Masterchef Australia – Liliana Must Be Pissed

The concept of this week’s challenges and format on paper probably looked good, but in practice it has seen two people who have cooked dish of the day be eliminated.

Pip earlier in the week was kicked off due to Daniel, who is still in the show, bad cooking, and last night Liliana who showed a lot of technique with her Butternut Pumpkin Tortoloni and Poached Butter Prawns was eliminated.

The challenge was an invention test that was to showcase butter, and it was a good way of integrating one of the show’s sponsors. Each team had to cook a main and dessert. On the line was the position to get back into the competition and also an immunity pin for the existing player.

It is fair to say the getting back into the show was the more important.

Liliana took main and Lynton did dessert. Her dish was amazing and the judges told her it was dish of the day. However Lynton’s Banana Cream Tart was a disaster. The pastry was raw, the banana’s tasted funny and there was too much cream.Β They were eliminated.

By the way Faiza made a comment about the pastry saying the more butter it has in it the longer it will take to cook. Not sure she is an expert in that area.

Vern who cooked had the other great dish of the day with his duck breast with fondant potatoes. But he was paired with Nicky who decided to make a Pannacotta without gelatine. Β It was a stupid gamble as the ginger did not set the buttermilk and he served up what looked like baby sick on a plate. Why would he do this and be relying on a chemical reaction that was beyond his control was just bad strategy. They also were eliminated. At least Nicky did not get back in on the strength of Vern’s dish as that would have been unfair as well.

So it was the two teams with the two average dishes that were about to get the big wins.

At one stage it looked like Xavier was going to get back in with a steak with hollandaise sauce and mash potato. None of the elements really cooked to perfection, as Gary described it as an average dish. Neha’s flourless chocolate tart looked delicious, but poached quinces were Lucy’s idea that she shouted down from the balcony.

Rishi had made a delicious Butter Quail, but the naan bread was flat as he did not have yeast, and Samira’s Baklawa with Mahlabnia was said to be too sweet. In the end Samira was back in as their dishes were seen to be more inventive.

What this week has meant was the three stronger eliminated contestants Jules, Pip and Liliana have been shown the door again through no fault of their own. Leaving a situation where a contestant has returned who at times as cooked well but really in her own cuisine. Will she be a contender I very much doubt it.

1 Georgie { 07.26.13 at 9:01 am }

Lol Joseph, you’d better apply for a mentoring role on XFactor.

2 Dr T { 07.26.13 at 9:23 am }

Helen@43 – I don’t think Emma stuffed up on purpose. If she and Faiza had won, Faiza would have been turfed out again fairly quickly.

3 gav { 07.26.13 at 10:12 am }

Agree with Dr T at 27. Liliana has proven, finally, that she can cook a good pasta dish. That is all. That was the first decent thing I saw her cook all season.

4 Priyanka Chopra { 07.26.13 at 10:25 am }

Yesterday, I was deeply sadden to see the best dish of the day by MasterChef contestant Liliana to be kicked off the show!

The reason was given that because the other contestant Lynton failed to deliver a proper dish during a “team challenge”. But, Liliana had fully redeemed herself, having delivered the best dish of the day as the Butternut Pumpkin Tortoloni and Poached Butter Prawns!

Lynton should had done the right thing and traded places with Liliana. So that his own failure would not sink Liliana. Even the judges said, had this not been a team challenge, she would had been allowed back into the contest based upon the merits of her cooking.

Liliana should be allowed back into the contest, for redeeming herself, by cooking the best dish of the day! She doesn’t deserve to be kicked off the show because the actions of another contestant Lynton failed to deliver a proper dish, who had nothing to lose.

MasterChef please do the right thing, admit the mistake of the team challenge, as it wasn’t based upon team effort, it was individuals dishes made by individuals. Your own judges all agreed, Liliana had the best dish, she had redeemed herself!

5 daisy { 07.26.13 at 10:33 am }

Didn’t Pip also get eliminated with her dish of the day this week?

The wheels have been of the MC bus all the way through as far as which contestants are the weaker ones. It’s been the ‘luck of the draw’ but I suspect not even that, as we conveniently had’ camera time token Muslim’ Samira teamed with Rishi and saved for Dubai. Think about how much camera time she has had compared to others.

6 Littlepetal { 07.26.13 at 10:38 am }

Most of us here agree that Pip and Liliana did cook some crackling dishes and should be in contention to get back in.

Unfortunately they set this stupid challenges by pairing the existing contestants and eliminated contestants together.

