Guest Post: House Rules – The NSW Reno Continues

Another great recap from Annajjj. Thanks:

Still in Sydney and it’s all about girl power as Jane is the star of our show ta-night. We get Jane’s progress report to camera, Jane’s thoughts on global warming and lots of footage of Jane doing…. stuff.

Michelle and Kel’s house is still a shell and there aren’t even any external walls and straight off we are told the Greek boys have an impossible task. Everyone has an impossible task this week, why single out them?

Leighton and Reese are constructing the new deck at the same time as the old one comes off so they have a platform to work on. Safety is number one, says Leighton and someone’s obviously had a word in his ear since yesterday’s window incident.

Team Plinth inform us they have swapped roles – Plinth is going shopping and Jane is… ah… what is Jane doing? Well she has to frame up the windows and do the beam and really? This will be interesting. Plinth says that man or woman, he and Jane like to mix it up a bit and once again TMI mate. Aretha starts singing about Respect as Jane tries to carry wood and fails. She smacks herself in the face a few times with the planks then decides her time would be better spent helping out by sweeping. Oh please get the vacuum out Jane.

Over to Michelle and Kel who are feeding the birds and stressing about their kitchen. Hope they do a good job says Michelle, cos I did a good job in their houses. It’s sweet that you *cough* mood board *cough* think that.

Back to Jane who is busy directing her builder and how do we think that is panning out?

Reese is out shopping again and she finds a great table and some very cool wicker outdoor chairs. She admits that she sometimes doubts herself but not today! Birds nest hanging lights are in her sight and she’s going for it.

Plinth is also out shopping and, because he is Plinth, he is at the complete mercy of salespeople. This particular fridge model has wifi and it also has the entire Internet built into the freezer. Plinth doesn’t want to look stupid so he buys it.

Back at the house the kitchen tradie talks maths with Jane and she looks lost at first but then she realises the window is out by 10cm. They have written down the wrong measurements. Hmmmm Jane tells camera and then waits for someone else to sort out the issue.

Back from ad break and we are reminded that teams only have 3 days to go but it is television world and as Veronicali pointed out, 3 days is the TV equivalent of several weeks.

Sean tries to do a nice guy request and sorry we’re not buying it anymore Sean. Barry tells him he will have to pull down the wall for access himself and for once I’m on Barry’s side. Everyone is strapped for time and if you need something done you have to get active.

Jane hears Plinth’s name being mentioned and runs over because she really doesn’t have anything else to do. She cheerfully joins Barry in demolishing a wall which involves her swiping at a joist with her hammer then flinching a bit and this must be the most activity she’s done all year. Best go and have lie down now sweetie.

Baz has to build a staircase from scratch and he gets stuck in while Jemma has gone shopping and she picks out a lot of beachy Moroccan stuff. She’s the type of girl who loves spending but surprisingly is not that good at budgeting. She calls Barry who advises her to stick to the budget but she then proceeds to ignore his advice.

Seamy are building a 4 by 2 metre porch and Amy is still bouncing around being PPP but Sean seems a bit cranky. Has he worked out that his crown is slipping?

Chris(tine) is off shopping and again he is confirmed as the feminine side of the team. This manufactured comedy is a bit lame. He is looking at chandeliers and I have to agree with Meriden from last week – My ‘love’ ‘hate’ and ‘aggravation’ with the teams are in also perfect balance and tonight, for me, Chris is bringing sexy back.

On site there are still enormous piles of rubbish lying about outside so we are left in no doubt that this reno is still out of control.

Someone called Max makes a start on the boy’s bathroom and outside Jemma and Reece set up painting zones and get stuck in. Jane is still wandering around doing Sweet F.A. but thrilled with herself for working with the real workers. She seems to have slightly missed the point.

Everyone leaves for the night but the boys are busy (re)designing Morocco and it probably doesn’t look anything like that Chris. Even he admits it looks bad.

Next morning and everyone arrives on site and back across to the boys; they’ve worked out their design and you don’t get much more Moroccan than this, Nick tells us. Jemma has a quick look and tells camera it makes her happy because it is totally ugly.

