Masterchef Australia – A Killer Cake, A Meltdown And Two People Leaving?

This episode had it all a killer cake, a contestant flipping out and then a mysterious promo at the end where two Masterchef contestants are asked to retire next week.

Bernard Chu’s  showed Adriano Zumbo that there was a new king of cakes on Masterchef with a lolly bag cake that will see silicone mat’s flying off the shelves today like croquembouche tins did in season one.

Clarissa, Andrew and Christina were having to replicate this masterpiece in a pressure test after they were the three who were the last to finish in the egg white whipping “quick fire” challenge. Props goes to Liliana for getting her eggs ups first beating the boys in a physical challenge.

The three remaining had three and a half hours to cook it, which was one hour longer then it takes for Bernard to make the cake. But it was not long enough no one managed to do the sugar decoration for the top and they just all got the redskin glaze on.

Last week in an interview with Xavier he hinted that Clarissa was going to provide some drama, and she did. But you get the feeling we only saw a little bit of what was really going on behind the scenes.

Many fans of Masterchef Australia have been waiting for years for someone to tell the peanut gallery to shut up in challenges and last night Clarissa did that but only after she had been relying on them for assistance and chatting to them constantly. Which gave Andrew the opportunity to do his eye rolling at her and say I hope she is the one to go home. No love lost between that pair.

Clarissa decided she was not going to use a timer so with multiple elements on the go kept on looking up going “Did anyone notice when I put my thing on?”

Even Gary Mehigan and Bernard went over and tried to talk to her and Gary ended up saying “She won’t listen”.

She said “I did absorb it but I don’t know if I can change my way of thinking”

She was scatty and would not shut up and then she put her sugar in the spearmint mix. The meltdown began.

To redo it she needed more eggs and she walked over to Christina’s and was about to pinch some before she was told no.

Daniel said “If you keep whinging it is not going to get you anywhere” and she screamed at him “You come down and do it for three half hours and you see how you like it.”

After Jules trying to be supportive yelled out “this is doable”  and then she said “I am only listening to Rishi”. This  44 year old woman certainly is a diva, she must hvae got this from her opera singing days.

After Rishi did some quick mathematics he told her she only one egg short and to just cut down all the other ingredients she is putting in it. She followed his advice and then later Christina said do you need one more egg? At that point Clarissa pretends to throw a bowl at her.

Also someone yelled out “Clarissa” she did a “talk to the hand” signal.

In the end after advice from Richi she discarded the spearment layer. Her cake was always going to  be a disaster as her musk marshmallow did not set either.

However was she going to get lucky with as Andrew who had been tracking smoothly had stuffed up his spearmint layer. It set too hard and he had overdosed it with eucalyptus oil which then permeated through the whole cake. Andrew told the judges he wants to win Masterchef and they all nearly fell off their chairs. I like Andrew but I am not seeing any sign of a Masterchef winner there.

Matt Preston thought Clarissa’s tasted better, however it was no surprise she was the one sent home.

Christina also let it be known she was a contender by doing a near perfect replica of the inside of the cake and she must have known she was safe even though George tried to tell her it was a disaster. After her face fell he then told her he was joking that it was fantastic. In fact Matt Preston thought on a blind tasting it would have been difficult to tell which one was Bernard’s and which one was hers.

No one seemed that sad to see Clarissa go except for Kelty who thought she was a lot of fun. She is planning on starting cooking classes from home. It will be different cuisines and people can sit around the table and eat together. It could be fun in a Fawlty Towers kind of way.

What was interesting was the promo for next week where Gary Mehigan told the contestants that they were asking two of them to retire from the competition.

Now are two people being kicked off the show for a transgression? Or is Gary just playing with words and saying we are asking two of you to retire from the challenge? I have no idea. All I do know is in the interview with Michael last week he told me this won’t be the last time we see him on Masterchef, and Clarissa is not doing interviews today.

Masterchef Australia is really starting to fire and hopefully the viewers will start tuning in.

Masterchef Australia on TEN Sunday to Thursday nights at 7.30pm.

1 Ryan { 06.20.13 at 10:38 am }

Even though I think most of us are pretty glad that Clarissa is gone, that was probably the most entertaining episode so far, and almost entirely due to her ridiculous antics. Unless she’s delusional, I have no doubt she’ll be quite embarrassed with her behaviour on this episode alone.

2 Andrea { 06.20.13 at 10:54 am }

It was an entertaining show, Clarissa is such a diva, she wants everything her way.
Not listening to the judges was rude, trying to take the eggs were rude, and the talk to the hand signal was rude, thank goodness she’s gone, at least the other contestants won’t have to put up with her singing any more.
I’m dying to know why two people have to retire, very interesting.

3 Daisy { 06.20.13 at 10:54 am }

It was funny watching the others’ reactions to Clarissa, especially Andrew and Noelene’s.

