Joel Madden’s Drug Bust Is Turning Into A PR Nightmare For The Hotel

Who would thought in a scenario which involved a pop star, a drug bust and a hotel that it would be the hotel that is coping with the public relations fallout.

Joel Madden who was evicted from the upmarket The Darling last week because a small amount of marijuania found in his room at the time he received a caution from the NSW Police. However it has been revealed the drug was actually in a shoe box.

The Daily Telegraph reports:

THE cannabis in Joel Madden’s hotel room at The Star casino was found hidden in a Louis Vuitton shoe box in the private bathroom of his penthouse suite, room 1573.

Seven levels of The Darling hotel’s management had to be notified of the find after a hotel housekeeping supervisor discovered it while cleaning the room before 6.30pm on Sunday, June 9.

At the end of that chain was The Darling’s general manager of property operations Mark Harbridge, who immediately told the duty manager not to evict the American celebrity and Good Charlotte singer from the five-star premises.

However someone must have decided to call the police and set off a chain of events that has garnered international headlines. They may now find it harder to find celebrities willing to stay there and suspect there will be increased scrutiny of recreational drug use and other criminal activity that occurs on and around the premises.

Joel Madden has kept it classy throughout this whole debacle and said:

“Sydney is my adopted home and I appreciate the way the NSW Police handled the situation,” he wrote. “I hope this didn’t cause too much drama for everyone.”

Hopefully we will see Joel back here again next year for The Voice Australia as he does give the show a sense of fun.

Someone who is not keeping it classy is Nigella Lawson’s husband Charles Saatchi whose response to the pictures where he is clutching her by the throat is saying it is a “playful tiff”.Β The Independent UK is also saying he has now been cautioned by the Police.

1 brain dead dave { 06.18.13 at 12:22 pm }

Those cleaners at the Star Casino are just so thorough. You never know when there could be some gambling chips or valuables in a shoebox that need dusting.

2 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 1:58 pm }

Good advertising for Louis Vuitton.
Where do you keep your little green bag? Oh in my Louis Viutton.

3 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 2:02 pm }

See now Vuitton, there’s a word I can’t spell….along with Versace and Gucchi.

In Singapore people were lining up to be allowed into buy a Versace handbag and they were only allowed in one person/couple at a time.
Suckers!

4 2ndhand { 06.18.13 at 2:08 pm }

When (if) they fire the cleaner (as they should) I would like to offer them a job – I have shoeboxes full of dust bunnies, and a fridge that has an entire level that has been given over to ecoli developments – last I looked at that shelf there were little condominiums with “for Sale – water views” signs on them.

5 Socs { 06.18.13 at 2:20 pm }

Your comment made me laugh 2ndhand.
Perhaps my ecoli city and yours could be sister cities!

6 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 2:31 pm }

@ndhand: ha ha. The super sleuth could get a job checking up on cheating spouses.
Or he’she could write a book on all the juicy things found while nosing in Louis Vuitton boxes.
Mind you, it could have been completely innocent. He/she might have just been wanting to try on Joel’s shoes.

7 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 2:32 pm }

The trick is only hide your dope in a Betts and Betts shoe box.

8 Reality Raver { 06.18.13 at 2:36 pm }

To be honest the whole thing just seems weird.

9 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 2:53 pm }

Of course it’s weird to we mortals RR.

10 Littlepetal { 06.18.13 at 2:58 pm }

Daisy, did you pack your shoe box when you were in Singapore? Who travel with shoe boxes.

11 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 3:02 pm }

Littlepetal is Changi prison still operational?

12 Littlepetal { 06.18.13 at 3:08 pm }

Yes. Changi prison is still there.

13 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 3:11 pm }

Is it 5 star?

14 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 3:13 pm }

I’d love that hotel cleaner to come and tidy up Woolif’s walk-in.
He has lots of shoe boxes.

15 2ndhand { 06.18.13 at 3:15 pm }

Good point Littlepetal – who does travel with shoe boxes???? Oh, I know, those very wealthy people who don’t have to worry about excess baggage. Or maybe he just bought them in Sydney. Or maybe he just travels with the one box, just to impress the cleaning staff in hotels. I would be very surprised if he wore anything other than joggers, or similar grotty footwear – hard to see him in Luis Vuitton.

16 Littlepetal { 06.18.13 at 3:23 pm }

There are LV sneakers

17 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 3:23 pm }

Who does travel with shoe boxes? The same people who own Lius Vuitton, travel first class and have a different coloured head every evening.

18 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 3:24 pm }

2ndhand. Grotty Luis Vuitton. Perhaps the cleaner noticed this and wanted to do him a service.

19 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 3:25 pm }

Off to the shops now to buy myself a Pierre Cardigan.

