Guest Post: House Rules – Is Plinio Always The Culprit?

Annajjj is back with another great recap, yesterday’s got wiped in a technical error. Over to you Annajjj:

Queensland; beautiful one day, stressful the next. Tonight (or as Voice Over says Ta-nite) Nick unleashes his previously well hidden ego and we get a major disaster with what looks like a pipe bursting in the house.

Leighton tells camera that in order to win you have to work outside your comfort zone. Michelle reminds us this is their fifth reno and their last chance to impress.  Jane tells us she hates living in the tent but it is not supposed to be a reward Jane. Quick plug for Pauls® milk and Sultana Bran® and then Jane explains her concept for the gym room. She wants two mirrors so if two people are working out they can kind of watch each other. As you do.

The other teams think Team Plinth have a big advantage doing the gym room but they don’t have to have Jane on their teams. Plinth needs all the advantage he can get.

Couples Camp continues to work its magic on Leighton and Reese. Their couple motto is now “We are not going to bicker today” and it’s good to keep your expectations low. They beam supportively at each other and I think I preferred these two when they were fighting.

Barry had a shocker of a day yesterday but today is going better so far. The tiling team turn up and this First in First served rule is even more stupid that the roster system which allowed one team to hog all the tradies. Jemma asks the two men if they are her tilers and they nod enthusiastically. Leighton comes in to find out what is happening. I’ve got the other bathroom he tells them but Jemma has better legs in shorts than Leighton so he misses out.

Michelle and Kel are building their deck. Sneaky Chris comes sniffing around but he’s small fry and Michelle can deal with him. That’s ours and so is that and that and that. Chris goes running to his little brother for help. Michelle stands firm and Nick shoots her a filthy look as he goes back into the house.

The house is shaking too much to allow the tilers to mark out their level lines. The brothers jump around a bit just because being annoying is their thing then Chris asks is this place even safe? Which is the cue for….

Chester again! He is getting quite a lot of airtime this week. Did we find extra in the budget or something? Everyone is evacuated until the engineer can say the house is safe. This is eating into valuable time. The house is moving, says Chester, because it has been raised 2.4 metres in the air. No it is moving because you’ve turned it into a War of the Worlds tripod.

Chris takes advantage of the break to go shopping and he buys a single blue uncomfortable chair. He then goes back in and buys a grey comfortable one instead and it is a much better chair. Jemma also heads off but she’s on a mission to find the previous owners. Meet 94 year old Cora and we hear about how much the family loved the house. But not enough to keep it. You have to move on Cora says. Yes at 94 you don’t want to get stuck in a rut. Cora writes a little note for Seamy and Jemma gets emotional. Back at the house she gushes to everyone about her most amazing experience. Riveting says Nick sarcastically and he’s just verbalising what the rest of us were thinking.

We revisit the House Rules again and this is getting pretty boring as we’ve seen it about a hundred times. Yes we know they are conflicting and positive and everyone was shocked blah blah blah.

Michelle is in an antique shop looking for a metal splashbacks. She finds a silvery pressed brick splashback and the boys think it looks like alfoil. But Michelle doesn’t have time for your negativity. She likes the alfoil so much she decides to cover the entire kitchen with it.

McCrave-Burger arrives and she only ever seems to target Jane, possibly because no one else is giving her the time of day. Even Jane starts losing patience with her as once again McCrave makes placement suggestions about 2 days too late and maybe they need to get this woman on an earlier flight.

Meanwhile Kel is building the deck and hammering in nails crooked. Can’t wallpaper, can’t paint and can’t hit a nail in straight. Combine that with Michelle’s artistic design skills and it is cute that these two think they have a real chance of winning this competition. Deluded but cute.

Jane is in the laundry and she has giant sweat patches under her arms which she probably didn’t get from working hard. Plinth has 150 slats to paint and he makes a start. Later we see that Jane has been dragged out of the tent and is standing in her pyjamas reluctantly helping him.

