Masterchef Australia – The Immunity Pin Challenge

Noelene is fast becoming a favourite as she was grinning from ear to ear looking at Guillaume like the cat that got the cream. Maybe she was thinking he could be husband number four. She was hilarious tonight and also she is not backward in saying what she thinks.

Unfortunately it was not Noelene who got the opportunity to sidle up against the French chef in the kitchen, when it was time to select a red team member she took herself out of the running. She again showed her disdain for Totem saying she thought Christina, Vern, Lynton or Lucy should have a shot at it.

Maybe she had the same view Christina had that telling Vern how to clean the squid did not mean you had input into the dish. However Vern also stuck his hand up for just about every dish. Maybe his rationale was he had prepped the seafood on board the trawler.

Interesting that when it came down to a vote by the team to select either Lucy or Vern, that Totem did not stand behind his room mate but voted for Lucy.

Vern did not have to cook off against Guillaume but against a Western Australian cooking identity Russell Blakie, the french chef was just going to oversee Vern in the kitchen.

Vern would get 90 minutes to Russel’s 60, but the chef got to select the main ingredient. With a choice between duck or orange he chose the duck.

Vern decided to make duck two ways with lentils and roasted carrots. Russell made Duck Breast with Madeira Sauce with pumpkin puree and crispy fennel. There was an editing error where they showed Russell  with his blue glove on which indicated he had cut himself, and then the next scene showed him going  to camera”Oh look I have cut myself.”

Guilaume looked like he was getting a bit fed up in the end and was a bit short with Vern or maybe he was just channelling Gordon Ramsay.

Matt, George and Gary were judging and at first they were musing whether Vern could actually beat the chef. Matt Preston said: “We’ve seen it happen to good chefs and bad chef’s, who had their arse canned by the amateurs.” Unfortunately Matt did not name and shame, but would love to know who he thought the bad chef’s were.

Of course they tried to keep up a pretense that they did not know whose dish they were tasting however George when tasting dish two which was Vern’s said  “I am quietly surprised”.

The judges appeared to agree. Matt kept the pretence up saying “There is one sure fire winner and if that is Vern he gets the pin “. It wasn’t Vern as he scored 21/30 with Russell getting 28/30 with a perfect score from Gary.

Tomorrow night they are in the outback doing a challenge that looks suspiciously similar to one on Masterchef Professionals this year where the chefs had to cook on open fires.

1 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 11:54 pm }

I thought Christina cooked well in the team challenge. She cooked lots of prawns and of course needed some help from the others. Not sure what Lucy and Lynton did in the team challenge.
At least Noelene was fair and didn’t say she should be in contention. Samira would has put her hand up for the immunity challenge

2 Carole { 07.02.13 at 7:36 am }

Yeah, it was interesting how they decided to pick the person to go for immunity. It was a bit cruel making them pick someone themselves. You’d have to be really up yourself to pick yourself.

Vern did pretty good with what he made. Don’t know about lentils though, don’t like them.

I think it was obvious as soon as they saw the plates, which one was the professional one. Vern’s plating left a lot to be desired. But they didn’t like the pumpkin mash on the other one and said it was something anyone at home could have done.

3 emp { 07.02.13 at 9:26 am }

I do not really care about Vern so this was the first MC ep I ever skipped. From what I heard it wasn’t a good ep anyway.

4 Ryan { 07.02.13 at 9:40 am }

Funny zat ze Frenchman was ze only one who knew how to pronounce immunity properly. Even the voice over guy called it ‘ammunity’. Next on Channel Ten, English for Dumbarses.

5 Rosie { 07.02.13 at 9:40 am }

I couldn’t be bothered watching this last night, and am now glad I didn’t. Mind you, I was considering watching the repeat this morning, but now, thanks to your excellent recap as usual, RR, I don’t have to. So once again, thank you. :-)

6 Dr T { 07.02.13 at 9:40 am }

Did Russell lose a mark from George and Matt for his smear? I thought George was pretty black and white on the place of the smear in an episode earlier this year?

The fake drama is really really quite annoying, but I do prefer this kind of immunity challenge where it has to be earned to the best of the competitors where someone gets a pin whatever happens.

Emp – I didn’t think it was a bad episode – it was along the same lines as the original MC ammunity pin challenges – I suspect people’s reactions to the ep may have been about the contestant cooking and the judges.

I’ve been to Bistro G in Melbourne – lovely food… Despite my profession I really reel against paying $40-50 for a main course. Places like Rockpool where you can spend more on a piece of steak than families on/below the poverty line have to spend on food (not sure if anyone else watched 4 Corners last night… real reality TV)

7 Dr T { 07.02.13 at 9:44 am }

Ryan – one of my friends posted a link to this poem on English pronounciation on FB… thought you may like it

8 Joseph Skyrim { 07.02.13 at 9:50 am }

While it was an ok episode I was left thinking what’s the point of team challenges if only one person will get the reward (or a chance at it) at the end? If that’s how it’s going to be may as well just slack off and rest for the non-elimination team events.

