Masterchef Australia – The Beef Challenge

Jules needs to reign her ego in, I like her moxy but when she decided to go on Emma’s team  said to her ” You owe me one!”. It would have been a bit embarrassing if she had stuffed up.

The reason why she was so happy with the challenge of cooking on the outdoor campfires, is she had done a lot of camping.

The contestants were taken to a farm after an early morning work out in the gym, no shots of Rishi bench pressing unfortunately, but we did see Gary Mehigan doing a few minutes on a bicycle.

The challenge was to cook beef dishes for the farm’s workers. I am sure half of the people viewing were hanging for a steak after this.

Emma and Lynton were appointed captains as they both grew up on beef farms. Not sure why this would help with cooking. This meant Emma has been captain twice now, but this time she was far more confident. Jules was first to pick which team to go on it was interesting to see who went with whom. I suspect some steered clear of teams where they did not get on with people. Noelene even though she does not like Totem headed to the boys teams as did Lucy and Pip. Poor Neha was one of the last to get a choice so did not get one and had to go with the red team.

It was mainly ended up being a  guys (blue) team and girls (red) team. Christina decided to ditch the sisterhood and went with the guys.

Each team were allowed 60 kgs of produce. Red team were 10 kilos over so they had ditched dessert. It also meant they were back later to the outdoor kitchen.

The red team’s  menu was Middle Eastern Spiced Porthouse., Sticky Ribs, Tomalhawk’s, and an Italian stew. Along with roasted sweet potato and potato and salads.

The blue team was yoghurt marinaded sirloin, ribs, beef stew, and rib eyes with salsa verde.

Totem seems to be taking his mentoring from George seriously as  he stuck his  finger in the sauce and licked it. Probably even worse then usual as there did not appear to be a sink around.

Rishi and Totem were arguing over when to put the sauce  on the ribs on but Totem ignored Rishi’s advice to put it on.  Totem  was then bitching about Rishi’s yoguhurt marinade on his steak. Christina was having difficulty with cooking her sweet potato it was going all mushy she had not taken Lynton’s advice to cook the sweet potatoes whole.

Samira  towards the end decided to make a dessert out of one piece of rhubarb, a pomegranate, walnuts and sweet potato. It was a good effort however Emma burnt the crumble top. They decided to serve it anyway.

This challenge it was the judges deciding on a winner, not the farmers voting. The red team was first. Gary liked the stew and the roast sweet potato and potatoes.  He liked the flavour of the ribs but thought they were a bit chewy. Daniel’s rib eye was cooked perfectly and their sirloin looked great.  They did not like the crumble at all.

The blue team had a mixed reception Gary liked the Beef stew, but did not like Christina’s sweet potato. Rishi’s sirloin was over cooked. The farmer thought the  herb yoghurt marinade was unnecessary. The Fruit Crunch/crumble was a really good dish.

To be fair both teams food looked great.

In the end it came down to how the beef was cooked and the red team won.

The kicker for the blue team was they had to pick three to go into the elimination challenge. It was made easy for them as the judges had highlighted Totem, Rishi and Christina as the ones that had let the team down. At one stage it looked like Lynton being noble and was going to step up but clearly he was told to get down off the plank.

It looks like a cracker challenge tonight with Rishi, Totem and Christina doing a service challenge to stay in the competition.

1 brain dead dave { 07.03.13 at 11:19 am }

Here’s an idea $hine….Why not have this kind of challenge at night,when there aren’t any ****ing flies about?

Otherwise , let the flies vote. Seemed to me the larger blowies preferred the raw meat Lynton and Emma had ,while the small bushflies went for the cooked food and hovering around George’s mouth. How many of the flies would have spent the morning lazing on cowpats before the Ma$terchef juggernaut arrived?

RR, Totem’s finger licking was a nauseating lowlight, $hine aren’t helping by backing up the vomiting the other night with a fly extravaganza.

I expect Toto to go tonight. Christina’s in a world of pain in the promos …and we know what that means.

