Masterchef Australia – An Innovative Challenge Saw Another Elimination

The person who thought of the elimination challenge to end Italian week needs to take a bow or at least get a bonus. It was innovative and original. The ingredients were placed in the colours of the Italian flag – red, white and green and the contestants could only cook from one of those colours. However the colour they would cook from would be random as they selected a coloured apron from a bag.

As there was such an array of ingredients the majority of the dishes produced looked delicious.

Apparently white was the colour to get and green was not. Jules, Noelene and Christina got green and the only protein option appeared to be prawns. However they all plated decent dishes. Christina stuffed hers with pistachio’s, Noelene was told she was a “contender” after serving prawns with chargrilled zucchini, and Jules showed she is consistent with her prawn and pureed fennel dish.

Emma Dean was confident prior to the challenge and did not play her immunity pin. She ended up cooking a rib eye steak with caponata and potatoes. She was worried about whether it was cooked correctly and it was.

Rishi also plated up a nice gnocchi with mushrooms, and Pip, who I think is a contender, also was praised for her dish of Rock Cod.

Neha pulled the white apron and decided to make pizza, which was a bit bizarre considering they had made it the previous challenge. She had to use fresh yeast which did not work for her and her dough did not rise. Her pizza with bocconcini and mushroom topping was never going to set the world on fire.

In fact what was on fire or at least smoking was an empty frypan on a gas flame that was billowing.

However Β in the end she was lucky Faiza’s Veal Meatballs with Tomato Sauce with Smashed Chilli Potatoes were deemed to be worse with the student and Coles worker eliminated. Faiza has started a blog and is hoping to become a food critic.

Next week they are off to Western Australia.

1 Delirium { 06.29.13 at 3:06 am }

Weren’t people saying the same thing about season 4? Which they are now waxing poetically about?

2 Gy { 06.29.13 at 4:39 am }

@Dr T

The time Curtis did the ‘keep up with the chef’ challenge was in MasterChef All-Stars (Julie went home). Kylie Kwong did the ‘keep up with the chef’ challenge in season 4.

3 Carole { 06.29.13 at 9:12 am }

They already did the fishing trip where they have to catch their own fish last year or the year before. I remember they had a choice and one of them chose to go fishing and when they got out there found they got seasick and couldn’t catch anything. Spent the whole time on the boat lying down trying not to be sick.

4 Anna { 06.29.13 at 9:15 am }

Didn’t someone serve up little white fish they use for bait to the judges. Think it was Season 1

5 Littlepetal { 06.29.13 at 12:01 pm }

So now on Mon night, the losing team has to nominate one contestant to have a crack at winning the immunity pin. So winning team gets nothing. Wonder who they want to give the pin to.

6 Andrea { 06.29.13 at 1:36 pm }

Can’t stand the thought of the contestants having to go out and catch their own fish, what is the point?
I bet other professional chefs don’t have to go out catching their own fish, they would just buy it from the markets I would imagine.
MC needs to just get back to basics and get the contestants cooking back in the kitchen, not exhausting them before they even get started, no wonder the guy with the crook knees had to retire , imagine him out in the fishing boat!

7 Daisy { 06.29.13 at 1:38 pm }

Andrea, just about to watch BTM and will get back to you on that thread.

8 Littlepetal { 06.30.13 at 1:17 pm }

Even Maggie Beer has something to say about reality cooking shows. She has slammed these shows for focussing on contestants back stories and sensationalise their stotylines.
She was dissappointed that much of what was on offer did not focus on cooking.

Read this on The Sunday Telegraph

9 Andrea { 06.30.13 at 1:42 pm }

I read that too Littlepetal in The Sunday Courier Mail, good on her for speaking out, she must be getting sick of it, especially when she is usually involved with MC.

10 Littlepetal { 06.30.13 at 7:51 pm }

Is this a cooking show or fishing show? 25 mins they are still fishing!

11 Georgie { 06.30.13 at 7:57 pm }

It’s ridiculous and totally unnecessary Littlepetal. Send them to the markets to buy their produce – that demonstrates more about cooking skills than being on a bloody trawler ffs.

12 Littlepetal { 06.30.13 at 7:59 pm }

And they didn’t even fish! All they did were go with the trawler.

13 Jules { 06.30.13 at 8:03 pm }

Eeeeew, Rishi and Emma chucking extra burley into the water.

14 Georgie { 06.30.13 at 8:04 pm }

And burley the catch by chucking up over the side – yuck!

15 Morgan { 06.30.13 at 8:05 pm }

Yes, they didn’t even help with the fishing! What was the point of having them go out to sea?

16 Georgie { 06.30.13 at 8:08 pm }

Jules you beat me by a minute.

17 Jules { 06.30.13 at 8:27 pm }

Lol, Im pretty quick on the trigger. Hate to say it but this series of MC is so dull that watching them stagger around trying not to hurl on camera has probs been the most entertaining ep for me so far. Not that I’ve watched that many eps.