R&L have to rebuild the deck from scratch and is that a pimple, nose stud or plaster on Reece’s nose?

Jemma is still painting and Barry is building the staircase. Jemma gets fed up with her painting work but Barry wants her to keep going. Jemma suggest they swap places. Barry looks horrified. They don’t have the same man, woman, anyone-will-do attitude of Jane and Plinth.

Chris and Nick’s tiles are going up in the bathroom and oh dear. That’s pretty awful; less Moroccan and more Playschool. They’ve run of blue tiles with the top left corner still to go but frankly that could be the least of their problems in this space. Where is McCrave? I really want her to see this.

Off to an ad break which includes Leighton and Reese peddling krill oil.

Back in the bathroom Nick tells us he was on the urge of saying he would give up but then had a brainwave to peel off the blue tiles behind the bath area. I’m liking Nick tonight too. Barry looks at the finished wall and says he likes the Mexican theme. Morroco/Mexico they are all interchangeable really.

Seamy have spent all their money on a useless cupboard bed and now they are short on funds for the design stuff. Amy goes to buy records from Renarto in Bondi. He thinks she is a music connoisseur rifling through his collection but it’s just the colour she is after. Black would be good. Do you have Spinal Tap’s Black album cos that would be perfect. Amy has the chance to buy an Olsen guitar for $50 but she checks with Finances and is told no. Real musos don’t appreciate being given second hand guitars.

Back to Team Plinth and measuring is not their strong point. Kitchens have to be accurate, Jane remarks, but we don’t do accurate. We do arty farty.

Chester is still on site and refusing to tag team with McCrave. This is his time to shine dammit. He comes to visit Plinth and Jane and tells them they are in trouble. So channelling McCrave then. Jane takes the appropriate course of action by stomping off and bursting into tears.

The Reese nose mystery is solved, it’s plaster, but I wish she would wipe it off, it’s making my nose itchy. Reese gets an honorary induction into Blokes World and is presented with her very own tool belt. She bleats and babbles and gabbles to camera and has anyone noticed Leighton’s pained fed-up look is back.

Chris asks Jemma’s advice for romantic and she helpfully tells him red, white and black because she is playing the game. Include some death metal posters if you can. The other women try to give him some real advice much to Jemma’s disgust. She tries one last time by telling him to include a splash of purple but then Nick comes out and tells Chris not to trust her. Chris heads off and thankfully the shop assistant is more helpful.

Back to Reese babble and Leighton has that look happening again. The patience is wearing thin.

Countdown to elimination and Voice Over asks who will be in danger. The accidental Mexican or Hawaiian theme teams or the team who leave their oversized fridge on the porch?

I’m off to see Bill Oddie tomorrow night so no recap (unless someone else wants to?). See you all on Tuesday for Reveal Recap.

1 Dianne { 06.24.13 at 5:57 pm }

Johanna Riggs was on the Daily Edition today and said one team would be eliminated tonight and by the end of the week there would only be two teams left.

2 Techhater { 06.24.13 at 6:20 pm }

Andrea and Dianne thanks for the info. I’m really loving this show and looking forward to tonight’s reveal. It will be missed if it’s the last week. But then finally The Mole might start. Like the GABO i’m tired of almost 10 months of promos and still no delivery of the goods. It’s even longer than waiting to have a baby.

3 Andrea { 06.24.13 at 6:29 pm }

The Mole is starting on the 2nd July 7.30, Wed 7.30 and Thursday 8pm, finally Techhater.
Hope its as good as the old series was.

4 Techhater { 06.24.13 at 6:58 pm }

Thanks Andrea looking forward to watching and commenting on it.

5 Rocky { 06.24.13 at 7:37 pm }

Thanks annajjj for the heads up on the brothers. I just cannot see how what we have seen so far of that bathroom will be enough to lift them out of the bottom. As bad as J&P seem to be doing, the brothers seem to be doing just as bad. So those two teams seem to be in a race to the bottom judging by their zones thus far.

