The Block Sky High – Matt Seems To Forget There Are Cameras On Him

What part of “you are being filmed” don’t Matt and Kim understand? After the teams were told they would be scoring the others rooms Matt and Kim cracked a deal with Trixie and Johnno who were also in the running to win the cash. They agreed they would each give other ten points so that neither of them would sway the outcome.

However after Matt saw Trixie and Johnno’s lounge/dining area he decided he could only give it a 9.5. He texted them and said what they had done and suggested they change their score. Trixie and Johnno responded that a deal had been made and they were going to leave it.

Matt then when asked about it by a person off camera denied a deal had been made. Did he think his previous conversation was not recorded? After Matt and Kim won the room convincingly he did admit to camera that there had been a deal and in the end he had changed his score back to ten.

They were right it was not a “ten room” as there was no dining room table in the Penthouse Suite. However the apartments with big dining room tables had very small sofas. In fact a lot would struggle to seat a family of four let alone adding in any guests.

This week the teams have to renovate the foyers. Madi was upset that Jarrod expected her input into the design and thought it placed too much expectation on her. That girl is high maintenance.

Did you think the right dining/living area won?

The Block Sky High on weeknights at 7.00pm.

1 Christina { 06.24.13 at 11:17 pm }

Perhaps they weren’t actual cameras on Matt when he first mentioned the deal…as when we heard him say it I think we had a building shot (so perhaps no cameras but they forgot they still had mics on perhaps)?! If that why he lied when asked the question initially?! But in they end they honoured it anyway.

Thought it was funny when Trixie said about how in the future they will be thinking about upholding their integrity if they lose overall. That is very true! It is a game after all. Maybe not as cutthroat as Survivor but I bet contestants from Allstars would have scored everyone else low to ensure a win!

2 Eliza { 06.24.13 at 11:58 pm }

Exactly what I was saying while I watched – does Matt not realise that like 20 cameras are filming his every move and word?! At least they honored their word in the end though so props for that.

I knew that M&K would still end up winning. As I said in the last post, I can’t remember a team ever going win-less. I can’t remember all that much from the Jamie Durie days though.

M&K’s room was their best yet, but still preferred T&J’s overall. I do like Trixie’s style most of the time and it had the best livable living space. The dining room will be in the enclosed balcony which I think is a brilliant idea. As I said before, the kitchen bench table is substantial for everyday, and as the balcony is enclosed, then it will be suitable as another indoor space.

I didn’t get the fight between M&J. Seemed like she was kicking up a fuss about nothing. If Madi is the better designer then she should be overseeing everything for both their sake’s. I feel as though Jarrod is the quietest contestant ever – we don’t seem to hear from him all that much. I always feel sorry for him when Madi gets her cranky pants on.

3 LB { 06.25.13 at 12:25 am }

I watched TB until it was time for HR and really didn’t like what I saw. Was revealing the final score on a Monday night to counteract HR reveal?

M&K are petulant and did themselves no favours with their conniving ways. They were ready to do a deal to benefit themselves & then deny it when that would potentially benefit themselves – clearly not people of their word. Their twitter feed was amusing – they tweeted something along the lines of being ready for all the flack they were going to receive and then went on to say that they had a bad edit.

Um, no you didn’t. You said those things and sent the texts. Regardless of whether the original deal was made on camera or on audio, it was recorded & broadcast. Surely by this point in the show they must realise that their every breath is recorded and if it can be used to make reality tv then it is.

I also preferred T&J lounge area – it seemed much more luxurious than the other cramped lounge areas. How often are formal dining areas used now? The casual dining area in the kitchen will suffice for every day and if T&J can pull off a fabulous terrace dining area then that should work really well.

M&K did their best work by far – they’ve come such a long way. It’s not to my taste, but it did look great.

Is it just me, or do M&J seem to be imploding?

4 LB { 06.25.13 at 9:24 am }

Seems as though The Blocks strategy to gazump House Rule in the ratings misfired last night – House Rules 1.54m The Block 1.36m. The figures tell the story.

