Australia’s Next Top Model Kicks Off With 50 But Whittles Down To 15

Australia’s Next Top Model started tonight after a years hiatus with a new host Jennifer Hawkins.

It kicked off with a top 50 boot camp which quickly saw half the girls eliminated after they were seen without make up and they were given a quick going over by the judges. Then it was a walking over a wobbly plank and a convict photo shoot and we had our top fifteen.

A few quick thoughts about the episode:

• Clearly I don’t have the “model” eye as when they told the weeping Taylor she was one of the favourites I thought “huh?”.
  • Jennifer Hawkins seems like she is an able replacement for Sarah Murdoch and should gain more confidence as the series continues;
  • Love Didier, but they did that made him look crazed when they introduced him to the models just before they walked the plank? Also I was mesmerised by the whiteness of Jennifer and Didier’s teeth;
  • Speaking of the plank it appeared to get more droopy and unbalanced as the challenge went along, which must have made it harder for the girls who had to strut later in the challenge;
  • Pretty good that the top 15 will be flying straight to Thailand, though it must be the new trend in Next Top Model as the first challenge in the British series was set in Dubai.

Top 15 girls are:

Abbie, Shanali, Dajana, Rhiannon, Chanique, Ashley, Brooke , Taylor, Madeline, Jade, Duckie, Shannon, Melissa, and April.

What did you think of the first episode?

Australia’s Next Top Model is on Tuesday night on Fox 8

1 daisy { 07.27.13 at 10:21 pm }

Did they HAVE to shop at the markets. The best clothes and at great prices are in the dept stores. They overcaharge on the stalls and sell tourist crap.

2 daisy { 07.27.13 at 10:25 pm }

Charlotte was dead wrong about there being a big choice of shoes at the markets. Most stalls have the same stuff. But the main problem is that 39 is usually the biggest size and tall girls like that would be 42+.

3 daisy { 07.27.13 at 10:57 pm }

Sulky Taylor needs to go. She was behaving like a diva and looked too mousey.

4 daisy { 07.27.13 at 11:05 pm }

Sulky Taylor needs to go. She was behaving like a diva and looked too mousey.

Oh from your recentcomments I see that I am still one ep behind.
Does anyone recall the girl in the top 50 who they praised for losing a lot of weight? She ended up looking anorexic so I don’t think they should have encouraged her.

5 Andrea { 07.28.13 at 8:33 am }

Did you sign up to Foxtel Daisy?
Glad you are finally watching it and will be able to join in the discussions, sounds like you are one episode behind so I hope you get to see it before Tuesday night’s episode.
Do you think we were right about Christina Ritchie?
I wasn’t liking Rhianna’s disrespect to Buddhism either, the others seemed to enjoy the experience though.

6 daisy { 07.28.13 at 10:28 am }

Yes I still have one more ep to watch. We have it though. W just dls and runs it through the comp.
I thought Chrictina Ricci immediately with that foreheead. It was only afterwards that I vaguely recalled you guys saying.
Did you see the girls’ faces after ep 2 as the girls were being called out. You could see who they liked and were happy to have back. Their faces fell when sulky mousey Taylor got through.
I will probaby watch 3 today.
Also Idon’t think the clothes, hair, make up, make over and photos are anywhere near the level of BNTM.

7 Andrea { 07.31.13 at 2:36 pm }

Rhiannon went last night due to her not taking direction properly from the photographer and thinking she was better and more experienced with life skills than everyone else.
June Dally Watkins sure showed them a thing or two about how to act like a lady.
Wednesday Adams photo looked fantastic, the photographer said she had an unusual face.
I can’t wait to see the make over next week, I can’t imagine what they will do to some of these girls, we will probably see tantrums.

8 Gabby { 08.01.13 at 9:21 pm }

Wednesday was told by Alex Perry that she took best photograph he had ever seen in all the series of ANTM, quite an accolade coming from him. It was a beautiful photograph.
Thank goodness Rhiannon was sent home, far too full of herself, but apparently the judges didn’t think she was as good as she thought she was.
Most of them acted disgraceful at the afternoon tea party put on for them by June Dally Watkins, with Rhiannon being number one offender, throwing food.
I thought the girls looked stunning on the red carpet.

