The Block – Foyers And Powder Rooms Judged – And The Winners Were….

Reality TV is not real, how can Kim still look absolutely stunning with a killer hangover. Her eyes were not even bleary and there was barely a hair out of place.  Was she previously a model?

Kim did end up spending most of the day prior to the room reveal in bed recovering after a night out with the other Block contestants. Apparently one of the twins had tied one on as well but was feeling “surprisingly OK”.

It was judgement day for the contestant’s foyers and powder rooms, with Madi having another meltdown/sook over what colour to paint the bamboo tiles. She ended up taking advice from the electrician who looked like he could not care less. After painting it many shades of white, she ended up going with a last minute grey paint job. To say the judges disliked it was an understatement. Though I did find it bizarre that judge Shaynna Blaze scored them a seven for a room where she said they needed to start all over again.

Also since everyone else had put their laundry in this week’s powder room it even made it more bizarre their laundry was off their living area.

John McGrath who was a subbing for Neale Whittaker this week thought Trixie and Johnno’s foyer was too polarising, people were either going to love it or hate it. I was not a fan of the wall paper, it reminded me of Matt and Kim’s bed head. Also the built in coat rack was bizarre, these apartments are meant to be about minimalism not walking in and seeing coats and hats hanging off a stick.

The same goes for Matt and Kim’s hat stand as well. However their walls had a lot more warmth, and their choices of artwork are always good.

Bec was right to have a whinge about being scored the same as Madi and Jarrod as their hallway was not as hokey. Yes it was a bit cold with the white tiles but I thought the print they picked was great.

Finally the twins had Shirian who had made a wooden doors and had busted his guts for them this week, however his consolation prize is that he is promoting products on TV, something Kev the foreman has not been able to cash in on. Shaynna loved all the storage and the use of mirrors. The girls again had done a great job and had managed to fit a washer and dryer in the laundry.

At first it looked like Matt and Kim might pull off their second win but again the girls won showing that you can be an all girl team and be a force in a renovation show.

Which foyer/powder room did you like the best?

1 Ari { 07.01.13 at 3:30 pm }

A surprise win. I honestly get a bit iffy about what the “market” wants. I love and enjoy the commissioned artwork Matt & Kim had but had to let it go because the “market wouldn’t like it”. I guess a good thing considering it was a great piece and I’d hate it to be used in an apartment where people wouldn’t appreciate it but still. Are the markets a bunch of rich and “classy” and tasteless people?

Madi & Jarrod’s foyer was…not good at all. That powder room was fit for a laundry and I agree putting it in the lounge area is not something I’d go for – however it was a good space for ventilation.

I always go for Matt & Kim’s rooms since they appeal to me the most. Very young, fresh, hip and clean/modern take on things which is very nice. Hopefully their buyers will appreciate the artworks they’ve added.

Bec & George’s foyer reminds me of those Ugly Betty/Devil Wears Prada entry areas because of the framed lights. It would look very nice in a public office but not so much for a homely apartment. I understand Bec’s frustration however. Me being an architecture student and all, it always irks me when I get low grades and not enough constructive criticism to tell me how I got what I got.

2 AJ { 07.01.13 at 4:18 pm }

I agree that the best foyer won, even though I’m not a fan of the twins. It had great storage, looked stylish and the only ugly elements (like the neon coloured accessories) could be easily replaced.

I didn’t mind Matt and Kim’s foyer and Trixie and Johnno’s foyer. I’d probably prefer Trixie and Johnno’s because it would be easier to replace the wallpaper than it would be to remove Matt’s feature wall.

I thought it was incredibly unfair that Bec and George received the same score as Maddie and Jarrod. I agree that the foyer looked like a commercial space, but it was still leaps and bounds ahead of Maddie and Jarrod. A “warmer” colour on the walls and a different rug would have easily fixed Bec and George’s foyer. Maddie and Jarrod’s foyer would require a lot more work to be presentable.

From memory, I also liked the twin’s laundry/powder room the best. It had a separate washer and dryer and both were hidden behind doors. Trixie and Johnno’s laundry was okay, but their washer and dryer were on view. Matt and Kim’s was also okay, although the mirror was a little extreme and the stick on roll holder was ugly.