5 Kess { 06.25.13 at 11:41 am }

Have never really been able to get into this show, but watched most of Allstars and now this.

It’s a very odd show. Seems to be more a soap. And about posers – and yes I include the daggy couple posing as wholesome Mum & Dad, but she’s really a bitch and he’s a doormat.
House Rules has more real people and I like that it is about renovating not just flinging cushions around.

6 Maz { 06.25.13 at 11:41 am }

Props to them? I don’t think so. Their conscience was pricked by a badgering producer.

Matt & Kim you can be devious, amoral in these competitions but you can not lie in your one on one camera interviews. Its not a good look.

It is interesting now that constant justification is ‘its all about winning on auction day’.

Madi…well she comes across as a bit simple…

As for the living rooms, didn’t like any of them and if pushed to nominate one would say Trixie and Johnno.

7 PollyB { 06.25.13 at 12:27 pm }

Kess, I agree 100% re Trixie. Everything negative she accuses others of being is actually her looking in the mirror. I hope she at least learns something when she watches this.

Madi is a whiny little brat. I felt so sorry for Jarrod last night.

8 Eliza { 06.25.13 at 12:53 pm }

Maz – my ‘props to them’ was meant to be sarcastic, but it didn’t come across that way. I know they have shown themselves to be very devious and untrustworthy. Interesting that the twins get along with them the best being cops.. Shouldn’t they be on the side of truth and justice?!! I mean M&K seem as though they are the most untrustworthy out of everyone.

9 Gabby { 06.25.13 at 12:55 pm }

Maz and Lb I agree with you both, Matt and Kim are not people of their words and after last night I have no time for them. The only reason they came clean at the end was because they realised they had been caught red handed. I was so hoping they wouldn’t have won after what they did, didn’t care who won as long as it wasn’t them. That little episode really showed their true colours as every day individuals. Kim just sat on the bed and said nothing and at one stage closed her eyes as he continued to lie away. Will not be rallying for them anymore. I thought the twins room was the best.
Madi is a little brat who needs to grow up, poor Jarrod. Spot on Polly B.

10 Warble { 06.25.13 at 1:27 pm }

Matt in an article stated that they thought it was a private deal between them and T&J (as Christina #1 suggested) and thus was denying it occured on camera.

Not only did they raise this with T&J after submitting their scores but they also offered them to rate their room (which probably would have been to their detriment). When T&J denied, they changed their score back to the agreed.

At the end of the day, hardly something to get particularly upset about.

The Block played the edit and controvery beautifully to make a mountain out of a molehill. It’s amazing however that people still don’t realise this…

11 AJ { 06.25.13 at 1:29 pm }

Is anyone else having problems posting comments?

I didn’t watch The Block, but I don’t think Matt and Kim deserved to win. I much preferred Trixie and Johnno’s living area. I think it makes much more sense for them to place a dining table in their huge, indoor terrace with great views instead of having it stuck next to the kitchen with no views. Especially since Trixie and Johnno already included a sit-down, casual meals area with their kitchen.

12 Warble { 06.25.13 at 1:32 pm }

Let’s be honest here – if Matt and Kim were truly lying to screw over T&J, they wouldn’t have sent the text message, nor suggested they change their score.

13 Christina { 06.25.13 at 1:45 pm }

Warble I tend to agree. In fact am surprised no-one scored everyone else 1’s to take out the win! Would have been possible for any of them. Hmm…love to know what Dan & Dani or Josh & Jenna would have done if the same opportunity was given to them, LOL

14 Anonymous { 06.25.13 at 1:50 pm }

Hmm as somebody who goes to uni with Matt it’s a bit awkward. I’m a regular poster so I’m anonymous. But it’s certainly not his “true colours”. He’s a really great guy and his and Kim’s rooms are my favourites (not a bias just a matter of taste and that pixelation room won me over for them).

This article shows their disappointment in the editing:

But obviously CH9 wants to stir some drama. I thought it was unfair for the contestants to score others. They made it clear from the beginning of the week that Matt & Kim have never won a room – so obviously I assumed it was grooming for a win. The fact that Matt and Kim were so close to a real win but instead were dropped a bombshell to stir shit up angered me a bit and I had to switch channels and watch MasterChef instead.