9 daisy { 08.03.13 at 6:05 pm }

I’m just watching it now. I don’t mind that I know the outcome.

We need a JDW school here in Bunbury to teach the girls not to be shrews.

Rachel Finch is beautiful. I think she has been having elocution lessons because her speech has improved. Jasinta Campbell needs to do so to because she says things like Oshtralia.

I am liking Asley, Shannon and Taylah. And the Italian(?) girl.

I’m glad Rachel mentioned the hunched shoulders. I always notice that on the other Top Model shows and think “You poor things, stand up straight or you are going to all have big hunches when you old”

10 daisy { 08.03.13 at 6:07 pm }

OMG I just realized. Shannon is Leslie Caron.

The Italian girl I like is Diana. Oh and Madeleine is lovely.

11 daisy { 08.03.13 at 6:14 pm }

Provided she doesn’t get sick, Ashley will smash this. She is so adorable, distinct and beautiful.

12 daisy { 08.03.13 at 6:21 pm }

Ha ha ha. Duckie just said,”I don’t look good. I look like Marcia Hines”.

13 Woolif { 08.03.13 at 6:22 pm }

June Dally Watkins wouldn’t approve of Charlotte Dawson’s tattoos.

14 daisy { 08.03.13 at 6:33 pm }

Diana was disadvantaged in her photo shoot by having to wear a cleaning lady’s dress. I thought her face looked lovely but the dress was harsh.

15 Eliza { 08.06.13 at 12:13 am }

Interesting Rhiannon went home – didn’t her relative say she got through to the top 9?? Wasn’t there talk in the media about a contestant being kicked out for bullying? Am I going crazy? Lol

Anyway, I wasn’t a fan of Rhiannon’s attitude, but I thought she was a much better model than Abbie and her attitude isn’t great either. I loled at Rhiannon saying how she was older and didn’t need the lessons the other girls did… She’s only 19, right?

Melissa’s photo was beautiful, but I’m not sure about her as a model. Ashley is one of my favourites and I also like Madeline. You can tell Jen likes her bc she is so pretty. Taylah has a strong face but agree with Didier then she only really has one look. Diana reminds me of J-lo!!!

Can’t wait for make overs either.. It’s the best part!

16 daisy { 08.06.13 at 12:34 am }

Eliza it was Jill who was a relative of Rhiannon.

Ashley is also my favourite. I also like Madeleine’s looks but she isn’t doing as well on the shoots. I am liking Taylah and Diana too. I thought the dress that Diana had to wear in the shoot made her look like a house cleaner.

I watched the US top model this week. That was good. I was really surprised by the eiction in that this week.

17 Eliza { 08.06.13 at 2:49 pm }

I haven’t watched the US version for quite a while.. I got sick of Tyra and some seasons there were too many bitch fights AND too much TV, so little time!

Ashley is a natural and seems really sweet. They all look so mature once done up.. Shanali is good too – she seems like a natural model as well.

18 daisy { 08.06.13 at 2:58 pm }

Her Indian looks make Shanali but I am used to seeing Indian women and they get way better looking than that. I like Rani Mukajee and Aswira Rai. Woolif and I enjoy Hindi movies.

I have only ever seen the US top model once before. Tyra seems harsh and nasty. There was another US modelling show on way back that was intersting. It had men and women and they weren’t really model types. They shared a house, had challenges and they were set up to see if they would perform acts of kindness.

19 Andrea { 08.07.13 at 5:20 pm }

The make overs looked very good except for Ducky who ended up with a buzz cut of pink hair. What is it that these shows always do this to at least one girl ( the British one did it too ), and I’m not being racist but they seem to do it to the African/American models.
Do the judges think it really looks that good? As we’ve said before, you would never catch Elle or Jennifer Hawkins doing that to their hair.
So cute to see tiny Melissa has a twin, I wanted to see more of them together, it would have been cool to see them both on the show.
It was a bit of a surprise to see two girls eliminated this time, won’t say who in case not everyone has seen it.

20 Izobel2 { 08.07.13 at 5:32 pm }

Oh I haven’t seen it yet, and love the makeover shows the most!!
Will watch it later this week. I can’t tape foxtel so it’s a big effort to catch it but I haven’t missed it yet!
Last week I was at my parents and caught up with ANTM by using my Dad’s IPAD Foxtel App thingo and carrying it round the house that was full of screaming kids and adults watching the footy!!

