The Voice – And The Winner Is……

It was no surprise that Harrison Craig won the second season of The Voice Australia tonight he was outselling the other three finalists on the iTunes charts.

This makes it a second win for Seal as a coach on the show giving him a 100 percent success rate. It also goes to show that you don’t need a strong team to win. You just need one good singer. Harrison will win a record contract with Universal, $100,000 and a Ford Kuga.

His single Unconditional is now out and his debut album will be out next Tuesday.

Runner up was Luke Kennedy, with Celia Pavey coming third and Danny Ross the first to be eliminated tonight.

The live finale had a lot of live performances starting with the final for singing the John Farnham song “You’re The Voice”. Clearly it has been a long day as it took me until nearly half way through the song before I realised why they were singing it. Duh!

Each finalist sang a duet with their coach. Luke Kennedy and Ricky  Martin’s duet of Roxanne was fantastic. Ricky proved why he is such a superstar.

Joel again imparted a sense of fun into the show and hopefully NINE won’t have a brain explosion over that incident last week and will bring him back next year. He is the most entertaining of the coaches.

Delta and Celia sang Fleetwood Mac’s You Can Go Your Own Way. There were some nice moments but not sure the song really suited either of their voices.

Seal and Harrison Craig then did a duet called My Brother and they both looked like they were enjoying it. Seal’s gold shoes were fantastic.

Robin Thicke and One Republic also kept the energy up and gave good performances.

Delta sang her new single with Ryan Tedder on piano. It did cross my mind if Seal thought she was over emoting. If you missed the furore over that go here. The last to sing for the night was Ricky Martin with his new single and Twitter was rife with rumours he had lip synched.

However TV Tonight was quick to ask the question and he tweeted:

Screen shot 2013-06-17 at 10.43.54 PM

The runners up  don’t go home empty handed and received $20,000 each to kick start their career. It will be interesting to see which of the contestants get signed up with record labels in the next few weeks.

Good news for those who want to apply Season Three auditions are now open. Go to the official website  www.thevoice.com.au for further details.

1 Daisy { 06.17.13 at 10:56 pm }

Damn. I haven’t started watching yet and accidentally saw the winner on ninemsn. I think Luke is like a very young Johnny Farnham.

2 The purpleaster { 06.17.13 at 11:03 pm }

Harrison..YAWN……………….

3 Daisy { 06.17.13 at 11:05 pm }

Just listening to Joel and Danny. I like Danny Ross’s voice. I have all along. And I like his Stan Laurel costume. But I also really liked Kyomi.
I don’t think much of Joel’s voice.

4 Daisy { 06.17.13 at 11:14 pm }

Weird rendition of Roxanne. Great voices but “They didn’t connect with the song”. Too weird.

5 Daisy { 06.17.13 at 11:32 pm }

I didn’t really like that rendition of “Go your own way” either. I think Delta gave herself the best lines as she did last year with Rachel. Only last it was worse. She showcases herself more than her contestant.

At least Celia finally got to sing something more up-tempo.
I enjoyed a Robert Thick(?) singing Blurred lines. He was like a mixture of Elvis, and Bill Spencer and Deakin from B&B. Funny and entertaining. And how cute and camp was the was the way he openned with the standard back view. I wish I was at a club. I’d be up on the dance floor with that little number.

6 Daisy { 06.17.13 at 11:42 pm }

Where are you Bella2? They’re singing Nanna and Poppy songs again.
I am lovin’ “He ain’t heavy”. I might have to put my padded pjs on (too late, already have). I would put my teeth in a jar, can’t yet.
It seems to be all 60s and 70s so far. They could be watching this down at Eleanora Villas (retirement village).

I don’t mind but I know Bella’s not going to like it.
At least they haven’t rolled out Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.

7 Daisy { 06.17.13 at 11:57 pm }

Stylewise and voice I would probably only listen to Danny and Celia around the house. They both have voices that suit 70’s folk and hippy music IMO.
Celia could team up with Gautier.

8 Eliza { 06.18.13 at 12:18 am }

That was the most anticlimactic finale ever! The whole iTunes aspect of the show just takes away from any of the suspense. You could tell who was going to come where and that Harrison would easily win! I recorded the finale so could FF through most of it. The performances were pretty meh. Ricky and Luke were by far the best as the other songs sounded really mediocre and they didn’t suit their voices. Joel was struggling. He definitely gives it a good go though and is entertaining.