I do hope all the hype for Leighton and Carly last week in the editing was just coincidence, and not trying to spin the competition in their favor. All the kiss, kiss, hug, hug of L&C and cut-ins of Carly smiling and babbling about how cooperative and perfect they suddenly are is suspect.

6 Gabby { 06.24.13 at 8:30 pm }

Thanks Andrea, I will miss this show, I really like it.

7 Techhater { 06.24.13 at 8:55 pm }

I wont give anything away but WOW what a really great twist.

8 LB { 06.24.13 at 9:07 pm }

TH, didn’t see that one coming at all – but it is a fantastic twist. Tonight’s ep was actually fast & exciting. So much better than the casual bitchiness on the slow paced TB. I watched that while waiting for HR to come on & became so peeved at the back-stabbing & outright lies.

9 Gabby { 06.24.13 at 9:07 pm }

I am really surprised that Michelle and Kell came 4th, I thought they would be down near the bottom. What about those arrogant brothers, not believing they were down the bottom with “the old people” he is so smug and smart arsed that older one, I hope they don’t win.

10 Techhater { 06.24.13 at 9:24 pm }

LB don’t say too much about TB i’m recording it later tonight. But yes it was a great ep tonight. I want to discuss it but don’t want to spoil it for others in SA & WA.

Gabby it’s the younger brother who’s the arrogant one (i forget which one’s which, the one with the earrings is the youngest 22.) Believe it or not. He treats his older who’s 5 years older like sh*t.

11 Gabby { 06.24.13 at 9:40 pm }

Sorry TH! I didn’t realise some other states were behind us, hope I haven’t said too much. So the big guy that does all the talking is the younger brother? I’m confused, but I know I don’t like him, he is so up himself and arrogant and I am glad he is not my son.
I have recorded TB and will watch it later, I much prefer HR though.

12 Andrea { 06.24.13 at 9:53 pm }

Those two are so arrogant Gabby, you are right, too bad it worked out the way it did!
I didn’t like those “morrocan” tiles at all but thought it was funny when Michelle said she hated orange, but she was wearing orange as she said it!
Should be an interesting show tomorrow night, I love the fast pace, that’s why it works for me and The Block doesn’t.

13 Gabby { 06.24.13 at 10:53 pm }

Those tiles were shocking Andrea. Can’t believe they couldn’t find any Moroccan tiles anywhere in Sydney. I don’t think they looked too hard. I’m glad they got a four. Brought them down a peg or two. Looking forward to tomorrow night and it will be interesting to see what rooms they all decide to change.

14 LB { 06.24.13 at 10:53 pm }

I was trying to be circumspect, TH, but bursting to discuss this ep – it was a cracker :)

15 Christina { 06.24.13 at 11:25 pm }

And she also said she liked the dining room wallpaper…which was orange and white!

LB I thought the Reno part was quite well paced…but like most shows the judging is sooo dragged out (I actually think a whole heap more than TB…but then I am not a fan of Johanna so it makes extra cringe worthy for me)!!

The boys might have more Reno experience but a lot of the judging comes down to design and understanding the “client” (house rules).

16 LB { 06.24.13 at 11:41 pm }

Christina, agree that reading of the scores is like pulling teeth, but I’ve come to expect that in RTV so I don’t get too worried about it. But then again, I do like Johanna. Just feel that she is really underutilised in the show. Then again, people who aren’t fans wouldn’t like it! :)

17 Eliza { 06.25.13 at 12:22 am }

Gabby – I was thinking that too about the tiles. They certainly would have been able to find something better.

Christina – Though the same thing re the wallpaper. Didn’t she notice it had orange all over it? haha

The brothers, well Nick in particular, as so full of it. As Christina said, a lot of it comes down to design and many weeks they just did what they would like! The show is called House Rules for a reason.. errr you should try follow them. Nick must be SOOO deluded to be wondering why they have scored so low a lot of the time.

