Guest Post: House Rules – A Transformed House And An Elimination

Apolgies due to a technial error my end Annajjj’s recap is up late. Here it is:

Final House Reveal at Michelle and Kel’s Sydney shack and tonight we find out which team is eliminated and it looks like we are in for some more surprises before the finale next Monday. But first…..

Teams are fighting the clock to finish their zones and there is the usual rushing and last minute painting and threats of not finishing.

Seamy are simultaneously taping old records to their feature cupboard wall and stressing about the enormous wifi fridge planted on their front porch. Is there any way you might be able to move it off my area Sean asks Plinth nicely but is told no, the doors have to come off right here right now. Ultimately there are five losers in this competition Sean points out which doesn’t sound very PPP.

Jemma and Barry are styling their master bedroom and Barry brings the confidence and a lacy mirror. Reese is stressing about running out of time to style her zone. Leighton is back to ignoring her.

Michelle, wearing an orange (!) top, shouts at Kel to hurry up. She’s keen to get home and see what has been done. Kel loads an orange (!) suitcase into the boot of their car and they head off.

Jo, also wearing orange, turns up to get in everyone’s way and Team Plinth’s fridge finally goes in much to Seamy’s relief. Jane stands around telling us that with very little time left it is important to push through. Push through what exactly Jane?

Time’s up, tools down, walk away from your zones, gice. It’s all over. Teams hug and share relief. Six renovations in six weeks. It’s a terrific effort.

The judges arrive and hipster Joe is back in those pants. First up is the lounge and deck and high praise from the judges. They love the proportions and the white and green. Into Team Plinth’s kitchen and dining area which is neutral and beachy and Wendy loves the wallpaper but there are bubbles. The Wallpaper King has failed. Wendy doesn’t like the tiles much and Joe thinks it is a bit bland. There are a few unfinished bits.

Next zone is entry, hall, stairwell and master bedroom and the judges love the entry but think the mirror is too spikey next to the cactus plant. There is too much going on says Joe dismissively, opening his bright blue blazer to tuck his red tie into his high waisted pink pants, before heading to the stairwell. Nice Morrocan wall things and the master bedroom is good. He loves the blue bedspread which saves the room from being El Blando. Wendy thinks the bedroom has missed the beachy brief. It’s a mix of French provincial and Hampton’s style. Isn’t the Hamptons a beach?

Nick and Chris’s zone now and the judges cram themselves into Alex’s tiny room. Although they appreciate the level of difficulty in designing a room for a young woman, they think the light fitting is too boudoir and not romantic. Next up is the bathroom with the Mexican/Moroccan/Matisse tile theme. Joe arranges himself artfully against the wall and ‘It’s a bit full on, bold and brave’ he drawls, referring to his pose which he holds for several minutes. I like it, says Wendy sounding not-quite-convincing.

Seamy’s area and the judges open the door to Jesse’s room. Its very rock ‘n’ roll and they don’t comment that when the bed is down there is no room to actually move in here. Next door the toilet is like…well it’s actually just a little powder room and a non-event says Joe but really Joe, what are you supposed to do to make a bang in a loo? Don’t answer that. The porch is very Hawaiian and both judges like it and think it sets the tone for the house.

Ad break with New Idea magazine promising the story of Reese and Leighton’s baby news, which will be like Lisa Curry’s baby news, which is that she’d quite like one.

Over at Home Base it’s Tradies vs SNAGs shirt day; Nick, Leighton and Barry in Lowe’s checked flannelette and Plinth, Sean and Christine in pale pastel business.

Jo delivers the news that one team will be eliminated tonight and then the scores:

Seamy: Judges loved the veranda but the toilet was disappointing as it was just a toilet. 8 and 7

Jemma and Possum Baz: Entry was too busy and all white hallway was all wrong. Too much French provincial style 6 and 7 and disappointment.

Chris and Nick:  Bedroom was good and Joe likes the bathroom tiles, but Joe also likes candy pants so don’t get cocky yet. 7 and 7

Team Plinth: White kitchen was too bland and the splashback too conservative. Poor workmanship. 5 and 5

Leighton and Reese: Lounge was Waikiki-themed and the proportions were great. Deck was amazing and 9 and 9

Next up we get to see Kel and Michelle arrive home and reunite with their kids. All four seem nervous and excited as they enter the house.

First into Leighton and Reese’s area and they are overwhelmed. Everyone loves the lounge and the deck. Into the kitchen where Michelle loves the yellowy orange (!) wallpaper. Kel starts pointing out the bad finishes while Michelle is busy employing every expression in her extensive repertoire; surprise, shock, shocked surprise, horrified, amazed… Words may well come to Kel but expressions are coming thick and fast to Michelle tonight.