Next morning and Nick’s ego has puffed up even more overnight. Barry is fed up with him and tells camera Nick thinks he is better than everyone on earth. Well he is 22 so of course he does. Then Nick lets Kel swap out some decking. He’s actually a good guy when he is not being a prat.

Four tons of fretwork arrives along with the world’s biggest front door. Chris’s theory is that a big front door gives the impression of something big behind it. Kel gets the giggles. So do you think you should wear big pants? asks Michelle and Kel and Australia crack up.

Reese has borrowed Jemma’s tiny green shorts so she can entice the tilers into their zone. The spacing for the taps in the bathroom is wrong so Reese then heads off to get a new fitting. Then Leighton calls her with some good news; he’s been able to fix the issue. What a legend says Reese but it would have been more legendary if he had worked that out before she set off.

Alfoil tiles now line the entire kitchen. The room looks like a giant tool box and is possibly the least hangover-friendly kitchen space ever. Well you wanted Industrial and if you have Michelle renovating for you, you can’t be vague about these things. You want a splash; you get a giant water feature. Like the industrial look? Welcome to your new engineering workshop. Michelle is hoping for a wow from the judges and she’ll probably get it.

Over to the long suffering Plinth who stoically submits to Jane twittering around trying to decide on tv placement. Maybe mount it here, maybe there, or go off centre over there. How about I mount it on your head, says Plinth but not out loud.

Michelle is trying to get a fan for her area. She tries to reason with Leighton then threatens to hit him and when that fails she calls in the big guns. The Kelminator. He then reminds that she is actually the scariest person in the house and with that she goes back and simply picks up the fan she wants and takes it.

There is a lime green feature wall in the lounge which is next to the aluminium kitchen and when we’ve seen the previews of Amy being ecstatic it can’t be when she is in this area. As usual Jane sits down and supervises Plinth doing all the work.

It is 2am and Jemma and Barry have gone back to the motel. The others are still working when suddenly there is a disaster. There is a major leak and no one can turn the water mains off. Ok this does appear to be being dramatic as we were promised.  Nick yells for Plinth to put his fingers in his holes and Plinth looks taken aback. There are a lots of fingers and holes and the boy with the dyke springs to mind but I’m not going there. Finally they work out that someone has knocked the valve. Who is the culprit? Voice Over asks as we are given shots of the three least popular contestants.

In the morning Plinth takes full responsibility for knocking the valve even though he can’t actually remember doing it. It feels a bit like he is covering for Jane but it’s possible I only think that because I like him better than her. Jemma and Barry arrive and the bad news is broken. Plinth tries to put a positive slant on it by calling the flood a water feature but Barry isn’t amused.

Again we are told that more than one team will not finish but frankly I’d be surprised if anyone finishes. House reveal on Monday.

1 katmac { 06.14.13 at 10:52 am }

Another cracker post!
It astounds me how stumped J & P seem regarding the design of the workout room. Its not that hard, just do a quick google image search if you’re that stumped.
I really wish the teams had co-ordinated the wall panelling so it was uniform throughout.

2 Veronica { 06.14.13 at 10:58 am }

I can’t understand why no one ever does a floor plan so they can see what fits where. Instead, they only think about furniture placement at the last minute.

3 Veronicali { 06.14.13 at 11:09 am }

I’ll give the kitchen a wow … wow I thought the splashback would just go behind the stove and not over every wall right up to the ceiling :/ Tool box indeed! Michelle & Kel won’t win but they do get their recently acquired hovel renovated for free.

Yes pointless that McCraving woman coming in telling Jane that’s not the best spot for the telly – as we see the wires sticking out ready for the install. I don’t get the fad for putting tvs on the wall, no flexibility there, just get them a nice cabinet so the furniture can be repositioned anytime.

In the happy Amy promo I see a hint of green wall behind her – wait until she turns around! And guys, that’s how to make a woman squee – a real laundry!