20 Techhater { 06.18.13 at 3:53 pm }

Now this is really serious. I had a really nice box where I stored my different sized button batteries. Desi decided he wanted the box. Now here’s the conundrum (did I spell that right, oh well) The only clock that works in our house has died due to battery death. The question is where are the batteries. Can someone please give me the name and phonenumber of that cleaner so she can find my batteries in a box. Maybe then i’ll believe it is NOT 20 past 11. πŸ˜›

21 2ndhand { 06.18.13 at 4:04 pm }

@Techhater. Love that the only clock that works in your house has died. Hmmmm. Methinks perhaps you don’t have any clock that works in your house any more. And you must realise that the cleaner will only be able to find them if Desi has put them in ANOTHER box. And preferably an expensive one. With dope in it.

22 Loz { 06.18.13 at 4:14 pm }

I hope the cleaner is fired for going through someone else’s personal property, they aren’t supposed to touch other people’s stuff.

23 Techhater { 06.18.13 at 4:34 pm }

2ndhand HELP!!!!:-S

24 Daze { 06.18.13 at 4:36 pm }

Well said Loz, why go through a person’s personal stuff, agree, that staff member should be fired. Anyhow, seems the hotel has copped some unwanted flak and someone got a good payout for the tip off to the papers.

25 seepi { 06.18.13 at 4:43 pm }

I find this whole story really really odd too.

Originally I thought he must hvae been a really obnoxious tenant nad the hotel were desperate to get him out, but now it seems not.

I suppose it could really all be down to an overzealous and law abiding cleaner who called the police off their own bat.

26 2ndhand { 06.18.13 at 4:47 pm }

No worries techhater – am sending you whole bunch of batteries by thought osmosis right now. At least then you can imagine the clock works again. :)

27 Techhater { 06.18.13 at 5:06 pm }

2ndhand Damn it still not working. Clock still saying 11.20

28 Andrea { 06.18.13 at 5:37 pm }

Techahter, you need to borrow that big clock from House Rules, or carry one around your neck all the time like that rapper dude from America whose name I can’t remember.

29 Georgie { 06.18.13 at 5:41 pm }

When this story broke last week, my first thought was how does a celebrity score when they’re in another country for an extended period and don’t have their usual contacts? So maybe Joel owed the cleaner money.

30 brain dead dave { 06.18.13 at 5:46 pm }

Keith Richards’ autobiography is the definitive source on that question, Georgie.

31 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 5:50 pm }

Perhaps the cleaners at that hotel have sniffer dogs.

32 Georgie { 06.18.13 at 5:53 pm }

Thanks bdd, I imagine that would be an interesting read – I might get a copy.

33 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 5:55 pm }

I had a little weed, and Weed was it’s name,
And I put it in a matchbox and I kept it all the day,
But someone let my Weed out, yes someone let my Weed out.
Someone let my Weed out, And Weed ran away.
For those who love AA Milne.

RR you can’t expect this thread not to get weerd.

34 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 5:56 pm }

Georgie, he buys from the hairdresser…he’s tripping.

35 Georgie { 06.18.13 at 6:26 pm }

Daisy, I think his head art might be done by his kids.

36 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 7:24 pm }

With texta?

He would have to smoke dope because sitting for hours everyday having his hair done would be so boring. Too much tittivating.

37 Christina { 06.18.13 at 8:14 pm }

Maybe the box was on the floor and the cleaner was checking whether it was rubbish??? I bet the hotel regrets calling the police now, despite standing strong for the zero policy to the public!

38 Socs { 06.18.13 at 9:54 pm }

Actually I always travel with shoeboxes! Great for packing things that would otherwise get crushed/broken.
I find it really odd that a cleaner would be digging through someone’s luggage. Shouldn’t they be told not to?

39 Daisy { 06.18.13 at 10:30 pm }

Socs I always assume my personal belongings are left alone by hotel staff. Silly me.
It’s a bit like reading someone’s diary. It’s hard to complain if you don’t like what you find. It would be interesting to hear from the inquistive cleaner.

40 Loz { 06.19.13 at 12:34 pm }

But you check to see if it’s rubbish once the person has checked out of the hotel, not while they are staying there.
And yes I always assume my personal stuff is left alone by hotel staff too….I just won’t leave anything out now…..

41 Pea beau { 06.20.13 at 9:37 pm }

God I feel like a joint right now

42 Pea beau { 06.20.13 at 9:42 pm }

Hey, where’s security gone? (E.g. brain dead donga)

43 Pea beau { 06.20.13 at 9:47 pm }

By the way Georgie, when you’re a celebrity people ply you with drugs free of charge. Der