The Voice – Harrison Craig Is The Chosen One

Celia Pavey, Luke Kennedy, Harrison Craig and Danny Ross are this year’s finalists for season two of The Voice. However do any of them but Harrison Craig have any hope of winning? These shows are never a level playing field but he has been promoted far more than most of the other contestants this year.

Last night he was yet again singing last otherwise known as the pimp spot.  In his cosy chat with Seal he stuttered multiple times something the viewer has seen little of since the first audition. This could be edited out as it is not live television.  Seal also talked about how his father deserting him as a young boy which had made him into the man he was today.

As Daisy a regular commenter  wrote Danny Ross’s breaking up with his fiancee story is not going to resonate with the viewer/voter in quite the same way.

But also it was a night where all four were singing original songs apparently promoted as being written by themselves. The viewer would have thought Harrison was very talented to have written his song More Than A Dream. This was not the case it was co-written by Penelope Philips and Lindsay Rimes.

Now no one expects contestants on reality shows to be able to write songs so why present it that they have? Who knows how much Harrison actually contributed? The same goes for Luke Kennedy song Love Is Gone. It was obviously the opera singer would not have written much of his pop song as it is not his genre. His co-writing credits include Thomas Coombes, Michael Millard, Brenton Fitzgerald, Robert Nobilia and Roberto Roschel. He looks like he has had even less input than Harrison.

Also he should not win due to the chessy broken glass analogy he did when talking to Ricky. Yes we get it your marriage broke up and you suffered depression. Would love to get the ex-wife’s version of events.

Whereas Celia Pavey and Danny Ross had truly written their songs. Danny said this was the real him hinting that singing those old cover songs and wearing the wacky weekly outfits was just his way to get a record contract.  To be honest his song was not real flash, however Celia’s was amazing. Also she must have been pleased that she was finally singing a contemporary number. Earlier in the night she had had to sing Xanadu another song over 30 years old.

Hopefully Danny and Celia will be getting a cut of the money from the sales of their record. Contestants do not receive anything for the cover songs that have been sold on iTunes.

Harrison Craig does have talent. His rendition of Unchained Melody last night even had a contemporary feel about it, however it would be interesting to know if the other contestants think there is favouritism towards him.

Even though Kyomi Vella was eliminated her version of Kate Bush’s Running Up That Hill was fantastic, as was Miss Murphy’s Love Don’t Live Here Anymore.

Though one of the highlights of the show was the four coaches singing Ricky Martin’s Livin La Vida Loca. Delta needs to show off her legs more often as they are fantastic as was her skill at dancing and walking in those killer high heels.

By the way if you don’t want to know who wins stay off the iTunes charts. If a single is sold it is two votes to that contestant and is an accurate indicator of who is getting the most votes.

The Voice Australia Grand Final next Monday night at 7.30pm on NINE.

1 LaLa { 06.11.13 at 11:43 am }

I’ve been to two of the live shows where Harrison performed and didn’t hear him stutter once.

2 Veronicali { 06.11.13 at 12:21 pm }

I don’t think they played up Harrison’s stuttering in the rehearsal piece. He obviously has techniques he’s learned and uses them well, would people be happier if he didn’t?

Interesting to hear Harrison and Luke didn’t actually write their songs themselves, perhaps best though as some of last year’s efforts were woeful.

I loved Danny’s own song, but not Celia’s. I think there’s trouble in Hugoland. I’ve gone off Celia, but my dog and cat stop wrestling when she sings and stare transfixed at the telly.

Luke’s Italian song was gorgeous, he’ll get a load of downloads from the Italian-Aussie community.

It’s a pity Kiyomi didn’t make it, I do like Danny but Joel would’ve had a better chance with her.

3 Reality Raver { 06.11.13 at 12:50 pm }

Veronicali – I don’t think they should not use it but the cynic in me thinks there is a bit of manipulation with it by the producers.

As is the transformation of Luke into a pop singer. Someone tweeted me and said the credits on his song were his band members he plays with.