Was Clarissa the first to tell the peanuts to shut up? Wags (Cameron) did it in MCP. Noelene was thinking it out loud last week.

4 Daisy { 06.20.13 at 10:57 am }

I agree with Ryan, I think it’s the first episode in which I didn’t vague out.
I didn’t see the expert make the cake but it looked sickly.

5 Joseph Skyrim { 06.20.13 at 11:06 am }

@Daisy #3 – Haha Wags was the first one who was direct, that’s for sure. :D

It’s mean but I’m glad Clarissa is gone. Half the time I was thinking, how on Earth did she get in there in the first place? By asking everyone else what to do? Egg thievery to the max. I also found the editing funny in that she stuffed up after she “sang”, proving it’s all over when the fat lady sings.

Hope Mike and Xavier get back in? As opposed to Mike & Clarissa! Though, if they are doing fair play Clarissa should be back too since she was the latest one eliminated. :P

6 Reality Raver { 06.20.13 at 11:08 am }

Joseph – do we even know if two of them are out? You know how they get tricky with the promos

7 Andrea { 06.20.13 at 11:09 am }

Yes Joseph, we didn’t see enough of Xavier so I hope he returns.

8 Jas { 06.20.13 at 11:09 am }

The odds are pointing to a couple of people returning. I tried to do a bit of a process of elimination by seeing who was in the promo but it was all a bit quick and I was balancing a bowl of ice cream.
Not doing interviews today is curious. I’m glad Daniel gave her a bit back and told her to stop whinging and to concentrate, sometimes people are just too polite.

9 Joseph Skyrim { 06.20.13 at 11:11 am }

No I’m easily fooled by promos RR, maybe they just get two people to sit out of cooking to be spruikers / because they had unfair advantage (speak Italian)? No idea. :P

10 Daisy { 06.20.13 at 11:12 am }

If they bring someone back, I vote Xavier. I hope he went home and practiced.

RR I didn’t buy the promo. Fool me once……

11 Morgan { 06.20.13 at 11:14 am }

I was very impressed with Christina last night, her cake looked near perfect. She may have proven herself to be a front runner with that performance. Thank god Clarissa is gone, Andrew’s may have tasted worse but he at least got all the layers into the cake so the elimination was definitely justified IMO.

I have to say though, Clarissa almost throwing a bowl at Christina after Christina asked Clarissa if she needed an extra egg is one of the funniest things I have seen on this show. The cooking standard may be at an all time low this season, but it’s at least an entertaining trainwreck to watch.

RR, regarding to what Michael said in his interview, I’m hoping when he said it won’t be the last we’ve seen of him he mean that he’s just coming back at the final masterclass where all of the contestants come back.

12 Daisy { 06.20.13 at 11:15 am }

They could be bringing Clarissa back just to sing the contestants on from the peanut gallery. What a meltdown the contestants would have. It would enjoy watching that.

13 Anna { 06.20.13 at 11:31 am }

There is always a chance that 2 real masterchef contestants who can cook will enter the competition

Why do people have to go? Not buying into the MC promo crap

14 Dianne { 06.20.13 at 11:43 am }

Hi all
Did anyone else notice the continuity issue with Christina making her solo comments about the challenge wearing no red nail polish but wearing red nail polish during the challenge. I wonder how long after the challenge they film the comments to camera? Small issue I know. Cheers.

15 Daisy { 06.20.13 at 11:45 am }

Dianna, good eagle eyes.

16 brain dead dave { 06.20.13 at 11:58 am }

Clarissa. Why bother interviewing her at all, and risk having your ears dumped in with that awful caterwauling?

A cake with even one layer would be too much for her.

17 Reality Raver { 06.20.13 at 12:18 pm }

Just looked at promo again and they definitely say two will be asked from the competition and there were gasps.

18 brain dead dave { 06.20.13 at 12:24 pm }

It’s been discovered that two contestants can cook.

Just a rumour, though,gice.

19 LB { 06.20.13 at 12:31 pm }

Am getting to like Andrew more & more with his eye rolling & borderline bitchy comments. His cooking is dubious, but he is amusing.

Pity that Clarissa isn’t doing any interviews – that would be one hell of an exit interview. Her rudeness to others was unbelievable. Couldn’t imagine that any adult in her life putting up with being treated like that. Don’t put it down to being an opera diva – if she behaved like that in any opera company she would be out on her backside in no time flat.

Was good to see Christina win (although there was no doubt). We got to know her a bit more and it seems as though she can cook & is quite a fun person.

20 Georgie { 06.20.13 at 12:37 pm }

Lol bdd – so they’ve been asked to retire from the competition!