The judges flat out lied when they said the winning team would have a shot at immunity. Well, maybe not but they sure disguised the meaning behind their words really well. Way to get the backstabbing going MC.

9 Rosie { 07.02.13 at 10:10 am }

Dr T! Thank you so much for that link. I have just finished reading it aloud to my husband, and am exhausted!

10 Jas { 07.02.13 at 10:40 am }

Looks like Matt has brought out those amazing white pants he wore on the similar Professionals episode!

11 Damian { 07.02.13 at 11:16 am }

4 episodes this week (let’s not count the Thursday episode as it is a different kind of fish)

-1 team challenge
-1 immunity attempt
-1 team challenge
-1 elimination

Nowhere this week do we get to see the contestants having a bash at anything approaching a level ground. So, again, we have no idea about these people.

Please, give them all a couple of cuts of lamb and say – do whatever with this. Please. Then eliminate one of them. Then do this 14 times in a row (but change the meat), and call it a day. It’d be a much better show.

I can’t stand these team challenges as they add nothing but drama. On Sunday half the contestants cooked a fisherman’s basket, for Pete’s sake. Anyone can do that.

12 Dr T { 07.02.13 at 11:19 am }

Damian – I have discovered the secret to making vegetarian food taste good… add meat

13 Daisy { 07.02.13 at 11:24 am }

Dr T you’d have to pay about $40-$50 for a mains if you were in the West.

The pumpkin smear tasted like PUMPKIN I guess. Nothing wrong with that. If you must use lentils for a base red would have been a better choice.

And they would know immediately who cooked what by the cooking time allowed and the cooking time required.

And Littlepetal, yes, there was a change in Verne’s dish. It was plated up differently (better) at the end. Woolif spotted it.

MC is more about the food than MKR was this year.

No one I really like or dislike in this comp. Christina might be the best cook.
Eastern/Middle Eastern foods are so good that perhaps people who have grown up with them all think they are good cooks. This kind of food just tatses good even when thrown together. But that’s just my opinion.

14 Dr T { 07.02.13 at 11:29 am }

Yes Daisy… I know… Victoria is an adopted state (much like being stoned, not that I’ve ever been stoned either in the medicinal or bibilical sense)… I’m a sandgroper at heart

One thing that does piss me off is how much Victorians complain about how cold it is in winter… It’s like a surprise every year over here

“MC is more about the food than MKR was this year. ”
Yes… but are they respecting the produce?

The one thing I noticed about Coles on the Sunday night challenge was how dead it was… typical Perth

15 Littlepetal { 07.02.13 at 11:32 am }

Are you sure that this MC is all about the food and better than MKR, Daisy?

Cooking so far has been minimal

16 Daisy { 07.02.13 at 11:34 am }

The Farmers’ Mart is the IN place to shop. Lot’s of actually fresh produce.

Just saw Larry mocking himself and Kyles for choosing to do Celeb Splash. Funny dag. He wants to do The Mole or ARA.

17 Daisy { 07.02.13 at 11:41 am }

No No No, Littlepetal. Not ALL about food by any means, but more so than MKR. I found the drama from the contestants on MKR way more intrusive and over the top. IN MKR Pete and Manu were almost a non event.

The cooking in MC hasn’t been exciting but the drama from the contestants has been less. IN MC it’s more the judges who are tring to crank up the drama. I guess they have to.

18 Anna { 07.02.13 at 12:21 pm }

George licking his chops and saying ‘if Verne made this jus then it’s amazing’ total BS! Yeah right!! Even with Guillaume guiding him, Verne wouldnt be able to make jus like that

For us Sydney foodies there is some bad news on the horizon

Might go and check out if in CBD which bozo will be in the truck :-)

19 Littlepetal { 07.02.13 at 3:53 pm }

The Masterchef American Express pop up restaurant is back again this year. It will be in Syd and Melbourne

20 Anna { 07.02.13 at 7:50 pm }

The food truck is ONLY using MC inspired menu, no MC muppets will be present…

The truck is making it’s 1st appearance this Thursday… good way to loose loyal customers LOL

Good thing I never buy food from that truck :-)

Pop up restaurant is good when the contestants are good cooks… this year will not sell out well, unless people are crazy

21 Daisy { 07.02.13 at 8:34 pm }

Just got back from VAT2 Bunbury where we had crab croquettes and eggplant fritters (with the fancy sauces). And am writing this because the owner gave us free ginger and lime creme broulle with home made ice cream. And the top of the creme broulle cracked. I learned that from watching MKR and MC. It was delicious. We felt very spoilt.

