The Great Australian Bake Off – Pies, Pies and More Pies

Kerry Vincent provided a little too much information last night when she confessed that she liked things exploding in her mouth.

Thankfully she appeared to be talking about pies which was what the second episode of Bake Off was all about. However it was not a strong showing by a lot of them.

Judge Kerry who appears to be polarising people, completely nailed Julie when she told Dan Lepard and co that she was trying to over achieve. Julie does have a touch of the Tracey Flick’s from the movie Election about her.

Julie who bakes everyday has an intensity about her and was not happy that her Morrocan Lamb and Sweet Potato Pie was not gushed over, she also cried when Kerry criticised her Lemon Meringue Pie and probably will need to go in to therapy after Dan Lepard told her the parties pies she had baked were immemorable. You get the feeling if she does not make it to the final episode there is going to be a mega-meltdown. Spatula’s at dawn perhaps.

The first challenge was the signature bake where they could cook any pie sweet or savouy and surprisingly they all baked savoury. Bliss who was making a Chicken, Leek and Bacon Pie was told off by Kerry for not washing her leeks as she did not want to be eating dirt. Bliss should have pointed out that at Rene Redepzi’s restaurant NOMA in Denmark people pay big bucks to eat it!

In the end the judges did like the flavour of the pie so maybe the dirt and the extra onions helped.

Monique was making a Chicken, Mushroom and Herb Pie who is sitting comfortably in the middle of the pack, whereas Sarah Jane who you think is going to be a front runner was told her rabbit pie was bland.

Jonathan was making Garlic Prawn, Fish and Rice Pie was told it was nearly there in flavour. Probably the most positive comment for anyone in this challenge.

Brendan who at 21 years of age is showing some talent, was told his thai flavoured curry looked good on the plate.

Nancy’s lamb shank bone sticking out of her pie was not seen as a presentation positive by Kerry either.

Mark who is not a contender was told his cheese and onion pie needed more time in the oven. This guy undercooks everything. Maybe he needs to put his accountant skills to adding up minutes rather than weighing grams.

Then they were on to the technical bake of Lemon Meringue Pie. Bliss’s was a disaster as was Mark’s. Jonathan, Brendan and Sarah Jane were the only ones that got positive reviews. Monique did OK but nipplesque decorating of the meringue did not go down well. As she said she got “nipple crippled by Kerry Vincent”.

Jonathan came in first with Brendan runner up. Bliss’s was judged the worse due to the fact it was all meringue and what was even more surprising was it was one of her favourite dishes to cook. She said she should have stuck to her own recipe.

They then had four hours to make the show stopper which was party pies, pasties and sausage rolls, all had to be different flavours.

Monique was dropping the f- bombs as she was trying to pipe too thick potato onto her pies.

Bliss who has the messiest bench looked like she had given up as her pies did not look that great.  Mark who was also in contention to be eliminated was told his could do with more spice. Lucky for Mark that he was a male in a baking competition and Bliss was the one who ended up being eliminated.

Jonathan who had barely put a foot wrong this week was named star baker. His patizzi type pastries really wowing the judges.

Who did you think should have been eliminated? Which of the contestants do you think are contenders at this stage?

The Great Australian Bake Off on NINE Tuesday nights at 8.00pm.

1 Anna { 07.17.13 at 11:50 am }

So many unappetizing dishes (pies) his week… SO many of them should have been sent packing

Guessing Mark will be going home unless he improves … otherwise the girl who stuck the bone in the pie should have been sent home

Bliss was bubbly, not many big personalities are in this show…. One of the hosts commented that he likes pies/ cakes… yeah we can tell :-)

2 Rosie { 07.17.13 at 11:55 am }

I’m amazed they didn’t send Mark home. Do they think his ineptitude is entertaining? Well okay, it kinda is.

Still, I am enjoying the show over all. So refreshing to watch people just….cook.

3 LB { 07.17.13 at 1:13 pm }

Agree with you Rosie that it was surprising that Mark didn’t get sent packing, but as RR says, he is one of the few blokes in a baking comp, so maybe that is his lifeline. That being said, his ineptitude is hilarious & makes me feel loads better about my baking efforts. Can’t see him progressing much further , but who knows?

Am enjoying this – it’s all about the baking and not the back story, thankfully!

4 brain dead dave { 07.17.13 at 1:22 pm }

Mark is the new Kelty. I watched it with captions on and quite enjoyed it, but that was after a very lacklustre first half hour of Ma$terchef.

5 daisy { 07.17.13 at 1:27 pm }

Littlepetal, I haven’t seen it all yet but this ep was more to my liking. I could eat most of those pies.

6 Andrea { 07.17.13 at 3:10 pm }

The bone stuck out of the pie looked like something Wilma Flintstone would cook.
Nancy is pretty good though, she was the one who made the pretty ballerina cake.
I’d like to see Judge Kerry on Masterchef giving them what for.

