winning the nursery, I kind of expected a backlash. I absolutely understood Matt and Kim’s frustration.

Why did Keith and the staff wait until the day before the reveals to inform them that there was a problem with their headboard? They were told after they had already bought everything to match their “rejigged” headboard not the old one. It is not “cheating” if you are not clear on the rules , so what is “rejigged” supposed to mean? All of them had problems with the rules except the twins who just reupholstered and even that could be called “changing” the design.

Madi showed a new scheming side when she wanted to hold off telling Matt and Kim until reveal and then to complain. Kind of figured there was a reason she took to Trixie so easily.

After the trouble they caused we better see Madi & Jarrod’s old tombstone somewhere in the condo, or else.

Overall, I agreed with the judges for a change. Shaynna looked afraid to say anything negative about Trixie and Johnno rooms though. She was cringing when the guys said a negative about the room. Don’t back down Shaynna just because Trixie is having fits. The buyers won’t care about her pouting, they want quality for over a million plus bucks.

2 JM { 06.10.13 at 12:21 pm }

I thought Madi & Jarrod’s room was vile. I didn’t so much mind the yellow walls but paired with brown carpet and trimmings it reminded me of the inside of a 1970’s caravan that we used to rent when I was a kid. I’m just gobsmacked that the Judges liked it. I did however love Madi & Jarrod’s bathroom – the white tiles were beautiful.

There hasn’t been a single room in this series which has knocked me out or made me swoon.

I’m also starting to side with the twins and the annoying Matt & Kim. This is for the reason that the upper floors (Bec & George’s reaction last night to not winning was very sour) and Johnno & Trixie seem to expect that since they are the upper floors they should therefore win the rooms for that reason.

3 LB { 06.10.13 at 12:23 pm }

The divide on The Block is clear & wide – floors 1&2 bitching & moaning about floors 3, 4 & 5 constantly. It’s becoming wearing.

Nice to see Madi & Jarrod get a win, really liked the room & the ensuite.

But once again, it seems to be about styling rather than renovation. Couldn’t understand the judging comment that Matt & Kims bedhead linked to their bathroom – first thing I would do is dispose of that bedhead. Ugh. Be interesting to see if they redo their “crime scene” bedroom before auction.

4 Reality Raver { 06.10.13 at 1:02 pm }

LB they have said in a mag interview they are going to change crime scene room

5 Ari { 06.10.13 at 1:11 pm }

I tend to side with floors 1&2. Cannot stand floors 3-5. Jarrod is hot and I love him, but I cannot stand Madi. Ever since her Primary School dobber debacle last week I’ve lost my liking for her. I do believe Madi & Jarrod deserved that win, although I very much enjoyed Matt & Kim’s room and bathroom so much more, yet maybe it’s because I’m a teenage guy and the colours and practicality of it appeal to me so much more.

Trixie & Johnno seem a bit too expecting to win and end up always feeling disappointed. I’ll be honest I have not enjoyed their rooms very much.

George is kinda cute. And I wish they’d cut up with the sympathy because CH9 seems to be milking it way too much. Although I don’t really like their team because they’ve been a bit bitchy and overly critical.

Either way I only really like Alisa, Lysandra, Matt, Kim and Jarrod (who seems to be doing most of the work whilst Madi just shops around). I still can’t get over Madi for ganging up on Matt & Kim like a child when she could have spoken to them like an adult. Madi reminded me of those really annoying dobbers in Primary School then. Ugh.

Either way I remember CH9 had another interior design show where Darren Palmer was a contestant and I very much enjoyed the renovations of that show. This is my first viewing of The Block and there is too much drama.

6 Veronicali { 06.10.13 at 1:32 pm }

Yeah I wasn’t keen on Madrod’s bedroom but liked their ensuite. I liked the Twins bedroom best, they choose effective bedside lighting, but disappointed with yet another dark ensuite.

Madrod and Maim could put their bedheads on the balcony covered with hanging plants.

7 brain dead dave { 06.10.13 at 1:56 pm }

The show ran overtime and into Ma$terchef. Fail. So much time is wasted in the last fifteen minutes with Scotty and his mindlessly drawn out blackboard wank.

8 Rocky { 06.10.13 at 2:32 pm }

Like Reality Raver stated, after all their whinging. Madi and Jarrod did not even use their headboard and Scotty nor the Judges said a word. That headboard is not the tombstone headboard they made in the challenge by any stretch of the rules. I wonder when the Block is opened to them if the other teams will notice and say something.

9 Christina { 06.10.13 at 2:32 pm }

Liked the winning room – both colour and the layout with little wall to hide the desk. The cupboards were ordinary though.

Also liked level 1s idea of inserted bed with cupboards either side.

I do feel for Trixie and Johnno and others who get upset at not winning – put yourselves in their shoes… can understand after a long week putting your heart and soul into a reno and then coming so close at judging must be quite frustrating.

Problem for T&J now is that it seems they are trying to second guess the judges (like changing paint colours to what they think they’ll like) rather than sticking to their own design…which I quite liked at the start.

10 LB { 06.10.13 at 4:27 pm }

Rocky, they didn’t have to use it as a headboard, just somewhere in the renovation. I’m thinking the storage locker in the garage – they were all pretty hideous.

