The Great Australian Bake Off – The Cast Is….

image005

The Great Australian Bake Off starts tonight on NINE at 8.00pm. It has been a long time coming but it looks like it will be worth the wait. The show will be hosted by Anna Gare and Shane Jacobson, and the judges will be Dan Lepard and Kerry Vincent who will both find a lot of new fans.

However what really makes these shows are the cast there are ten contestants. They are:

Monique a 30 year-old former basketballer from Adelaide. This girl is sassy and can actually bake as she has a blue ribbon from the local show to prove it. She also owns a travelling caravan to sell her home-made lemonade at markets. Twitter handle is @Moniquebowley.

Steve is a 26 year-old boxer from Canberra. He likes to make healthier baking options which include honey filled oat muffins. Maybe he and the personal trainer boys from My Kitchen Rules need to hook up.

Sarah-Jane is a 30 year old teacher and mother from Melbourne. She has a blog called New Fat Ladies and also is a member of Aquaporkos a synchronised swimming group that is into positive body image. Twitter handle is @ess_jay_bakes.

Mark is a 51 year-old accountant from NSW. His signature dish is a sourdough based pizza so expect him to do better on the savoury challenges. He is precise so should be able to follow a recipe.

Julie a 41 year-old farmer’s mum bakes every day. She has to be one of the favourites as she has won multiple ribbons at shows and should have a wide baking knowledge. One of the ones to watch.

Nancy is a 22 year-old architecture graduate. She maybe young but her strengths are cakes and decorating. Could be the dark horse.

Brendan is 21 years old and his studying hospitality management at University. He may be young but he has been baking since he was seven. His signature dish is rocky road cheesecake. Twitter handle is @bgarlick.

Maria is a 45 year old social worker from Melbourne. Expect to see her draw on her Greek heritage for recipes and flavours. She has  her own blog Food From Home. Tiered fondant cakes are her speciality. Twitter handle is @MV8881.

Jonathan is a 35 year-old IT consultant from Melbourne. He says he has not had a full night sleep since his son was born three years ago. Maybe he went on the show to sleep? He has seven years experience baking and will draw on his Jewish and Eastern European heritage. Twitter handle is @jjtweet1978

Bliss is a 23 year old Trivia Quiz host. She is also a former tennis player and has a Bachelors Degree in Theatre and Music. She is gluten intolerant so she won’t be tasting some of the dishes she will be baking.  Twitter handle is @BlissNixon.

Each episode there is three challenges a signature bake, a technical bake and a show stopper.

To ease them into it the first signature bake is cupcakes. If you like the British version you will like this version and if you have not seen the UK version and you like cooking shows you should find it enjoyable as well.

The Great Australian Bake Off On NINE on Tuesday nights at 8.00pm.

1 domjr { 07.09.13 at 4:05 pm }

Looking forward to watch this show, this week is the finale show for the US version. In the Uk version, the contestant only compete during weekends, and they can go back home during weekdays, not too sure bout the US. One thing that got me wondering was how they can wore the same clothes during the whole 2 days of competition, the host, the judges n the contestant! Hmmmm….

2 Littlepetal { 07.09.13 at 4:14 pm }

Look like we have contestants that can bake. Looking forward to the première. We watch this instead of MC.

3 smauge { 07.09.13 at 5:03 pm }

I have been HANGING for this show to start! Talk about make a girl wait!

4 Carole { 07.09.13 at 5:55 pm }

Really looking forward to this tonight. I will be juggling shows tonight. Will watch the first half of MasterChef then tape the last half hour and switch to 9 for the Bake Off. And tape Winners & Losers on 7.

Did anyone watch The Today Show today? Lisa Wilkinson cooked her chocolate chip biscuits, the recipe has been in her family for years. But needless to say, Kerry Vincent was not impressed, she was criticising everything about them. But Karl enjoyed them.

5 Daisy { 07.09.13 at 6:04 pm }

I saw it Carole.

6 Andrea { 07.09.13 at 6:43 pm }

I’ll be juggling shows tonight too Carole, I will have to tape The Mole and the Baking Show so that I can watch Australia’s Next Top Model on Foxtel. Unfortunately MC will have to fall by the wayside as I can only tape two shows at once.
I missed Lisa on the Today Show, might be able to catch it on line, the Baking Show looks very interesting.

7 brain dead dave { 07.09.13 at 6:43 pm }

Good luck with this,Ch9. I’m becoming glutton intolerant from watching the overblown judges on Ma$terchef.

“Bliss”. Oh,ffs. Her parents deserve a good bake for that.

8 Littlepetal { 07.09.13 at 6:46 pm }

Hope you watch The Bake Off, BDD. There are some yummy looking cakes.

9 Andrea { 07.09.13 at 7:06 pm }

I thought you might like Sarah-Jane and her New Fat Ladies blog BDD.

10 brain dead dave { 07.09.13 at 7:25 pm }

I checked out the blog. It has two women who managed to produce a bun from an oven.

11 Littlepetal { 07.09.13 at 7:30 pm }

Ha ha ha. CB may be interested in Sarah Jane. Actually Maria look like Karen Martini. I am sure BDD can find another eye candy.

12 kcewip { 07.09.13 at 9:13 pm }

Hope they call biscuits, biscuits and not cookies and icing, icing and not frosting.

13 Georgie { 07.09.13 at 9:20 pm }

kcewip – they’re calling patty cakes, cup cakes so probably won’t.

14 kcewip { 07.09.13 at 9:42 pm }

I’ve heard “frosting” one too many times already…..

