The Block – The Lounge and Dining Room Reveal But We Have To Wait For The Winner

The Block producers would be able to give a masterclass in product placement and in filling up hours of air time with nothing.  Last week the Wednesday and Thursday night episodes were prime examples of this. Wednesday night the contestant’s talked about the rooms they had already renovated and Thursday night they were at the races doing silly activities like fashions on the field and a plastic bubble race. The latter all appeared to be about getting Swisse a sponsor of the show on screen.

However I normally expect Sunday night’s to go to a set formula – finishing up rooms, room reveal and then scores. Not last night after the room reveal and after the first two judges scores were put up the contestants were told they would have to score the other teams room.

Matt and Kim who had the highest scores and who thought they were finally going to get a much needed room win  were told by Scott Cam they would all be judging and scoring each others rooms.

They know it the scores will be based on personalities and Bec and George, and Jarrod  and Maddie will score Trixie and Johnno’s higher. That $10,000 was slipping out of their grasp.

However we have to wait until tonight to find out what happens as the room reveal episode is now going over two nights.

For high end apartments the weird thing was how small some of the lounge rooms were. Lysandra and Alysa had a two seater lounge and a chair so where does everyone sit when they are entertaining? Considering they put in about three ovens it seems strange. Bec and George were the same. The lounge  is shoved in a crevice and is just there to watch the big projector TV.

The others did have more lounge space, but this meant Trixie and Johnno only had a four seater table. Maybe there will be more living space in the outdoor area. As last week was only the half way point of the competition the teams must be now renovating outdoor space and communal areas.

Which room do you think should win this week?

1 OL { 06.24.13 at 3:14 pm }

Wed and Thurs nights on House Rules: painting, hammering, genuinely likeable people actually talking about renovating. Wed and Thurs night on The Block: some wildlife park, buffoons in gorilla costumes, building for gorillas, polo uniforms, the races, some forced fashion show, hamster racing in plastic bubbles (seriously, wtf). When they’re not cocking about, they’re launching into some tirade over another team blah blah. Reveal night use to be a good ep to watch TB but that was all screwed up last night with the choppy editing between judges comments and Scotty (ugh shut up you twit) and that ridiculous twist in the end. Barf.

Not surprised that HR has finally trumped TB in ratings. Sure the renovators are a little more “homely” and amateur-ish on HR but they’re an entertaining lot to watch. Proof that likeable, DTE people will always be more entertaining than bitchy ones. When will TB, MKR and MC ever learn? Stay classy HR, do not ever change.

2 LB { 06.24.13 at 3:29 pm }

TB has totally jumped the shark with this silly stunt. Shows absolute contempt for the viewers. Couldn’t care who wins the room on TB, I’ll be watching the HR room reveal.

Agree with you OL 100%

3 Bolders { 06.24.13 at 3:46 pm }

I really dont like those paint splatter room twits.

For a primary school teacher she has one hell of a potty mouth.

4 Techhater { 06.24.13 at 3:48 pm }

OMG I just finished watching TB and am trying to work out what just happened. The “prank” of suspending Elmo from a rope and using terms such as “noose” and the “death of Elmo” were particularly painful to watch, having lost a very close member of my family from suicide by hanging. Totally insensitive. But this is what TB is reduced to. Again Matt’s “i don’t care about anybody or anything” attitude with the paint buckets just thrown over the balcony. And yet another so-called “cheating” scandal to endure. Where will it all end. My guess is that unless producers start to take note of viewers’ comments it will crash and burn. Please can’t we have a reno show just about renovation and MC the same a cooking show just about cooking.

5 AJ { 06.24.13 at 3:57 pm }

I’ll be watching House Rules tonight, not The Block.

Although, I think I may already know who is eliminated from House Rules after driving past one of the houses.

I definitely won’t be watching much more of The Block. All of the weeknight episodes are a waste of time and now even the “reveal” episode is subject to the extreme over-use of Scott Cam and a ridiculous twist from the producers. The heavily scripted comments from the judges indicate that Matt and Kim are the winners, as decided by the producers, and the “twist” probably won’t change that.

6 Maz { 06.24.13 at 4:44 pm }

Okay, last night’s episode was BS and the producers capitalising on the very nasty undercurrent that is going on between the contestants.
It started in All Stars and now the producers seem to be encouraging it.

There seems to be very little reno this year. I don’t know if this is because there is a lot more structural work that needs to be carried out and its best to keep the amateurs out of the way.

Really….Trixie sobbing over the children was not endearing and the Elmo hanging…let’s just say the twins are not coming across as pleasant people. Can you imagine a season if it was D&D, J&J and A&L…shudder…

7 Christina { 06.24.13 at 6:55 pm }

Haha – I was a bit of sucker then I guess, as I actually felt a bit teary when T&J’s kids left! Wasn’t a fan of all the reflection in last night ep (and in a lot of previous ones lately), but found the judging twist quite interesting…although does seem pretty unfair.

As for the rooms – T&J’s certainly has the best layout and shelving design etc. But wasn’t a fan of the rug – colours were nice but seemed a bit busy. I liked the chair and fireplace nook, however perhaps a bit old fashioned. But all of that is easily fixed.

I really like Matt and Kim’s feature timber walls and dining table. I also like the walk flow from the kitchen.

So I totally agree with the judges as it’s clearly a toss up between T&J and M&K. The twins, B&G and M&J all lovely, but nothing extraordinary.

Am not a fan of how B&G and M&K opted for a window rather than door in the corner – as blocks of the view (although I realise Bec has said she has plans to make bench seating outside..so I guess we wait and see if it’s worth it)!

8 Eliza { 06.24.13 at 6:56 pm }

Oh my gosh, Maz, those 3 together would be bitch nightmare! They could bond over their mutual love of being mean.

They all swear way too much.. except M&J. All the fs flying around makes me wonder what their kids hear at home for those with kids and worried when a primary school teacher can’t rein it in.

I agree with everyone’s comments – OL you took the words right out of my mouth. We were saying last week how TB has definitely just lost it. The gorilla challenge and the seemingly less and less reno that is actually shown each show is demonstrating this. For all the pranks and coffee getting they do, they aren’t doing a great job of showing us how hard it actually is to be on TB…

The living spaces were good. I am not a fan of B&G’s style really, and found their space rather boring. Agree that the lounge rooms seem small for luxury apartments. I think Johnno and Trixie’s idea is best as it makes the space feel more livable, rather than having a lounge shoved in a corner of the room. RR, T&J are going to have their dining area in the patio thing which is closed in. I think this is good bc you tend to eat casually most days, and then they will have a big dining table for entertaining and taking in the view.

I didn’t love Mat and Kim’s and thought the judges were just raving bc the producers told them to – has a team ever gone without a win in any series???

Disappointed with M&J’s room, the twin’s was good but that dog artwork was horrible. T&J’s was my favourite again, except for that strange nanna-ish sitting spot. Nothing wrong with nanna style here and there but it didn’t go with the rest of the space for me.

Will be interesting to see how the contestants judge and how real it seems. More excited for HR though!

9 Eliza { 06.24.13 at 6:57 pm }

Whoops – sorry, pretty much did a post longer than the recap itself…

10 Christina { 06.24.13 at 7:37 pm }

Eliza, glad I’m not the only one who detests the dog artwork! Don’t mind the colours, but who wants a slobbery dog hanging over your head staring at you eating dinner?!?!

I think T&J made the right decision making lounge bigger – majority of the year you would eat on balcony. This is Australia! I also would totally use the nanna area, sit a read next to the fire…but perhaps they could have put something more modern.