The Mole – Interesting But Not An Attention Grabbing First Episode

I have to confess this is the first time I have really watched The Mole so I come into with fresh eyes and enthusiasm. However I thought it started off slow but there was enough in the first episode to get me to tune in again.

Not straight out of the blocks frenetic activity like The Amazing Race Australia does.

To be fair it is a different format where the twelve contestants have to try and flush out who the mole is. Also first episodes are always difficult as there are all new contestants who we are trying to get to know and in this case as well the host, Shura Taft.

The winner of the show can get up to $250,000. However to get that money they have to complete challenges and in them The Mole’s role is to sabotage them.

Five minutes in I realised this would be a reality TV show I would never go on. Too much physical exertion with too little cash prize. After the first episode there is barely $4000 in the prize pot.

The show started with them split into three teams blindfolded then dumped in the middle of nowhere and told to find their way to a flag on a beach. Each team that did it in the allotted two hour time frame would get $5000 for the prize pot. The second challenge was to rope walk over a ravine with each pair crossing they would get $500 for the prize pot.

Few quick thoughts about the episode:

• At first I thought they had been dumped in Roxby Downs and I thought this will be very interesting indeed, but no it was at a beach;
  • All the cast look like they have been cast because they are assertive. Props to Ally for not being shy on telling people what she thinks. Considering two of the males on her team thought a majority vote was when the males decide what to. Alex the engineer decided they would be able to make it to the flag in time so pulled the help card where a car came and collected them. The girls were right when they said they had another hour to get there;
  • It was ironic the team to make it to the flag first were the only ones that arrived with their luggage;
  • Ally also lost it at Kerrie the HR manager who was nominated treasurer who had decided to sacrifice half of the prize pot to get herself an exemption from the elimination quiz;
  • Which raises the question how are they going to make watching do a quiz on a computer interesting;
  • The editing of the challenges need to be snappier as it felt too drawn out;
  • The most interesting contestants at the moment are Nick, Alex, Ally and Shaun just looks like a douche.

At this point I have no idea who the mole but suspect is not one of the obvious one.

What did you  think will you be tuning in again? Who do you think is the mole?

1 daisy { 07.04.13 at 12:54 am }

I take that back. He ended up looking quite smart. Emma’s making her boy into a princess. And Ruth’s guy is a wa* ker.

2 Techhater { 07.04.13 at 12:56 am }

Daisy Ruth is obviously ULTRA orthodox. I want Emma and Stacey to be final 2.

Cold Fact = first album I ever bought. And who could forget his 2nd album, “Coming from Reality.” apparently Rodriguez has had a HUGE resurgence in recent years and would you believe it’s in South Africa. Who would’ve thought?

3 daisy { 07.04.13 at 1:02 am }

I think I like Tracey. She’s a dag. And Emma because she’ a perfectionist.

I haven’t heard coming from reality. I’ll check it out.

I don’t mind Ruth being Orthodox. But she is obnoxious.

4 Techhater { 07.04.13 at 1:02 am }

Daisy wait for the date and you’ll see exactly what a w*nker he really is Lol.

5 Techhater { 07.04.13 at 1:10 am }

Agree about her being obnoxious. Maybe that’s why she’s divorced. It’s not Kosher to be divorced unless adultry committed. She would be a really hard woman to live with no matter what her culture.

6 daisy { 07.04.13 at 1:12 am }

Daniel is WORSE? What a rude, bad tempered, arrogant egotist.
He was rude to the staff. Spoilt brat.
But the other guys are sweet.

7 Techhater { 07.04.13 at 1:19 am }

That poor girl you could see the pain on her face. She was in AGONY during the main course. I wonder if she’ll end up with her long lost friend.

I’m sorry i’m a few comments behind. It takes a while for my phone to process comments.

8 daisy { 07.04.13 at 1:28 am }

Wow. Thanks for putting me on to this show, TH. I loved tonight’s episode.
I think Emma might win, but I live Tracey. She’s so warm.

9 Techhater { 07.04.13 at 1:34 am }

Daisy You’re welcome. I called Tracey *Stacey* before but as I said her and Emma are my faves as well. Only 2 more eps to go.

It’s time for me to go to bed.

10 daisy { 07.04.13 at 1:34 am }

Ruth and Daniel were very similar. They both had very poor social and self awareness. They would both leave a situation believing their failure to relate is someone elsee’s fault.

11 daisy { 07.04.13 at 1:35 am }

Me too. Night.

12 Andrea { 07.04.13 at 7:32 am }

I’m thinking Sam for the mole, he definitely gave a little smirk on that rope thing.

13 Georgie { 07.04.13 at 8:35 am }

He’s my pick too Andrea @#27.

14 Christina { 07.04.13 at 8:37 am }

Had the exact same thought as RR – that first ep dragged, but then also remembered it was a slower paced and different show to the exciting Amazing Race. Didn’t help the first challenge wasn’t a very exciting one, but the scenery was pretty and I guess was a good way to introduce the many characters. I fast forwarded through some of the high ropes too, but on the other hand the slower pace allows to dissect actions and search for clues. The host doesn’t add excitement either, going for more a relaxed and cruisy attitude. But I wouldn’t wish he do the reality tv usual drawn out over the top commentary either! It’s a bit of shame the contestants are all acting like the Mole, but it’s a good tactic as was proven in past series.

Too early to tell, but maybe Nick or Alex. Time will tell!

15 daisy { 07.04.13 at 11:02 am }

Christina, Nick is on my maybe list.

16 Christina { 07.04.13 at 8:14 pm }

I think Sam’s too obvious. Same with Kerrie. However it was pretty suss the dropped the champagne stack. Although it was a champagne stack, so maybe not surprising to drop it! It was Kerrie who quickly mentioned the glass didn’t break and the 10sec rule, so she saved them in the end.

17 Anonymous { 09.26.13 at 12:17 am }

The Mole Is Hilal or Erin !