4 Mel { 06.11.13 at 1:01 pm }

The Harrison Show has lost me now I’m afraid. What Channel 9 don’t realise is that by over-promoting Harrison to the point they have and ensuring he is given the regular pimp spot takes ALL the tension and guesswork out of who is going to win. Check iTunes and it’s a no-brainer, even Luke is not going to topple him. Although it’s now clear they’ll be the two finalists. Isn’t it more entertaining to maintain a level of uncertainty about who is going to win? Isn’t that what keeps people watching? They probably thought that Harrison is a risk-free winner, devoid of any potentially unappealing/unsavoury facts ready to rear their head but personally I’m totally bored with it now.

Poor Celia was totally let down last night. Xanadu? For real?? Sadly she didn’t even sing it well. And the spangly dress in the second song was quite obviously not her thing. Man, has she had a crappy list of song choices. And really, whose lame idea was it to situate Celia with Delta in a room filled with candles because her song is called, ahem, Candle in the Night. Similarly, letting the set designers use images of windmills behind a song called ‘Windmill’ was clearly another stretch of the imagination. Try harder next time guys.

The other person who should be trying harder was Luke who, in an appalling and cringeworthy moment, produced a broken wine glass in a shoe box as proof of his song inspiration. Ricky had to pretend it was really cool but I’m sure even he thought it was incredibly lame.

I finally enjoyed a performance by Miss Murphy last night. I would have preferred her over Luke.

Thanks RR who explaining the song-writing scandal, what a scam, I had absolutely no idea and thought (with some disbelief admittedly) that they really had written their own songs. Hate that sort of dishonesty.

5 brain dead dave { 06.11.13 at 1:05 pm }

The show is called The Voice …not The $ongwriter.

Just a couple of singers who didn’t write their own stuff- Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra.

6 Anonymous { 06.11.13 at 1:17 pm }

Fair call brain dead dave, but they shouldn’t be applauded with ridiculous overblown speeches for writing their own songs when they didn’t. And they shouldn’t be presented as “original” songs.

I hope Celia is able to find some good mentors to surround herself with and break free of the box this show shoved her in. The song choices she has been lumped with have been ridiculous. I loved her original song, although prefer the stripped back version on her YouTube channel.

7 brain dead dave { 06.11.13 at 1:25 pm }

No applause whatsoever. The contestants are all very average singers and even worse songwriters , I suspect. The praise from the judges for allegedly writing songs themselves is harmful and dishonest.

$hine are merely trying to convince the audience that these contestants are unique snowflakes, bursting with talent. They’re not.

8 Reality Raver { 06.11.13 at 1:29 pm }

I think there is some talent there. Harrison definitely has a great voice I find him a bit bland as I do Luke Kennedy. Celia and Kyomi I thought were fab as I did Jackie Sarnias. Goes to show you only need one decent person on your team to win as Seal had a weak team and chances are he has the winner.

9 Mark { 06.11.13 at 1:35 pm }

Delta Skelta again baffled everyone with her inane song choice. Xanadu?!@#$ Xanadu for F$%(‘s sake??

Celia battled gamely as she always does, but the song clearly didn’t suit her as was evident by the many off notes. However she redeemed herself brilliantly with her own song later in the show. Just makes you wonder how much more the public would have been on her side if Delta had given her better songs throughout the season. She is clearly the most original and talented artist (now that Kyomi’s gone), and if there’s any karmic justice Celia should win, but that could be unlikely.

Which brings me to Steve. How come Delta always give’s him stuff out of the soul singer’s handbook? I’m wondering if he just tells Delta what he’s going to sing. Anyway he does a good job, but unfortunately he sings it like an old man. Hey no offense, I’ve always liked Steve, but sometimes you just need the stones of a young fella to really do it justice.

Sadly the only singers who’ve had big enough balls to do it this season are Caterina and perhaps Miss Murphy.

Now to Team Yoda, I mean Seal. Mitchell was good but clearly his time is done. Harrison was good too, but he ain’t no righteous brother. He’s just not old enough to sing that song with any intensity. See earlier comment about big enough stones. Still he’s clearly the favourite and will probably win even though he’s worn the same suit and basically done the same performance for the past two months.

