The Block – A Winner Has Been Predicted

The Block finale is on Sunday 28 July, by the guys from realestate.com.au  think they know who is going to win.

The Daily Telegraph reports that they are predicting Lysandra and Alicia will win this year. The guys say that in previous years the apartments that get the most page views do the best on auction day.

Here are the hit figures thus far courtesy of The Daily Telegraph:

Alisa and Lysandra (SA) – 15,890 views

Trixie and Johnno (NSW) – 13,791 views

George and Bec (Victoria) – 9,631 views

Madi and Jarrod (Queensland) – 8,869 views

Matt and Kim (WA) – 6,687 views

Also here is an interesting article where Bec from The Block talking about the filming of the show and she says:

“I quickly learned once we got on the show and started filming, that it wasn’t about the renovating – the show.

“It was a bit naive of me to think that’s what it was all about. I quickly realised it wasn’t, it was about us as people going through that journey of renovating and the stresses…and how we reacted to those situations.

Joanna from Farmers Wants A Wife also had a few comments to say about editing.

1 Anna { 07.19.13 at 4:54 pm }

Interesting, I would have picked the twins to win as well, just based on the final outcome of ‘renovation’, design…

Would have expected Trixie to come in at #4

2 Eliza { 07.19.13 at 5:21 pm }

I will be going into the finale expecting the twins to win. Will be most interested in Matt & Kim’s and how that goes. Going by mark and Duncan last year who finished last it will be an interesting result as both places were the most ‘unique’ of the lot. I think Johnno and Trixie would naturally be near the top in the viewings due to their apartment being the penthouse. They may not win as their reserve will be very high compared to the twin’s and I don’t believe they have been as inclusive in their design choices to get people to pay crazy amounts. I could be wrong though!

3 Mia { 07.19.13 at 5:23 pm }

Yeah, I reckon the twins have got it in the bag too.
Aside from the page hit conspiracy theory, they also seem to get the most airtime. And Keith seems to be all over them like white on rice.

4 Anna { 07.19.13 at 5:27 pm }

Can I just ask WT is Bec thinking???

Wallpaper that looks like a forest? Seriously WT???

Johno was so considerate in the last episode that Matt couldn’t even start his renos.

5 Lisa { 07.19.13 at 6:34 pm }

Yes Bec, we have realised its not about renovating – this season more than ever – and it’s not as appealing to watch either.

6 Gabby { 07.19.13 at 6:55 pm }

I think it should have been Keith receiving the apology. Then after Bec told us how she has never, ever spoken to anyone like that before, and was dreadfully sorry, George turns around and calls Keith a loser. We all know who the loser is.
Yes Johnno very inconsiderate of Matt.
I wonder if Madi and Jarrod will rethink rooms as they are looking dry boring.
Could anyone please tell me what the prize is for the winner?

7 Anna { 07.19.13 at 7:30 pm }

Gabby, this week the winner takes $20K

Funny how Bec thinks that she will take out both weeks and have $45K taken of her reserve and get extra $100K come auction day

Tuned into the news on ch10 as Bold was ending… Brooke is knocked up again? Isn’t she 50+?

When I usually tune in, I get the final 5 seconds of Bold and news starts…

8 Gabby { 07.19.13 at 7:46 pm }

I know can you believe it, bloody Brooke! This time it’s her sister’s husband. One thing about her she believes in keeping it in the family. She’s got to be over 50.

9 Anna { 07.19.13 at 8:01 pm }

Gabby, thank you! Was about to ask who she shagged this time…

The plot line is getting idiotic!!! How many husbands has she had?

10 daisy { 07.19.13 at 9:00 pm }

Anna….everyone’s.

11 Anna { 07.19.13 at 9:17 pm }

What not going back for seconds or thirds?

12 daisy { 07.19.13 at 9:35 pm }

She might have another bite of Eric’s apple soon I think.

And that will wipe the enormous smug smile from Taylor’s face.

13 Sigh. More of the same..... { 07.20.13 at 3:51 am }

So basically….the contestants within”the most hits” end up being the most lucrative $$money making$$ minions for the producers- hence they put them in the winning seats. Like all reality TV (we all know now its not ‘reality’…but an overtly edited rendition of footage) …the winners are the ones who are going to make them the most money. Why does the Australian public put up with the lies and gross misrepresentation? There’s gotta be a debate on ethics regarding reality tv in th very near future.

