Celebrity Apprentice – Why Did Jeff Fenech Not Get Fired?

Celebrity Apprentice Australia saw the boys versus the girls again, except for Layla who was drafted to Team Fabulous. This left Prue, Roxy, and Steph to duke it out most of the episode and taking offence at almost everything the other did.

The challenge was to make a viral campaign for Heinz’s new range of soups. Dawn Fraser and Jeff Fenech were both made project managers by their opposing teams as they quite rightly were thought to be the weakest links.

They were both useless and could not really contribute anything but their celebrity to the video. Neither came up with ideas nor did they try and control their teams.

By about half way through the Marketing Manager must have been wondering why his company had decided to leave the launch of a new product to these people.

The boys did their campaign based on Fifty Shades Of Grey, and it was thought to be too raunchy for the family friendly brand. The girls video was based on Dawn Fraser playing the Mark Bouris role in a board room apprentice scene then after eating the soup turning into a hip hop dancer.

Props to the marketing manager for keeping his eye rolling to a minimum. The girls ended up winning though they were told off for their continual fighting by Mark Bouris in the board room.

In the end Dermott fell on his sword and since it was a double elimination, Mark Bouris told Layla how fabulous she was  before he fired her. It was a tad unfair considering she had contributed a lot to the project, albeit a losing one, but at least she had done something. All Jeff did was dress up  like a chicken.

The next challenge must be to do with raising money as that can be the only reason they kept Jeff in.

Also in this week’s TV WEEK talks about how he is anti-bullying.

Celebrity Apprentice on Tuesday nights at 8.30pm on NINE.

1 Christina { 06.12.13 at 12:18 pm }

It was absolutely ridiculous the girls team won. No way their video would go viral. That idea has been done to death – very lame indeed. Plus their meeting with the client was just embarrassing…and presentation was also poor.

The boys + Layla team’s video was on target – wasn’t the brief 30 year old woman?! It was certainly not too raunchy either – I see much worse on current tv ads and video clips!! A child would not get the 50 Shade reference and thus would just think it’s a funny chicken and dancing soup! Their clip was much better produced, had more branding, was funnier and more likely to go viral. They were robbed.

When it came down to the last two I knew Layla was going to be voted out even though she probably didn’t deserve it – as they had to keep Jeff for his notoriety (possibly a fund raising task ahead?!) and to keep the male to female ratio more in balance.

The UK Apprentice is so much better – Lord Sugar doesn’t take any crap and makes a much better act of choosing based on performance!!

2 Christina { 06.12.13 at 12:20 pm }

Oh, and Roxy needs to take a good hard look at herself – what she accuses everyone of doing is what she does herself. Girls…just get on with the task pllluuueeease!!!

Oh, unless you think perhaps seeing both Prue and Roxy are in PR they have figured they should just play-fight for the cameras in the hope to be kept longer (than the more boring contestants)?!

Are they that smart?!?!

3 Daisy { 06.12.13 at 12:25 pm }

Yes Christina, the girls didn’t meet the brief either if the idea was for it to go viral. No way!
I really liked Layla in this but Mr Bouris was dead wrong about her being gutsy with JF. Every gorgeous or even pretty young girl knows that she can have any straight man is putty in her hands without him even realizing. No matter how tough he is. They discover that in their teens.
I was surpirised Mr B sacked Layla because he was so taken with her but JF brings the money.

4 Daisy { 06.12.13 at 12:31 pm }

I agree Roxy can’t see she does all tbat and worse (at least from what CA is showing). She is the most horrible. After that I don’t like Dawn because she has had some dreadful moments with the whole Stephanie should respect me thing.
I am liking Prue more than I thought I would. She’s up for a laugh. Roxy is too uptight.

5 PollyB { 06.12.13 at 12:50 pm }

Christina I agree with all you’ve said.
I saw a tweet from Roxy last night, attempting to justify her self/behaviour . She can’t be that blind, surely.
I don’t like Dawn Fraser. So she was an amazing sports woman, she deserves respect for that but she has lived off that for over 40 years now. Same goes for Jeff Fenech, who cares if you were a champion years ago. Who cares if you are a champion head puncher at all. He expects everything for nothing. Just like when he tried to steal the watch/jewellery. Grow up.

Hmm, I do feel better now 😉

6 Georgie { 06.12.13 at 12:54 pm }

Christina #1 – yes the brief was ‘working women in their 30’s’. I can’t remember any mention of ‘family friendly’. Jeff’s team were absolutely robbed.

I think Roxy, Prune and Steph are all as bad as one another. Roxy needs to take a long hard look at Prune because the only difference is about 20 years.