So if Seal is Yoda, that must make Joel the Ewok: Cute and cuddly and there mainly for the kids.

I thought Kyomi was great, but Danny, looking like a refugee from a Middle Earth Comicon convention got thru. Clearly he is the chosen one. I haven’t liked any of his songs as I just don’t think he can sing that well, and hey, this is The Voice right?

And finally Team Ricky. What the hell happened here? Ricky had all the best singers and is somehow going into the finals with Mr Milquetoast. There’s no fire there Ricky.

Who will win is anyone’s guess, but if it’s Danny I expect the backlash to be severe.

Ratings are already down 25%, and we all know why.

10 Reality Raver { 06.11.13 at 2:02 pm }

The other four contestants who were eliminated must have had four original songs as well to go.

11 wombat { 06.11.13 at 2:58 pm }

@Mark – I had to look up “Milquetoast” – what a great description! Personally I would have preferred Kyomi to Danny as her voice is much better. I wish $hine would repeat their MKR concept and introduce a fifth finalist, “the komback voice” of duet featuring Steve Clisby and Mitchell Anderson.

12 Mark { 06.11.13 at 3:09 pm }

@wombat,

re Milquetoast – think Niles Crane in Frasier, which is where I first heard it.

Actually just think of Niles and you’ll never think of Luke in the same way again.

Yes I would have preferred Kyomi too.

Also, love your idea of the komback voice.

13 Veronicali { 06.11.13 at 3:38 pm }

Aww Niles is sweet.

Harrison reminds me of Tom Waterhouse.

RR my post in the House Rules thread keeps getting eaten. Anyone else having this problem?

14 Sweetie { 06.11.13 at 4:27 pm }

I think you are wrong about Harrison, the show said he wrote the song and there is no other record online showing that he didn’t!

15 elise { 06.11.13 at 4:50 pm }

Interesting about the itunes chart – I also thought it was a clear indication of the winner, considering one download is two votes.
But last week, Miss M was consistently slightly ahead of Luke in the charts – he must have had a lot of sms votes. Of all those sent home, Miss M seemed the most choked up, so maybe she was also looking too closely at itunes.
Agree with Mel – it’s all a big yawn when the winner is obvious from Day One. Not quite sure why the producers think there is any value in this approach.
Wonder what would have happened if Celia chose Joel as her coach??? I actually think it could have been interesting (certainly couldn’t be worse).

It’s true that programs like this can give singers exposure – but I have to wonder whether it ended up being negative exposure for Celia – her song choices inspired so many nasty, hateful comments on facebook.
I’ve lived in countries which may be considered “uncivilized” – but when I read these kind of insults … it gives new meaning to the term.

I really hope Celia gets a recording contract out of this (Joel did offer) – if she goes in a more contemporary direction, I think she could be more successful than the lot.

My thoughts for next year – send Seal home, bring back Keith (the most genuine, down to earth, humble, and artistically talented coach ever).

16 Anonymous { 06.11.13 at 5:06 pm }

Elise, I’d love it if they’d bring back Keith! Actually, I think he would’ve been a wonderful mentor for Celia… Sigh.

17 Daisy { 06.11.13 at 5:29 pm }

Mark Yes. Ha ha. Xanadu failed at the box office and is weird but not in a good way so why not dust it off and give it to Celia to sing.
ROCKing chair songs.
What is Delta thinking? Eidelweiss and now Xanadu. Maybe Celia’s You tube fans are putting her through because I can’t see she’s succeeding based on those whiney songs.

Elise, who could blame Celia for the song choices. These guys are expected to bend to their mentor’s guidance or they are called difficult.
Celia has a pretty voice and did a good job of stupid song choices that were made for her. I liked her ‘own’ song. And I don’t care if she wrote it or not. SHe sang it well.

18 elise { 06.11.13 at 6:02 pm }

Agreed, Daisy. I think Celia did an amazing job, considering what she had to sing (and wear – that gold sequined number – what was that ???).

