Masterchef Australia – A Killer Cake, A Meltdown And Two People Leaving?

This episode had it all a killer cake, a contestant flipping out and then a mysterious promo at the end where two Masterchef contestants are asked to retire next week.

Bernard Chu’s  showed Adriano Zumbo that there was a new king of cakes on Masterchef with a lolly bag cake that will see silicone mat’s flying off the shelves today like croquembouche tins did in season one.

Clarissa, Andrew and Christina were having to replicate this masterpiece in a pressure test after they were the three who were the last to finish in the egg white whipping “quick fire” challenge. Props goes to Liliana for getting her eggs ups first beating the boys in a physical challenge.

The three remaining had three and a half hours to cook it, which was one hour longer then it takes for Bernard to make the cake. But it was not long enough no one managed to do the sugar decoration for the top and they just all got the redskin glaze on.

Last week in an interview with Xavier he hinted that Clarissa was going to provide some drama, and she did. But you get the feeling we only saw a little bit of what was really going on behind the scenes.

Many fans of Masterchef Australia have been waiting for years for someone to tell the peanut gallery to shut up in challenges and last night Clarissa did that but only after she had been relying on them for assistance and chatting to them constantly. Which gave Andrew the opportunity to do his eye rolling at her and say I hope she is the one to go home. No love lost between that pair.

Clarissa decided she was not going to use a timer so with multiple elements on the go kept on looking up going “Did anyone notice when I put my thing on?”

Even Gary Mehigan and Bernard went over and tried to talk to her and Gary ended up saying “She won’t listen”.

She said “I did absorb it but I don’t know if I can change my way of thinking”

She was scatty and would not shut up and then she put her sugar in the spearmint mix. The meltdown began.

To redo it she needed more eggs and she walked over to Christina’s and was about to pinch some before she was told no.

Daniel said “If you keep whinging it is not going to get you anywhere” and she screamed at him “You come down and do it for three half hours and you see how you like it.”

After Jules trying to be supportive yelled out “this is doable”  and then she said “I am only listening to Rishi”. This  44 year old woman certainly is a diva, she must hvae got this from her opera singing days.

After Rishi did some quick mathematics he told her she only one egg short and to just cut down all the other ingredients she is putting in it. She followed his advice and then later Christina said do you need one more egg? At that point Clarissa pretends to throw a bowl at her.

Also someone yelled out “Clarissa” she did a “talk to the hand” signal.

In the end after advice from Richi she discarded the spearment layer. Her cake was always going to  be a disaster as her musk marshmallow did not set either.

However was she going to get lucky with as Andrew who had been tracking smoothly had stuffed up his spearmint layer. It set too hard and he had overdosed it with eucalyptus oil which then permeated through the whole cake. Andrew told the judges he wants to win Masterchef and they all nearly fell off their chairs. I like Andrew but I am not seeing any sign of a Masterchef winner there.

Matt Preston thought Clarissa’s tasted better, however it was no surprise she was the one sent home.

Christina also let it be known she was a contender by doing a near perfect replica of the inside of the cake and she must have known she was safe even though George tried to tell her it was a disaster. After her face fell he then told her he was joking that it was fantastic. In fact Matt Preston thought on a blind tasting it would have been difficult to tell which one was Bernard’s and which one was hers.

No one seemed that sad to see Clarissa go except for Kelty who thought she was a lot of fun. She is planning on starting cooking classes from home. It will be different cuisines and people can sit around the table and eat together. It could be fun in a Fawlty Towers kind of way.

What was interesting was the promo for next week where Gary Mehigan told the contestants that they were asking two of them to retire from the competition.

Now are two people being kicked off the show for a transgression? Or is Gary just playing with words and saying we are asking two of you to retire from the challenge? I have no idea. All I do know is in the interview with Michael last week he told me this won’t be the last time we see him on Masterchef, and Clarissa is not doing interviews today.

Masterchef Australia is really starting to fire and hopefully the viewers will start tuning in.

Masterchef Australia on TEN Sunday to Thursday nights at 7.30pm.

1 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:36 pm }

Just be careful anyone who thinks they’re tuning in to SBS to hear some nice ‘swing’.

2 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 3:41 pm }

Lol Daisy, you’re funny.

3 brain dead dave { 06.23.13 at 3:48 pm }

Sorry gice , I went to the wrong topic, wrong thread.