21 Rosie { 06.20.13 at 12:42 pm }

Thank Christ Clarissa has gone! And I thought her endy thing said she was going to be TAKING cooking lessons at first. Just as I was thinking “good idea” I realised it said she was going to GIVE cooking lessons. Uh…

Roll on next week. Who will be asked to leave and why? Fascinating.

22 brain dead dave { 06.20.13 at 12:43 pm }

Clarissa had to retire from Opera singing because of a sore jaw.

One of her co singers broke it for her.

Difficult as it would be to do, would $hine have “gagged” her from interviews because she’s such a loose cannon?

23 Techhater { 06.20.13 at 12:44 pm }

RR yes it’s definitely “retire from the competition”

I can’t get the Dubai promo up but there maybe a clue in that.

Poor Kelty who would’ve thought him and Clarissa were buddies. Perhaps he wont have to wait too long and he can have his BFF back.

24 dowecare { 06.20.13 at 12:57 pm }

another MC… Master Crap episode, when the marjority of these wannabe cant boil water how on earth were they expecited to recreate that cake…… was never going to happen whilst I was happy to see christine do well she is one of the few that shows promise, i noted at the end that clarissa is going to teach cooking at her home,,,,,,,,, still laughing about that, she is one delusional woman….

25 Reality Raver { 06.20.13 at 1:10 pm }

Here is the link to the lolly cake recipe http://www.masterchef.com.au/recipes/lolly-bag-cake.htm looks really complicated but would love a piece of one.

26 Anna { 06.20.13 at 1:15 pm }

Emma, wonder if 2 being asked to exit is similar to MKR ‘ cheating!!! anything to confess?’ crap line

That cake is very expensive to make, not to mention time consuming

Coles will start stocking all the ingredients for the cake? LOL

27 Littlepetal { 06.20.13 at 1:33 pm }

Sun challenge has 4 teams. We currently have 18 contestants left. Maybe 2 to sit out so we can have 4 teams of 4?

Also look like Mon night challenge have everyone cooking and the person with the worst dish will be eliminated.

So you think we will have 17 contestants left for Tue episode but TV mentioned 18 remaining contestants. So is the TV guide wrong or they did bring back 3 contestants?

28 EmTee { 06.20.13 at 1:59 pm }

Can’t say I’m sorry to see Clarissa go as she did come across as an irritating person and somewhat frustrating to watch. As to what extent this was exaggerated by the ‘wonders’ of editting, only the people who actually know her would really know.

In a way I do feel really sorry for her and other contestants who are portrayed (especially if unfairly) in such a negative light. It’s quite possible she isn’t giving interviews for fear of exposing herself to further ridicule.

29 Become @Tester Giordana, a success { 06.20.13 at 2:39 pm }

[...] Masterchef Australia – A Killer Cake, A Meltdown And Two People … [...]

30 Reality Raver { 06.20.13 at 2:41 pm }

Little Petal – it could be the case but it would be strange that they set up a challenge where all 18 could not be in it. Unless there is some twist we can’t think of. Maybe they have to oversight the two teams. But the promo did say we will say goodbye in Italian to two people. But in a sense there was no beat up which they would normally do in this situation. Nothing on main stream media sites who are normally on this sort of thing unles they don’t consider MC news anymore.

Anna – you reckon I would be better just to swirl some freckles through a cake mix?

31 Anna { 06.20.13 at 3:10 pm }

RR, absolutely :-)

I had a read of the ingredients and some aren’t readily available here unless you work in the industry. Some are obscenely expensive

Cannot wait for people to start bitching about the cake, then there is eucalyptis oil. I know the recipe calls for the edible kind, wonder how many will go and buy any eucalyptis oil LOL

32 Littlepetal { 06.20.13 at 3:17 pm }

RR, I got it wrong with the number of teams in Sun challenge. Based on the TV guide, it is 4 teams. Based on the promo shown at the end of last night episode, I saw 6 teams of three but there were 2 teams with the blue aprons.

One group with Vern, Nicky and Totem. The other group with Jules, Kelty and Rishi.

When they were cooking, I can see Vern, Kelty, Nicky in the blue aprons. Could be Jules, Totem or Rishi leaving?? Only guessing

33 Eliza { 06.20.13 at 3:44 pm }

Well that promo has certainly done its job in getting us talking and speculating! They can be quite deceiving with the way they word and edit things so I’m hoping this is the case. I feel as though there would have been some chatter in the media already if people were getting kicked off.. Unless the media really don’t care anymore!! Remember what happend with Matt (I think it was) for having a mobile phone. There was more drama surrounding that. I think it would be strange if they did devise a challenge where not everyone could compete.. Damn you Masterchef for leaving us guessing like this!

The cake last night looked yum. Christina did a great job.. Maybe she can actually cook and has skill! Glad Clarissa is gone.. Imagine if that bowl slipped out of get hand! She seems awfully unstable emotionally and she was really rude.