She loves the master bedroom but wishes she had more Hawaiian in here which is her own fault for narrowing the rules down to Waikiki in the kitchen. She and Kel notice a built-in rat hole in the wall. Then massive disappointment as she has lost her shoes drawer but seriously, in the past six weeks of being with these people day and night there wasn’t one opportunity to say ‘Hey gice, I love my big wardrobe and don’t touch it’?

Into the bathroom and Michelle instantly hates the wall tiles. Oh YUCK she says and declares it is Just Wrong. If they knew her they would know she hates orange unless it is on a shirt, suitcase, furnishings or a feature wall. More disappointment as the bathroom mirror has fallen off the wall and chipped around the edge.

Two brief scenes where Alex seems to like her room and she has the chandelier she wanted. Then into Jesse’s room where everyone is delighted with the cupboard bed which would actually be great for a small spare room. Michelle and Kel love the front porch.

Arriving at Home Base and Michelle is wearing another of her many orange tops and she gets a little teary as she thanks the teams for the work they have done. Scores:

Seamy: They’ve apparently made a 17 year old boy incredibly happy so he’s obviously see the video of Amy’s Harlem shake.  Jesse also loved his room and everyone loved the veranda. Score is 7

Chris and Nick: Alex loved her bedroom but the bathroom is just ugh and score is Nick-don’t-hate-me 4

Leighton and Reese: Nailed it and is this the 10? Yes 10!

Jemma & Barry: They don’t like the cream and the finishes were bad and their score is 3 ouch! Barry is bitter, Michelle and Kel look guilty and Reese says suck it up.

Team Plinth: Finishes weren’t great so 5 but at least it isn’t a 3. Is 3 the lowest score we’ve ever had?

Now Jo makes the announcement which viewers were expecting but somehow shocks the contestants; that all the previous scores are going to be combined with the lowest scorer going home. Why are the contestants so surprised? How did they think the loser would be decided, Scissors Paper Rock or something?

Combined scores for the past six weeks are:

Top of the real leaderboard – R&L with 107, then Jemma and Baz come second with 106 and Seamy third with 98 points. Michelle and Kel are in 4th place with 97.

1 point separates the bottom two and after another prolonged pause it’s Nick and Chris with 90 so Team Plinth with 89 are going hooooome. Nooooo! But yes and really no one is that upset except me because they were so much fun to recap. Jo says it is sad to see them go home as they awkwardly leave without hugging anyone goodbye.

Jo warns the remaining teams that starting from now they are all going back to their own homes and redoing one zone in 24 hours. The Leader board has been wiped clean! What? This is madness! So it’s anyone’s game again and maybe the producers can decide who wins based on popularity. It looks like we may get several eliminations before the finale on Monday night. It’s going to be a very interesting week.

1 Eliza { 06.25.13 at 6:48 pm }

I didn’t think it was right that the scores thus far get wiped clean! Exactly annajjj, now the producers can pick any winner they’d like. I believe in hard and good work paying off so hopefully the right team wins. I think it will be C&L. Looking forward to tonight’s reveals!!!

2 Daze { 06.25.13 at 6:52 pm }

annajjj, missed your post alllllllllll day – still we’ve been active on your previous one, lol. Wonder if M&S will replace the canary yellow wallpaper in dining room – I couldn’t live with it being buckled. Loved the lounge room and also the bedroom even tho it was very “Revenge – Victoria Hampton’s” style (but, not in the Brief). Easier to live with, than the kitchen bland decor.

3 Gabby { 06.25.13 at 7:06 pm }

Thanks Annajjj, another great recap from another great show. Looking forward to tonight’s show. Is someone getting eliminated tonight?

4 Andrea { 06.25.13 at 7:09 pm }

Not much else to add, we said it all in the previous post, however I do agree that its not fair to wipe all the scores so far, it counteracts everything that”s been done
I wish all the gardens were being done including J&P, and then total up all the scores at the end.

Gabby, I’m pretty sure there is an elimination tonight.

5 Gabby { 06.25.13 at 7:25 pm }

I wouldn’t be able to live with not being able to open the pantry cupboard properly. That would drive me crazy. They deserved to lose a few extra points for a stupid mistake like that.

6 Andrea { 06.25.13 at 7:28 pm }

They might have to swap that whacking big fridge for a smaller one and then the cupboard door would probably be okay.

7 OL { 06.25.13 at 7:34 pm }

Even I couldn’t help but feel a fuzzy feeling when all the contestants hugged it out when they finished the final reno. But happy that it was “dumb broad and pinot” (hubby’s words not mine lol) that are gone. Frankly she was a dead weight. If I was him, I would’ve told her to sit outside and look at the clouds for the entire week. Can’t wait to see the remaining episodes. Just tuned into The Block, saw that they were go-karting and flicked off immediately. FFS Scotty.