11 LB { 06.10.13 at 4:29 pm }

RR, thanks for that. Had a look at TB site and they said the same thing. Fair enough, really. They tried something, it didn’t work and so change it. In any event, their style has moved on markedly since that first room.

12 Christina { 06.10.13 at 8:51 pm }

Not that it matters to anyone, but i said above that M&J’s cupboards were ordinary…but it tonight’s recap I saw they actually had nice shiny ones, it was Matt and Kim’s room with the plain built ins. Anyhoo…. 😉 And yes it will certainly be interesting to see where the tombstone ends up!!

13 Rocky { 06.11.13 at 12:11 am }

LB I get that these headboards can be used anywhere in the reno but since Madi specifically was the stickler for the rules, why didn’t they use the headboards as they were suggested in this particular room? I bet you they would not have won first place had they used that ghastly headboard of theirs like the others except Matt and Kim. (ironically the 1st and 2nd place winners) Those ugly headboards were the ruin in these rooms.

14 AJ { 06.11.13 at 9:03 am }

I quite liked Matt and Kim at the start, but after their alliance with the twins, their behaviour seems to have gotten worse and worse. I really don’t understand how they could legitimately interpret a “rule” which said “you must use this bedhead in the apartment” to mean that they could tear apart their bedhead and simply use three backing/support lengths of timber which are completely hidden from view in their new bedhead.

I quite liked Madi and Jarrod’s room, even though none of the individual elements appealed to me. Somehow it all looked “right” the way that they had brought it all together.

I’m not sure where Trixie and Johnno are going wrong. Are they playing it too safe with their colours? I quite liked the original colour scheme that they used with their bedhead (oranges and reds from memory), but instead of using that, they went with grey again (which really seems to be the new white/beige for 2013). I also didn’t understand why the spa bath was in the bathroom attached to their smallest bedroom! That seems like a major waste and should have been in the master bedroom. The linen cupboard was a good idea, but perhaps space should have been sacrificed from one of the larger rooms as it did make the bedroom quite small.

I can’t remember which bathroom had them, maybe the twins, but the “origami” tiles looked awesome. I also liked the bedroom from the twins the most. The “twin” cupboards on their side which created the “bed head” feature space looked great and make the room look a lot larger. All the teams, with the exception of George and Bec (for understandable reasons) and Trixie and Johnno (for no discernable reason), seem to really be improving.

15 Maz { 06.11.13 at 9:36 pm }

Oh dear. What a debacle. You either have to use the bedhead or not. Not the BS of been inspired by or recreate it.

If they wanted the rules to be adhered to they should specified what week the bedhead needed to be used.

As for tonight’s performance-Pot meet Kettle.

16 Sarah { 06.12.13 at 1:56 am }

What is with all the carpeting on this series?? I’m not from Australia, so maybe carpet is all the rage there, but from what I know, for housing in this supposed price point (million + up) carpeting is really a no-no these days — everywhere is wood, stone, or ceramic floor, bedrooms included. Concerned about heat? Then use radiant flooring. This is where I find it kind of ridiculous to be trying to get $million dollar housing units out of teams that don’t seem to have the knowledge for designing to that market.

17 Lebay { 06.12.13 at 7:42 am }

I just cant get into this season of The Block. Ive been a die hard Block fan up till now, and had even conned Mr Lebay into a drive to Melbourne for this year’s open for inspections. Right now, Im not sure I would drive to the next suburb let alone south of the border. All I want is someone to hate on, and some one to cheer for, and Im just not getting it…. The twins irk me.. I think their job makes them a little more paranoid than most, but I really cant summon up the ire I had for Josh and Jenna or the downright HAAAAAAATE I had for Jake and Erin… There is no one to connect to like Mark and Duncan…. Yawn. Bring on next season

18 Maz { 06.13.13 at 10:45 pm }

The producers must be rubbing their hands in glee with the personality conflicts between the contestants as this week it hasn’t been about the reno at all. If I was Bec, I would have told the twins to go and jump…free market and all that.

Question is are you at an unfair advantage if your builder has done the Block before? Amity & Phil did well with Brad and the twins are doing likewise with Sharif.

19 drb123 { 06.14.13 at 9:53 am }

I thought Trixie and Johnno’s bedhead looked familiar: http://brooklyntowest.blogspot.com.au/p/a-b-o-u-t-r-i-e-l-e.html

Nothing new under the sun….

20 Rocky { 06.14.13 at 10:43 am }

Maz as to your question, with unfair advantage meaning something other contestants do not have fair access to, I don’t see how hiring previously hired tradies is an “unfair” advantage.

Additionally, I am pretty sure these very same tradies like Sharif were recommended and approved by the show anyway, not someone the girls brought along , as they would have had Sharif on their first challenge and not suffered the loss due to their tradies walking off their unfinished job.

Then consider that these tradespeople are only as good as the contestants designs, organization skills, and financial management, under hugely different site restrictions.

Sharif disagreed with the Twins on at least one ocassion (and I am sure many others) but had to go with the Twin’s decisions which ended up with the Twins winning that week.

21 Pea beau { 06.20.13 at 11:21 pm }