34 Joseph Skyrim { 06.20.13 at 3:47 pm }

Can’t be Jules, I saw her in one of the promos wearing a black t-shirt/apron(?) at the MC Kitchen and I can’t recall her being in an elimination round there yet. Maybe my fool head is playing tricks with me though.

35 Carole { 06.20.13 at 6:01 pm }

Yeah, the only eucalyptus oil I know of is the one you use when you have a cold. I thought, surely they are not using that. The cake looked yummy, would definitely like to give it a go, but I will allow myself about 10 hrs, not 3 like that had. And I would leave that fancy sugar stuff off the top too.

Christina’s cake was excellent, it wasn’t surprising she won. I thought Andrew had it in the bag too, till he mucked up that layer that split, then the topping ran everywhere. Clarissa’s was a disaster. How many times did they say to read the recipe and follow it. So she doesn’t use a timer, when she is doing all these complicated layers. Then she fucks up because she sang that stupid opera. When she needed another egg, she should have asked Cristina nicely, not just take it, that’s just rude. Then yells at the others at the top who were only trying to help her.

When the judges told Christina her cake was a disaster and asked where the sugar was, I wanted to slap them. I thought, well none of the others had done it either. The poor thing, I felt so sorry for her, she was stressed enough, she didn’t need that.

Been burnt before with their misleading promos, so will believe it when I see it. If they are kicked off, wonder what they did. As the last person eliminated, Clarissa could be brought back, which may be why she isn’t doing interviews. Don’t think they can just not do them, they are usually under contract to do media after leaving.

Seeing how some of these cooks are, don’t know how they’re going to cope cooking Zumbo’s or Heston Blumenthul’s recipes. Don’t know how to spell their names.

36 Anna { 06.20.13 at 6:04 pm }

Carol, get ready to go to specialty shops and spend big…. shop where Chef’s shop

37 Anna { 06.20.13 at 6:29 pm }

For the people who want to make this cake, prices so far: $145

White Couveture Chocolate 1kg$25
Milk Couveture Chocolate 1kg$25
gold gelatine leaf $14
pailleté feuilletine $14
isomalt crystals $17
invert sugar $5
popping candy $33
Green Colour (Apple) Powder $11
Red Food Powder Colouring $3

I just scratched the surface….

38 Carole { 06.20.13 at 6:38 pm }

Oh, ok on second thoughts, I’ll wait till I win Lotto and make it then.

39 Anna { 06.20.13 at 6:56 pm }
40 Daze { 06.20.13 at 7:05 pm }

blooming hell Blumenthal and Zumbo now add a new gun Bernard Chu to the list of these gorgeous and difficult cakes. I hope I never have to lay eyes on Cowlissa again. Such an ugly character – she stated she didn’t need a timer when Jules suggested she use one? Must be wonderful to be so perfect. After thanking the judges she walked straight past Christina to the group (unless it was edited out) but I thought that was sour grapes and uncalled for. You could basically tell no one in the peanut gallery liked her or wanted to help, especially with the Talk to the Hand gesture. Yuk and good riddance.

Don’t want to start something, but I read there was a surprise walk-out so my guru’s at TV week said, hmmm? Someone’s leaking little stories it seems to the media.

41 Littlepetal { 06.20.13 at 9:37 pm }

@32 – I was wrong. Kelty, Rishi and Jules were in dark purple aprons at the start of the promo but Kelty was in blue apron during cooking.

Daze-Please share your goss

42 Em18 { 06.20.13 at 9:47 pm }

Was not sorry at all to see Clarissa go last night, what an unstable mental whack she turned out to be. If she would just stop singing for five minutes and actually concentrate on cooking – what she entered MC to do in the first place – then maybe she’d still be there. I could have kissed Daniel for telling her to stop whinging, someone needed to say it!

43 Littlepetal { 06.20.13 at 11:15 pm }

The numbers doesn’t add up. I read that there will be 2 eliminations next week and Top 15 will be revealed by end of next week.
We still have 18 contestants left and with 2 eliminations will bring it down to 16. So may be 2 contestants left and 1 brought back to make it 17 contestants.

44 Eliza { 06.21.13 at 12:53 am }

The suspense is killing me.. FIREBALL!

I would just hope like everyone else that it wouldn’t be Clarissa that is brought back. I wonder who would walk out? Kelty gets over being the whipping boy and trying to prove to everyone that HE CAN DOOO IT! It would be weird though if they wanted to leave to be told to ‘retire from the competition’.

I will laugh if this has got us all riled up over nothing!

45 daisy { 06.21.13 at 1:28 am }

I often use eucalyptus oil for cleaning. I like the smell.
I don’t mind it in a lozenge.
That cake looked too sweet.

46 Alec C { 06.21.13 at 3:39 am }

Past quad team events had uneven team #s 5-5-4-4 (4-4-3-3) ect – unless 2 people are thrown out due to cheating (these lot need ALL of the help they can so turning blind eye best solution for viewers).