I am divided on Delta’s new song. I feel like she sings at one pace, while the song goes at another… I think she is a great singer though. Ricky’s song was interesting with the sound and picture going out of sync…

I actually met Delta Goodrem’s close friend the other day so was able to have a fun chat with her about the show! She was really lovely. I do feel sorry for the judges copping all the slack for some of the dodgy song choices when it is the producers that make the decisions and ultimately choose the songs. Supposedly the judges can make a push for a certain song, but doesn’t mean they will let their contestant sing it. It’s a shame and really explains some of those dodge song choices, where I was sitting there wondering why a coach (when they are meant to help them succeed) would pick a song that their contestant struggles with. She told me some much better sounding songs (that I can’t remember now) that Delta wanted Celia to sing but wasn’t granted permission. I was told that Dealta REALLY didn’t want her to sing Xanadu!!! It’s an easy way for the producers to control who stays and goes. Give the terrible song choices to the contestants they want gone! I found Harrison’s song choices throughout quite boring and all the same but it seemed to be working for him. Many weeks you could tell the contestants knew their time was up. Delta’s friend was really forthright – she said we all know who is going to win – Harrison. Luke will be second, Celia third and Danny fourth.

Hey Daisy, do you mean Gotye?

How cool is Harrison’s brother? He stole the show for me.

9 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 12:26 am }

Eliza, yes. Gotye. And what an interesting comment you have made with all the inside info.
Good scoop.

10 Eliza { 06.18.13 at 12:40 am }

There were so many other questions I wanted to ask but weren’t appropriate esp when I was at work at the time/I didn’t want to be too annoying!

11 Mel { 06.18.13 at 1:11 am }

A total yawn fest. Like I said last week, there is absolutely no tension in a finale like tonight when it’s pretty obvious who is going to win. And sadly it’s not because the winner is such a standout, hands-down, clear winner for their talent and performance quality. Nice boy Harrison, but he is unspeakably dull and bland. And the comparisons with Kermit the Frog and Tom Waterhouse are a little hard to put aside once you’re aware of it.

Personally, this season really fizzled and dragged its feet to the end and I think channel 9/the production company really need to look at the transparency of the voting because anybody can download iTunes these days and figure it out for themselves.

I think a change in the coaches would be a great idea (Seal, in particular) for next season. But given what Eliza says above it’s probably a better idea to punt the producers or at least take away their control of song choice because that was one of the most disappointing aspects of this season. The constant mystifying choice of songs was totally off-putting IMO.

12 elise { 06.18.13 at 4:52 am }

I nominate Daisy for next season’s coaching – she’s already got the
“didn’t connect with the song” lingo thing!

On a more serious note, I also heard that the producers choose the song choices, but wasn’t sure whether to believe it for two reasons:
1. didn’t think the prods could be such narcissistic, conniving b**stads
2. didn’t think any self-respecting “coach” would be in on that kind of deal – I don’t think Celia’s song choices have done Delta’s career/image any real favors (not to mention what it’s done to Celia) – everyone is blaming and abusing Delta, assuming it’s her decision.
Having said that, maybe self-respect goes out the window when, in the case of Joel and Deepak Sealpra, there aren’t many other gigs offering 2 mill and 1.5 mill respectively for doing practically nothing (which is now even less than we originally thought, as they aren’t even choosing the songs).
Incidentally, rumor has it that Delta is paid only 750k (presumably because she lacks the “international stature” of her fellow coaches).

Also heard from the same source that immediately after Harrison Craig’s audition, he signed up with a “manager” – who also just happens to be a producer at channel 9. Can’t confirm this, but if it’s true, it’s obviously a massive conflict of interest … then again, judging by the way the program operates, this should suit $hine just fine …

13 elise { 06.18.13 at 5:04 am }

sorry – just realized I got that the wrong way round, respectively – Sealpak Chopra reportedly gets 2 mill, with Joel on 1.5 mill.
Joel was apparently requesting a pay rise to the same level as his higher paid colleagues, for the next season … he might have to re-think that in light of recent events.

14 Georgie { 06.18.13 at 7:38 am }

We’ve just witnessed the birth of another club circuit performer.

Karise is probably up in the hills doing the moon dance circuit.

Jack V got lost somewhere trying to find his Justin Bieber.

Samantha Jade has been on the verge of a breakthrough for 15 years.

The only one making a name for themselves is Altiyan – but not for his music!

15 Kellie { 06.18.13 at 8:23 am }

Get rid of Seal- bring back Keith Urban.
For next season should be Ricky, Keith, Delta & ?

You’ll probably find that the owner of the songs don’t want their songs used & that’s why the producers have final say.

Wasn’t it last year when one of the contestants who go though the blinds but no any futher complained to Today Tonight that she wasn’t allowed to sing what she wanted & was told what to sing.

I always knew that some artists don’t allow their music to be used.

I knew the order of the finalists from the moment it was annouced they where the finalists, didn’t take a genius

16 auds { 06.18.13 at 9:48 am }

I thought the rendition of Roxanne was hideously shocking. I had to fast forward through it.