2 Dr T { 07.03.13 at 11:20 am }

I’m banking on Rishi being safe tonight, I think he can probably handle the pressure best of these three (that being said Christina did make lolly bags before)…

Rishi – if you’re reading… just wink if you’re safe

3 Georgie { 07.03.13 at 11:24 am }

“… no shots of Rishi bench pressing unfortunately, but we did see Gary Mehigan doing a few minutes on a bicycle.”

RR, are you saying that seeing Gary do a few minutes on a bicycle is some sort of compensation for not seeing Rishi on the benchpress? ROFPML – get a grip girl!

4 brain dead dave { 07.03.13 at 11:27 am }

It’s not like Gary can do chin-ups, after all. He doesn’t have one.

I can just see Gary in lycra , huffing and puffing doing the Tour de France. He’d make our thyme trial team , perhaps.

5 daisy { 07.03.13 at 11:33 am }

No shots of Jowlsy in the steam room?

6 Georgie { 07.03.13 at 11:33 am }

Maybe Gary could bench press Jowlsey, he’s a dead weight.

7 Rishi { 07.03.13 at 11:34 am }

😉 😉

8 brain dead dave { 07.03.13 at 11:35 am }

Jowl$y tried to eat the horse that was in the gym.

9 Georgie { 07.03.13 at 11:39 am }

Lol bdd, I think he succeeded.

10 daisy { 07.03.13 at 11:41 am }

He ate the exercise ball, or had it stuffed under his shirt.

11 brain dead dave { 07.03.13 at 11:42 am }

Since a pack mule can only carry 60 kgs of supplies, clearly Jowl$y could never have survived as a drover.

12 daisy { 07.03.13 at 11:46 am }

No he’d just have to stand around in his designer drover gear chewing straw out of the corner of his mouth.
Looking like Uluru.

13 brain dead dave { 07.03.13 at 11:51 am }

Jowluru.

14 Littlepetal { 07.03.13 at 11:52 am }

They said it was 34 degrees and Jowlsy wearing a puffy vest. Must be to hide the medicine ball that he has swallowed.

15 daisy { 07.03.13 at 11:55 am }

LOL you guys.

16 Georgie { 07.03.13 at 11:55 am }

Stop it you guys, I’m at work trying to sort out a storeroom and I can’t stop laughing.

17 Littlepetal { 07.03.13 at 11:57 am }

Get back to work, Georgie. Keep the phone in the freezer to chill out a bit :)

18 Joseph Skyrim { 07.03.13 at 12:03 pm }

The flies were a big turn off for me (as usual). Rishi should be ok unless he makes bad judgement calls again tonight. Methinks Totem is going too. Not really a bad thing since he’s getting a minor villain edit.

19 brain dead dave { 07.03.13 at 12:09 pm }

“Don’t let this cattle battle have you rattled” prattled Preston.

Don’t hamper the damper,Neha.

Tune in tonight to see if Totem can save his scrotum.

20 Rosie { 07.03.13 at 12:10 pm }

BDD’s first post reminds me of an old joke:
Two flies are sitting on a poo when one farted. The second fly is deeply offended, saying, “Do you mind, I’m trying to eat here!”

On the whole I didn’t mind the show last night. As soon as they said the Blues had overcooked their steak, I figured they should be the losers, and thus it was. So seemed fair enough to ne. And my sweet Lynton (hi cutie!) didn’t stuff up, so I’m happy.

Tonight should be rather interesting. Bye bye Totem. I doubt you’ll be missed somehow.

21 Littlepetal { 07.03.13 at 12:11 pm }

MC has a new cookbook out. It is something about the cookbook for home cooks. What happens to the best cooks in the country. Because the cookbook is out so early, I only saw recipes from Faiza ( gone) Clarissa (gone) and 2 more recipes from this season’s contestants. It also have many recipes from the Junior MC contestants.

22 daisy { 07.03.13 at 12:12 pm }

ROFL @ BDD?
I’ll bet there is some loud laughter coming from the store room.

23 daisy { 07.03.13 at 12:18 pm }

Q: I just heard a TV host use the word “amazeballs”. I am trying to remember who first coined the word. Was it Vesna from BB?
Who has the best memory here?