Micheal back Micheal Scott – NOOOOOOOOOO! ffs get The Office’s(us) Toby instead of Micheal.

Opera singer sang her swan song already – Xavier over her if there are replacements!

Plz Plz let the bottom teams enter 2X elimination for this multi team event.

47 Zhee { 06.21.13 at 6:09 am }

Oi, finally a really entertaining episode. I think there has never been a contestant on MCA who annoyed me as much as Clarissa. She did not even provide good reality TV. :( Today was really a good riddance and I hope she won’t return. She’s unlikable, not funny, shows behaviour which is definitely no normal (esp when children can watch the show).
Christina was awesome and she’s the first one from season 5 I start to like. She’s cute, nice comments and a breath of fresh air. I hope she won’t leave too soon (or dear producers, make her win!).

The cake, wow, it reminded me of bubble gum I had as a child (Hubba Bubba). Way too sweet and it makes your teeth hurts when you eat it.^^ I like the simple decor but it will never reach Zumbo’s white chocolate cake (it was soooooooooooooo pretty).

48 Daze { 06.21.13 at 9:47 am }

Littlepetal @41, to quote in part page 15 re Exit : “this week, a contestant will leave in a shock exit. While we can’t give away who leaves or how, it’s a move no one could have predicted. MC has seen plenty of spontaneous exits in previous seasons, but this kitchen walkout is set to change the game in a big way”. I think there has been a ‘walkout’ each season for family or business reasons, wonder who it could be this season?

49 Georgie { 06.21.13 at 10:01 am }

My guess is Kelty chucks a wobbler. He seems a bit unstable, although not as bad as Clarissa was. If they were unpopular in the group due to being a tad ‘precious’ and were propping one another up, he would feel totally isloated now.

50 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 10:03 am }

Thanks, Daze. One contestant leaving make sense. We start next wi with 18 contestants, one leave, 2 eliminated and we will have the Top 15 by end of next week.

I know it is not Kelty as he is seen cooking in the challenge.

51 Georgie { 06.21.13 at 10:06 am }

Bin that theory then. :-D

52 Daze { 06.21.13 at 10:18 am }

Georgie @51, lol. I thought it would be Kelty too. You’ve got good eyes Littlepetal, as I didn’t see Kelty in cooking challenge preview – do you have any theories who the walkout may be? Noelene? Daniel, Nicky?

53 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 10:18 am }

Sorry, Georgie. I think Kelty will get to Top 5 or 6. Just to torture me slowly. :)

54 Daze { 06.21.13 at 10:22 am }

Noooooooo don’t say that Littlepetal lol
He tortures Australia

BTW, am liking Andrew but he won’t make it to top 5.
Rishi Totem Vern seem like they’ll make it near the top numbers.

55 Georgie { 06.21.13 at 10:26 am }

Kelty – “killing me softly, with his c o o k i n g”. (Roberta Flack)

56 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 10:39 am }

I am going to have to focus next time MC is on, especially to see what Kelty has been doing to rub Littlepetal up the wrong way.

I agree with whoever said they like Andrew’s manner (sorry I have forgotten who said it). It’s very dry.

This bringing contestants back could work at the Olympics. Or the AFL. But if they do I think they’ll pick Zavier. They seemed genuinely sorry to have to boot him.

57 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 10:47 am }

Saw green team in the challenge. Only saw 3 of them: Emma, Fauzia and Daniel.

Nicky, Vern and Kelty was in the challenge too.

Totem, Pip and Lucy were seen in the pizza challenge.

58 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 10:55 am }

Andrew is quite funny.

Daisy, there are other people who rub me up in the wrong way !!! :)

Kelty just too intense. Loosen up, man. No hate campaign here. I don’t hate him.

59 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 11:00 am }

Watch the promo again. Gary didn’t say 2 persons need to retire from the competition. He just said ‘need to retire from the competition’. The 2 keys players mentioned was when Antonio was holding 2 sticks or pieces of paper in his hand.

60 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 11:24 am }

Littlepetal you are just like a silk carpet. Rub this way.
Ha ha.

61 Eric { 06.21.13 at 4:23 pm }

OK, there are some clues in the promo — I took snapshots at two instants in time. In the first snapshot, before the retirement bit is announce, we see (ordered by apron color):

Green — Lynton, Emma, Daniel
Yellow — Faiza, Andrew, Noelene
Blue — Totem, Vern, Nicky
Grey (or Light Purple?) — Pip, Neha, Lucy
Red — Samira, Christina, Liliana
Dark Blue — Kelty, Jules, Rishi

So, 6 teams of 3.