7 Carole { 07.17.13 at 3:52 pm }

Line of the night ” I can’t believe she didn’t like my nips”.

That bone sticking out of the pie looked ridiculous. She seemed surprised Kerry didn’t like it.

How can so many pies made with the exact same recipe all turn out so differently? Some were absolute disasters, I was in histerics.

I really liked the sound of the prawn & fish pie. Nice change from all the meat.

Jonathan & Brandon were outstanding. Was really impressed with them.

Yeah, Mark with all his mathematic ability doesn’t seem to know how long to cook things. They’re probably keeping him in for entertainment.

8 Anna { 07.17.13 at 3:57 pm }
9 Gabby { 07.17.13 at 4:39 pm }

Jonathan was a well deserved winner, a very shy, humble man. Loved your quote Andrea about a Flinstones pie. Some of the pies looked delicious until opened and then were a let down, very dry.
At the start of the series, the usual, “we have gathered the best bakers in Australia”, dribble, but I fell for it and really thought we were going to see some top class baking. I’m sadly disappointed. Could not believe that they all had trouble with the all time favourite lemon merengue pie. Not saying I could bake it but if they were all supposed to be top bakers, just saying.
I liked the look of some of those party pies, pasties and sausage rolls, they were my favourites.
I definitely don’t go for unwashed leeks. I’m with Kerry there.

10 Georgie { 07.17.13 at 4:51 pm }

Don’t know whether it’s just my suspicious nature but last night I got the impression Dan Lepard has the hots for Jonathon.

11 brain dead dave { 07.17.13 at 5:06 pm }

He can’t wait to taste his buns.

12 Socs { 07.17.13 at 8:35 pm }

BDD, Mark is at least not as annoying as Kelty!

I’m actually quite liking this show–yes it’s all about the baking and very little back story, and most of them are fairly likable! And this is from someone that isn’t interested in the majority of the stuff that they make–for some strange reason I managed to lose my sweet tooth on the way to Australia =)

13 Littlepetal { 07.17.13 at 8:45 pm }

Remember with the Lemon Meringue Pie, they have the recipe with the ingredients but the method is very vague. Thus they turned out differently

14 Littlepetal { 07.17.13 at 10:21 pm }

This look like nice one-Yabby turnover with truffle

15 daisy { 07.17.13 at 11:07 pm }

Yuk. I hate lemon meringue pie. I have never liked it. Nor lemon butter.

16 JaniceG { 07.17.13 at 11:38 pm }

Having watched both the UK and American versions of this show, I am absolutely appalled at the terrible level of the contestants. The lemon meringue challenge was a disgrace: more than half of the contestants couldn’t even manage a creditable version, let alone a good one. It’s shocking that someone as bad as Mark has survived for two weeks now solely because other people managed to have worse rounds than he did.

Socs: If you think this show has very little back story, you really would enjoy the UK version. Couldn’t believe this week’s show just ran the same bio snippets as last week, taking up time that they might have used to show us, say, more than one of the flavors of the three different types of party pies each contestant made, or even all of the contestants’ contributions.

As you can tell, not a fan…

17 Return of the Son of the Lovechild of Ajay Rochester & Culinary Boner { 07.18.13 at 9:24 am }

Inspired by Raver’s comment that “Kerry Vincent …confessed that she liked things exploding in her mouth”, the intrepid CWA-heavy crew at Bake Off Production got to work researching recipes for next week’s challenge – http://cdn.meme.li/instances/300×300/22853128.jpg

Should be a good programming counterpoint next Tuesday for the smiting, genocide, heavenly retribution, sacrificing of first born children and ham production of ‘The Bible’.

Hopefully Anna Gare features heavily next week.

18 daisy { 07.18.13 at 9:29 am }

ROTSOTLOAR&CB@17
Hi

19 daisy { 07.18.13 at 9:32 am }

Oh and you can’t have ham in the OT. Only Ham.

20 daisy { 07.18.13 at 2:49 pm }

Good start on the Bible. Noah is scottish.

21 domjr { 07.18.13 at 4:02 pm }

The mixes of music from classical then to pop and so forth is getting quite irritating…

22 jane walken { 07.18.13 at 5:01 pm }

I love the show in particular all the different personalities with the contestants. My favourites are Julie, Mark and Brendan. I think its biscuits next week so I’m looking forward to that. I think it was right for Bliss to go but I sort of see some favourites with the judges. I wonder if they already know who they want to be in the final before they even bake?
If thats the case then its not very fair. But it sure beats master chef. I think Maria will win, I hope Julie is in there she really wants it and I hope poor Mark can redeem himself. I dont mind the judges, I know many dont like them but they make good TV. All in all a fun feel good show to watch.