14 Christina { 07.20.13 at 1:41 pm }

Am not sure that is reliable. Weren’t the twins the first ones to go live with their real estate ad? I recall seeing someone post it somewhere, maybe together with a link to T&Js as well, but didn’t think the others were up yet at the time (apparently)….So obviously theyd have more hits! But who knows?! Auction order will be very important. And yes, it (the whole series!) does seem swayed toward the twins…perhaps they feel bad they are on level 1 and don’t want another Mark and Duncan result. But it seems unfair to the others.

I’ve felt bad for T&J as well, as they seemed to have the opposite – being harder judged due to being Penthouse when not having any more funds. Of course they didn’t help themselves by some of the design, although I still like their apartment and think they could do well on auction day.

Am I the only one who thinks Bec’s forest might look good? At first I was aghast, but it’s growing on me and could be kind of fun, magical and unique!

Am not sure about the twins tile choice in the laundry… Looks kind of dark moroon or something?! Seems weird choice for small space. But hope to be pleasantly surprised as they seem to have good taste so far.

15 Christina { 07.20.13 at 1:45 pm }

Also something that struck me during the advert challenge, was I really seem to be going off the twins foyer. I quite liked the wood panels to begin with, but have seen it in the background of various shots lately and in their TV ad, and it just looks a bit dated.

Anyone else notice that Matt & Jarrods as had that ugly grey panelling in their foyer shot (in the TV ad challenge)….which made me wonder when this was done OR if they were allowed to use producers footage. But then why would they choose that anyway?? Hmmm…I must not have seen it correctly….

16 LB { 07.20.13 at 2:24 pm }

Mia @3, you’ve nailed it. Keith is all over the twins like a cheap suit, and it is annoying the hell out of me. I used to love The Block, but I seriously couldn’t care less who wins this series. I’d rather see the tradies who are actually doing the work than the “contestants”.

17 Julie { 07.20.13 at 4:08 pm }

All the real estate ads

The Twins
Matt and Kim
Bec and George
Maddie and Jarrod
and
Trixi and Jonno

18 Violet { 07.20.13 at 4:12 pm }

I don’t like the idea of some teams winning money to reduce their reserve price on auction day, or Bec & George winning that extra $5000 cash.

Their reserves should remain as is and come auction day they all should be rewarded or penalised accordingly based on their body of work. It would be a real shame if one of the less desirable appartments won due to the reserve price reduction.

19 Anna { 07.20.13 at 6:04 pm }

Twins reno getting more hits is due to the fact that they are creating best rooms

Judges mentioned countless times that Trixie is not using good quality fixtures, well at least not as good as she should be using for a penthouse

Trixie constantly rabbits on about fixtures, BUT we don’t know if she’s not going for ‘builders specials’ to save money

The difference between a great brand and ‘builders specials’ with same brand stuck on them is like day and night

20 Christina { 07.20.13 at 6:46 pm }

I would think they’d all be going for builder specials trying to save $!

And I actually thought T&J had quite good quality workmanship and lovely walls, skirts, raised doorways etc. I recall one bedroom seeing lovely ceiling feature (sorry don’t know builders terminology to describe it)! Apart from terrace (bit of a disaster) I think perhaps their design asthetic let them down the most, but for a buyer I’d imagine a lot that can be changed quite easily.

I tend to agree with Judges that Bec and George’s probably most safe and appealing to most markets..and being in the middle with some views but lower reserve they may be strong contenders for the win.

But everyone tastes vary so much, it will really depend on the buyers on the day, no matter what we all think!

21 Anna { 07.20.13 at 7:21 pm }

Christina, undoubtedly they are all going for builders specials. Interestingly enough that the judges keep on mentioning quality of fixtures only on level 5. Guess they think that top floor should get better fixtures.

Find it funny that Bec is expecting to win $40K, she is harping on how if she does that she will win same as twins have done during the last 10 weeks.

Not crazy about ‘forest green’ wallpaper in the bedroom. Seeing it daily would drive me to ripping it off after a few weeks. That wallpaper will fade as well.

Matt’s idea wasn’t the best. All living areas should have been done first. Not fair that twins have to renovate high traffic area in the first week. Considering that they did so well with their kitchen, they just might take out $20 K for the kitchen next week.

One of the bedrooms will win $20K this week.