Based on the team efforts, I think they did eliminate the right teams in all this week challenges.

It is unfortunate that MC is not here to find the best cook. I noticed that they have not mentioned once that they are the best cook in Australia as compared to previous series. LOL

7 Eliza { 07.26.13 at 10:50 am }

You think the contestants get the hint that no one really thinks they can cook?! I would be feeling like the butt of all jokes if I were them and I’m sure most people who watch MC, like us, would have just preferred people who can cook rather than some comic relief!

Liliana and Pip aren’t the first people ever to be ‘wronged’ by a RTV show, so it may be frustrating but I wouldn’t have picked them as a winner anyway. My money is on Rishi if they want to scrape through with a bit of dignity, or even Christina, but I think Rishi is a stronger cook. They could try for a Lynton win but unlike Andy last year he hasn’t really started to shine yet.

8 Littlepetal { 07.26.13 at 10:59 am }

I didn’t find Andy from last series a strong cook (but still better than this lot). He couldn’t even fill his cookbook with his own recipes.

Vern is showing some potential. Let see what he can do in the next few weeks.

9 Priyanka Chopra { 07.26.13 at 12:36 pm }

@Georgie you were right!

For saying, “What was the point of being the best team in each of the challenges over the previous three days? They got no more advantage than the teams who came in second and third etc. The decider should have been the team with the best results over the whole four days.

Just it strikes me funny how Samira gets back into the contest with an overly sweet dish right before the shows goes on to Dubai. While Samira’s team partner Rishi’s flat bread wasn’t a hero of the innovation test challenge of the day.

Was this an obvious Kangaroo exercise done for ratings? As let’s face it, MasterChef Australia this season hasn’t been as good as recent seasons. The show has become Americanized!

Move over Gordon Ramsey.

10 Anna { 07.26.13 at 4:54 pm }

Received an email from ch10. They want me to enter ‘disaster chef’ comp and I could win a years supply of Nando

Why do they want viewers to enter? This years MC qualifies :-)

11 Carole { 07.26.13 at 6:20 pm }

This week’s challenge was so fucked up & totally unfair. Good cooks sent home while a mediocre one gets back in. What bullshit!!!!!

How can they complain about Rishi’s naan bread being flat when they don’t have bloody yeast in their pantry. They have EVERYTHING in there, and can’t supply yeast? WTF!!!!! The only complaint they had about Samira’s dessert was that it was too sweet. Well it’s a dessert, it’s supposed to be sweet.

Agree about Lynton’s puff pastry. Never tried to make it, just buy the sheets in the supermarket. But it takes ages to cook, let alone having to make it from scratch too.

Well at least, unlike Lilliana, Nikki went out on his own dish. I agree, why take such a risk. Did they not have gelatine or did he just not want to use it? If he was worried about the gelatine reacting to the ginger, MAKE ANOTHER BLOODY FLAVOUR!!!!!! I hate ginger, so it would have been horrible anyway.

While I didn’t think Samira should have been the one to come back in, I was glad Rishi won the immunity pin. It would have been ridiculous if Neha had got it.

In the promo for next week Nolene was giving the evil eye to Kelty and they showed him saying surely Nolene loves me and won’t give me bad stuff to cook or words to that effect. So I wonder if she will pick offal and give it to him.

12 daisy { 07.26.13 at 6:55 pm }

Carole I reckon it would have been hilarious for Neha to have won the immunity pin. We already can see that competitionwise the show has been a joke. That would be one more bit of proof.

13 daisy { 07.26.13 at 6:56 pm }

Sorry if I am not taking the show seriously.

14 brain dead dave { 07.26.13 at 7:11 pm }

I’m still getting over Jowl$y smothering his meatloaf in his patent barbecue sauce , which appeared to have everything but the kitchin sink thrown into it.

Love is this week’s theme on Ma$terchef. I’d love to see some of these culinary charlatans aliminated before things get dubious in Dubai.

P.S. Who else voted for Kelty besides me?

15 daisy { 07.26.13 at 7:14 pm }

Did you enjoy Jowlsy’s flight of the Bumble Bee costume last night?

I’m surprised he dared as he looked just like a large bee.

16 Anna { 07.26.13 at 7:19 pm }

It will be poetic justice if Samira is sent packing just before the trip to Dubai.
Her cooking was and still is substandard. She went on and on how her parents owned a successful bakery, which should meant that she can bake.
Her dessert wasn’t the best.. too sweet is not a good review

Naan bread was crap, dessert was too sweet and they’ve won? Some of the other teams one dish was praised & other mediocre and they were sent packing. Do producers think we are that stupid??