24 daisy { 07.03.13 at 12:22 pm }

A Googled it. Perez Hilton.
Stupid word.

25 Techhater { 07.03.13 at 1:58 pm }

A note to the producers of MC.

Let’s have a format where every contestant cooks individually. Each dish is tasted. Worst dish goes into elimination repeat for 4 days. Elimination cook off with blind tasting, worst dish goes.

For “ammunity” the best dish from each day goes into cook off with blind tasting, best dish gets pin.

It’s just a thought.

26 Andrea { 07.03.13 at 2:21 pm }

Sounds like a perfect solution Techhater, don’y know why the producers don’t take notice of us.
I don’t mind one challenge a week but not every night.

27 Anna { 07.03.13 at 4:13 pm }

Dave, thank you for your comments, as always gold!!!

Was surprised that George wasn’t chewing hay to keep the insects away

Cattle brought with them gazzillion flies, god knows how many have rode piggy back on their bums….

Good thing I was watching that train-wreck and the block at same time… sadly managed to catch fly fest

28 Anna { 07.03.13 at 4:24 pm }
29 Carole { 07.03.13 at 5:06 pm }

Well I like my meat well done, so Rishi’s steak would have been perfectly cooked for me. But don’t get the yoghurt marinade. Hate yoghurt and don’t want it anywhere near my steak. As for Totem, everyone knows you marinade ribs before you cook them, that’s how they get their flavour. He really fucked up there, the judges commented on it.

Neha doing dough again!!!!!!! When will she learn? STAY AWAY FROM DOUGHY THINGS!!!! Although when they first took it out, it looked perfectly cooked, till they turned it over. Matt missed it with that stew.

I thought all the food looked good too.

I agree Daisy, hate that word amazeballs. So many stupid words around these days. Maybe I’m showing my age. People don’t talk proper any more.

30 Georgie { 07.03.13 at 5:56 pm }

Rishi being Indian, may have thought that cooking on an open fire/hot coals, was like a tandoor and the meat is marinated in yoghurt for tandoori dishes. Just a thought.

31 Sandii { 07.03.13 at 8:28 pm }

Oh I can’t watch this train wreck on MC. I feel like they are put well above their capabilities. MC is losing the fun the show once had.

32 Eliza { 07.04.13 at 12:22 am }

Yess! Bye bye Totem! I found him waaaay too smug and his cooking didn’t match all his talk.. “I cook this all the time at home”, then doesn’t do a good job. The judges did like his muscles, but it was crazy how many times Matt had to tell him how he wanted them cooked because he doesn’t listen! Very glad Rishi and Christina were safe and seemed as though the producers/judges wanted them in too.

33 daisy { 07.04.13 at 12:36 am }

It was easily predictable that Totem would go.

34 Alec C { 07.04.13 at 3:56 am }

Vern bug eyed emma jules amenia jr kelty- hurry up and get eliminated – produces play a cruel joke – bottom 6 dishes will go into elimination and they all get cut :)

Good reddens to Totem he was rubbish

35 Robl { 07.04.13 at 4:28 am }

Go away Jules, you’re not the star of the show you clearly think you are.

36 Sandii { 07.04.13 at 7:03 am }

I think the sad part is the show is geared unto have people fail not to showcase (at whatever level) their cooking .

37 Simone { 07.04.13 at 7:10 am }

Rishi is soooooo good to watch and listen to. Love the accent. He looks really kind too.
Don’t much care about the standard of cooking on this year’s show, it’s soo crap compared to earlier years.

38 Joseph Skyrim { 07.04.13 at 8:24 am }

Oh man, just for pure insubordination Totem should have been eliminated (as in, while the challenge was going). You don’t say “yes chef” and then proceed to NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. Somewhat karmic that his arrogance led to his own defeat.

39 Anna { 07.04.13 at 9:10 am }

When Matt says ‘keep the pan on the stove’ he means keep the flipping pan on the stove & not follow your gut feeling

Everything Totem said he’s been doing since he was young he stuffed up

Love the concept of the restaurant … Visited Sydney pop up one last year….

Everything is recyclable … No waste