21 daisy { 08.07.13 at 5:37 pm }

I haven’t watched yet girls so am not reading comments yet.

But I want to take this opportunity to say,
Izobel, how was that horrible white haired, road rage hair puller on JJ last week. Playing the victim.

2ndly if Eric doesn’t change his mind, Brooke can say that Oliver or Liam is the father 😉 Liam would be good because then it will still be a Spencer baby.

22 Andrea { 08.07.13 at 6:32 pm }

Good on you Izobel2 for finding a way to watch it!
I can’t tape Foxtel either so had to watch it as it was showing and tape BB instead which I was spewing about, I love nom nom night the best! Every Tuesday I will have to do that.
It was a good show last night, you and Daisy will like it.

23 daisy { 08.07.13 at 7:00 pm }

Woo hoo. I am looking fd to it.

24 Izobel2 { 08.09.13 at 4:24 pm }

OK I’ve seen it now.
Duckie’s hair better.
I think 90% of them don’t look that much different, they’ve all got the centre part long straight hair look.
In my opinion both Britain & America have way more ‘out there’ makeovers.
And they look really pretty when there hair has been done, but then the next day they have to do it themselves. and it’s back to boring!
I thought April (short hair) looked much better, and the bird that had all the hair fringe in her eyes thing going on (Jade). Her photo was great.

25 Gabby { 08.09.13 at 4:35 pm }

You girls should find out how much to upgrade your Foxtel to the one that you can record two channels, it doesn’t cost very much more at all and it is SO convenient.
Loved the show, like you Iz2 bit disappointed in the makeovers. Duckies looked good, I was surprised when she said her mum would kill her for getting it cut, it was a mess before.
The girl with the really long hair, hers looked gorgeous but as you said the rest were hardly any different, just tidied up.
Surprised when two of them got the flick.
Ashley wasn’t looking too good last night. Madeleine was lovely.
Great to see Christina Ricci get photo of the week again, she is so photogenic. Shame her height will probably keep her from winning the show.

26 Izobel2 { 08.09.13 at 5:09 pm }

Thanks Gabby. I’m on the tight-arse package that doesn’t even have all the channels! Husband got it for the sport as was sick of not getting to see the Bombers every week as in SA it’s all Port & Crows.
I was always just happy with normal tv, but do get few shows like Top Model etc.
Yeah Duckie’s hair was completely ordinary before. And it will grow back in about half an hour so mumma really shouldn’t worry!

Yes Christina Ricci might struggle in the catwalk challenges, or when they have to find clothes that fit or something. Such a terrible show really, promoting stick insect teenagers! It should really be about chicks with meat on their bones!!

27 Andrea { 08.09.13 at 5:33 pm }

Same here Izzy, basic package mainly for sport, particularly car racing, anything on four wheels and husband is watching!
And rugby league watching the Eels lose every week.
I’ve been asking Foxtel/Austar for years to give me a free second set top box for the other room since we have been loyal customers for ages but no luck so I won’t pay any more for extra channels on principle.
I manage to prise it off him one hour a week for ANTM though.

28 Izobel2 { 08.09.13 at 5:48 pm }

Well I watched it with the husband Andrea, and he was not impressed that the girls basically looked the same, and he thought they weren’t good looking anyway (he obviously doesn’t have the model eye either!!)… I’m glad I usually watch it without him!!

29 Eliza { 08.09.13 at 6:23 pm }

Andrea, Foxtel have NO idea about rewarding loyalty!! We’ve had it for I’d say around 17 years and all they do is put prices up and take things away. I was so cranky when they took away our 2 free box office movies a month.. Jerks. We are able to record 2 shows at a time, but then we can only watch free to air when we do that.. Pretty sure you can do one better with iq2. We have the full library thing with catch up which is good.

I was shocked by the double elimination too! I also immediately thought of what they did to Roxy on the British version when I saw Duckie. Agree they usually don’t go as drastic on our version with the make overs, everyone just looked a bit better. I need to cut my hair and am thinking of going the length they did for Madeleine.. It’s a popular length atm. I loved Ashley’s and Jade’s hair, they both looked great. April’s new do was very well suited to her face.