8 annajjj { 06.25.13 at 8:48 pm }

Wow didn’t see that coming!

9 Andrea { 06.25.13 at 8:55 pm }

Me either!
Wrong decision! They were robbed IMO.

10 Georgie { 06.25.13 at 8:56 pm }

Not happy Jan – that sucks!

11 nanaliz { 06.25.13 at 8:58 pm }

Great recap once again,annajjj, thanks for the extra fun you add to the show. Without mentioning team eliminated for WA and SA viewers, great to see hugs all round tonight.

12 Gabby { 06.25.13 at 10:10 pm }

My recording cut off before the end, what do they have to do tomorrow night please?

13 AJ { 06.25.13 at 10:30 pm }

Not happy about tonight’s elimination.

But, I had recently driven past their house and saw that their garden had not been touched, so expected them to be eliminated. They have done a fair bit of work on the exterior of the house though and from the pile of rubbish in the front yard, it appears they’re still doing more work inside.

As for Michelle and Kev’s house. It looked pretty decent. The living area, deck, son’s room and main bedroom were all stand-outs. I didn’t like the main bathroom at all – surely a double sink would be required for a family of four bathroom? And the kitchen looked really cheap with the plastic wood veneer. It was bizarre that Jane and Plinio chose plastic wood when all of the rooms in the house pre-renovation were white on white on white!

I think Jane and Plinio deserved to go home last night. But, tonight’s team really didn’t deserve to go home.

14 annajjj { 06.25.13 at 10:34 pm }

Gabby tomorrow is gardens but I think some of us miss out because of SoO. Dammit.

15 seepi { 06.25.13 at 10:34 pm }

Nick and chris barely changed anything in tonight’s show. Except the obvious – painting the ceiling white, which was an improvement.

But the judge lady was right – the bar/linen cupboard combo was wierd, re-painting the blue colour a shade or so lighter was pointless, and their ‘new’ furniture looked like a matching set with the stuff they got rid of. boring.

Michelle does shout a lot.

16 Gabby { 06.25.13 at 11:05 pm }

Cheers annajjj, I can’t believe we miss out because of the football. I hope its on at another time of the day for us to catch up. Are they doing their own gardens? Should be a good one. It definitely should have been those boys going home tonight. Damn, they better not win the whole thing.

17 Eliza { 06.26.13 at 12:00 am }

Gardens are on Thursday night – no show tomorrow due to SoO. They wouldn’t show it tomorrow in other states, surely? GO NSW btw!!!!!!!

I had one of those sinking feelings that they weren’t going to get rid of the brothers. I wish the same thing, Andrea. I was expecting another round with everyone together. Do the gardens then the team with the most points overall wins. Best and fairest way to go. This week feels really rushed and the eliminations just don’t feel like they go with the flow of the show. I am not ready for it to leave our screens just yet. They better bring The Mole back well. Used to be one of my favourite shows.

Agree, TB again tonight.. whhhaaaa??? Ok, the tomato thing was kinda funny but again it was all filler and stupid challenge. I am starting to not like Madi. She is losing it. Agree with other comments that she (and Jarrod as well) seems a bit ‘simple’. Just something a bit off about them.. Seems as though Jarrod really has a hard time making decisions though. He’s a carpenter by trade so I would expect more from him.

18 LB { 06.26.13 at 12:08 am }

This week does feel really rushed, Eliza, and right out of step with the previous weeks.

I would love to know when this finished shooting. Were they still shooting when it first went to air & the network got spooked by the soft opening numbers and so shortened the season fearing that it wouldn’t work as well as it has?
RR, would you have any idea when they wrapped – just to set my suspicious mind at rest :)

19 LB { 06.26.13 at 12:43 am }

Just watched TB and cannot believe the new depths it’s plumbed. There was NO renovating apart from some half hearted discussions about retro-fitting a bathroom/laundry exhaust and Matt ditching his artwork.

The entire rest of the programme was taken up with an incredibly lame Billy-cart challenge, something that felt faintly icky with Scott, Lysandra and a masseuse, and then Scott doing some idiotic carry on over George’s dislike of tomatoes.

Does this mean that the contestants do virtually no renovating themselves so they have to pad the show with this kind of junk & the contestants only actually do something when it comes to painting & dressing the rooms?

No wonder HR is overtaking TB in the ratings!

20 Eliza { 06.26.13 at 12:45 am }

I would be interested to know when they finished too, LB.