Like expecting Count Basie and getting Count Ballsy instead. There was no band, but everyone was swingin’

4 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:48 pm }

Thanks Georgie.
But on a serious note, now that I think of it, I think some of the ‘oldies’, ie parents in the neighbourhood were ‘sharing’. I think it came from watching too much Peyton Place and Love Boat.
They thought they were still hot and we thought they were old and gross. In fact, they were only in their 30s.

5 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:52 pm }

LOL Dave.
I am thinking bisque.
You never know if they might leave the MC kitchen with a rash.

6 daisy { 06.23.13 at 3:53 pm }

Bacon rashes.

7 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 3:58 pm }

The sultans of swing
Twisting by the pool
Doing the walk of life

I reckon Mark Knopfler might have been there getting inspirated!

8 daisy { 06.23.13 at 4:00 pm }

Now we have taken MC to a dark place. MC up late.

9 Georgie { 06.23.13 at 4:07 pm }

A dark place like that pantry the other night?

10 daisy { 06.23.13 at 4:25 pm }

I’m expecting MC to go viral.

11 BakerBoy { 06.23.13 at 5:43 pm }

That cake does not look too hard to make. It just requires a bit of time and focus. As far as the ingredients go, a number of the more unique ingredients that are listed can be substituted very easily for more day to day ingredients:

Gold Gelatine Leaf: I have never worked with gelatine leaves. I always use powdered gelatine. I would use 1/2 teaspoon of powdered gelatine for each gold leaf gelatine used. I always add a pinch more for good luck in everything that I do. I have never had a problem with this ratio or substitution.

Powdered Colouring: Once again, I have never used powdered colouring. I only ever use the liquid. If the clour does not look defined enough…add a bit more.

Hazelnut Paste: If you can’t get this, I would use nutella, plus add some ground hazlnut meal to it to reduce the sweetness of the nutella. If it is too thick, just add a bit of milk or water.

Paillete Feuilletine: If you can’t source this, you have a number of options. The best one is to find a recipe for tuile batter, spread it thinly over the bottom of an oven tray, bake for a short period of time until it hardens, let it cool, then crush up and use in the recipe. Alternatively, you could buy Arnotts Wafer biscuits (vanilla or choc flavour) and crush them up.

Murray River Pink Salt: Just use ordinary table salt. There is zero diffrence in flavour. There may be a slight difference in texture given that the pink salt crystals add a bit of crunch, though that is not something that would worry me. The Pailette Feuilletines already add that, plus the praline addition later on adds more, so it wont be missed.

Valrhona Opalys: Just use white chocolate. The VO are smoother overall, but I suspect that their silkiness will be lost in the mix of this cake anyway, so dont stress if you can’t find them.

Invert Sugar: I am not quite sure why the creator of this cake has specifically added invert sugar plus castor sugar into the recipe? regardless, inverst sugar is just equal parts of fructose & glucose that has been chemically obtained through the inversion of sucrose. I would follow the recipe for invert sugar in this instance, though if I could not source it, then use 1/2 glucose and 1/2 fructose, though you may have trouble sourcing these ingredients too?

If I cant find them, I will let you know how the cake turns out without the invert sugar after I have made it. I will simply add more caster sugar if I can’t find Invert Sugar.

** With regard to the show itself, I was really impressed that MC sent Clarissa home. I did not expect that on the basis that she created conflict and a big talking point by the viewers. I thought for sure that Ch10 would let Andrew go and keep here, even though on merit, Clarissa should be the one to go.
Good to see Ch10 play it straight this time.

** It took a while for me to warm to a favourite, but I finally got there. My favourites are Nicky and Rishi.

I agree with everybody here that up until the Lolly Bag Cake, the show has been a bit ho-hum, with very poor cooking skills on display.

I can’t say that I am really liking Jules, Emma, or Lucy.

12 daisy { 06.23.13 at 5:44 pm }

Yay, Bakerboy, good to hear from you.

13 Littlepetal { 06.23.13 at 5:52 pm }

Bakerboy, please make your 7 layered cake and let us know how it turn out.

14 Edward { 03.11.14 at 2:06 am }

You probably miss her because she isn’t around anymore.
Greys Anatomy (Overdose Patient) The paramedics,
with no form of identification, rush Aaron into the hospital.

How is this bad habit or group of bad habits affecting
you.