7 Daisy { 06.12.13 at 1:17 pm }

Georgie, the Heinz gave a duel brief, aimed at 30 yr old women AND family friendly. But it also had to be fun or interesting ehough to go vial. So there were 3 major points of which the guys team might have missed on the ff, but hit the mark on the other points.
The other teams video sucked.

8 Littlepetal { 06.12.13 at 2:21 pm }

I liked the boys video. Dawn Fraser didn’t do any thing to stop Roxy and Prue bickering. Off camera she said she would. But didn’t see that happened.

I think John has stepped up and I won’t be surprise if he wins.

9 Littlepetal { 06.12.13 at 2:27 pm }

Sorry, don’t know where to post this.

For the Days of our Life fans: You can watch the show free online streaming.

10 Andrea { 06.12.13 at 2:53 pm }

I didn’t want Layla to go, she seems really nice and did far more on the challenge than Jeff did.
I don’t mind Prue but Roxy is overbearing as she doesn’t listen to anyone either.
Dawn was a champion in her day but you don’t see Shane Gould playing on being an Olympian and she was the greatest swimmer imo after winning 5 medals at one Olympics, 3 of which were gold.
Littlepetal@9, thank you for the info, I’ve had a look, its not strictly free and I think many older people wouldn’t have the technology to do this.
Utube is great, I’m catching up with the episodes slowly.

11 Daisy { 06.12.13 at 4:07 pm }

I think Layla was just beginning to stand out and take her place. But unfortunately she doesn’t know enough rich people. I can’t think why else My B would have booted her because she carried her weight and always seemed very practical and capable.

Overbearing is a good description of Roxy, and blind to her own faults. Not a pleasant lady at all.

12 Andrea { 06.12.13 at 4:24 pm }

Layla was on tv this morning saying she liked Roxy the most and is now good friends with her! And Layla was plugging her new sponsers , Quicktrim and Shapewear. Good on her.

Prue was featured in New Idea this week with her husband and stepchildren who all love her to bits so I think she’s a big softie at heart , and probably a very nice person.

Peter I liked a lot and think he is an extra sensitive person who takes things to heart (just like me ), not everyone can be strong like Roxy and Prue. He never got the chance to shine really.
I don’t care who wins now that Peter and Layla have gone.

13 Daisy { 06.12.13 at 4:38 pm }

Yes Andrea but Layla tends to like everyone pretty much so her liking Roxy is no surprise.
Also she got along witth the BB bullies ans was more friends with them than anyone else.
I think Layla might be good at adapting and accomodating characteristics in others. She is pretty easy going.

14 Carole { 06.12.13 at 6:33 pm }

I totally agree Christina, the guys should have won. Their video was much better and filled the whole criteria. What rubbish it wasn’t family friendly, the Heinz people need their head read. And I am sick of, whenever anyone decides to do a musical number, they always do fucking rap!!!! I hate rap music, why can’t they do a proper song? They would lose on that alone if I was judging. There are plenty of songs that convey young and hip that are not rap.

And I didn’t think Layla deserved to be fired either, this was the first time she actually contributed anything to a challenge, and had some great ideas.

I couldn’t believe what Dawn said about Steph in the boardroom, they seemed to be getting along during the challenge. Don’t know where that came from. Can’t stand Prue or Roxy, they are both as bad as each other and total bitches. For Gods’s sake, for the next challenges, split them up.

I agree RR, I couldn’t believe how they behaved in front of the marketing guy, how unprofessional of them. Considering 2 of them are Professional PR women. They behaved like 2 year olds.

15 KhunDel { 06.12.13 at 9:23 pm }

I cannot believe how much I am liking John S. When he was running I thought he was rather arrogant. Perhaps it was just big, big confidence. This TV show is showing him as fun, sensitive and smart.

I think John will win.

16 Izobel2 { 06.12.13 at 11:28 pm }

I agree KhunDel!y husband asked me before this ep who I wanted to win and I said John S. He seems like a good guy.
I was hoping Layla would stay and that the boys team would win. I’m in the Heinz target age bracket and thought the boys ad was better. The girls was a bit boring.
At least the boys and Layla had fun… after all its for charity!

17 Daisy { 06.13.13 at 11:08 pm }

The girls’ video was lame, lame, lame. I doubt if either would go viral but the boys team vid would get a lot more hits.

And if Heins couldn’t laugh at that in this day and age it makes them look like dated old farts. Any kids seeing that would have seen worse watching Home and Away or Big Bang Theory.

18 Daisy { 06.13.13 at 11:08 pm }

And if Heinz couldn’t laugh at that in this day and age it makes them look like dated old farts. Any kids seeing that would have seen worse watching Home and Away or Big Bang Theory.