15 JaniceG { 07.09.13 at 9:51 pm }

I was shocked at how badly Nine managed screw up a winning formula – way too much biographical info for a first show and not enough time on the actual baking and results, plus the other two versions (UK and USA) had much more encouraging and supportive judges. Also, wish they’d cast just Shane Jacobson instead of adding the annoyingly perky and fake Anna Gare.

The worst sin, though, is the casting: hardly any of the contestants seem like they can actually bake anything challenging, and even fewer of them have engaging personalities. Any five randomly selected grannies from the CWA could wipe the floor with all of the contestants they chose.

16 Andrea { 07.09.13 at 10:42 pm }

I thought the honey bee cake was kind of cute!

17 Suziekue { 07.09.13 at 11:13 pm }

I sorta liked this show. It was relatively fast-paced, loved the cooking and I think I only saw one pathetic attempt at sooky la la sympathy (insert here dead relative of your choice) tears.

Was I imagining it, but in the last couple of frames just before the end, was the Asian lass having her own private meltdown with her hands up to her temples. She did seem pretty hard on herself for not following up her first excellent cake with a party stopper cake. Hmmmm, so watch this space – it could be from whence cometh drama of great heights.

18 Littlepetal { 07.09.13 at 11:20 pm }

I saw that too, Suziekue. She did quite well with her ballerina cake and her chequered board cake was excellent.

19 Daze { 07.09.13 at 11:44 pm }

Enjoyed the show and heaven knows how long we’ve been waiting for it to air. Love the set and it might make a slow start like House Rules did, to get a following.
However, bit disappointed, lacked something I can’t put my finger on with no structure, too fast, a bit all over the place. And what’s the point of Shane, he hardly has any air time or something to do (so far), Anna seems to carry the hosting. Editing is poor – cooking over 2 days yes I believe that but after the contestants were told to go home and rest – there they all were, with the same clothes on again ‘the next day’. Anyhow it’s light and entertaining and only 10 contestants, well 9 now with one elimination already – Maria and Nancy look like strong contenders and Bliss is half hearted, don’t see her lasting long.

20 Sioux Denim { 07.09.13 at 11:48 pm }

I really enjoyed the show….not being a baker at all, especially the decorting of cakes I was impressed with a few of them…….

That swarmy young bloke better watchout being a bit too cocky, gonna get set up for sure…..

It mustn’t go for too long as there didnt seem to be a lot of contestants…is it a weekly show?

21 brain dead dave { 07.09.13 at 11:50 pm }

Shane’s there to unblock the shithouse after big bake-offs.

Every Tuesday at 8.00 pm ,Sioux Denim.

22 Littlepetal { 07.10.13 at 12:03 am }

Yes, Maria, Nancy and maybe Monique are better bakers. Its weekly show and only 8 episodes.

23 Ian { 07.10.13 at 2:27 am }

Can someone tell me PLEASE who was eliminated in the first episode tonight. I recorded the show but it ran out seconds before the name was announced. Thanks!

24 smauge { 07.10.13 at 8:20 am }

The boxer dude was eliminated, Ian. Wrong one in my opinion! Should have been the bespectacled scientist who could barely get anything on a plate last night.
I loved it. And they have to keep Anna Gare on. My Hubby loves her.

25 FIONA LOWDEN { 07.10.13 at 8:28 am }

Where have I seen Julie from she’s so familiar

26 JaniceG { 07.10.13 at 8:34 am }

smauge: At least anal-retentive-accountant-guy’s showstopper cake tasted good even if he didn’t finish the decorating, and the decorating he did finish was impressive. Nothing that boxer-dude made was edible and his “castle” cake looked like something a primary school student might make in their very first attempt at baking

27 Georgie { 07.10.13 at 9:00 am }

It didn’t start until 8.30 here (mid north coast nsw), after The Block, but the program showed 8.00 start?

Agree JaniceG, the casting in terms of bakery skills seems to have been a secondary consideration. The show obviously isn’t about teaching baking skills, so they should start with 10 great cooks, which would make for a more exciting competion.

Agree with you too smauge, I thought Mark should be and would be eliminated. His hands-on approach to rescuing the collapsing checkerboard creation was the highlight last night.

Lol bdd, Kenny has a purpose after all.

28 Georgie { 07.10.13 at 9:29 am }

Sorry JanicG, hadn’t seen your 2nd comment on the elimination dynamics. I wrote mine then went and made breakfast without hitting the submit button!

Anyway, they have a lot of elimination fodder to choose from at this stage.

29 Georgie { 07.10.13 at 9:35 am }

kcewip #12 – further on the biscuit vs cookie thing, the ultimate sacrilege as far as I’m concerned is ANZAC cookie!

30 smauge { 07.10.13 at 11:21 am }

JaniceG – I agree that the boxer dude’s banana cake was a bit weird, and like the judges said, didn’t in anyway resemble a castle, but I stand by my opinion that scientist bakerman had an appalling day in the kitchen. I’d be majorly pissed off at getting eliminated over him!
I’m sure I’ll get the hang of all their names eventually!

31 Littlepetal { 07.10.13 at 11:34 am }

The scientist, Mark party cake may not be the best looking but didn’t the judge said it was the most tasty cake. Steve cake must have tasted awful.

32 Ian { 07.10.13 at 12:33 pm }

Thanks smauge, I agree with you regarding the elimination. Next week I’ll watch the programme live but watch Masterchef encore the next day. SO much competition with all the reality shows competing with the same time slot. One good thing I suppose is that Bake Off is only on once a week.

33 JaniceG { 07.10.13 at 12:45 pm }

I definitely don’t mean to be defending Accountant Guy’s performance but Boxer Dude’s was worse. I’ve watched both the UK and USA versions of this show and they do consider all three rounds when deciding who to whack.