The Block Finale – And The Winners Were….

No tears of disappointment, as they were all winners when it came to raking in the cash tonight but not when it came to gaining good friendships from the series. You suspect Lysandra and Alisa and Matt and Kim won’t be keeping in touch with the others if the scene where they had to decide the order of the auction was anything to go by. It was a bit of a scrag fight.

In the end the 29 year-old twins, Lysandra and Alisa won The Block showing that two women can win it and it is quite impressive considering they were the only team not to have a tradie in it. Their first-floor apartment sold in the first auction of the night for $1.435 million – $295,000 over its reserve price of $1.14 million. Add in the $100,000 they won for making the most profit and they have taken home $395,000.

It was very interesting that Madi and Jarrod came in second just $4000 short of taking first prize. If they had won the last two weeks of renovating the garden apartment would have pushed them over the line. Their apartment sold for $1.601 million – $291,000 above its reserve price of $1.31 million.

There have been rumours this couple have broken up. I am no body language expert but there was little sign of affection between the two. Madi did not touch Jarrod at all and had her hands clasped together throughout the auction. Jarrod right at the end put his arm around her but she barely registered him and did not touch him. However a quick bit of research aka checking their instagram accounts show they were at the State Of Origin together a few days ago.

The penthouse brought in $205,ooo profit for Trixie  and Johnno Johnson and they were stoked. They sold their apartment for the highest amount, of $1.605 million, however it was the lowest profit of the night. Their reserve was $1.4 million.

Bec and George Douros third-floor apartment was purchased for $1.507 million, which was $242,000 over its reserve price of $1.265 million. They can console themselves that they were voted audience favourite winning Scott Cam’s motor bike. George and Bec said they did not know how to operate it. They should do what they always do in situations where they don’t know what to do and ask their builder and mate Tom.

Matt and Kimberley Owen were stoked when they won $250,000. Their level two apartment sold for $1.455 million – $250,000 higher than its reserve price of $1.205 million.

Everyone was reaping the rewards for putting up with all the hard work and physical and mental torture that is The Block.

The next series is on in 2014.

1 Carol { 07.29.13 at 5:12 pm }

Yeah my preference to win was either Bec & George or Trixie & Johnno. Much more likeable characters. The stupid headband wearer nearly popped the headband with the stress of Madi & Jarrod inching closer and closer. Much as I didn’t want the girls to win… I didn’t want Dumb & Dumber to win either. So… who is up for Big Brother?

2 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 5:19 pm }

Sue N @50 I agree about builders putting there ideas forward. And the twins were always asking Shiran, I like him but sometimes it was his designs they took credit for. And whatever happened to contestants doing their own painting. Again bent rules for the twins when redoing their ceiling in the covered terrace. It was Shiran’s crew painting not the girls. Was not a fan of their’s and for that reason I was disappointed they won. I wasn’t fussed on any one particular team but was glad that all teams did well.

3 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 5:30 pm }

Carole will definitely be there for BB

4 Warble { 07.29.13 at 5:52 pm }

Bit unfair to bag the girls for wanting the $100,000. That’s a big prize! Additionally, unlike all the others, their winnings were split in half. So whilst the couple’s winnings go towards one house, the twin’s winnings go towards two.

5 brain dead dave { 07.29.13 at 6:07 pm }

No doubt all the contestants wanted the $100, 000.

But the wanton greed and nastiness of the toxic twins toward that end didn’t go unnoticed.

From their dribblings on TV this morning ,a fair chunk of the winnings will be put toward their “Twinterior” design business “dream”. Yawn.

6 Gabby { 07.29.13 at 6:18 pm }

It’s such a shame because most people do not deny that they didn’t do a good job and didn’t
deserve the win, it’s just no one wanted them to win because they weren’t nice people, they didn’t play the game noice.
I suppose the negative press is like water off a duck’s back. They’re laughing all the way to the bank as the saying goes.
Now bring on Big Brother!

7 Andrea { 07.29.13 at 6:19 pm }

Only 40 minutes to go Gabby!

8 Zhee { 07.29.13 at 6:35 pm }

I didn’t mind the twins winning in the end. In the end they did do the best job. And as far as I remember you could see much much reno stuff done by the twins than by Bec or Trixie – and let’s not forget Madi. The girls did a lot and I think “asking Shiran” – they did this because he’s experienced, they were not.

I think Bec & George should have com second, M&K third, T&J fourth and last place for Madi and Jarrod. Don’t know why they tried to push them to a win. Why not push Bec and George? Madi was worse than both of the twins. How she behaved towards Jarrod (and no, this can’t be only achieved by bad editing).

9 Anonymous { 07.29.13 at 7:39 pm }

The girls had an unfair advantage because they had two stylists whilst the other pairs had a trade and one stylist. The judging was purely about styling not the workmanship. The girls kept winning so could afford the tradies. House Rules was way better because it was about real renovations.

