Masterchef Australia – The Blind Leading The Blind

Since I missed the first five minutes of the show I am just going to presume I missed the obligatory shot of Daniel shirtless. So after missing out on that look see, I  have to confess I hoped to see some covert groping in the pitch black pantry.

Unfortunately only Kelty copped a feel of Lynton, and there were no “Carry On” jokes of something trying to put Emma’s melons in their basket.

The rationale for the pitch black pantry was it was based on the children’s game of blind’s man bluff  as it was kids week. Weird as they did not have to cook a dish that would appeal to kids.

After two week’s of watching the show I have to say this season is entertaining me. Not for the cooking but the fact we are seeing a spread of contestants that are likeable and dislikable, and we are getting to see most of the dishes both good and bad. However regular readers will know I  do have a preference for cooking reality TV shows.

The five contestants Emma, Rishi, Lynton, Neha and Kelty were duking it out for an immunity pin, and it was a guaranteed one something not usually obtained so early in the series. At least this year they were winning it from their own cooking not from anyone elses. Last year Mindy achieved one on the back of Amina and Audra.

Rishi was confident as he reckons he is the “flavour elevator” and he had managed to grab the whole spice rack. Since he had concentrated all his efforts on getting spices the only protein he seemed to get was mince. The same for Neha  though not sure what she thought she was picking up when she selected the mince  and fish as she had wanted to cook a dessert. With her mish mash of ingredients she was never in the hunt for the immunity pin.

Kelty was in similar bother not because he did not have ingredients he is just Kelty. He was desperate to do well to show the other contestants that he is someone who could be a force in the competition. Because clearly they don’t think of him as a contender. All he knew was that he wanted to make his seafood sing.

Lynton grabbed a crab even though he had never cooked with  it before but maybe he should cook with seafood more often  as again he presented the most appetising dish.

Emma presented Cos Lettuce with Scallops, Balmain Bugs with a Orange Dressing. Matt said it was perfectly cooked and  juicy.

Rishi who thinks he has a good palate cooked Asian-Style Stuffed Vegetables with Rice Noodles and Prawn Crackers. He was going to do a soup or a stir fry but Matt Preston had hinted that this would be boring. Maybe he should have ignored Matt’s advice. His dish did not look good on the plate and Matt did not think it was as good as his grandmother used to make.

Neha was not confident with her dish. She had Grilled Chicken Skewers with stuffed peppers. Hers looked nice but as she said not a Masterchef dish. George loved the flavours but would have liked the pepper to be cooked more. Gary thought she could have done more.

Kelty made Tomato Pilaf with Pipis, Bugs and Sardines. Gary thought it looked a bit mucky on the plate. Kelty had not gutted the sardines and George spat it out as he must not seen the innards in there. Clearly that is not the type of offal the judges like to eat. Matt thought the bug was overcooked.

Lynton’s Tropical Crab looked delicious and Gary said he had cooked it perfectly.

Top two were Emma and Lynton and it was Emma who won the pin. Her best buddy Jules squealed so loudly you would have thought she had won it.

Tonight looks like a fun challenge in a school canteen with tempers flaring and guest chefs Shannon Bennett and Curtis Stone appearing.  Hopefully Clarissa and Kelty won’t be on the same team.

Masterchef Australia on TEN Sunday to Thursday at 7.30pm.

1 Reality Raver { 06.20.13 at 12:30 pm }

Andrea – I will contact a soap opera TV expert and get back to you.

2 Daisy { 06.20.13 at 12:30 pm }

I’m loving it right now.

3 brain dead dave { 06.20.13 at 12:34 pm }

Tony $oprano has died, btw.

4 Daisy { 06.20.13 at 12:39 pm }

Yes, saw that this a.m.
He wasn’t very old, was he?

5 Littlepetal { 06.20.13 at 1:45 pm }

Dr T@92. I do know why but I didn’t want to state that. Some people have other reasons for not liking Curtis. I actually find it quite intriguing when many Australians don’t support Australians that do well. Whereas they are popular overseas. Kylie M come into mind.

6 Zhee { 06.21.13 at 2:21 am }

Phew, thanks Anna for calling me a liar (at least that’s what I remember from “porkies”).