Then, after the retirement statement is made, we see another screenshot with 14 contestants, in the following aprons:

Green — Lynton, Emma, Daniel, Faiza
Blue — Nicky, Vern (maybe one more in the background…can’t tell)
Grey or Light Purple — Pip, Lucy, Neha, Rishi
Red — Samira, Christina, Liliana, Noelene

Thus 4 teams of what looks like 4 contestants, although the blue team only has 2 contestants visible.

The missing contestants are Kelty, Andrew, Totem and Jules. However, we see subsequent shots of Kelty cooking, so I guess one or two of Andrew, Totem and Jules will be gone.

62 nikki (@suburp) { 06.21.13 at 4:31 pm }

I thought Clarissa was incredibly annoying and am glad she is out. I mean who breaks into an opera aria when stressed in the kitchen ?! I don’t think she has picked up her diva ways in the music industry – it would be one of the reasons she never really made it there.

63 Eric { 06.21.13 at 4:31 pm }

Watching it again, I’m pretty sure I see Totem in the background, so it must be Andrew and/or Jules who go.

64 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 4:55 pm }

I think, maybe, if I was an MC contestant I might have been happy for Clarissa to be singing and running around like a mad woman. I’d be thinking, “No competition there. One less to compete against.”

As long as she didn’t mess with my ingredients and then I would channel my inner Sarah (MCP).

65 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 5:07 pm }

Eric @61

Kelty is in the blue team and Totem also in the blue team as he is seen in the pizza challenge.

I didn’t see Rishi in the Light purple/grey team. Maybe eyesight not so good.

Agree with you that Andrew or Jules leaving but I thought Jules was seen in the promo where they will be going to WA and Dubai.

66 Socs { 06.21.13 at 5:25 pm }

Jesus, Valrhona chocolate cost more than an arm and a leg. The last time I bought a 100g bar it cost me around $7!

Am annoyed that I missed out on this ep to watch the terrible Socceroos game. Will have to catch the replays tomorrow just to see Clarissa’s enormous wobbly! Are we sure she’s in her 40s and not 4? Reminds me of some of my patients at the hospital when you try to get them to do things!

67 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 5:45 pm }

Don’t forget the Chinese mathchmaking show on SBS2 at 8.30 and Celeb Rehab those who watch these shows.

68 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 5:46 pm }

Oh and BTM is on tonight I think.

69 Littlepetal { 06.21.13 at 5:56 pm }

Thanks Daisy for reminding me about the Chinese speed dating show.

70 Techhater { 06.21.13 at 6:04 pm }

Daisy I just reminded you of these on another thread. Sorry for the duplication.

71 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 6:18 pm }

SNAP. Great minds think alike.
But so do silly ones. Ha ha.

72 Daisy { 06.21.13 at 6:21 pm }

I loved BDD’s summary of If You are the One last week: “Brutal”.
That says it perfectly.

73 Carole { 06.23.13 at 7:10 am }

Just read an interesting article in the paper. Andrew has an injury on his leg and will be leaving tonight. And another contestant has an injury, but they are not saying who, and will sit out tonights challenge and go into tomorrow nights elimination. So that could be the 2 that they are talking about. They’ve had contestants sit out before if they haven’t been well, but I can’t remember them going into elimination because of it. That doesn’t seem fair.

74 Littlepetal { 06.23.13 at 8:22 am }

So our guess is right about Andrew. The other one is Jules and it could be an all girls elimination on Mon night.

75 Littlepetal { 06.23.13 at 8:27 am }
76 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 9:11 am }

Lol –
“I had an MRI and the results were that I had bilateral stress fractures (both knees).”

“They (MasterChef producers) made the decision that it wasn’t beneficial for me to continue on.”

Umm, beneficial for whom – yeah I know, Shine right!

If physical fitness is an issue for contestants, the producers need to make sure that’s covered in the application process instead of putting so much emphasis on back stories.

Thanks Carole and Littlepetal. It looks like another media slip taking the ‘shine’ off MC. Ch10 must be overjoyed with this publicity – not!

77 Andrea { 06.23.13 at 9:19 am }

Carole, thanks for solving the mystery. I didn’t mind Andrew and would have preferred one of the others going over him.
All the physical running around as if its The Amazing Race is pointless, its better when the contestants are JUST COOKING.

78 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 9:54 am }

I think my previous comment may have sounded like I had no sympathy for Andrew which is not so. In any event, I feel the need to clarify a few things.

Andrew was on my list of those I liked and it’s really sad for him to have this happen – anytime. I believe it’s really irresponsible of Shine to expect contestants to run and leap and carry on for some artificial ‘wow factor’ and not take these requirements into account when they recruit. The same as expecting them to open oysters, fillet fish and peel prawns in a race and without protective gear.

Shine should be held accountable for serious injuries like this because they have failed in their duty of care and I hope someone sues their socks off.