I don’t think all the negative comments about her song choices were directed at her personally (Delta’s been getting plenty of criticism) – but those song choices sure seem to have made a lot of viewers unfairly dislike her, which is why I wonder whether the “exposure” she has been given from this show is a good thing.

It’s interesting that on its website, The Voice asked for viewers to submit their song choices for the contestants – yet totally ignored the suggestions.

19 Daisy { 06.11.13 at 6:22 pm }

I thought MM would have gone further if she had better songs. I mean: Killing Me Softly, for instance?
Still I suppose it’s getting close now and a matter of taste.

I was and am a fan of the seventies hippie women such as Joni Mitchell, Maria Muldaur and Buffy St Marie so I like Celia’s style but those women included some up tempo in their repertoire. If they must make them sing old songs, Celia could have been given something groovy and a bit more uptempo such “Big Yellow Taxi” perhaps, or “Circle Game”. And there are some great tracks on Maria Mulaur’s Waitress in a Donut shop that would suit Celia’s voice. But that’s just IMO.

20 Lorna Murray { 06.11.13 at 6:33 pm }

Personally I do not care if Harrison wrote the song or not. I do not care if he sings first, last or in the middle. I do not care if he stutters or not. I care that when he sings he touches a emotional cord in me, and that his voice is sweet and melodic. Yes I have brought everyone of his songs and will continue to do so, for those reasons only. I am not a fool that is being led by the media – please give us some credit.

21 Alison { 06.11.13 at 6:46 pm }

It would be great if they did it like the US version of The Voice, where they have 12 contestants in the live finals (3 from each team), and every week the two with the lowest number of votes go home, which means that the best singers overall get through to the final. It also pretty clearly highlights the weakest and the strongest teams overall, and ups the game for the coaches, as they are competing against each other every week, rather than just in the final.

My personal preference out of the last 4 is Celia, because the videos on her youtube channel are just beautiful. But I’m still bitter because Diana Rouvas didn’t win last year, so not holding out much hope for this year!

22 Reality Raver { 06.11.13 at 6:52 pm }

Alison – agree. You could get the second highest amount of votes and go home.

23 Anonymous { 06.11.13 at 7:19 pm }

It’s not true to say they didn’t write their own songs. They co-wrote their songs. Obviously they wrote the lyrics and others wrote the music. So what? Elton John usually has someone else writing his lyrics. Big deal.

Ignore the hype and listen to the voices. On that basis Harrison still wins.

24 joan { 06.11.13 at 8:55 pm }

Danny Ross = Altiyan 2.0 I noticed some of his cult are Danny Ross fans.

25 Nikki { 06.11.13 at 9:08 pm }

I have known Harrison for years and he is 100% genuine. His stutter, like typical speech impediments, lessens when he becomes more comfortable in circumstances and with people. I think that if he wins then he deserves it. I would just like to point out that none of the coaches knew that he had a stutter when they turned around for him in the blind auditions. I feel that if you feel this way about shows like this then maybe you shouldn’t watch them. Part of being a singer is using your past experiences to enhance their performances. Also, the point of the original songs was for them to be original. Although they may have had help writing the songs they were still original songs which they had poured emotion and their stories into.

26 Anonymous { 06.11.13 at 9:47 pm }

I disagree Nikki, I don’t think a song is original if they had a bunch of other people writing it with them – it’s misleading to present it as a song they wrote on their own. The show should be open about it.

I do think that the criticism about his stutter is inappropriate, though. Rachel Leahcar copped something similar last year about her blindness, too.

27 Reality Raver { 06.11.13 at 10:03 pm }

I am not saying Harrison does not have stutter or that it has not had an effect on his life. What I am saying that it has been a big aspect of his story and talked about constantly when in fact on a lot of the episodes it seems like it is not as severe as first presented due to speech therapy.

28 Reality Raver { 06.11.13 at 10:04 pm }

I do think he has been pushed as a favourite over some of the other contestants. Maybe the contestants would think differently.