Samira being aliminated & coming back a few days later was just to get viewers talking….. hope it’s the last year of MC

17 brain dead dave { 07.26.13 at 7:23 pm }

# 65 In Jowl$y’s case it was “Plight Of The Bumblebee”. A bee with enormous jowls that can’t get airborne.

Thought I was watching a child’s pantomime. Look out for more pastel horse blanket suits this week.

18 daisy { 07.26.13 at 7:24 pm }

Anna there is NO WAY they won’t be taking Samira to Dobuy.

It’s a cert they will have her there. She’s their calling card.

19 Littlepetal { 07.26.13 at 7:46 pm }

So which two do you think will be eliminated next week?

My guess will be Noelene and Lucy. Emma has the immunity pin and will be safe.

20 Anna { 07.26.13 at 7:51 pm }

Damn, have to put up with Samira for a few more weeks… her attitude is annoying. It’s not her given right to win the damn show.

This week it’s a toss up between Gran Cranky pats, Lucy & if we are lucky Neeha would have used up all her 9 lives. No chance for a CPR like Samira received

21 daisy { 07.26.13 at 7:53 pm }

I don’t know. Do you think they might keep Noelene as they have given her lots of camera time. We can’t work it out by ability or it would be Neha.

22 daisy { 07.26.13 at 7:54 pm }

It might be Kelty and Neha.

23 Anna { 07.26.13 at 7:57 pm }

Only few males left, don’t see Kelty going just yet. Not sure if top 10 or top 8 going to Dobuy

24 Littlepetal { 07.26.13 at 7:58 pm }

I think they will want Neha for Dubai and for the Indian viewers. My wish will be Kelty and Neha. So it is not going to happen.

25 Anna { 07.26.13 at 8:01 pm }

Only 4 males left. They might want them to hang around to do another male vs female challenge. This whole damn season has been about challenges.

Hardly any chefs made an appearance this year

26 Littlepetal { 07.26.13 at 8:03 pm }

Now they have even out the males to females ratio. With the original Top 10, there were 5 males and 5 females

27 Anna { 07.26.13 at 8:11 pm }

Cranky Pants ; Lucy & Neeha

Vern & Kelty

Should be gone before Dobuy

Then Daniel, Samira before the top 4 are announced

Emma & Rishi have pins but should not make it to the finale

Guessing it’s between Christina and Lynton this year, with Christina taking it out.

Still think Jules needed it more….

28 Zhee { 07.26.13 at 8:48 pm }

Next persons out will be Lucy (would prefer the evil twin sister of Dame Edna get kicked out but they seem to have a soft spot for her. Judging from her TV presence I wouldn’t want her as my granny but it seems the producers think people like her due to her “humour”) and Daniel (his hair, please wash the hair!). Amina’s evil twin sister Samira isn’t leaving until reching top 5 – I have a very bad feeling they will try to put her int the finale with maybe Rishi and Christina (Christina is nice, marketable and easy on the eye, so she might be good for the finale). In the end it will be Rishi or her to win.
Lynton will make it to top 5 simply because I want to watch him longer. πŸ˜€ And I guess other female viewers would tolerate his McDreamy eyes a bit longer as well.

Hopefully Emma will be gone soon. Shame she does have an immunity pin. Her bangs irritate me so much. Who the hell told her they look good? :S It’s like Betsey Johnson-hair just for the masses.

29 Carole { 07.27.13 at 8:18 am }

I was most disappointed they weren’t playing Meat Loaf while making the meatloaf on the Masterclass show. Don’t they know that’s the law? I sent Matt a tweet about it and he wrote back he missed the boat on that one.

30 Georgie { 07.27.13 at 8:28 am }

Lol Carole? Maybe Pink Floyd’s ‘Pigs on the Wing’ should be the MC theme song then. πŸ˜‰

31 brain dead dave { 07.27.13 at 11:19 am }

“You Took The Words Right Out Of My Jowls”
“Fat Out Of Hell”
“Thunder Thighs By The Dashboard Light”

32 Littlepetal { 07.27.13 at 9:51 pm }

Eliza, if you want to know who will be eliminated on Mon night, go and look at The Living Room latest episode at the 37m 9s mark.

33 Littlepetal { 07.28.13 at 7:58 pm }

Kelty thinks salmon and custard apple is a good combination and he wants to juilinne the custard apple and then pickle it. How do you julienne custard apple???