Regarding Masterchef… A few years back I was looking for cooking shows. As I lived in Ireland I only knew the British version and this one was on TV and quite boring (sad music, even sadder female off-voice). I then found Masterchef Australia Season 2 and I loved it from the beginning, Marion <3. But it was really difficult to get my handy on season 1. :(
I usually order shows on DVD but Australian shows are not on TV in Europe and you cannot rent or buy them anywhere. So hate the fact to look up streaming sites etc. Every TV channel offers to rewatch the episodes on their websites but guess what? It's not for my location. -.-

I am living 2 about 2 1/2 years now in France. And yeah, my French is still pretty bad. I get into trouble with the French Masterchef. But French love cooking. And yeah, Daisy, the patisseries here are phenomenal. I live in Versailles, that's not far away from Paris and I love baking. Near Les Halles in Paris are some streets full of shops which provide you with everything a baker needs. It's incredible.

And to finish it up: Originally I am from Germany. And I was totally shocked when Joanne and the rest baked "Blackforrest Cakes". They do not even look like the original one we have in Germany. 😀 But Gary's Spätzle were fun in Masterclass.^^

7 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 8:29 am }

You lucky thing, Zhee. I would love to be living in France. Food and pastries to die for.

Are you into Tour De France?

8 Andrea { 06.21.13 at 8:46 am }

I’d love to visit Versailles, it would be fantastic, sigh! Just a dream unless I win Lotto!

9 Zhee { 06.21.13 at 9:38 am }

Nope, but least year the streets next to our office were closed to Tour de France. 😉 Thing is I don’t try to indulge too much into the food here (Eire/Ireland was baaaad, me and my colleagues all gained tons of weight, I did not even gain that much when I was in the USA). But yeah, the greatest things are the Chocolatiers. One here in Versailles is fantastic and creates beautiful little things out of chocolate, so beautiful you won’t eat it. 😀

In general French food is made out of good quality products BUT they seem to hate salt and pepper. So you should always be prepared to put some more into your food in a restaurant.

10 Anna { 06.21.13 at 10:46 am }

Sadly Clarissa and Kelty hate campaign continues

Clarissa has gone, get over it!!

For some idiotic reason Kelty has agreed to talk to the camera ALL the bloody time…. he needs to zip it and start cooking

If Kelty is chucking a wobbly with the guys then, then my guess would be that they reciprocating but editing is not showing anything as it happens.

Makes me think that we are not watching MC but the Truman show

Ummm Zhee, it’s not the French Chefs who don’t like to use salt, it’s you who likes salty food

A few months ago I’ve seen a a few diners salt the food even prior to trying it. The dish was seasoned perfectly. The looks on their faces as they tried to eat their over-salted dish but couldn’t complain was priceless

11 Zhee { 06.21.13 at 11:21 am }

Oh Anna, you seem to have found a “soft spot” for me. <3

I do not like peppery or salty food so I am usually someone who does not put anything else on. I have visited a very good French restaurant with some colleagues. It looked great, it smelled great, the chicken was cooked to perfection with the rosemary and the mash was silky. But still, everyone on the table had to use salt and pepper. There were btw French, Germans, Brits one Spanish and a Russian guy. Still I would never complain to the kitchen because of the outstanding food quality.

PS: I never salt and pepper before trying my food.
PPS: I always have to laugh when I hear Manu Feidel whining "Ver is zeh sauce?", if order something with sauce here there's no need for salt and pepper. 😉

12 Georgie { 06.21.13 at 12:21 pm }

Anna, there is no ‘hate campaign’ going on and so far you’re the only person who’s used the word. I’m not sure what your agenda is, but I don’t think anyone else has one on Kelty.

I come to RR to express my opinions on reality shows and I’d like to feel free to do that within reason and without feeling like I’m walking on someone’s eggshells. It’s getting a bit like Faulty Towers – don’t mention Kelty.

I also think it’s time you got off Zhee’s case – remember we’re all family here and equally valued contributors.

Just saying too, I have always enjoyed your comments on this blog – you’re very knowledgable in a lot of areas and you ferret out some great links. :-)

13 Andrea { 06.21.13 at 12:52 pm }

Zhee@109, your description of the chocolates in Versailles had me salivating!
You sound very well travelled and knowledgeable, good on you.