Izobel2, unfortunately the modelling industry will always value stick thin girls. It does make those of us who were never a stick thin teenager feel not normal but when you put the show in perspective of what they are trying to find then you can enjoy it for what it is. I will admit it does p*ss me off when they talk about not exercising and being healthy!

30 Andrea { 08.09.13 at 6:42 pm }

Eliza, same here with Foxtel, I wouldn’t bother having it at all if not for my husband, we’ve had it about the same time as you but I could easily do without it, apart from ANTM, I only watch Lifestyle You now and again, we should be able to only buy the channels that we actually watch instead of a package deal.

31 Andrea { 08.11.13 at 1:22 pm }

The next episode of ANTM should be a good one, I just read that Jennifer Hawkins had to step in and tell one girl she had to leave the competition due to her being violent.
The producers and Foxtel apparently said she had to go, it wasn’t a bullying issue, it was violence.
Will be interesting to see who that was, any guesses?

32 Gabby { 08.11.13 at 3:01 pm }

Wow, I wonder who that is going to be? I can’t even begin to imagine. If Rhiannon was still there I may have said her but I rally cannot think of anyone. What about you Andrea, do you have any ideas?

33 Andrea { 08.11.13 at 4:28 pm }

Not really sure, they all seemed okay, maybe Duckie? I don’t know, it will be interesting to watch.

34 Eliza { 08.12.13 at 12:29 am }

This is what I have been waiting for! I was questioning this last week.. for a while there I thought I was imagining that I heard that someone was kicked out! I too would have thought Rhiannon at first.. My next guesses would be Abbie or Taylah.. Not sure why.. probably because they all seemed so immature during the etiquette class. Kind of feel bad speculating who would be violent.

I just did a bit of a search and some people have been discussing the show on a baby forum.. There is some speculation as to who it will be with someone having some ‘inside information’ so possible spoiler alert.

35 daisy { 08.12.13 at 6:15 pm }

I can’t read comments here yet because I am behind in my viewing but…
ANTM fans might like to watch ACA tonight because something went down between some of the models. It was on the ACA promo.

36 Gabby { 08.12.13 at 6:22 pm }

Thanks Daisy, will check it out.

37 daisy { 08.12.13 at 8:57 pm }

Post make0ver
Melissa ended up lookinga bit like evil Courtney from the Bach.
Jade’s hair looked fabulous
April looked beautiful
Duckie looked like Dennis Rodman
Shannon ended up looking like every other girl with straightened hair
Ashley still looked good.

BTW That strangling incident looked bad.

38 daisy { 08.12.13 at 8:59 pm }

They made Madeleine lose her identity. I couldn’t tell which one was her. They made her look like the Italian girl.

39 daisy { 08.12.13 at 9:01 pm }

Ashley is going to win. No doubt about it.

40 Eliza { 08.13.13 at 12:47 am }

Daisy and Gabby, see the previous comments – we have been discussing that. Thanks ACA/the media for ruining the surprise of who was involved! There is an article here.. don’t read if you don’t want to know!

Daisy, I quite like Ashley and she seems like she is nice to work with. LOL re Duckie and Dennis Rodman!! I liked Jade’s hair too.. and do you mean Courtney on the Ben season (the evil one that no one liked, if I am getting the names right?).

41 daisy { 08.13.13 at 1:19 am }

Yeah, thanks alot ACA. But don’t worry Eliza, they probably are giving us a bit of a false lead.

Yes, Courtney from Ben’s season. They don’t really look alike but the hair was shades of evil Courtney.

42 daisy { 08.13.13 at 1:22 am }

Didn’t those guys seem lkke jerks on the CK photo shoot. The bald guy was an arrogant pig, when Ashley was trying to be friendly. She’s just a kid trying to fit in.
Funny on the Brit top model, the photographers bag the models if they aren’t friendly.

43 Eliza { 08.13.13 at 2:53 pm }

Lol, that Courtney certainly was evil.. Poor Melissa.

I guess it would depend on the photographer. The week before, that photographer commented he would book Ashley any day then the next one wasn’t fussed about her.. I think she seems as though she would be easy to work with. I guess they all have their preferences!

44 daisy { 08.13.13 at 2:55 pm }

She’s quite cute and has an interesting personality, Eliza. But I reckon she might be a handful at times too.