The Great Australian Bake Off – The Biscuit Bake

It was biscuit bake time and Anzac biscuits were what a lot of the contestants were making.

Monique was making her blue ribbon Anzac biscuit, but also was Brendan who was doing his with a twist of caramel bits. Whilst Mark was doing a bitter version of them. The judges after tasting told them that you should not mess with a classic.

Kerry also revealed to Monique that she had also won a blue ribbon for baking at the Albany show, however Monique had won hers in Adelaide so surely this would put her higher up the blue ribbon food chain.

Blue ribbon or not Monique at this stage is not looking like a contender in the competition as she overcooked her biscuits. She is sitting in the middle of the pack, never in danger of elimination but nowhere near getting baker of the week.

Considering they only had an hour there were some amazing biscuits made with Sarah-Jane’s fizzing Orange and Mandarin Cremes looking very interesting indeed as did her Cornflake biscuits.

Sarah – Jane’s Fizzing mandarin Cremes looked fantastic, and Cornflake Biscuits

Jonathan continued to show is talent makding Choclate and Caramel Oat Biscuits, and Wagon Wheels. Dan Lepard was very enthusiastic about them saying they were really amazing.

Intense baker Julie was finally having a good bake with  Mango and Macademia Shortbread and Mint and Chocolate Vo Vo’s with Dan telling her “they were so special”.

The signature bake was the 70’s classic Brandy Snaps. They had to make twelve, ten filled and two left empty to snap.

Kerry when she was judging the snaps said “size is important”. Last week she said she liked things exploding in her mouth. All jokes aside she had asked they be 10 centimetres long and was measuring them with a ruler.

Sarah-Jane who at the start thought it was a great technical challenge was last. With surprise package Brendan second and Julie first.

Finally the show stopper was a Gingerbread House or gingerbread contraption.

Maria lost a piece of her gingerbread and turned around and accused Brendan of pinching it.But there were people with worst problems. Monique broke a wall and her church structure kept on collapsing. as did Sarah-Jane’s minature houses.

Nancy did an amazing carousel, horses and all and proved to Kerry they would stand up. Mark finally cooked something decent, an outback house.

After her second disaster of the day Sarah-Jane was eliminated and Julie was named star baker.

1 2paw { 07.24.13 at 11:36 am }

I am always more than a little surprised when contestants in any cooking show say “I have never cooked (insert item here)”. I would prepare for this competition by cooking my way through Stephanie Alexander or Margaret Fulton!!! I can also highly recommend letting the brandy snap mixture go cold and rolling it into balls before baking and using toffee to stick gingerbread structures together!!! I enjoy this far more than MC: I made brandy snaps a few weeks ago!!!

2 nanaliz { 07.24.13 at 11:38 am }

Really enjoying this show. The show has been cast for ability rather than personality. The only one I don’t like is Brendon. He seems really cocky. Nancy has some very funny faces she pulls but that carousal was cute. i was really impressed with with the detail of Julies dunny. Sarah-Jane had to go, she has been weak from the start.

3 Rosie { 07.24.13 at 11:54 am }

I am still enjoying this show.

Yes, no surpise seeing the departure of Sarah Jane. To me, she seemed to be the closest to one of our dreadful MC contestants – lots of back story, but little actual talent.

Who knew Mark would finally produce something good? I was amazed to see that his Aussie house looked great.

I know Brendan is one of the better cooks there, but I badly want him off my TV screen. Unless he grows past the age of 5. I’ll be pretty peeved if he wins.

I wonder why they didn’t focus more on Nancy’s merry go round? It looked so intricately made.

4 Maz { 07.24.13 at 11:56 am }

I thought it was two and half hours they had for the biscuits otherwise why would you even attempt to make marshmallow.

This is much better than MC5.

Nancy reminds me of Nigella with her direct eye contact with the camera.

5 Gabby { 07.24.13 at 11:57 am }

I really enjoy this show as well. Last night I would have given anything to have some of those biscuits in front of me, especially the brandy snaps, my all time favourite.
I’ve noticed over a couple of weeks, Monique, whenever criticised has an excuse for it but Kerry always puts her back in her place, which I like.
I’m not sure how much longer she will last. I really loved the sunny as well.

6 brain dead dave { 07.24.13 at 12:05 pm }

It might have been nice to use some small currants to represent and be inclusive of the dunny budgies in that gingerbread toilet.

It’s been interesting reading up on the use of eucalyptus in cooking and baking.

7 JavaHigh { 07.24.13 at 12:32 pm }

I turned over to the show last night during the start of the brandy snap challenge.
Swore I saw Kerry smoking a cigar until I realised she was chomping on a brandy snap.