Trying for find who’s renovating 3rd bedroom. I know that Madi is renovating one and Bec is the 2nd one

22 daisy { 07.20.13 at 11:37 pm }

Yay, W just ordered me the full set of Donna Parker books in fine condition. Anyone remember those? l will be travelling blissfully back to my childhood, thinking I am once again wearing pedal pushers and a midriff, listening to Tammy Whynot singing Stand by Your Man. Or shimmying to the Easy Beats’ Friday on my Mind.

23 daisy { 07.20.13 at 11:39 pm }

I might be getting my years mixed up. The EB might have been a few years after DP.
Andrea, I bet you were a DP girl.

24 Gabby { 07.21.13 at 10:30 am }

Violet @ 18 I agree with you I don’t this whole idea of winning money at the end to reduce their reserve price on auction day. That’s means all the hard work and effort they have put in to get thus far means zilch if they start winning money now. Bulls+*t idea, not fair.
I have had a look at all the apartments on the Realestate.com site and I like the Twins. Have never liked the penthouse styling. J and M’s looked as if it is half done but I love their dressing room, and while I like some of Becs ideas, overall its not my cup of tea. M and K have done a great job, I don’t like see through kitchen cupboards or concrete floors but I am in no doubt there will be plenty of buyers out there for their style.
I tell you what I did like in some of the apartment kitchens, these butler kitchens. Fantastic idea. Keep all the bits and pieces out of site, love it. I thought I was doing well having a cupboard for my kettle, toaster etc., but if I ever built and had the money (neither of which will ever happen) I would love to include a butlers kitchen.

25 Anna { 07.21.13 at 10:49 am }

According to Herald TV Guide one team will get a score 30/30 this Thursday.

One team will get $30K knocked of their reserve.

Have to have a look at apartments online after I log in today. Will be good to see the finished product

26 Christina { 07.21.13 at 8:50 pm }

I am gobsmacked on tonight’s winner!!! Did NOT expect that at all. The most boring room. Didn’t the judges ask couples to be creative for these rooms? What the?????

27 Anna { 07.21.13 at 8:54 pm }

Cannot believe Bec came in second either.

Loved twins bathroom, wasn’t crazy about their rope art nor the entrance pendant art.

Guessing the producers want Bec to win come auction day

28 Christina { 07.21.13 at 10:12 pm }

Oh I loved Bec and George’s! Completely out there of course! I really liked T&Js but thought b&G for the win as they had the bigger job doing bed, bath and WIR. I loved the floating bed and other furniture choices too.

I give the twins credit for trying to be creative in their rooms (they probably lucked out with hallway/laundry combo) but unfortunately ended up looking a bit arts n crafty. They will no doubt smash it with the kitchen tho!

M&K was nice, but agree with the judges Wed seen it before. But they do do that style well!

M&JS was a bit blah compared the others. Am happy for them but still cannot believe they won!

29 Gabby { 07.21.13 at 10:25 pm }

The way this is going it’s going to be anyone’s auction, and I don’t think it’s fair after all the hard work that has been put in along the way.
Now for the winner to win because of this crazy cash give away, I think it stinks.
Did not like the twins light boxes or their rope work, very tacky, don’t know what they were thinking about there.
I thought M and K’s bedroom was more of the same. Trixie’s ensuite was great and the tiles were beautiful. Bec did hit on the out there, something different that they were after. I thought they would have won it. While Madi’s room was nice, it was ordinary nice and I thought they were after some real crazy style decorating, the way they kept telling everyone not to hold back.

30 wombat { 07.21.13 at 10:31 pm }

Judging Panel Transcript: Shaynna “There were some good rooms”; Neil “Yes, but lets work out the points”; Darren “I think either the twins or M&K will win so they get $0”; Shaynna “Someone is always going to buy a penthouse so they get $10K”; Darren “J&M have really struggled”; Neil “Too easy then, J&M get $20K leaving $15K for B&G”; Shaynna (fading out) “Mines a Chardonnay Darrren …”.

31 Anna { 07.22.13 at 6:59 am }

Last nights ‘wins’ were total BS!!

Lets be honest, the people who need to win the most won $0

Madi’s room wasn’t worthy of 20K

Bec’s room will get annoying after a few days & she used similar color pallet to Madi

Trixrer won 10 for one bathroom, really??

Twins lost the plot with the ‘art’, but they weren’t going to win this week

Herald guide tells me that this week

1. One couple will get a 30/30