14 Zhee { 06.21.13 at 1:13 pm }

Thanks Georgie, I think I have mentioned something which Anna did not like at all… Even though I never used a word like hate or anything else… Well, who cares…

Well travelled, don’t know. I suppose most of you are Aussies, so it might be more difficult and expensive to travel to Europe (for me it was a country at the end of the world – down under – full of sheep, more sheep than inhabitants first.^^) When we learnt something about Australia in school. My English teacher was a well-travelled man, I enjoyed his stories about the “Strines” a lot, the outback, his first bite of kangaroo meat, meeting Aboriginees, seeing the Sidney Opera House and the “G’day mate!”. He made dia shows from his trips and it was fantastic. It showed me that I have the opportunity to travel. Especially being European it is very easy as the borders are open nowadays. A lot of travelling occured when I was still in school (student exchange programs) and later on I decided to work in Ireland, but I did not like it that much. So I was able to snatch a transfer in my company and packed up my stuff to move to France. Never regretted it. As long as you do not have a family, it works fine. Kind of a modern Nomad I suppose.

15 Daze { 06.21.13 at 1:14 pm }

hear hear Georgie @112 there are annoying contestants but there’s no hatred going on and unfortunately with Michael gone (well, fortunately actually) we’re honing in on stubborn and childish Kelty. That’s all.

Zhee in Paree, so jealous of you living in France. Lucky duck. Just been watching and thoroughly enjoying Rachel Khoo little Paris kitchen – she simplifies French cooking and I cannot believe the dishes she makes with a camp hot plate and bread box oven – puts shame on me.

16 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 1:30 pm }

Totally agree that there is no hate campaign against Kelty or any contestants on MC or MKR.

Well said, Georgie. Just like some of us always having a go at George or MattP. No one said it is a hate campaign.

Keep posting, Zhee.

17 brain dead dave { 06.21.13 at 1:31 pm }

With Kan’t Kook Kelty hanging like a deluded, decomposing Albatross around this season of Ma$terchef, viewers are entitled to be express dismay and annoyance at these culinary criminals. Gary did warn us that these weren’t flash cooks and now the (undercooked) chickens are coming home to roost.

18 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 1:36 pm }

That is why they need to cook with recipes for the next challenge.

19 brain dead dave { 06.21.13 at 1:41 pm }

Kelty’s probably got a better chance of winning the Tour de France than Ma$terchef, because he goes downhill so quickly.

20 Eliza { 06.21.13 at 1:47 pm }

I don’t see any hate campaigns either. The reason why I have come to RR for so many years is because the majority of users on this site are able to form thoughtful and critical comments on shows. Everyone expresses their opinion most of the time in a way that isn’t slandering or obscenely offensive just for the sake of stirring trouble. At times when I have gone to the facebook sites of RTV shows, people often just make stupid and rude comments that are directed at contestants personally. Here, I find there is actually good discussion and a broad range of opinions and ideas. Generally everyone is really tolerant of everyone else’s views. There’s the odd flare up but that’s going to happen from time to time!

21 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 1:47 pm }

BDD, he may be fast downhill but he can’t control the bike. He will crashed round corners or land himself on some one porch like Voeckler :-)

22 Techhater { 06.21.13 at 2:35 pm }

Zhee welcome i’m enjoying your comments.

CB WHERE ARE YOU????????????? I miss you immensely.

23 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 2:49 pm }

I am missing CB too. Maybe no Karen Martini on MC and CB not watching MC.

24 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 2:52 pm }

Yessssss! I am missing CB and Layla.

Eliza, I was happy that you didn’t care that I don’t like Mel.

I liked when Izobel wasn’t scared to ‘own up’ to liking MC when everyone else was bagging it. Very alternate of her.
I like that we’re all different. And I like being able to freely comment on my likes and dislikes.
It’s a good gang here when we stay calm :).

But then who am I to say. I was pretty ‘whatever’ and had a laugh about lots of Golo’s comments. I could never decide if he was winding us up.
I like being able to say that I enjoy watching the Voice, Judge Judy and B&B without being sent to the naughty corner. He he.