And what did happen to Maria’s missing gingerbread wall? She did really well to recover from that.

Great to see Mark and his Snowy River Bark Hut. Looked fantastic. Measurements bang on.

8 Carole { 07.24.13 at 5:33 pm }

Wow, how many people made Anzac biscuits last night? Every second person seemed to be making them. And only 1 was any good. Some of the others sounded really yummy.

I’ve never eaten or made brandy snaps, but they look really fiddly and difficult. Can’t over or undercook them. Have to roll them while they are still warm, but can’t while they are too hot or you’ll burn yourself.

Hate ginger, so have never eaten or made a Gingerbread house. Way too difficult for me. Trying to get all those walls to stand up, then add the roof. No thank you. I’m sure if I attempted it it would fall apart. I was wondering the same thing about Maria’s missing piece. There’s cameras everywhere, surely someone would have seen what happened to it. Was really impressed with Mark, glad he finally put up something decent.

9 Taylor F { 07.24.13 at 7:29 pm }

I’m still really enjoying this show and it’s getting better every week. It’s clear that the vast majority of contestants were cast on talent. I was certain that Mark was there to make up the numbers but it’s clear he can bake.

I really don’t like Maria. She seems so disingenuous and insincere….as if she’s trying too hard to be liked and come across as likeable (you’re not). There’s cameras everywhere – if Brendan (or someone else) had taken her missing piece, I can guarantee that Ch 9 would have revealed it. I think she must have forgotten to bake it. I wasn’t impressed with her Eiffel Tower either. Most of her bakes are a bit boring, and can she please decorate something without those white or pink fondant flowers?

I LOVED Nancy’s carousel, and thought that was the best structure. She’s one to watch I think. I’m surprised they didn’t focus more on her bake as it was so beautiful & intricate. She seems really nice and sweet.

Brendan is annoying, and so is Julie. I really like Monique but I think she won’t last much longer.

10 OliviaG { 07.24.13 at 7:40 pm }

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one that can’t stand Maria either. She’s got talent – obviously – but I feel a bored indifference towards her. There’s a vibe about her that’s not right, and almost fake.

My favourites are Monique and Nancy. Monique because she seems like such a cool and unaffected person, and Nancy because she has some serious talent, especially for someone that is so young and has only been baking sporadically for 2 or 3 years.

Nancy’s merry-go-round was my favourite too. Mark’s bush hut looked pretty cool too. Wasn’t impressed with Brendan’s at all.

11 Lebay { 07.25.13 at 7:01 am }

Maria burnt that bit of her gingerbread…. Did she end up redoing it or did she forget??

12 Min { 07.25.13 at 7:54 am }

Good point. I thought she had forgotten to make it but maybe it was one of the pieces she burnt and then threw out.

The biscuits looked so yummy. I thought Julie’s dunny was a little strange. I understand what she was trying to do, but it didn’t look appetizing at all. She’s such a bogan isn’t she?

I wanted more pictures of Nancy’s carousel and Jonathan’s robot. They were the best I reckon, and Mark’s hut was simple but well done.

13 Taylor F { 07.25.13 at 7:58 am }

Agree. I think Monique will be the next to go. Or Mark.

I think Maria may win but I don’t want her to. Or perhaps Jonathan which wouldn’t be too bad..I like him. I want Nancy to win but that’s a long shot. Julie’s too competitive and unmarketable to win and Mark has no chance. If Brendan wins, I’ll eat my keyboard – he’s such a brat!

14 Astrid { 07.26.13 at 4:27 pm }

I really like watching the cooking, although it really annoys me how the judges sometimes don’t show you TASTING ALL THE FOOD!!! I mean, I’m sure they tasted all of the contestants biscuits, but on tv, there were times when they commented on the appearance, but didn’t bother to eat the food, or comment on it’s taste. And I can’t remember if they even tasted Jonathan’s Robot Gingerbread house thingy or not…

15 Linny { 07.26.13 at 4:37 pm }

I dunno, I kind of like Maria, but she’s not one of my favourites. Jonathan and Nancy are probably my favourites, as well as Monique.

I liked Julie’s dunny – I thought it was creative – but Nancy’s carousel was definitely my favourite. It looked so intricate and complicated. I think the judges should have given her a few more compliments about it – I mean, come on, it must have been hell to make!

16 Taylor F { 07.27.13 at 12:47 pm }

I get the impression that the judges aren’t taking Nancy seriously as she’s the youngest and I think she’s the most inexperienced. I think her background video said she’s only been baking casually for a couple of years, and learnt how to bake watching Youtube.

Most of her baking has been pretty impressive (I thought). Well, except her lemon meringue pie and the meat pie. She should just stay away from pies I think – ha!