I don’t want this show to finish! So if the GF is next Monday, then when are the gardens being done?? I am really confused. They must just be doing them this week after someone is eliminated on Tuesday night I take it. And there I was looking forward to another 5 weeks…

18 Daze { 06.25.13 at 10:16 am }

It looks like Carly will change her bedroom, gone is that dreadful wallpaper, curtains and bedhead and looks like she got a new king size bed and no doubt Michelle will change her bathroom.
Jane irritated me more than the boys simply because she never looked like she did any work. Not sorry she was eliminated.
So far looks like Ben and Leighton are the strongest contestants to win the finale but I’m not sure if I heard right, that they are going to have further eliminations during the week, then on Monday 1 July the winner will be announced of the 2 last standing teams?
Like you Eliza, I thought we’d have another 5 weeks of this show left, sob sob. No don’t go, HR lol

19 Littlepetal { 06.25.13 at 10:19 am }

HR is the highest rating show for Mon.

20 Daisy { 06.25.13 at 10:22 am }

I watched a bit of this last night and I can see why others might like it. But I still don’t like the decor. It looks cheesy, rushed and cheap. It might not be cheap but it looks it. Like those crappy apartments that get thrown together for the $$$ but then fall apart.

21 Daisy { 06.25.13 at 10:26 am }

Don’t get me wrong. Nothing wrong with cheap. Just make it simple, cosy and inviting rather than prostituting your house with decor that screams bogan.

22 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 10:36 am }

LB sorry I didn’t get back to you last night my phone froze and couldn’t get back online.

Well i’m pleased as punch with myself. I did say in jest the other week that there would be a round where they fixed up the stuff ups. But I was only joking didn’t think they would have to fix it up themselves. Lol.

I thought the cockatoo wallpaper was yellow and white.

23 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 10:53 am }

Daze and Eliza I too will miss this when it ends. I have really loved the pace of the show. Each week has been solid entertainment. Like Survivor there’s no need for endless backstories and each contestant’s personality is revealed as the show progressed. For want of better terms “villains” and “heroes” have evolved naturally. Which for me is great reality tv. Over this season my faves and non-faves have changed dramatically. There has been no need for producers to manipulate editing to create “drama” for them to get the ratings. I hope that they take notice of this and keep this winning format.

24 Daisy { 06.25.13 at 10:57 am }

OK TH You are very convincing. I will give it a go next year.

25 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 11:05 am }

Daisy HaHa I wasn’t very observant. I didn’t realise you weren’t watching it.:-P On a different topic. I finally caught up with last weeks Chinese dating show. I thought the Russian girl was really lovely.

26 LB { 06.25.13 at 11:11 am }

That’s no worries, TH – it was getting late & in any event, I got engrossed in the tennis.

Really interesting to watch how HR has grown in popularity over the weeks, but like others have said, am really going to miss it when it ends next week – waaah!

27 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 11:25 am }

LB I got so frustrated with my phone I ended up going to sleep and forgot all about the tennis. Oh well there’s always tonight. Lol.

I watched TB this morning and wasn’t overly impressed. I actually like T&J’s styling and I loved that Granny nook. I know someone else said it but a perfect place to settle with a good book. And can anyone explain to me how weird ugly dogs make great pieces of “art”. I guess that’s what goes with black bathrooms, concrete floors, walls, benchtops and old railway sleepers. Although I really did like M&K’s wall heater. That was really nice and makes sense if you happen to have a lack of space.

28 LB { 06.25.13 at 11:36 am }

TH, wasn’t that wall heater clever? Haven’t seen one of those before and really liked it. I didn’t really like their wooden feature wall – makes it limiting for changing the styling on that room and will date quickly to my mind.

29 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 11:53 am }

LB Wooden wall feature remind me of my raised garden beds Desi made out of old railway steepers.
I remember M&J got slammed by judges for having different timbers in master bedroom and WIR and yet there was so much different timber in M&K’s room and they were praised to the hilt for it. But it was obvious that no matter what, they HAD to win, whether they deserted it or not.