4 Lynette { 06.14.13 at 11:12 am }

I thought Jemma’s idea for including something about the original owners wasn’t a bad one. It is not her fault that the producers thought it would be better to show her running around going to the titles office and getting the photos printed, all in tiny shorts, than actually buying furniture for the master bedroom. I thought Nick’s comment was to be expected, and Michelle’s comment about the gesture not earning any more points was probably true. However, I thought Plinio’s comment was a bit spiteful coming from people who think it is good design to put a leopard skin robe in the bathroom and a hatrack with a couple of old hats in the study nook.

5 brain dead dave { 06.14.13 at 11:46 am }

It looked to me like one of the nails Kel was crookedly hammering in was in fact a screw.

Great observations on Gemma’s and Reese’s shorts. It’ll have the tradies forever adjusting their tool belts.

If it was me, I’d be pranking the wanking Nick at every opportunity.

Thanks,annajjj.

6 Reality Raver { 06.14.13 at 1:24 pm }

The question that has to be asked is will House Rules beat The Block in the ratings soon? Here are last nights and it is getting very close indeed. 2 The Block Sky High Nine 1,276,000
House Rules Seven 1,236,00
I think Annajjj’s recaps are drawing in the viewers!

7 brain dead dave { 06.14.13 at 1:31 pm }

I stopped watching the Block about three weeks ago. Too much Scotty, not enough show. The twins make me sick. I don’t know why Keith just doesn’t come out.

8 AJ { 06.14.13 at 1:42 pm }

I missed this episode, but thanks to Annajjj, now I’m caught up.

The description of Michelle’s “tiles” just makes me want to see Monday’s episode even more! And it’s nice to read that Leighton is being slightly nicer to Carly and that Jane and Plinio are their usual incompetent selves.

9 LB { 06.14.13 at 2:11 pm }

Someone said on Twitter last night, what’s the bet a member of the production team flipped the water on to create a new drama. Hmmmm

I couldn’t understand why they didn’t call Jemma & Ben and let them know what had happened. I’d have been filthy if I arrived the next morning and be told what had happened.

Maybe there could be Australia’s Bitchiest Renovaters AllStars with the twins from the block going up against Nick & Chris :-/

10 Andrea { 06.14.13 at 3:45 pm }

I hate The Block, so drawn out and boring with all the stupid challenges.
House Rules gives us what we’ve been asking for, straight into the house reno, reveal each week and appreciative owners getting the chance of a lifetime.
Poor Plinio, he tries hard.

11 Rocky { 06.14.13 at 11:32 pm }

I say the possum did it!

12 Rocky { 06.15.13 at 12:22 am }

Annajjj. Your writing is ready for Hollywood.

I can’t believe Chris & Nick and that big inappropriate door. After last week you would think they would have learned their lesson about “plonking” things down in the wrong place.

I say the possum Pat flipped the water on. That willl teach them evicting me.!

Mad that Plinio got the blame. One minute Plinio the Renaissance man, then the next minute Plinio the Mr. Magoo of the work site. Orders the wrong lights, then saves a possum. Wallpaperer extrodinaire, then floods the work site………..who is the real Plinio?

I was rooting for you Michelle and Kel. Even put a shout out for you getting a better zone in hopes of a shocking turnaround, but alas you are delivering a life-sized toolbox to Seamy. Really?

Just in case we forget this is a potential half million dollar prize at stake, look at the strategical posturing of the top two on the leader boards Amy and Reese “Oh Jane that lime green wall is lovely”, Michelle that metal toolbox is gorgeous, Nick I am just over the moon over your big door………………

Even so I would not count Jane and Plinio out this round. I think Amy is in ectasy over her workout room and laundry. The judges are another story.

13 annajjj { 06.15.13 at 7:29 am }

Great comments Rocky and thanks for the compliment!
You’re right, some of the others are definitely playing the game like that, I really love your lime green feature wall. It’s a dangerous game to play before your own house is done but afterwards its a neat and nasty trick to throw off the competition.
Poor Plinth, you’re spot on with that too. Producers can’t decide how to present him and I don’t think he should have taken full blame simply because everyone else refused to.