3 Sue N { 07.01.13 at 4:19 pm }

it’s really a “challenges and occasional styling” show, not a renovation show- at least not by the contestants. It seems to be more about who has the best builder sometimes! Much prefer House Rules, altho’ a little disappointed the final decision is by public vote…

4 Anna { 07.01.13 at 6:54 pm }

Twins are renovating smart, thinking about the buyer.

They had the best reviews but the scores weren’t so high…

Expected so much more from Madi since she is a graphic designer, but even she is not happy with what she does

Bec and George are grating on my nerves. Bec’s whining how they don’t have money and they don’t get why they don’t win is annoying

When the judges say they don’t like X, pay attention and change it. When she is criticized she is not happy & I have a feeling both of them have random selective memory.

Matt and Kim, what the hell are they doing on the show??? Totally clueless what people might want in a luxury apartment & are doing their own thing. Kept on hoping for weeks the penny will drop that they aren’t renovating for themselves

Trixie is just annoying, and far too removed from reality. In a year we’ll be wondering who Trixie is

5 Anonymous { 07.01.13 at 7:43 pm }

Change the judges!

6 Maz { 07.01.13 at 11:42 pm }

What is with the multiple toilets. Really, they didn’t need yet another toilet and this time in the laundry.

Madi comes across as simple and is not doing herself or her career as a graphic designer any favours.

You can understand Bec’s frustration. M&J are told to redo their lobby but get the same scores B&G.

The judges don’t seem to distinguish between accessories and fixtures which is annoying.

7 Zhee { 07.02.13 at 5:50 am }

The entry area of the twins looked great. Deserved win. Johnno and Trixie, well, the sideboard I liked, the rug…. not. The wallpaper was so-so. M&J’s was simply bland. I think the tiles were cool but wrong color. The powder room looked fantastic, that’s why they were on the same score as Bec and George in the end.
Matt and Kim, well… I kind of get their style but I don’t think it works for this type of project. A loft maybe in the city – perfect.

Btw it’s annoying how they whine about their budgets. Trixie made so much drama about it that they handed her over a room win. At least they didn’t do it with Bec and George…

What I understand is that they need more constructive criticism, on the other hand we only see a small part of the comments I suppose. Even if it is negative criticism it at least gives you a hint what was wrong with your work. Then it is up to you to figure out how you can make it work the next time.

As for Trixie… please stop laughing. It always reminds me of a squealing pig. :/ In the beginning I thought she’s adorable but as the competition progressed, she lost points. She seems jealous and does not grant anything to anyone else than herself.

8 Sue N { 07.02.13 at 7:17 am }

I agree that Trixie’s laugh is annoying, but I don’t think she is any more jealous or whatever than any of the others. Please remember that she has helped to organize/celebrate some of the milestones (birthdays etc) during their time there.

she has also stated just last night, that if they happen to win the holiday- they are giving it to Bec &George- I fail to see how that is anything but generous and selfless.

The twins rooms are good, but I hate some of their art (easy enough to change I suppose) and I thoroughly dislike what I see as their smug attitude.

I really disliked the “prank” they (with twitchy and Kim) played on Mati & Jarrod. not funny for anyone, let alone for this couple who don’t have a builder and are doing a lot of it themselves. Any idiot can see how exhausted Jarrod is, and to play a prank that meant they stayed up all night was stupid & cruel. Even my daughter (who likes the twins) disagreed with this effort and thought the pranksters should have been punished.

I do not like Matt- ewww, altho he did win some points with me last night with his critique on who should have won- quite surprised me that he was so objective really. their style is more suited to a loft too- very good point IMO.

I like some of Johnno and Trixie’s work, some not so much. Bec made that coat stand look so much better just by hanging some clothes on it. It looked fine then- to me anyway.

I still think it is more a styling show than a renovating show- for the contestants at least. I do watch it, but recorded and ff past all the shit !!!! (of which there is a lot 😉 )

9 Zhee { 07.02.13 at 7:58 am }

Sorry, it was not very clear what I meant. :/ I think she doesn’t grant the room and challenge wins to others than herself. She sometimes still doesn’t see why her own rooms failed and she seems to put the fault on he judges only. The problem is that she should have done the same as the twins. Checking out with a real estate agent what the market wants esp regarding the penthouse. I first thought she and her husband or Bec will win due to the so stories but the more we see revealed from the rooms, I guess the twins might win. They are clever and they source everything properly. So far, they seem actually to be the only ones who research a lot.