34 Littlepetal { 07.28.13 at 8:03 pm }

Why do the judges keep giving advice to Samira and Kelty??

35 Andrea { 07.28.13 at 8:31 pm }

Littlepetal, they just love those two for some reason.

36 Morgan { 07.28.13 at 10:08 pm }

Yes it’s funny how Kelty manages to put up a good dish only when the judges coach him heavily and give him advice. They really want him to make Top 5.

Hope Neha or Vern go tonorrow.

37 Littlepetal { 07.28.13 at 10:15 pm }

The promo more or less tell you who will be eliminated tomorrow night.

38 VioletsRBlue { 07.28.13 at 11:20 pm }

Yes, hopefully Neha goes. She is boring and can’t cook… Regarding the promo littlepetal don’t be shy and spill the beans! I expect Rishi to cook and leave the pin for later. He would be silly to use it now. If he can’t outcook Neha than he might as well leave now.

39 VioletsRBlue { 07.28.13 at 11:28 pm }

Why Emma has so many votes????? She hasn’t cooked anything special. Have the double cooked chips impressed audience so much? Sorry to anyone who voted for her but I’m just really intrigued so see her getting so many votes!

40 daisy { 07.28.13 at 11:36 pm }

I don’t get it either Violets. I would rank her somewhere in the middle of this pack.

41 Eliza { 07.29.13 at 1:36 am }

Yeah, who’s voting for Emma? Now poor Lynton is 3rd. Geez!

Kelty really ‘knows’ when to pull a decent dish outta the bag..

Good one, Littlepetal.. Love your sleuthing! I was actually watching this episode but didn’t pay much attention. Again, terrible editing by the MC promo team. How’d you know I love a good spoiler?!

42 Carole { 07.29.13 at 7:09 am }

I voted for Rishi, but I don’t mind Emma much.

43 Zhee { 07.29.13 at 7:57 am }

Wow, how can Emma be ranked second while cute Christian is only number 4? :S Maybe some of the people voting for her have those awful bangs as well. πŸ˜€ Sorry, I don’t know but Emma’s bangs scare me.^^

Btw, what is custard apple? Have never seen or tasted it? Some apple growing in Australia a lot?

44 daisy { 07.29.13 at 7:59 am }

On MC : Maybe when making this season’s MC the producers already knew it would be the last and so didn’t put much effort into the cooking aspect.

45 Littlepetal { 07.29.13 at 8:31 am }

I know I am ahead of myself but they still have a team challenge next Mon and best team get a chance to go to the immunity challenge. Vern got ripped off for having to compete against a chef whereas the others just have to cook the best among themselves.

46 Simone { 07.29.13 at 10:12 am }

Absolutely littlepetal, Verne was shafted there. On the other hand, wasn’t that the one where they got the contestants to decide amongst themselves who would be competing? So it was already weirdly unfair before the cooking started.

47 Evan { 07.29.13 at 10:14 am }

Hi guys and girls!
I too am fairly disappointed with Masterchef 2013 so far.
I think the producers this year have blatantly tried to imitate MKR, in terms of casting personalities rather than actually good cooks.
Is there really a Julie Goodwin or Poh or Marion amongst this current bunch? They all seem fairly pedestrian – the only real standouts for me are Rishi, Christina, Lucy and Vern(the exception was last night).
I think Daniel and Lynton were cast pretty much to attract the female viewers, while Samaira is really an inferior carbon copy of Amina from last year.
I kinda like Noelene, but I do not see her as a winner, and as for Kelty – he is damned irritating.
The biggest joke of all is Emma having an immunity pin – shades of Dani Venn from a couple of seasons ago.
Lilliana or Pip really should be back in this competition – either or both of them could win the whole thing.
Rishi or Christina really should win the whole thing, unless of course the remaining challenges are contrived in such a way to assist Lynton or Daniel.
Who will be eliminated tonight? I suspect Vern, because he seems to fall apart when it comes to desserts.

48 bill bean { 07.29.13 at 3:53 pm }

This show is so obviously rigged Blind Freddy could see it in a darkened room .When the deadlines come up some contestants have zero chance of plating up with the time they have left why is it that there has never been a contestant with no dish to present ?.Some of the good cooks present rubbish dishes at certain times to give other contestants an advantage totally fake being in pairs unfair advantage to the good cooks .Samira should never have been there in the first place and how Nolene has survived is a complete farce SLOW SLOW SLOW !!!!!!!! Fake .