79 Littlepetal { 06.23.13 at 10:08 am }

I also noticed there are more cut fingers this season. When this year contestants are not as competent, giving them limited time to cook will be a disaster.

80 Carole { 06.23.13 at 11:32 am }

No worries everyone, and thanks Littlepetal for providing the link. When Matt, I think it was, got eliminated a few years back for having a phone, Matt Preston actually let it slip on Facebook, but quickly removed it when he realised what he had done.

I agree Georgie, it’s not Survivor or The Amazing Race. They shouldn’t be expected to run and jump around. Plus they should be given protective gear like you say peeling prawns and shucking oysters. I done a few courses where they cover OH & S in the work place and they break all the rules. They have a duty of care for the contestants and should not be putting them in danger.

81 Eliza { 06.23.13 at 11:33 am }

Lots more blue band aids going into food this year for sure. Thanks for the info guys.

82 brain dead dave { 06.23.13 at 12:59 pm }

I’m still not over the buff amata removing fish from a hot pan …by hand.

Beats me why $hine have always allowed amatas running hither and thither through the Ma$terchef kitchin and pantry wonderlands.

Why let amatas who haven’t used pressure cookers use them?

If I want to see contestants injure themselves, $hine, there’s already Ninja Warrior and Black Gold for me. It’s time to lift.

Hats off to the sleuths who have released the cat from $hine’s bag of mediocre promo tricks.

83 daisy { 06.23.13 at 1:25 pm }

Carole &Georgie, from the time they had Amina’s season chasing all over the place in a car rally, looking for ingredients, I thought, “Crap. They have crossed over into AR”. As much as I enjoy AR, when I watch MC I want to see great and inventive cooking, and realistic challenges.

Let’s see. Have they done
MC x TBL
MC x Marry My Boy.
MC x Survivor
MC x Celebrity Rehab
MC x SYTYCD ?

84 daisy { 06.23.13 at 1:27 pm }

Or MC x Iron Chef?
Oh no , that wouldn’t work at all, would it !

85 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 1:37 pm }

MC x TBL is a given Daisy and there’s three of them.

86 daisy { 06.23.13 at 1:51 pm }

I thought that would get your creative juices going, Georgie.

87 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 2:19 pm }

Don’t forget BB too Daisy. Andrea likened the opening scenes at MC house this year to episodes of BB.

88 daisy { 06.23.13 at 2:34 pm }

Sorry for mentioning juices Georgie. I still haven’t got that image out of my head from the other night. Very unhygeinic.
I hope Izobel, Elise and Stacey didn’t see it. They’ll think that’s how we spent our youth.

89 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 2:45 pm }

They weren’t creative juices though Daisy, they were procreative juices.

I kept thinking about the smell for some reason – it would have been horrific on a busy night!

90 daisy { 06.23.13 at 2:48 pm }

LOL! Georgie. I couldn’t get the image of the multiple fountains the girl said were at the end of the pool out of my head. And that she went home with crabs. Not sexy at all!

91 daisy { 06.23.13 at 2:55 pm }

BTW Benidorm Bastards is from Belgium.
It’s oldies pranking young people by reinforcing the idea that their all mad. So you might see a beautiful fountain with young people sitting around enjoying the sun, and in the midst a couple of 80 yr olds getting hot and heavy The faces are priceless.

92 Techhater { 06.23.13 at 2:55 pm }

Ewwwwwww:-Pthe images you guys have presented over the last 2 days. My word. LOL The 70′S for me was flares, platforms and lots of great music. Groovy man!

93 Techhater { 06.23.13 at 3:03 pm }

Daisy Benidorm Bastards is an absolute crackup. BDD put me onto this one some months ago.

For those who missed If You Are The One. It’s repeated today at 3pm on SBS2

94 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:05 pm }

TH. You are lucky you missed it.
Embroidered cheese cloth and mirrors from India, embroidered silk chiffon and pretty embroidered silk chiffon peasant blouses from Romania. Great music. Fun times at the beach. Having bfs, ( one at a time), partying. Getting stoned. And sometimes throwing up after too many scotch and cokes. Now that’s more like it.

95 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:09 pm }

TH, Tha Amazing Pony Man might put you off anything equestrian.

96 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 3:14 pm }

That swimming pool welcome conjured up images a guard of honour with crossed swords a la bukkake. She thought it was magical?

97 Techhater { 06.23.13 at 3:15 pm }

Daisy SNAP You’re wearing my wardrobe. HaHa Keep talking the memory’s a bit frayed, too much whacky tobaccy Methinks. :-S
And yes after yesterday the last thing I want is to be put off all things equestrian. Lol

98 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:20 pm }

Georgie, magical, until she started scratching and discovered the rash.
How could anyone think the cream fountain guard of honour was magical? Dirty pigs.
Your not even supposed to wee in a pool.

