Masterchef Australia – Heaven Is They Got To Cook What They Wanted!

The contestants who were up for elimination must have been thrilled to be able to cook what they wanted and the result were some stand out dishes. Hopefully the recipes are on the website.

Jules, Noelene, Kelty, Samira, Liliana, Neha, and Lucy were cooking to stay in the competition, and clearly Noelene was feeling stressed as she was frying chips for breakfast. She must not have a cholesterol problem or just not care about it.

Jules  was pumped as always and said she felt like a boxer stepping into a ring “just like Rocky” and Neha was just crying.

The contestants were to cook a dish that represented them and they had two hours and an open pantry. Basically there were no excuses for not putting out a good dish.

Jules dish was Chicken Ayam which was passed down by her grandmother. She uses lemon myrtle like Maggie Beer uses verjuice. She puts it in everything as she thinks it makes the flavour pop. Maybe she needs to merchandise this when she gets out of the house. There is no doubt Jules is a nice person. Anyone that fosters children has to have a big heart and a lot of patience.

Kelty was making the dish he made for his wife when he proposed,prawn ravioli with seafood bisque and balmain bugs tails. Gary suggested he make a prawn mousse rather then chopped up prawns.

Liliana was making a coloured layered cake. Which looks spectacular but is it really a butter cake with colur in it. This is not Bake Off. Also these coloured layered cakes must be a trend as we are seeing them cooked everywhere. Also it was always going to be compared to the lolly bag cake the contestants had to make earlier in the competition.

Neha was making a thali, which is a big plate with an assortment of dishes it included  duck curry, fried eggplant, raita and a drink of Lemon Sharbert. Gary told her to ditch the drink  but she ignored this advice.

Noelene was making a roasted pigs head, she said her father who had been a prisoner of war did not like to waste any part of the animal.

Lucy was also cooking a roast but this time with pork belly.

Samira was making meze plate which was a lot of little dishes. Sometimes I think this is a wrong tactic of to make a lot of average dishes rather then one spectacular one. However in her case it worked out and it is quite amazing how much she put on a plate in two hours especially compared to Neha’s thali.

Matt says “I love that challenge where the contestants can cook what they want”. The viewer and the contestant would agree with him as we get to see who can actually cook.

Kelty was the first to be tasted, and the others dishes must have been else where as their dishes were not on the benches. George was funny when he said if  had come over for dinner for a first date and he had been served that dish he would be asking ‘what’s for dessert big boy”.

No one really had a disaster, Neha’s duck was delicious and they even praised how she had presented her drink with the star anise in ice cubes. They had melted by the time she had served it so hopefully that flavour had not penetrated to much.

George told Jules that was the best curry I have ever eaten. Clearly it must be a fairly mild curry then.

Liliana’s caked looked specatacular but in the end because everyone else had plated up something that was pretty spectacular but she was told it had not really showcased her cooking skills and I have to agree which is a pity as I think she was actually one of the stronger cooks.

1 Andrea { 07.11.13 at 5:42 pm }

Techhater@38, sorry, but I feel bad for your roosters, I could never kill anything, except maybe a cockroach or fly ( I’m weird like that ) and Daisy@37, sucking fish eyeballs, how revolting !
Give me that rainbow cake though, I could soon polish that off!
I’d be hopeless on MC, just about everything would be vegetarian or sweet desserts.

2 Techhater { 07.11.13 at 6:43 pm }

Andrea i’ve said before that we moved out here to live a self- sustainable lifestyle. We breed our own free-range chooks and the roosters are definitely for eating. Hens die of old age (we don’t eat them) and always have a good supply of fresh eggs. Not only do we get their meat but for every 2 chooks we get 4 litres of homemade chicken stock. Haven’t bought chicken stock in over 7 years. We also catch our own fish, goats and roos, as well as having a good supply of heritage seeds, from which we grow most of our own veg and fruit. Seriously nothing yicky about really fresh food. Just a fantastic and expansive FRESH food pantry to cook from. We also have friends who own sheep and cattle stations and receive fresh meat for work or favours. IT DOESN’T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS.

3 brain dead dave { 07.11.13 at 6:52 pm }

Much prefer that to the ritual cruelty dished out to poultry at places like Inghams, where the chooks are fed hormones until they are an unnatural size ,shape and live in crowded, shit conditions for their entire lives.

4 Daisy { 07.11.13 at 7:11 pm }

Ha ha Littlepetal, I trusted them in a foodhall in Chengdu and that’s when I think I ate penis and uterus.
Maybe even 40 year old chicken feet, although they might be expensive.

5 Techhater { 07.11.13 at 7:13 pm }

Hi Dave I had a good friend back in the city who was manager at Baida’s chicken farm. All I can say is check out a documentary aired on SBS last year called Food Inc. it will seriously change your attitude towards grain fed beef, our poultry, & pig products and just about everything we eat. This is why I live the way I live.
We want to eat REAL food.

6 Littlepetal { 07.11.13 at 7:15 pm }

The other night I saw Gabriel Gate at the market in one of the French town on TDF holding a foie gras. The liver was the size of a duck. Yuk! Poor duck.

7 Anna { 07.11.13 at 7:16 pm }

The rare find of aged chicken feet must be some sort of delicacy , considering that they’ve been fermented in hydrogen peroxide for all those years :-) LOL

8 Damian { 07.11.13 at 7:23 pm }

I’m a little confused about this episode. I know people (the judges) were falling over themselves to congratulate everyone, but:

-The person who was eliminated made a basic cake with food colouring. She had to go.