29 Mel { 06.11.13 at 10:17 pm }

With all due respect Nikki, I think it’s a little naive to think that during the blind auditions the coaches weren’t given some preliminary guidance. There were a number of times the coaches asked pointed and probing questions that elicited the relevant back-story which was not evident with certain other singers. As I understand it, the contestants went through several auditions before they arrived at the blind auditions we saw and the producers would certainly have had some firm ideas about who would make good “stories” or “narratives” for the show. That was the point of preliminary auditions.

Saying that, it matters little whether the coaches knew about Harrison’s stutter beforehand, because it’s what the producers have chosen to emphasise in the editing process that counts more.

I agree with Elise about Celia, what a shoddy box she has been put into. Her participation in the show has surely been a double-edged sword. She’s relatively young and I’m sure she’ll look back at some point and be disappointed with being given such crap material to work with.

Next year? Get rid of Seal, he is a nonsensical liability. And introduce the voting system for the finals as per the US version of The Voice. Maybe when they reassess the season and realise what happened with Ricky’s team they may well think about it.

30 Eliza { 06.12.13 at 12:38 am }

I have been thinking that the whole way through – why can’t they all just compete against each other once the live finals begin, rather than against their team. I didn’t realise they did that in the US and it would be MUCH better and would mean that the better singers would have a better chance of staying in.

Interesting about the writing of the songs. I don’t mind if they didn’t all write them themselves as this isn’t a song writing contest, as long as they are honest about it. The broken glass in the nicely placed kikki.K box was a shocker, so were Celia’s candles.

I can’t see a career for any of the final 4 beside Celia if she can get some better songs/good team behind her. She has been so popular possibly only of the back of these original songs she has on YouTube? I don’t like her voice so haven’t bothered to have a look. Hugo looked ahhh awkward on camera.. Not sure what was going on with the sleazy mo.

I was annoyed that Kyomi was punted as I thought she had the best chance of an international career and had done well to grow on me!

Totes agree – get rid of Seal and his soliloquies and bring back Keith!!!

31 elise { 06.12.13 at 1:08 am }

Not sure if Keith could be persuaded to return. The rumor mill claims he was paid 5 mill to do American Idol (compared to 2 mill for The Voice) and I wouldn’t be surprised if they offer him much more to stay next year. Viewers seem to be loving him, so many positive comments, peeps saying they only watch Idol because of Keith, etc. And it’s really boosted his profile musically – his concert and cd sales have boomed because of the exposure to such a big audience. I’m really happy for him – he really deserves his success – but I’d love to have him back. Couldn’t stand another season of Sealology.

32 Eliza { 06.12.13 at 1:25 am }

Ahh, one can only dream, elise! You can complain about stars always thinking about the money, but when it affects your career success, you can definitely understand why American Idol is a no brainer for him.

Who else could replace Seal???

33 Jane Lynch and Lara Embry Are Getting a Divorce | Internet Australia { 06.12.13 at 5:56 am }

[…] Has Harrison Craig been unfairly over-promoted on The Voice? – Reality Ravings […]

34 Wendy Kennedy { 06.16.13 at 8:31 am }

I think to make the assumption that you “would like to hear the wife’s version” about Luke Kennedy’s marriage breakup is an insult to Luke Kennedy who if you had listened did say when interviewed that he was travelling for 11 months whilst his wife and child were here in Australia and that it had ruined his relationship. You can’t be part of the Ten Tenors without travellng. I admire his ability to step up again after suffering badly. Also who’s to say his wife did not have an affair. LIsten to the song lyrics he supposedly wrote. Whether or not these contestants wrote all of their songs or part of them is irrelevant. Luke Kennedy is by far the stand out performer this year.

35 Wendy Kennedy { 06.16.13 at 8:37 am }

@ Eliza – agree re Seal. He’s on an ego trip to nowhere and can’t sing to save himself. I would like PINK to replace Seal. That would balance out the panel really nicely. But I disagree regarding these four not having a career. Luke Kennedy has the contacts overseas, the experience on stage and with Ricky Martin supporting him with other contacts could soar globally.

36 zen { 06.16.13 at 11:26 am }

Why so angry and uptight?