99 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 3:27 pm }

Daisy, the pool could be described as a ‘pee souper’. :-D

100 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:33 pm }

I hope we’re not ruining people’s appetites. This is a cooking site afterall. Let’s hope pea soup, or cream of onion aren’t on the MC menu tonight.

101 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:36 pm }

Just be careful anyone who thinks they’re tuning in to SBS to hear some nice ‘swing’.

102 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 3:41 pm }

Lol Daisy, you’re funny.

103 brain dead dave { 06.23.13 at 3:48 pm }

Sorry gice , I went to the wrong topic, wrong thread.

Like expecting Count Basie and getting Count Ballsy instead. There was no band, but everyone was swingin’

104 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:48 pm }

Thanks Georgie.
But on a serious note, now that I think of it, I think some of the ‘oldies’, ie parents in the neighbourhood were ‘sharing’. I think it came from watching too much Peyton Place and Love Boat.
They thought they were still hot and we thought they were old and gross. In fact, they were only in their 30s.

105 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:52 pm }

LOL Dave.
I am thinking bisque.
You never know if they might leave the MC kitchen with a rash.

106 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:53 pm }

Bacon rashes.

107 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 3:58 pm }

The sultans of swing
Twisting by the pool
Doing the walk of life

I reckon Mark Knopfler might have been there getting inspirated!

108 daisy { 06.23.13 at 4:00 pm }

Now we have taken MC to a dark place. MC up late.

109 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 4:07 pm }

A dark place like that pantry the other night?

110 daisy { 06.23.13 at 4:25 pm }

I’m expecting MC to go viral.

111 BakerBoy { 06.23.13 at 5:43 pm }

That cake does not look too hard to make. It just requires a bit of time and focus. As far as the ingredients go, a number of the more unique ingredients that are listed can be substituted very easily for more day to day ingredients:

Gold Gelatine Leaf: I have never worked with gelatine leaves. I always use powdered gelatine. I would use 1/2 teaspoon of powdered gelatine for each gold leaf gelatine used. I always add a pinch more for good luck in everything that I do. I have never had a problem with this ratio or substitution.

Powdered Colouring: Once again, I have never used powdered colouring. I only ever use the liquid. If the clour does not look defined enough…add a bit more.

Hazelnut Paste: If you can’t get this, I would use nutella, plus add some ground hazlnut meal to it to reduce the sweetness of the nutella. If it is too thick, just add a bit of milk or water.

Paillete Feuilletine: If you can’t source this, you have a number of options. The best one is to find a recipe for tuile batter, spread it thinly over the bottom of an oven tray, bake for a short period of time until it hardens, let it cool, then crush up and use in the recipe. Alternatively, you could buy Arnotts Wafer biscuits (vanilla or choc flavour) and crush them up.

Murray River Pink Salt: Just use ordinary table salt. There is zero diffrence in flavour. There may be a slight difference in texture given that the pink salt crystals add a bit of crunch, though that is not something that would worry me. The Pailette Feuilletines already add that, plus the praline addition later on adds more, so it wont be missed.

Valrhona Opalys: Just use white chocolate. The VO are smoother overall, but I suspect that their silkiness will be lost in the mix of this cake anyway, so dont stress if you can’t find them.

Invert Sugar: I am not quite sure why the creator of this cake has specifically added invert sugar plus castor sugar into the recipe? regardless, inverst sugar is just equal parts of fructose & glucose that has been chemically obtained through the inversion of sucrose. I would follow the recipe for invert sugar in this instance, though if I could not source it, then use 1/2 glucose and 1/2 fructose, though you may have trouble sourcing these ingredients too?

If I cant find them, I will let you know how the cake turns out without the invert sugar after I have made it. I will simply add more caster sugar if I can’t find Invert Sugar.

** With regard to the show itself, I was really impressed that MC sent Clarissa home. I did not expect that on the basis that she created conflict and a big talking point by the viewers. I thought for sure that Ch10 would let Andrew go and keep here, even though on merit, Clarissa should be the one to go.
Good to see Ch10 play it straight this time.

** It took a while for me to warm to a favourite, but I finally got there. My favourites are Nicky and Rishi.

I agree with everybody here that up until the Lolly Bag Cake, the show has been a bit ho-hum, with very poor cooking skills on display.

I can’t say that I am really liking Jules, Emma, or Lucy.

112 daisy { 06.23.13 at 5:44 pm }

Yay, Bakerboy, good to hear from you.

113 Littlepetal { 06.23.13 at 5:52 pm }

Bakerboy, please make your 7 layered cake and let us know how it turn out.

114 Edward { 03.11.14 at 2:06 am }

You probably miss her because she isn’t around anymore.
Greys Anatomy (Overdose Patient) The paramedics,
with no form of identification, rush Aaron into the hospital.

How is this bad habit or group of bad habits affecting
you.