But

-Noelene roasted a pig head. That’s it. Take the head, add aromatics, add oil and salt. Wait. That’s the entire recipe. Not good enough.
-(someone) made pork belly. Season the pork, score the skin, cook. That’s it. Ignore the extraneous parts of this recipe, but I have followed it for a year or so and it always works: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/pork-belly-roast. It’s hardly cooking. Compared to the rest they did nothing.

Extremely disappointed in those two. The three of them should have been eliminated.

But the others seemed to do just fine. So, that was a big plus for the show. I’m glad the contestants appear to be improving, but we need more episodes Just Like This to really showcase that.

But Noelene and (someone) (can’t remember her name) need to go. Pathetic.

9 brain dead dave { 07.11.13 at 7:23 pm }

Yes, I saw that documentary,Techhater and closer to home am familiar with some procedures that take place at a huge Ingham’s processing plant north of Adelaide.

Often the stench of chlorine when walking around the meat at the local supermarket is disturbing , too.
That stuff can’t be good for you.

10 Littlepetal { 07.11.13 at 7:35 pm }

Matt Preston just got out of bed!!! Look at his hair

11 brain dead dave { 07.11.13 at 7:40 pm }

A bed …or a whale sling?

12 Andrea { 07.11.13 at 7:42 pm }

I get where you’re coming from Techhater, its a good lifestyle for you, its just not my thing.
I agree with you and BDD that your way is better than the way cruelty is dished out to poultry at places like Inghams, I’ve read some terrible things about the goings on there.
I can’t even bear watching documentaries about live transport of cows etc to overseas in such terrible conditions either.
Having said that, I am probably a hypocrite because although I’m not a big meat eater, I do eat chicken and sometimes beef, so I guess I turn a blind eye to it all.
In a perfect world, no animals would ever be killed for food, but that’s never going to happen.

13 Anna { 07.11.13 at 7:52 pm }

So glad that Paul Wison cooked at the start of the show…. now I can tune out

14 brain dead dave { 07.11.13 at 7:59 pm }

It’s not so much being a hypocrite as being on the end of misleading advertising from these companies about what really happens and the relative cheapness and convenient availability of the mass produced stuff.
“Grain fed ” sounds healthy but it may not be necessarily true if the said animal is stressed from being in crowded living conditions .

15 Andrea { 07.11.13 at 8:01 pm }

True, I agree with you.

16 Anna { 07.11.13 at 8:05 pm }

Dave, on ACA a number of years ago they did a comparison of chooks going from hatchlings naturally and not

1. The first one was eating normal feed and growing up slowly
2. Second one was fed hormone enriched feed and from hatchiling to full size took 6 weeks… seeing that scared me….

17 Techhater { 07.11.13 at 8:16 pm }

Anna All I can say is check out “Food Inc.” on youtube and see what all these animals go through. Really it’s not hard to RESPECT am animal you are going to eat, knowing you raised and prepared it yourself.

18 Anna { 07.11.13 at 8:27 pm }

I know! It shouldn’t be that hard to respect an animal

I get all my meat from supplier who sells to high end restaurants….

19 sarnias { 07.11.13 at 11:45 pm }

pmsl, loving “this is me on a plate” so noelene is a pig head. No surprises there. Would love to see a “you are what you eat” challenge – reckon there would be a few spotted dicks and perhaps some mung beans out there.

20 Eliza { 07.12.13 at 12:06 am }

Shame Liliana left as I agree she looked to be one of the more rounded cooks. She did herself in though by baking a cake as it wasn’t really ‘Masterchef’ even though it did look quite good in the end. Loved the quick elimination too.

I do also agree with Littlepetal and Damian – was what Noelene did any better?? She didn’t do very much at all, except wait for the head to cook and pop it on the board (plus some salad thing).. at least Liliana had to assemble and ice. If they really wanted her to stay they could have manipulated it. I too agree with other comments that Noelene and Kelty won’t win.

Samira’s food looked so delicious. Made me want to go out for some Arabic food asap. Noelene’s dish on the other hand.. ugghhh I could never eat the head of an animal, especially with its eyes there just staring at you! It’s bad enough when you’re eating some nice juicy lamb and you see cute little lambs come on the TV. Sometimes you just need to be separated from what you’re eating.

Oh and George saying that to Kelty was disturbing.. I was definitely disturbed.

21 daisy { 07.12.13 at 12:45 am }

Noelene’s dish is something for the movies. Godmother 1. Pig head in a bed. Or Rocky Horror Picture Show.

22 bron { 07.12.13 at 10:24 am }

i have a spoiler about who is leaving the show in the next couple of weeks if anyone is interested.

23 Morgan { 07.13.13 at 11:08 pm }

I think people are starting to give Kelty way too much credit. His successes in the competition so far are all from cooking very simple and basic dishes, when he has to cook something that’s above his usual stuff or with an ingredient that he’s not familiar with, he falls flat. And the most annoying thing is that he still thinks he’s the best cook on earth.

24 Izobel2 { 07.14.13 at 9:57 pm }

I think it was the right decision that Liliana went home.
I’m also happy that we’re seeing more of each dish being made and tasted this year.
I don’t have any favourites this year and I usually do.
My husband wants Noelene to go as he says she’s always so grumpy looking.

25 Phineas J. Whoopee { 07.21.13 at 5:52 am }

I found Liliana to be one of the weakest of the remaining contestants. Agree with what another poster said: all potential, no follow-through. She is absolutely no Marion!

My money is on Rishi this year.

Also, I am a longtime MA viewer and RR lurker from the States. Hey all!