Having said that, according to the article T&J told the producers about it. And I don’t like T&J anyway with their constant whining and trying to have a good image on camera. By gosh.

Either way I always thought being the villain was a good thing. You’re more memorable, and more opportunities open up for you. Last night’s episode was not very enjoyable. I’m sick of all this drama and want to see some renovations.

15 KG { 06.25.13 at 2:34 pm }

Did ‘Annajji’ end up running off with Bill Oddie?

16 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 2:36 pm }

I’m sorry but i’ve watched way too much reality tv over the years to learn one thing. If you don’t want to be portrayed badly don’t behave badly. Matt and Kim need to wake up to themselves.
NASTY IS AS NASTY DOES.

17 Gabby { 06.25.13 at 3:06 pm }

Totally agree TH, it still boils down to they made a deal with J & T, they didn’t stick to it. What happened to a man’s word is his bond? Obviously doesn’t mean much these days.

18 Warble { 06.25.13 at 3:21 pm }

Techhater, you suggest this just days after the “squeaky clean” singer from The Voice is outed as having an affair on his pregnant wife with her friend and later walking out on her. The Voice made him come across as a great guy, they could quite as easily do the inverse.

19 nanaliz { 06.25.13 at 3:21 pm }

Can’t blame editing, when you have said something straight to camera. Sorry anon, but M&K have been embroiled in too many incidents that show a lack of character on their parts. Wonder what Kim’s students and parents think.

I don’t like that wood wall. All I can think of is the splinters in little pinkies. It seems to close the room up and will date quickly. It will be a great cobweb catcher also.

20 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 3:26 pm }

Warble regulars on this site know I don’t watch singing shows and therefor don’t comment about things I haven’t seen.

21 Sue N { 06.25.13 at 3:29 pm }

Hear hear Nanaliz! couldn’t agree more :)

22 drb123 { 06.25.13 at 4:14 pm }

They seem to own the worlds filthiest Elmo doll, it is long overdue a clean or disposing of. I’m disgusted everytime it appears in bed with them

23 Anonymous { 06.25.13 at 5:10 pm }

Producers can manipulate all they like but at the end of the day the footage still needs to be there. I’m not saying that all the other contestants are perfect if they don’t come across on TV as being bitchy, but M&J have said some pretty nasty things straight to camera.

Yes, we do often remember the villains more prominently, but is this always for good reasons? The way that J&J acted last season would make me not want to hire them. Contestants, if they want a career in design/media after the show should act in a way that enables them to maintain their dignity within the eyes of the public, not just those that know them personally. That’s just how I see it anyhow.

24 brain dead dave { 06.25.13 at 5:37 pm }

Matt’s just a garden variety arsehole. All the producers do is hit “record ” in his case.

He looks like that wanker singer from The Cure to me.

25 Techhater { 06.25.13 at 5:52 pm }

Dave Thank you. You nailed it. Robert Smith from The Cure. I never did like that band and when my daughter was little if he came on tv she would hide. She was so scared of him.

26 Eliza { 06.25.13 at 6:02 pm }

Oops, that was me @23

Exactly, BDD, the footage of them being mean still needs to be there.

27 OL { 06.25.13 at 7:27 pm }

Last night only confirmed that I really don’t like anybody on TB and that’s a first. Absolutely no charisma or any endearing qualities underneath the never-ending bitching, whining and shifty behaviour. Only a sense of entitlement that they’re the only people on earth who deserve to win the money (I’m looking at you Trixie; you’re not the only broad around here who has children so quit milking the poor mother card). A bit of grace and humility is sorely missed in this cesspool. And non-nasally voices.

28 Julie { 06.29.13 at 1:02 pm }

Two of them are on realestate.com
Trixi and Johnno
and the Twins

29 Anon too { 07.04.13 at 10:52 pm }

I have family on the block and I promise you editing can skew a personality way out of balance. I had no idea it could actually be so misrepresenting. There is no balance and yes words have to be said to be used but context is worth 1000 words.