Masterchef Australia – What Is Happening Next Week?

When I said they need to rotate the judges more I did not mean for them to bring in ten year old! It is kids week next week on the show with guest judges Curtis Stone and Shannon Bennett also guest starring.

Here is the blurb:

Sunday 16 June, 7.30pm

Round one in tonight’s challenge sees a Mystery Box in the form of a lunch box. Upon opening, the contestants discover a typical kid’s lunch items: carrot and celery sticks, hummus, cheese and rice crackers, an apple, a plum, a box of sultanas, chicken sandwich on white bread with lettuce, an Anzac biscuit, a choc chip cookie, yoghurt and an orange juice box. They have 60 minutes to make the best dish they can using these ingredients. The judges will only select the six most appealing dishes to taste and choose the Dish Of The Day.

Round two sees the contestants split into three categories of kids’ most hated foods with the challenge of turning these items into something appealing – anchovies, brussel sprouts and liver. With special pint-sized judges on board to decide who can do justice to these ingredients, five contestants will go into tomorrow’s Immunity Challenge.

Monday 17 June, 7.30pm

The top five contestants from yesterday’s challenge prepare for the first Immunity Challenge of the series. The judges tell them they have access to the pantry, but it is a pantry with a difference. This pantry is pitch black.

They have one visit to the pantry and whatever they bring out is what they will be cooking with; they have 60 minutes to make the best dish they can. The contestant who cooks the best dish wins the Immunity Pin.

Tuesday 18 June, 7.30pm

As the contestants arrive at Penleigh and Essendon High School, Gary introduces two very special guests: Shannon Bennett and Curtis Stone, former students at this school. As each guest leads a team, an old school playground team pick ensues one contestant left is unhappy to be chosen last.

The challenge today is to feed 450 starving students. The contestants have four hours to prep under the guidance of Shannon or Curtis. Both guest chefs have prepared a menu which the contestants can choose to use or not.

Wednesday 19 June, 7.30pm

Yesterday’s losing team from the Tuck Shop Challenge face elimination today. The challenge is in two parts. Round one involves an egg whip challenge. The first seven contestants to separate yolks from white and then whip the whites to achieve stiff peaks escape round two and elimination.

For round two it’s replicating Bernard Chu’s tricky lolly bag cake from LuxBite’s patisserie in Melbourne. Each layer of his cake represents a different sweet from your classic kid’s lolly bag. Slicing the cake reveals just how complex this challenge will be, leaving the contestants petrified.

Thursday 20 June, 7.30pm

In tonight’s MasterClass we are joined by the wonderful Stephanie Alexander.

Stephanie’s passion for children to learn about food early in life saw her establish the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation. Tonight she and Matt Preston cook a spinach and potato torte.

George shows us how to have some fun with brussel sprouts, Gary treats us to the perfect pancake and a classic warm winter chicken salad, and Matt delights us with a cheat’s sorbet.

1 Joseph Skyrim { 06.14.13 at 11:12 am }

People force their kids to eat anchovies and liver? That’s disgusting. Also guessing now Clarissa is chosen last on Tuesday.

2 Maz { 06.14.13 at 11:44 am }

That’s a typical lunchbox???! I had a deprived childhood then. Isn’t muesli bars a lunchbox item anymore?

3 Bilsey { 06.14.13 at 12:48 pm }

Well thats given away top 5 for the lunchbox challenge! With nightvision promo its easy to see Emma and a few of the others in the ‘pitch black’ pantry! Hmmphh! Though if only Clarissa made top 5, someone could ‘accidently’ off her and it could turn into a big game of Cluedo? Who killed the opear singer in the pantry? What did they use? One of Matt’s crevats? A potato down her throat? Ahh at least then we could get some entertainment instead of being disappointed night after night with these rubbish contestants! I’ve wanted to apply for years but know that I’m not up to standard, maybe I’ve been wrong all these years.. Maybe I am the next Masterchef!

4 Reality Raver { 06.14.13 at 1:04 pm }

Joseph Skyrim – I don’t know any kids forced to eat liver or anchovies. I can barely force my kids to eat their vegetables.

Maz – I think I got the same lunch day in day out year after year.

Bilsey – that comment made me laugh and laugh.

5 Carole { 06.14.13 at 1:17 pm }

Wow, lunch boxes have changed, never had any of that in my lunch box.

I think Clarissa & Nolene will be picked last.

There is NOTHING you can do with anchovies, liver & brussel sprouts to make them appealing!!!!! Yuk!!!!! Good luck with that guys.

Jules was in next week’s TV Week talking about this challenge. She deals with a lot of under privileged kids, and seeing these spoilt brats turning their noses up at decent food made her very upset. Though I can’t say I blame them if it’s liver, anchovies & brussel sprouts.

Bilsey, you cracked me up with that one.

6 Joseph Skyrim { 06.14.13 at 1:30 pm }

@Bilsey (3)- LOL! ^_^

7 Damian { 06.14.13 at 1:40 pm }

This is a great brussels sprouts recipe: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2007/nov/24/weekend7.weekend3

I have made it a number of times and highly recommend it.