14 Georgie { 06.15.13 at 8:02 am }

Seeing Seamy arriving home in the promos, I noticed the front door opens outward – I suppose because it’s so bloody big there isn’t enough room at the entry to accommodate it opening in. Opening out works if you live in a cupboard but it’s awkward on a house. I saw an outward opening back door get caught in a wind gust once. It got ripped out of the owner’s hand and off its hinges.

15 Andrea { 06.15.13 at 8:41 am }

Agreed Georgie, I have one of those front doors with two glass panels featuring kookaburras ( Bunnings special ).
Something like this would be more in keeping with the character of the house IMO.
Jane and Plinth didn’t even get a new front door on their house in Tassie did they? I remember the dodgy paint job.
Yes, lets blame the possum in the watergate incident!

16 Veronicali { 06.15.13 at 11:10 am }

They said something about the door being a pivoting one – or some word like that, so it goes both ways. A bi door, maybe 😉

17 Georgie { 06.15.13 at 11:36 am }

Thanks Veronicali – maybe you can open it ‘out’ when you don’t want people to come in (it pushes them away) and ‘in’ when they’re welcome.

Agree Andrea, it doesn’t suit the house – smaller double doors would have worked okay on a pseudo Qlder and would still make a bigger entrance.

18 nanaliz { 06.15.13 at 1:13 pm }

I have decided it is about time I came back To RR. Thanks to those who have said hi. Don’t worry I have not missed any post. I especially look forward to your recaps, annajjj. They really add to an enjoyable show.
Agree with you all about the large door at the entrance. My worry would be, apart for looks, is the fact that A&S couldn’t add fly wire doors down the track. Given the swamp like conditions and mozzies in abundance, if you wanted any flow of air through the house, fly wire is a must.
I keep feeling like I want to shout at J&P to stop planning and actually do some work. They are so frustrating. Wonder if A&S will need sunglasses in the lounge room with that bright green paint. Used as an accent it would be great, especially if they had a painting with that colour in it, but that wall is too much imo.

19 brain dead dave { 06.15.13 at 1:22 pm }

It looks too easy to see through the front door and see if no one’s home. A robber just has to break a pane of that glass and let themselves in.

20 Georgie { 06.15.13 at 1:26 pm }

Good to see you back nanaliz. You haven’t seen CB anywhere have you – he’s been awol this week?

21 nanaliz { 06.15.13 at 1:54 pm }

Hi Georgie, no sorry CB not seen around here. Agree BDD, I am nervous about glass in doors. One tap and hand can reach through to the lock inside. I must admit we have sliding glass doors all over the house but they are covered by mesh screen doors which are ugly but are required by insurance up here in tropics unless you want to pay a higher premium.

22 HENRY { 06.16.13 at 8:47 pm }

where in NUNDAH is the house

23 Pea beau { 06.20.13 at 10:41 pm }

Damn! You got me… Ha ha…

24 Pea beau { 06.20.13 at 10:49 pm }

Why would you post my last comment when you deleted the previous two, Emma? Now there’s no context, is there? I may be a tad snide but I have a right to make comments as does everyone else.

25 Pea beau { 06.20.13 at 10:52 pm }

Hence I will repeat my previous question. Why aren’t you covering The Block?

26 Reality Raver { 06.20.13 at 11:17 pm }

Pea Beau – on the top right hand section of the blog there is a search box, if you put the show you are looking for something should come up. Or another way of finding a show you like is to look in the categories on the left hand side and click on a show or personality on there and it should take you to the latest stories on that topic. But to help you out here was the last story I did on The Block http://www.realityravings.com/2013/06/16/the-block-kitchen-week/

27 Pea beau { 06.20.13 at 11:21 pm }