I haven’t seen the newest episode yet, only the judging and the twins definitely did best in my opinion. But still I’d like to own the sideboard Trixie used in her foyer. 😀

10 Gabby { 07.02.13 at 9:37 am }

I liked the twins foyer and powder room the best and thought it a deserved win. They have a great adviser who rarely leads them in the wrong direction. Was not amused with the prank they played on M and J, I am sure they would not have taken it in good spirits if it was played on them. Also as mentioned by Sue N I do not like their smug attitude which is coming across loud and clear.

11 Anna { 07.02.13 at 3:15 pm }

Watching last nights encore. I get it that everyone is pissed off with the fact that twins won again

Then again, twins are doing their homework… thinking of the buyer. Others are thinking of what they’ll like if the place was theirs

Hopefully next season contestants will learn from their mistakes

12 Gabby { 07.02.13 at 4:37 pm }

Exactly right Anna the twins are getting advice of what the buyer wants but the others are doing what they would like. Big NO, it doesn’t work that way, when are they going to work that one out. I really cannot believe that they haven’t already.

13 Anna { 07.02.13 at 5:04 pm }

Gabby, neither can I! After week two the penny should have dropped… Sadly it’s the last week and most are still bitching

What the frick was Trixie thinking when she installed a poll in the foyer? Then the wallpaper again!!!! Personally I hate wall paper, in a hotel when on holidays doesn’t worry me, in my own place I’d tear it down asap…

Matt and his polished concrete walls, again what the????

14 Eliza { 07.02.13 at 5:27 pm }

As much as I don’t love the twins, everyone is right – they are ultimately making the best decisions when it comes to appealing to the broadest market possible, and giving the majority what they expect from a high end apartment. That’s not to say that someone with more ‘quirky’ or ‘edgy’ taste may come in and pay as much as possible to get their hands of J&T’s or M&K’s place. When it comes down to it though, the more people that want your apartment the better when it’s an auction!! If one person LOVES it, they aren’t going to drive the price up themselves.

The twins definitely have some good advisers around. They say they aren’t creative, however putting rooms together like they have requires creativity (maybe not as much as M&K though)… unless they are getting some serious help. They did say that the wood in the foyer was Shiran’s idea. I think they did well getting him on board.

Overall, the twins had the best foyer. It was smart and contemporary and clean without being cold and uninviting. Loved the storage and I love wood so that was a winner for me. You don’t need an ugly coat rack when you have loads of cupboards! Smart choice.

I L.O.V.E.D J&T’s wallpaper.. I would have that in my house any day but don’t think it was the best choice for this type of apartment or space in particular. Even the wall tiles they had in their first bedroom would have been more foyer-ish and they could have put the wallpaper in that bedroom. The coat rack was hmph. I didn’t mind the sideboard itself but again not for a penthouse apartment IMO. I would have gone with something retro.

B&G had a good idea but poor execution. Too cold and yes, very office like. They could definitely improve it with the changes Shaynna mentioned and I hope they do.

Did not like M&K’s as their style, most of the time, just isn’t me.. too cold and trying to be cool all the time. Don’t mind the artwork and loved the artwork they got as their prize from that gallery with the soft pastel colours running through it. I do like their flooring though.

Poor M&J seem to have really lost it. Their foyer was not good at all and the grey wasn’t a good choice. I think they are caving under the pressure and questioning themselves too much. I actually liked the wall feature white and they could bring colour in another way. I hope they can improve it.

15 Eliza { 07.02.13 at 5:30 pm }

Gabby, I can’t believe they haven’t worked out that they aren’t buying the apartment themselves either! In saying that, the different styles does give us something different to look at, but they could still do this but tone it down.

16 Techhater { 07.03.13 at 4:21 pm }

I posted a couple of weeks ago about the time frame of TB. As to whether they’re really doing each week in 7 days. Last night’s ep when the twins had their big argument, one of them said “what do you think i’ve been doing for the last 10 weeks?” and yet it’s only Week 7.
I noted that in Week 3 or 4 someone said that they’d been there 5 weeks.

I take into consideration that all were sent home for a week when Bec’s mum died. But TB’s calendar did not include it.

Maybe this is why Shaynna bangs on all the time about reminding herself that “They did this in only 7 days.” I think she’s trying to convince us that it IS ONLY 7 days, when in reality it’s not.

17 Anna { 07.03.13 at 4:24 pm }

When Bec’s mum passed away they were all given a week off