19 Georgie { 06.13.13 at 11:28 pm }

The marketing guy from Heinz was pathetic and his performance did the brand harm IMO. I was shopping today and bought soup for work lunches – when I saw Heinz Soup of the Day I thought of that woose and picked up the Zuppa instead.

20 Christina { 06.18.13 at 9:13 pm }

Who is watching Apprentice tonight? It’s a nice feel good challenge, but I just feel deflated watching as there is NO WAY all of this was organised with last minute planing – garden teams, Mambo artists etc. They all drop everything to come down same day…really? I don’t think so! Am not saying the producers organised it all, but why go through the pretence of it all being “same day” and why not show us more of the planning? Also not sure about seeing the old contestants….a bit of a distraction (although it is always lovely seeing the gorgeous Patty Newton!)

21 Littlepetal { 06.18.13 at 9:22 pm }

I am watching CA. Agree with you, Christina. Nowadays reality shows are not reality. Not possible to ring these suppliers and get them to organise and deliver the goods all in the same day.

22 Andrea { 06.18.13 at 9:38 pm }

I’m watching it too, this is the best challenge because its not about who makes the most money but both teams working together in a practical way to help others.
I don’t mind that it would have been set up earlier, it would have been impossible otherwise.

23 Christina { 06.18.13 at 9:42 pm }

Roxy did an amazing job, someone needed to take charge! But I really love the other team’s Mambo wall lounge best! This will be interesting…

24 LB { 06.18.13 at 9:51 pm }

At first thought it was a strange challenge – a Reno challenge following straight on from The Block, but seeing the result for Youth Off The Streets was brilliant. Actually got a bit emotional seeing how touched Fr Chris Riley was & what an immediate difference it will make in people’s lives.

Not fussed that it must have been set up previously (although agree that it is no way that could all be pulled together in a day) just so pleased to see disenfranchised kids being assisted in a practical way.

Great work, Celebrity Apprentice

25 Littlepetal { 06.18.13 at 9:53 pm }

Great episode tonight.

26 Christina { 06.18.13 at 9:55 pm }

Very nicely put LB! And Andrea!

27 Andrea { 06.18.13 at 10:16 pm }

Nice to see everyone all friends and the emotion coming out in all of them, even Dawn!
I thought Mr Bouris would keep Stephanie around because she would have more energy than the others and I liked his comments that Stephanie would be swimming the last lap!

28 Andrea { 06.18.13 at 10:25 pm }

Did you also notice the promo during the commercials about the new Big Brother, with a twist!
How exciting, can’t wait!

29 LB { 06.18.13 at 10:36 pm }

Cheers Christina – practical help is something I’m really passionate about.

30 daisy { 06.18.13 at 10:47 pm }

Hire a hubby? TH, I know a couple of tree fellers.
(No not three fellers. Boom boom).

31 Christina { 06.18.13 at 10:56 pm }

It was time for them to go. Not sure about the final four…am not championing for anyone in particular to win (like I usually do). I thought the challenge was brilliant, not just to Reno that fabulous place, but bring awareness of all such places to the viewers. It reminded me of a time I had completely forgotten, but I used to work somewhere that had lots of leftover food and while other staff would throw it out, I would wrap it up on trays and drive it to a local shelter where it was always appreciated. Every little bit helps.

But even with the brilliant challenge, I still just felt a bit like I was being duped by the show, like they were (for want of a better word) lying and thought I was stupid. I know that probably sounds stupid in self – it’s just a tv show! I guess they have to show it happen in one day for story flow, crew and budget constraints. It just follows a season that has felt so contrived in so many other ways as well…. Still love it though, haha!!

Anyone else miss the light entertainment of Layla this episode?

32 J.A.Lefeaux { 10.26.13 at 6:04 pm }

The girls team most definitely did not deserve to win. Not only did it have no hope of going viral, I don’t even see it anywhere on Youtube – even after searching “Heinz Soup of the Day Celebrity Apprentice”. That’s even including on the Heinz Australia Youtube Channel. If you want to see how hopeless the girls’ video was, I don’t think Heinz even uploaded it!

At least the 8 Shades of Soup comes up on the first page (unsupported, by the way) with a couple hundred views. It’s far from viral, but note that even the popular Heinz commercials only really reach a couple thousand at best. Really, both Celebrity Apprentice and Heinz screwed that one up.

As for why Jeff wasn’t fired, that’s simple – Celebrity Apprentice Australia makes absolutely no effort to conduct a fair contest. The show simply aims to raise as much money as possible, and so tries to keep the most interesting (and best money-raising) field. The actual performance has absolutely nothing to do with it.