22 Littlepetal { 07.02.13 at 8:37 pm }

Daisy, I am hungry now.

23 Georgie { 07.02.13 at 9:45 pm }

Didn’t Jowlsy look like a natural out-doorsy type tonight, with his 10 gallon hat atop his 10,000 gallon body. JR Preston.

24 Anna { 07.02.13 at 10:07 pm }

Georgie, Jowlsy looked like he was wearing a donut floaty :-)

25 Georgie { 07.02.13 at 10:14 pm }

Lol Anna and there was no water in sight.

26 brain dead dave { 07.02.13 at 10:15 pm }

Cattle Battle or Beef Grief tonight on Ma$terfly?

27 Georgie { 07.02.13 at 10:20 pm }

An outback cookout back…

28 brain dead dave { 07.02.13 at 10:27 pm }

….that most would back out of.

“Would you like flies with that?”

29 Georgie { 07.02.13 at 10:32 pm }

Lol just realised what Masterfly meant. Very appetising wasn’t it – yummy bits.

I wrote that before I saw your last sentence too.

30 brain dead dave { 07.02.13 at 10:37 pm }

Some of the flies had a sweet tooth and were hitting the crumble hard, too. Ma$terchef has finally created a buzz this season.Well done,$hine!

31 Georgie { 07.02.13 at 10:41 pm }

I was worried about a couple of flies on the raw meat Lynton was cutting up but that was minor compared to how many were sitting all over the cooked meals. Gastro – come on down!

32 daisy { 07.02.13 at 10:46 pm }

I just saw Lynton’s lucky socks. With those and his puffy sleevless jacket, it’s official. He’s a dag.

33 daisy { 07.02.13 at 10:47 pm }

Jowlsy is burgeoning. Sooooweeee.

34 Georgie { 07.02.13 at 10:50 pm }

Jowlsy had a puffy sleeveless jacket too, on his puffy armed body. I wouldn’t have thought he had room for additional puff.

35 daisy { 07.02.13 at 10:52 pm }

And saddle bags.

36 Oshada { 07.02.13 at 10:52 pm }

Quite surprised that Masterchef is the top trending topic on Twitter, without being promoted!

37 daisy { 07.02.13 at 10:55 pm }

Ooooh. What was that massive drip hanging from Totem’s nose and did it land in the food.

38 Littlepetal { 07.02.13 at 10:57 pm }

How can Jowlsy has any more room for a puffy jacket.

39 Georgie { 07.02.13 at 10:57 pm }

#36 – That is a surprise given the ratings. The flies probably did it.

Daisy #37 – it wouldn’t matter, the flies would still enjoy it.

40 daisy { 07.02.13 at 11:24 pm }

Lynton did a good job, but it looks like he got suckered with his team this round. Bummer for him as they chose him.

41 Eliza { 07.03.13 at 12:29 am }

I thought Lynton had a good team and I was going for them for the win but it wasn’t to be. Maybe Rishi was the mole tonight over cooking that meat.

Inconsistent as it was, I am glad that only a few had to go up for elimination. I don’t want to see Christina go, but will be happy for it to be Totem. I don’t like his attitude at all.

42 emp { 07.03.13 at 12:34 am }

Lynton should’ve have gone into elimination, Apprentice style

43 Littlepetal { 07.03.13 at 12:35 am }

I am with you, Eliza. I hope Totem goes tomorrow night. He isn’t such a great cook.

44 daisy { 07.03.13 at 1:23 am }

Yes, out of those three; totally Totem.
I’m glad Lynton didn’t end up in the 3 as he seemed to have the best dish of the blue group.

45 daisy { 07.03.13 at 1:24 am }

I guess Lynton can thank his lucky socks.

46 Littlepetal { 07.03.13 at 1:25 am }

Ha ha, Daisy

47 daisy { 07.03.13 at 2:06 am }

48 Alec C { 07.03.13 at 6:29 am }

Not only did rishi put a yogurt marinade on a prime cut of beef but he also overcooked it.. Totem when you buy a box of ribs sauce is in the bag already, why the late sauce – he is really over his head.

Christina sweet potatoes NOT cooked on the open fire directly..

for once everyone will agree the bottom 3 is 100% correct in this instance.

TWIST only 1 person remains O.o (IF ONLY) at the elimination!

49 Joseph Skyrim { 07.03.13 at 9:12 am }

Another fly swarm episode – yuck! Cooking wise I think the correct people went into elimination, though I question why Samira’s “dessert” got served in the first place.

50 daisy { 07.03.13 at 9:20 am }

Samira seems to have great pride in her ability to cook but I haven’t it backed up on the plate.