21 cuisinaire { 06.26.13 at 2:35 am }

Team NSW’s score seems a little high considering that all they achieved was removing the kitchen tiles, shopping for new tiles and knick knacks and replacing the relatively small expanse of wallpaper with a “muriel”. Even the new tiling work was done by a professional. Yes it looked better than the poor choices and workmanship of the Team Tassie effort but the other teams had little choice other than to reinvent “disasters” which necessitated painting and carpentry to say the least. If they could change the kitchen tiles, they could just as easily have changed the bathroom wall tiles in a day. Why should any of the contestants changed rooms to suit the “experts”, particularly a guy who looks like he dressed in the dark? (The same “experts” who criticised a toilet for being “just a toilet”. Seriously, what were they expecting? Exotic tiles/colours to close in the small space, potted palms, muzak?) The competition has taken a backward step now with twists and turns, sudden deaths instead of rewarding consistent effort.

22 Angel86 { 06.26.13 at 8:12 am }

Definitely think Michelle and Steve were scored too high. They did less than the boys did, yet the boys got slammed and M&S got second best score. The bench seat thing they put under the picture was a bit random and I much preferred the sideboard that Jane and Plinio put in there. Other than Carly and Leighton, no one really showed any great innovation. There is a limit to how much you can do in 24 hours with the budget they had. And most of their time had to be spent fixing up finishes etc.

I actually loved Michelle and Steve’s bedroom but I like the french provincial style so it worked for me.

23 Andrea { 06.26.13 at 8:22 am }

Cuisinaire, you said it perfectly, it seems to be so rushed this week, as if the producers were definitely afraid the show was a flop which it wasn’t.
I love your comment re the judge dressing in the dark! LOL!

I just wanted all their gardens done and add up scores at the end, this seems the fairest way to reward the contestants with all their hard work, shame they stuffed it all up at the end.

24 nanaliz { 06.26.13 at 8:40 am }

I got the feeling they were doing each others gardens. Was I imagining that?
I loved what C&L did in the time and with budget constraints. A&S’s door would have looked better painted in the grey they used on the hand rail but they gave themselves too much to do in the time.

25 Gabby { 06.26.13 at 8:54 am }

Michelle and Kevin didn’t really do that much. No wonder they got a good nights sleep while everyone else worked through the night. Shame about A and S’s front door, I was thinking at the time it didn’t look like a Qlder door. You would think if they were into renovating an old Queenslander they would have known what the front door looked like.
I loved C and L’s room too. Doesn’t look as if they replaced the kingsize bed. Sorry but I don’t really want Michelle and Kev to win, not two of my favourites.

26 CAM { 06.26.13 at 9:09 am }

I was pretty shocked Seamy went home but then what they produced in the 24 hours did suck. That door was hideous (seriously, who would have thought it would have been this tricky to find a freaking door for God’s sake? That’s two hideous doors down), the paint job was a shocker and changing the spare room into a sitting room didn’t work for me (unless it was a sofa bed they used?). I thought Michelle and Kel’s effort was poor even though I loved their new tiles. I loathed the ‘muriel’ and I agree with the previous commenter who said the side board was a much better use of that space ( seriously, would anyone ever sit there?). The boys whole house does not do it for me in the slightest, it’s a dark hole. They were doomed when they didn’t commit to either linen cupboard OR bar, that half arsed thing was ridiculous. Didn’t think the new study was any better than what they had to begin with. I can’t stand Possum Baz and Jemma and I thought they did well to score a 15, that beauty room was like a morgue (and I laughed out loud when the judges nearly ripped that glass screen our of the wall when they gently brushed it). I also hated the wooden hall table against the ‘industrial’ toned wallpaper. Finally…..I freaking ADORED Reese and Leighton’s room. Such a HUGE improvement from that foul wall paper and those hideous giant billowing curtains. Loved it, loved the study, they killed it. When Reese isn’t being annoying and when they aren’t fighting they are my favourite couple by far.

27 AJ { 06.26.13 at 9:14 am }

@ nanaliz

My understanding is that they’re doing each other’s gardens. There was a snippet of footage of Carly and Leighton saying something along the lines of “we hope they like what they find in our garden” and then a cut to the footage about the discovery of a “sinkhole” in someone’s garden.

BUT, that seems like an incredible amount of work to squeeze into only two episodes, especially if they’ll be compiling footage of all of the team members at each of the houses (except for the owners who seem to be whisked away to a motel room again).

28 Eliza { 06.26.13 at 6:05 pm }

I am confused whether they are working on each others’ gardens or what, too, considering how much air time is left. I am not loving this rush to the finish line.

Agree that M&S didn’t put in much work and J&B’s work left me terribly underwhelmed. C&L’s bedroom looks great and I loved the wood paneling wall/bed head.

29 home office furniture { 07.24.13 at 8:01 am }

I believe when it comes to home office furniture, you certainly
get precisely what you pay for.

30 Dr T { 07.24.13 at 8:09 am }

HOF@29 – same goes for taxidermy – you can get stuffed!