30 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 12:00 pm }

Oops *deserved* not deserted

31 Andrea { 06.25.13 at 12:37 pm }

If the HR contestants only have 24hrs to redo the room it would be madness to take on too much as they would run out of time.
I would just redecorate such as Carly and Leighton would probably want their bedroom redone with a king size bed and proper bedside tables.
Last night the judges said the hallway was too bland so that would be a good area to repaint, maybe add a mirror or something.

However I guess most contestants are looking for the wow factor for a good score so they might choose to do something a bit harder like a kitchen, hope they remember its only 24 hrs.

Daisy, I was like you, I hated these reno shows, but this one is fun and easy to get into . The decor might look a bit cheap and rushed but after the show finishes, they can change what they don’t like as after all, they are getting a much better house than the dumps they started with, and all for free!
They all win, so I wouldn’t be complaining about any of it, but just be grateful for whats been done as I’m sure they are.

32 Eliza { 06.25.13 at 1:04 pm }

Daisy – most of the design and styling hasn’t been to my taste either, but as the others have said, the fast paced nature of the show makes it fun and interesting. SO much more action than the block and less manipulation.

It’s a shame they only have 24 hrs. Reminds me of that horrible 24hr make over show. Ugghh that show kills me. Again, they will end up having to do another rush job. Anyway, that is the nature of this show for fast results. I am pretty sure I saw Michelle ripping off the tiles in the kitchen!!! Big task if they do that zone.. L&C’s bedroom was given away already. Sometimes the promos show too much, esp when I can pause it and have a good stare..

33 Andrea { 06.25.13 at 1:15 pm }

Eliza, did you mean that English show 6o minute make over?
That was about the only reno show I did like before HR because I thought it was amazing just how much could be done in 60 minutes.
I saw Michelle ripping off the kitchen tiles too, what is she thinking because she said she didn’t mind them but hated the Morroccan ones!
Christina, you are right, if Michelle hates orange, why did she like the orange wallpaper?

34 Eliza { 06.25.13 at 1:22 pm }

Yes, sorry.. 6o minute makeover! No offense intended, but I really don’t like it! They do get a lot done with so many people in the house though.

I think the kitchen would get the biggest wow factor moment if they can get it done. If they did the bathroom, wouldn’t they have to do their daughter’s bedroom too as that was a part of the same zone? Otherwise they would only be doing a partial zone make over. The judges didn’t mind the bathroom but weren’t fussed on the kitchen so that would get the better reaction from them.

35 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 1:53 pm }

Eliza I thought it was one room, but just rewatched end and you’re right it is zone.

I’m thinking C&L may be overall winners. Just saw an ad for No Idea and their saying a baby and a wedding. If anyone’s read the article would love the goss .

36 Andrea { 06.25.13 at 2:00 pm }

That’s what I was thinking Eliza, would they be doing just one room or a whole zone? It would seem an impossible task.
I suppose they only get 24 hrs for the gardens as well?
Also, why do you reckon the judges last night didn’t like the toilet?
I couldn’t see anything wrong with it, nice, neat and tidy with a cute little sink/basin.
I didn’t like that male judge’s pink pants either.

37 Andrea { 06.25.13 at 2:11 pm }

New Idea goss Techhater:
C&L want a small wedding, but not too soon as they want to start a family first as she wants the kids in the wedding!
Jemma and Ben are also wanting to start a family soon, they want three kids.
Apparently C&N are the resident pranksters, Chris is not real happy about the judging.
Amy and Sean planning a 2014 wedding and Steve has a hidden talent with his singing/songwriting and may release an album after HR is over.
Michelle’s hollering is the top noise complaint, other contestants have to block it out because it goes on and on!

Nothing exciting really, we already knew most of it.