Sting is probably crying into his beer right about now

17 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 9:58 am }

Elise@12. I’d never pull off the gold platforms, dark sunnies indoors and other ridisculous outfits.
I’d love to have worn Delta’s green lurex hot pants though but on my much shorter legs, less fake tanned legs. I’d have to get a Hollywood knee-lift.
Then I’d have to practice saying tthings like ‘dude’ and ‘bro’ and ” I love Seal, we love each other”.
But for the $$$$$ I’d shave my head and paint flowers or beach towels on it. Hell I’d even paint Julia Gillard’s bum on my head for that money.

18 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 9:58 am }

Now awaiting my Germaine Greer moment. :)

19 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 10:14 am }

That’s what I thought auds. I couldn’t get my head around it.
It didn’t sound anything like a guy urging his pro girlfriend not to go hooking. That’s why I said they didn’t connect. Perhaps they thought Other songs that probably won’t translate to opera:
Layla
Old Man by Neil Young
Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I’ve got Love in my Tummy.

20 Ryan { 06.18.13 at 10:14 am }

Stevie Nicks’ voice is bleating at times, but were Delta and Celia yodelling at the end of ‘Go Your Own Way’? Two affected singers performing together is never a good idea. In fact, the only one who sang well on the night was surprisingly Seal, who hasn’t sounded that good since, what, 1995?

21 Izobel2 { 06.18.13 at 10:17 am }

Hey Daisy! Sorry I was a taxi for my dad last night, and only watching The Voice now!
Yes the Grandpa songs were out in force again last night!
Blurred Lines was the song I told you about last week Daisy.

I have fast forwarded most of the show. Interesting comments on the inside info Eliza. I don’t like how the judges are just so in awe of every singer every week. There’s hardly ever criticism, there’s always “you’ll be a massive international star and I’ll be sitting in the front row every week” type stuff.
Another reality show over… I’m sure one will take it’s place in the next couple of weeks. Is it the Bake Off Show?

22 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 10:19 am }

Georgie@14 The Music industry is hard. It would be more lucrative if thet turned “Wiggle”. With the merchandizing.

23 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 10:22 am }

I thought the blurred line guy was hillarious. So OTT.
And the song was a real little toe-tapper (I had to throw in the old persons’ speak and say toe-tapper in keeping with the age of most of the songs).
I thought the new song, Delta’s was a snooze.

24 Anonymous { 06.18.13 at 10:31 am }

I love how Ricky and Delta’s songs are outselling Harrison’s new one on the charts.

25 Mark { 06.18.13 at 10:57 am }

I’m glad it wasn’t only me that thought half the songs were lip synched.

Definitely the solo numbers of Delta, Ricky and Thicke were suspect. Did you catch the nervous sideways looks in their eyes when the songs were over? (Sunglasses at night aside.)

Oh, and are we really going to believe anything the Channel 9 producers say? If we all thought some songs were lip synched, then they probably were.

The info about the producers dictating the song choices sucks big time if it’s true. It explains a lot about why this season has been so bad.

And isn’t it interesting that Celia and Delta sing a Fleetwood Mac hit with the actual band set to tour here in a few months. Cynical? Moi? Nooooo.

PS @Ryan, love your quote :”the only one who sang well on the night was surprisingly Seal, who hasn’t sounded that good since, what, 1995?”

26 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 11:06 am }

Agree Mark, The ‘deadly night shades’ were lame and try-hard.

They can’t blame it on the lights because then all of the artists would be wearing protective eyewear.

27 Ryan { 06.18.13 at 11:07 am }

Thanks Mark, and yes, I noticed Delta was clearly lip-synching, actually, scratch that, she didn’t even seem to try and match the sound after a while. Terrible.

28 Reality Raver { 06.18.13 at 12:23 pm }

Daisy – I loved Robin Thicke after a quick google he looks really interesting. Son of a Gloring Loring of Day of Our Lives and Alan Thick of Growing Pains! Also married his high school sweetheart.

Eliza – Good goss. I think for some judges would like to have more control over song choices but others just want to get the cash. However as you said poor Delta must be pissed copping the flack for Xanadu and Edelweiss.

Hope they keep Joel as he is the one that gives the show the fun. Sure he has backed the wrong horse in his team each year.

29 Jason { 06.18.13 at 12:29 pm }

Not surprised who won. I have never watched an episode but picked Harrison to win due to my theory that the voting public for reality shows is primarily teenage girls.

30 Reality Raver { 06.18.13 at 12:32 pm }

Jason – I disagree I think it was the mum’s voting for Harrison Craig as he was Buble junior.

31 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 3:37 pm }

I loved him t0o RR. I’ll go cheesey clubbing with you, wearing aviator sunnies.

32 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 3:39 pm }

Yes can’t imagine too many young girls having voted for Harrison, not unless they also love lawn bowls and bingo nights. He’s definitely eye-candy for the over 70s. Aaaaaawww! Isn’t he adorable.