Also, anchovies are great (in anything) in Puttanesca.

Otherwise, the theme of the upcoming week looks so unappealing that I will be sitting out the week. It’s also, rather obviously, designed to play to the strengths of the contestants, which is to say they will be making easy food because it’s all they can do.

8 Morgan { 06.14.13 at 2:06 pm }

The immunity challenge sounds like the stupidest thing ever. Why can’t they just cook normally? FFS.

LOL @ Bilsey’s comment!

9 daisy { 06.14.13 at 4:51 pm }

When I’m teaching this week I’ll look in the lunch boxes and get back to you if I find celery sticks, hummous etc.
I teach in an underpriveleged school where essays about holidays require words like arrested, firearms and testify against my dad,
and a private school.
Either way I think it tends to be an easy sanger, a meusli bar, those cream cheese and cracker packs and a juice box.

10 Damian { 06.14.13 at 7:49 pm }

Daisy – my sweetheart is a teacher in a fairly small town and, yes, hummus, celery sticks and the like are NOT very regularly inside the lunch boxes of these kids.
Bit of a shame, really, as this *could* have been a good opportunity to highlight the problem of kids who don’t get enough to eat from their parents, or who receive bad food.

11 Socs { 06.14.13 at 11:41 pm }

God Daisy that sounds like a nightmare!
Lots of luck and hugs for having to go through that; poor kids!

I’m not a big fan of liver (don’t like the metallic taste), but I love anchovies (they go with pretty much anything you want to oomph up with an umami flavour), and brussel sprouts can be brilliant if cooked properly. I second the Ottolenghi recipe too, btw.

12 daisy { 06.14.13 at 11:51 pm }

You’re not supposed to hug them ….all the child safety stuff, which is mostly good to protect kids. But I’m just a Granny and they need hugs and I have lots. Only in public though.

13 Georgie { 06.16.13 at 5:57 pm }

Just saw a promo for tonight – Jowlsy’s suit looks like a picnic tablecloth. My partner said “obviously his supposed expertise in food doesn’t flow through to his dress sense”. Out of the mouths of non-watchers…

14 brain dead dave { 06.16.13 at 6:38 pm }

If that’s the red and black checked number, Georgie…he looks like a big liquorice allsort…with jowls.

15 Carole { 06.16.13 at 6:53 pm }

Ha ha ha BDD, you cracked me up with that one.

16 Georgie { 06.16.13 at 6:57 pm }

That’s the very one bdd – the bejowled Beau Brummel of RTV.

PS. No it’s red with white stripe making checks – sorry.

17 Morgan { 06.16.13 at 8:48 pm }

Horrible editing tonight, some of the people who cooked in the second challenge weren’t even shown in the first one. Clarissa is a moron, what was thinking by just cooking a piece of liver and just serving it with mash and gravy? She seriously thought the kids would like that?

Don’t care who wins the pin tomorrow, as long as it’s not Kelty. I find it funny that they’re not cooking off against professional chefs for the pins this year, the people this year would get humiliated!

18 Littlepetal { 06.16.13 at 9:08 pm }

Also one of them is guaranteed an ammunity pin, regardless of the dish. As long as it is better than the other 4 contestants but not necessary a good dish.

Gary said Rishi has some unusual combination but they worked. I think he will go far.

I have a feeling Kelty will get the pin to annoy the hell out of me (and Morgan)

19 Georgie { 06.16.13 at 9:50 pm }

Lol Morgan, you got that right, Clarissa is a moron!

Now children, what’s the best way to get the dreaded liver into you without you suspecting it – oh I know, a pan fried lump of it. Yummo!

That suit was definitely the picnic cloth one, not the liquorice allsort bdd.

20 Daisy { 06.16.13 at 10:19 pm }

As soon as I saw Jowlsy I thought the table cloths fom an Italian restaurant. Or a clown if he had a squirting flower cravat and clown shoes.

21 brain dead dave { 06.16.13 at 10:34 pm }

Yes, it was a new suit Jowl$y literally busted out, Georgie. The red and black one would be back in his sumptuous walk in robe. It indeed was like a picnic tablecloth. He even provided his own spread into the bargain.

22 Georgie { 06.16.13 at 10:44 pm }

I thought Clarissa really missed an opportunity tonight. She could have gone for the trifecta and served boiled brussel sprouts and an anchovy sauce with the liver and mash.

23 brain dead dave { 06.16.13 at 10:55 pm }

I think Clarissa braying “Anyone got a spare samwitch? ” repeatedly was particularly annoying. So loud, so abrasive and there were moments I just couldn’t look at the screen while she was slicing and dicing offal.

For comedy’s sake, I hope she makes it to Dubai.

I thought liver crumbed with some hundreds and thousands from the Ma$terchef pantry might have been a hit.

24 Daisy { 06.16.13 at 11:02 pm }

When Jowlsy is finished with his suit he could use it for a board game.

25 Reality Raver { 06.16.13 at 11:05 pm }

Laughing at the suit comments.