18 daisy { 06.30.13 at 8:29 pm }

I never watch fishing shows and from what you guys are saying, I might have to give up cookingbshows too. I wonder if they will take note of public opinion and restore the format so that it has some integrity.

19 daisy { 06.30.13 at 8:33 pm }

I made a fresh asparagus, broccilini and parmesan omelette for tea tonight, (‘inspirated’ by a great chef).

20 Jules { 06.30.13 at 8:49 pm }

Sounds yum! Healthy too. Im sure you cooked it from the heart

21 daisy { 06.30.13 at 8:53 pm }

Thanks Jules. I just thought this thread could use a little cooking.
It was easy.

22 Littlepetal { 06.30.13 at 8:54 pm }

And with love

23 daisy { 06.30.13 at 8:58 pm }

Dan and Step are on Sunday night. They showed their wedding photos from only 4 years ago. It was curious to see a slim Dan.

24 daisy { 06.30.13 at 8:59 pm }

Yes girls, with love. :)

25 Littlepetal { 06.30.13 at 9:09 pm }

I didn’t see the beginning of it but I thought Dan had put on more weight than at MKR final

26 daisy { 06.30.13 at 9:09 pm }

Did I hear D&S say they got lucky??

27 daisy { 06.30.13 at 9:11 pm }

They have both put on a lot of weight in only 4 years.
But I think they they said they were pregnant. Did I hear right?

28 Georgie { 06.30.13 at 9:14 pm }

They both looked like they were pregnant. πŸ˜€

29 daisy { 06.30.13 at 9:14 pm }

Ha ha ha ha.

30 lr { 06.30.13 at 9:16 pm }

They were both SO slim on their wedding day! I legit thought it was a photo of two different people, I can’t believe how much weight they’ve both stacked on in the last few years!

31 Littlepetal { 06.30.13 at 9:16 pm }

No. I thought they said with this new technology their chances of getting pregnant is higher. Dan was so slim at the wedding. The sausages must be too good to resist.

32 daisy { 06.30.13 at 9:17 pm }

Good on Derryn Hinch for putting his neck on the line to stick up for victims of abuse. I’d dob in for his lawyers.

33 Littlepetal { 06.30.13 at 9:19 pm }

Sometimes he does some good things

34 daisy { 06.30.13 at 9:19 pm }

Thanks for clearing that up, Littlepetal.

35 Dr T { 06.30.13 at 9:27 pm }

On the side topic of Hinch – that man has no respect for the law

I didn’t mind them going out on the trawlers – the point was that that was meant to be time for them to prep the produce prior to getting back to land and cooking. The other point of sending them out was to add uncertainty – such that they had to plan what they were cooking on their feet.

Andrew – the guy with crook knees – had to pull out for an unusual reason. You don’t get stress fractures at the age of 39 just from being overweight and jumping once or twice. I suspect he’s got some other underlying reason as to why his/joints bones aren’t the best.

They seriously need to pull Jules back a bit – she has gone well beyond annoying

36 Littlepetal { 06.30.13 at 9:38 pm }

But they wasted half an hour of the show just to show us they when fishing. They could have given them an assortment of seafood and to cook with them

37 daisy { 06.30.13 at 9:56 pm }

Fair call DrT on Hinch. He doesn’t respect the law.

Just saw Noelene ‘feeding the fish’.

38 daisy { 06.30.13 at 10:04 pm }

I can’t help thinking all those fish have Noelene’s vomit in their stomachs. I would’t be able to eat it without thinking of the spew.
I know this probably happens but I’d prefer not to know.

39 jules { 06.30.13 at 11:57 pm }

Hehe…let’s hope Kelty remembers to gut them then.

40 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 12:00 am }

Kealty doesn’t have to do it. He wasn’t on the trawler. He was so pleased with himself when they said the scallops were delicious.

41 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 12:02 am }

The person going for the immunity challenge should be Christina or Vern.

42 Eliza { 07.01.13 at 12:38 am }

Hey Daisy, did Kelty deserve a ‘good boy’ for his efforts tonight? Maybe a scratch behind the ears too? I find it so entertaining how happy he gets when he does well. He does get a bit too protective though!

Note to self: do not watch MC contestants on a boat while eating.. I did feel for them though. I never thought I got sea sick until a fun whale watching adventure in NZ.. not fun. I was able to hold it in though thank goodness.

Agree the fishing was superfluous, but haven’t they gone fishing to catch their own food in other seasons? I think they are thinking the less we have to see the contestants actually cook on this cooking show the better.

Tomorrow’s ‘ammunity’ challenge is interesting. Only one to cook off for ‘ammunity’? How is that fair that Emma just had to beat the others to win, but this time round they have to cook against a chef? So inconsistent! I am glad though, as imagine how many pins would be going round if it was guaranteed each time someone would leave with one.

I like the chef they will be having on. He has gone easy on them in the past, so what will he have to do this time to give them the notion of a chance? Cut one hand off? I think Dani beat him the other season?

43 daisy { 07.01.13 at 2:27 am }

A scratch behind the ears and on the tummy Eliza.