38 Gabby { 06.25.13 at 2:13 pm }

I thought they only had to do a room, I didn’t realise it was a zone. That probably explains why Michelle left the bathroom then, her daughter loved her room so she decided to leave it, and as Eliza pointed out the judges liked the bathroom and disliked the kitchen, good thinking Eliza, and good thinking on Michelle’s part if she did think that way. If they can do a good job on that kitchen they could be in with a chance as usually the kitchens are the big winners, except when P and J do them. It will be interesting to see what other zones are chosen. I love this show, I don’t want it to end next week :(

39 Gabby { 06.25.13 at 2:22 pm }

Thanks for that Andrea. That wasn’t the magazine with the article about Lisa Kenny in it, was it? There is one out about her reason for trying to have a baby, I just wanted to hear what she had to say to justify herself for that one. I am sure it has nothing to do with Grant becoming a daddy again.

40 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 2:26 pm }

Andrea thank you for NI goss.

Not fussed on pink pants either.

Gabby i’m with you will miss this show but I do hope that next season they don’t try to extend it with irrelevant challenges, backstories and total crap.

Please let the producers leave it alone. It’s great just the way it is. No need to reinvent the wheel this time.

41 Daze { 06.25.13 at 2:40 pm }

Techhater; lol ‘the wheel’, had a great laugh. You said it in one.

If producers are reading this forum, you have hit gold so don’t mess with the formula (aka MKR dramatics) we love this show, the people, the pace.

BTW, in a mag it said Ms Burger is referred to as BOBN; Bearer of Bad News and that she raises an eyebrow if she’s not happy with a choice made but isn’t allowed to tell them anything, outright. Also in a separate article, different mag, she states that she suggested strongly to M&S to go with the pressed tin wall in A&S kitchen as she has one herself at home.

I didn’t realise the teams had to 24 hrs to re-do a whole zone – I thought it was just a room they didn’t like – that changes dynamics and I guess why M&S won’t change the dreaded moroccan bathroom tiles. Jane didn’t seem to flinch when a view of the pantry door not opening properly in M&S’s kitchen was shown, so am wondering how Steve will fix that when the show is over? Sell the fridge (could you buy a car with the proceeds) or somehow fix the pantry door to open fully?

42 Gabby { 06.25.13 at 2:42 pm }

You know TH they probably will, thinking they are making it bigger and better. I am with you and probably all the other viewers, I like it just the way it is. No bloody back stories and hardly any tears. Leave it alone please!

43 nanaliz { 06.25.13 at 2:51 pm }

I’m going to miss this show too. Please producers, remember, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ for next year. I think there are several reasons HR has hit a note with viewers.
1. Contestants are not bitching and conniving all the time.
2. Renos are more realistic, even if not a style you personally would choose.
3. Fast pace and actual renovating getting done.
4. No senseless challenges.

Perhaps they should have remembered this was what viewers liked about other seasons of MKR. The block has certainly gone down hill in ratings and likability in last couple of seasons.

44 Andrea { 06.25.13 at 2:56 pm }

Gabby, Lisa Curry just said in the New Idea ” that she will be using her own eggs as her and Joel want to see their own genes in the child but they thank everyone for offering to donate their eggs.
She is stunned by the tidal wave of positive and negative reactions but she has broad shoulders and can take it.
If her and Joel’s ages were reversed there would be no flak at all, and he would make a great dad, and they have total family support.”

Joel said “he’s disappointed with all the personal comments made about Lisa and she is a target because of who she is. Age is not a barrier to them and if they want to have a baby together they will do their best to make that happen.”
At least they have the money to keep trying IVF I suppose.

45 Daze { 06.25.13 at 3:12 pm }

Andrea re Lisa Curry, she seems to get a lot of flak because she goes public to mags all the time. Surely this is private between them and no one’s business (odd that the decision came on the back of Fifi having Grant’s baby where she also went public and on ACA with her thoughts on that too). Stay out of the press Lisa. That’s all.

46 Gabby { 06.25.13 at 3:59 pm }

Thanks Andrea for all of that. I am with you Daze, if they want to do it, do it private. Also funny how it happens on the back of Grant becoming a daddy. Lisa love the press, as you said, she had to comment on CA on GRANT and FIFI having a child. None of her business. Wonder how much she got paid for that?
Good night on the box tonight, have to decide what to tape and what to watch.