Open Post: Masterchef Australia – Seven Deadly Sins

Apologies I don’t have time for a full recap on last night’s episode on Masterchef as have been diverted by non-reality TV matters for 24 hours.

It was seven deadly sins challenge with the blue team headed by Neha and the red team by Rishi.

Rishi did a better job captaining the team then the time he headed the team for the pizza challenge, but maybe that was because Jules was on the other team!

Neha captained the red team and never really took control. In the end it was no surprise the red team lost and will be up for elimination tonight.

Tell me what you thought were the highlights and lowlights of the episode below.

1 Eliza { 07.10.13 at 11:45 pm }

Boo.. I thought Lilliana seemed like one of the better cooks.. Kelty will be this year’s Jonathan the Eliminator.

FINALLY they will be cooking individually next week. I usually don’t watch Master Class episodes but I actually found last week’s quite entertaining, especially with Rishi doing the impressions.

2 daisy { 07.10.13 at 11:50 pm }

I love roti chennai, Little petal. I don’t know if they have it in Singapore or only Malaysia.

3 Littlepetal { 07.10.13 at 11:52 pm }

No Eliza, they are still cooking in a team of 3’s but each person is responsible for either a kebab, fried chicken or burger. Having to cook against the time it takes MattP to buy his take a way food is silly as the timing can be manipulated. We viewers non the wiser.

Also no immunity challenge next week.

4 Littlepetal { 07.10.13 at 11:54 pm }

Daisy, in Singapore it is called pratha.

5 Eliza { 07.11.13 at 12:21 am }

Oh dang, missed that part. Thanks Littlepetal. This constantly cooking in teams thing is stupid. I want to see Daniel and Lynton cook individually as they both seem to be getting through on team challenges too easily, especially Daniel.

6 Moonstruck { 07.11.13 at 12:29 am }

Very strange elimination. Cook what you want! I bet those who have had to reproduce a recipe from a chef must be spewing.
The Masterchef phenomenon is coming to an end. This year it’s being done on a shoestring budget. What happened to following the eliminated contestants arriving home? Not that I liked it. On for only 5 nights a week. And of course only managing to crack the top ten in ratings this week. http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/masterchef/masterchef-reheats-in-the-ratings-20130708-2plo8.html

7 Daisy { 07.11.13 at 1:23 am }

Uuuurh, Noelene cooked a pig’s head. (Camera pans to Samira)

And how can the judges say, “By the narrowest of margins….you nailed it”. It’s not nailing it if it’s by the narrowest of margins.

8 Anonymous { 07.11.13 at 1:57 am }

Sorry to see Liliana go. It feels horrible to see nice and talented people leave whereas less skilled people are still in the competition. I think this challenge favored Neha than anyone else. She could cook in her comfort zone when the fact is she was the worst in the 7 sin challenge.I don’t like Jules but have to admit she is quite competent in what she does. I think she is good cook but I am bit conflicted how people can see cooking as boxing Arena like fighting competition and on the other hand they talk about warmth of family and how providing food leads to sense of belonging. Well whatever, it is a cooking show where good looking and strong personalities will win. lol

9 Alec C { 07.11.13 at 5:03 am }

Rainbow cake only had food coloring as the difference? 7 smaller layers with distinct flavors ROY G BIV infused red – cherry Orange – orange Yellow lemon G mint B cotton candy ect

Kelty aka Teflon man – nothing sticks to him – gad he has BAD teeth.

Only prob with undetermined matt p arriving in his car is the many snack stops to and from MC he makes…

Having Nene making the BEEF burgers – ain’t she Indian?

Haha Daniel free ad shots – he would be arrested in New Jersey with their newly anti sagging law.

Fried chicken was sorta a disaster on MC USA for the Glee challenge.

Jules self admittance GJ – old one and should have been gone weeks ago one certainly haven’t admitted any such thing.

Fast food challenge judges … make your own joke afterwords. Have the defibrillators on standby!

10 Andrea { 07.11.13 at 8:34 am }

Moonstruck@56, I was missing the eliminated contestants back at their homes too.
As for the pig’s head, revolting!, I felt sad for the poor pig looking at its face, Deb from a previous MC immedieately sprang to mind ( the pig on spit incident ), crackling and pork make me feel sick too.
Can’t believe Kelty got through again but at least it was an individual challenge this time.

11 Carole { 07.12.13 at 2:24 pm }

Another thing missing this year, the winning team used to get taken to a fancy restaurant while the losers were competing to see who would get eliminated.

12 Littlepetal { 07.12.13 at 2:35 pm }

They also get their own private masterclass. This year the contestants don’t get to participate in many masterclass. The masterclass with the public is more to promote the 3 judges more than anything else. It’s a shame as these contestants need as much tips as they can get.

13 Moonstruck { 07.13.13 at 2:01 am }

True Little Petal. But I think they changed the masterclasses because they were not for home cooks. I stopped watching them after I saw how complicated and time consuming the dishes were. Also I couldn’t believe how much butter and creams they used to use.
Maybe we should start a list of what they are not doing this season!!!!

14 Carole { 07.13.13 at 2:20 pm }

Yeah, Moonstruck, there’s a few things missing this year from other years. If I had been a contestant this year I would feel really ripped off.

15 brain dead dave { 07.13.13 at 2:46 pm }

I haven’t seen a taste test yet this year, where the amatas have to correctly identify the ingredients in a dish. That would be hilarious.

16 Dr T { 07.13.13 at 5:20 pm }

BDD – they could do the taste test with a genuine Aussie meat by from the local servo… Noelene and Kelty naming all the various types of offal that could be found in it…

And remember, always blow on the pie

17 brain dead dave { 07.13.13 at 5:34 pm }

I believe such pies are mostly water, Dr T, from an article I read a few years ago and may include camel products amongst other things best not mentioned here.

What an excellent way for the producers to load up Kelty with an ammunity pin before the trip to Dubai.

18 Littlepetal { 07.13.13 at 5:41 pm }

What about the Chinese pork bun? Could Kelty picked the meat in pork bun? Human flesh. Yak.

19 Anonymous { 08.29.13 at 2:10 am }

I don’t know why i keep watching Masterchef hoping that each year it will redeem itself and prove what’s being said wrong. Every year and episode only reinforces the probability that the judges start out already having a preference to win and dare i say it some bias against other races doing well perhaps.
Today Rishi was wrongly ousted. And i suspect the judges had already planned for lynton to win Masterchef. Rishi has been the strongest amongst all the contenders this year. However, he was judged not on the overall dish which was meant to be indian and how well he cooked it, but how (or how not) plump his mussels in his curry were. So Emma goes through not having plated a better tasting curry, but… hey her mussles were plump! Then competing Rishi against Samirha, the latter goes through even though the brief was meant to be FRENCH and she didn’t even meet that brief, let alone make something that was fantastic compared to Rishi’s dish. Everything on his plate was french inspired and this time his protein was done to perfection too. Samirha, even though cooked an equally good protein, DID NOT MEET THE BRIEF! So, you’d think she would have failed instantly. BUT! NO! She goes through instead. Clearly judges are fickle with their judging criteria and choose the ones that suit their final (or initial) intention. Disappointing to say the least. Not just of the show, but the judges and critique. Clearly they realised that if the finals included Rishi, Lynton will stand no chance. Hence, the need the oust Rishi from the final three.