“What we need is a great big melting pot”.
(Georgie, I know I am getting old because I keep reliving the seventies. Soon I will recall nothing but my early childhood)

25 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 2:56 pm }

Yes, where is Layla. She lives in Melbourne and she would enjoy this year MC

26 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 2:56 pm }

OMG Petal. Perhaps that’s what happened to CB. I told him to go for it and ask Karen out. Perhaps he did and got accepted. Now we’re just plebs to him. Boo hoo. How do I make sad face on the keyboard?
(You better not tell me if you don’t want me to use it a lot).

27 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 2:57 pm }

Daisy, to make sad face. Press colon and open bracket :(

28 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 2:58 pm }

Can someone check the back pages of NI to see if there is a shot of CB and Karen out on the town.

29 brain dead dave { 06.21.13 at 3:00 pm }

My recollection is along the lines that CB said a couple of weeks back that he’d wait until quite a few more amatas had been culled from Ma$terchef before watching it regularly. He lamented the waste of life that committing full time to Ma$terchef is. $hine have let him down, who can blame him? Come back soon, CB.

30 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 3:01 pm }

Thanks littlepetal.

31 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 3:02 pm }

Is one of the boy, CB?? Only joking

CB may like Christina. OOPs . forgot about Christina preferences.

32 Techhater { 06.21.13 at 3:03 pm }

Daisy Mrs Boner might have something to say if he’s run off with Ms Martini. :-S

33 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 3:04 pm }

Thanks BDD. Now I recall him saying that.
We might have a long wait if we don’t see some culinary talent.
But I’d like it if my theory was correct.

34 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 3:08 pm }

Ha ha Littlepetal.
TH, not sure. She might let him loose, in his dreams :).

35 Georgie { 06.21.13 at 3:12 pm }

Don’t worry Daisy, the 70’s is the best place to be stuck. I listen to music constantly and most of it is from that part of my life. I walk with earphones, sleep with earphones, eat breakfast with earphones and some days I put the pod in the stereo and dance my a*** off!

bdd said once on the blog, that he puts the music on and pretends the 70’s never ended.

36 LB { 06.21.13 at 3:18 pm }

Agree with everyone who has said that this is the place to come and, generally respectfully, discuss the shows we loathe or love. Like every family, there will be occasional spats, but everyone seems to be a grown up who gets over it quickly.

When I check RTV hashtags on Twitter, I am horrified by many of the comments made towards reality TV contestants, many of them made directly @ them so the contestants will see them. Regardless of whether you like contestants or not, they are still people and it must hurt dreadfully to have this level of vitriol directed at you.

Interestingly enough, the majority who make these comments are completely anonymous accounts. I use my real name on Twitter and whether there or here, which is slightly anonymous :) , I try to make sure that whatever I say is something I would feel quite comfortable to their face.

37 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 3:42 pm }

Georgie, You would enjoy when my friends come over. They were only born in the seventies and feel they missed out. They like seventies evrything. I play sixties and seventies and sometimes we bop. We also eat. I think they come for the food really.

LB; Good comment.

38 Socs { 06.21.13 at 4:50 pm }

@Andrea #98

It’s a late reply, but have you ever tried to torrent TV shows that you want to watch and is no longer on TV? That’s how the majority of the population watches shows that are on in the US and don’t have to wait for weeks for it to get here. Plus it’s ad free!

39 Andrea { 06.21.13 at 6:53 pm }

No I haven’t Socs, I’ve heard of that but not sure how to do it so I will ask my son who is a bit more tech savvy, thank you!

40 Zhee { 06.22.13 at 4:09 am }

@ Daze, I love Rachel Khoo, also bought her books. I need to get them signed but I always forget to ask her brother who was one of my bosses. Unfortunately I do not know her personally, but if she’s only half like her brother, she must be unbelievably adorable.^^

There’s also a Gordon Ramsay restaurant here in Versailles. But gosh, it is so expensive. :( I would love to go there but then a little voice says inside my head: Don’t spend so much money on your foooood! I already spend a lot, food is quite expensive (the living costs in France are quite high like rent etc), and I also stay away from cheap products (thanks daddy for teaching me not to buy cheap stuff *grrrr*).

41 LB { 06.22.13 at 4:31 am }