10 Anon too { 07.29.13 at 10:51 pm }

I cannot see the difference between the twins using a builder for every room, a builder who constantly offered advice and guidance, from the use of landscapers to advise and guide. The twins and Matt and Kim had real estate agents come in and advise on aspects of their units. Thankfully the ultimate test in this game is value to the buyer, what is someone prepared to pay? Looks like M and J judged that better than anyone here. As to the remarks re their personal life, that is absolutely nobody’s business. I am awestruck by the breadth and depth of personal criticism these contestants have endured, all levelled by people whose only experience of the contestants is controlled by creative editing. Breathtaking.

11 Yarra32 { 07.30.13 at 1:04 am }

Congrats to the sisters. Pleasure to watch them at least they are frank. T&J deserved to win more, but alas played out by the reserve game.

I don’t like to criticize, but M&J close win is really unjustified. Pretty obvious she lost confidence and started nicking ideas from everyone. Even Trix and Bec complained. Now that “Coppocks on the rocks” is all over the news, did the producers stage the wins to keep things together?

12 Zhee { 07.30.13 at 7:33 am }

Sorry, Trixie’s more likeable than the twins? Don’t think so. Johno is awesome and I felt sorry for him regarding Trixie.I think he only did the Block because she wanted that exposure. He’s the typical introverted guy, but I really liked him.
Trixie – her laugh, her attitude towards others winning somethin during the show, her comment regarding: If designers she admired would have been the judges she had won the rooms. Uhm well, she didn’t get the memo…

I think the twins worked hard, you saw them do a lot reno by themselves, unlike Trixie or especially Madi. They earned their win in the end and I don’t believe they are as unlikeable as they were shown on TV. Madi was also worse than them. How she treated Jarrod was really awful – poor guy, wouldn’t disagree if he left her…

13 Anonymous { 07.30.13 at 7:51 am }

14 Sue N { 07.30.13 at 8:29 am }

Trixie probably worked the hardest of all the women I think, based on what we saw/heard on the show! Her laugh may have been annoying, but I think she was genuine and hardworking.

15 Anon too { 07.30.13 at 9:39 am }

Oh my goodness…. IT IS EDITED BEYOND BELIEF….. why do people think they can make informed judgements about how hard people worked or what a relationship is like when all they see is the heavily and “creatively” edited 25 to 45 mins of 15 hours filming. I am gobsmacked that people write their opinion as if its the only possibility. Really yarra32 if you don’t like to criticise then why did you??? I had thought there may be some slightly more intelligent feedback in this forum, than say facebook, but clearly I was wrong.

16 Zhee { 07.30.13 at 10:01 am }

The shows are made to actually favour someone or dislike them. So what? We can only judge from what we see – and surely all of us know it’s edited. But still those concepts work that specific way. If it wouldn’t no one would watch those shows. Everyone who watches it forms their opinions. So again: So what? Also the people who join those shows as contestants should be aware that they might get ripped a new one or be loved beyond believe.
And then again: The stuff is edited but in the end the contestants are the ones who say stupid things which get used during air time. It’s not that every single word is cut together to end up being a stupid comment.
Same with the way you meet people the first time: First impression and usually you judge directly if you want to get to know the person or if you don’t.

PS: What’s with the sense of fashion on the block? Those annoying headbands, Bec, one of the twins (still don’t know wihich one^^)… And the sofa blanket Trixie wore (but then again, her clothes match up her boring apartment to the best).

PPS: In the end the best apartment won. It wasn’t a sympathy auction, although I would have liked to see B&C win. 😉

17 Sue N { 07.30.13 at 10:03 am }

I guess we can only form our opinions on what we see/hear after all. & I meant to add that I thought some of Trixie’s styling was “interesting” and her comment about designer may have been a tad delusional, but I still think, (IMO) based on what we saw, which is all we can go by really, that she worked hard and seemed very genuine.

I really am not sure how we can comment on things that weren’t on the actual show or in factual
media???

18 Sue N { 07.30.13 at 10:12 am }

comment authoritatively… I mean (altho I may have been guilty of this at times)

19 Littlepetal { 07.30.13 at 11:00 am }

Anon too-please also remember that opinions and comments are based on what we see on our tele. We are commenting the characters/persons on the screen and not the actual persons.

So what do you expect us to discuss as we don’t know the contestants, we can’t comment on what was shown as they were not accurate. What feedback can we give when we don’t have all the facts?

The same rules apply both ways whether negative or positive, they are all based on what was shown.

20 Anon too { 07.30.13 at 3:24 pm }

Yes I agree people can only comment on what they perceive they know and I acknowledge its difficult for us to operate any other way. The thing is it is a terrifying experience to see hurtful and ill informed judgements being made about something, that in this instance, I do know about. It makes me worried about how much of the information we use to judge others and form opinions is based on information that is potentially flawed. For this reason I think posters should consider what they write and avoid personal comments about contestants. Real people with real feelings inhabit the body of those being discussed. I assume the people in question don’t read forums such as these and for that I’m thankful.

21 brain dead dave { 07.30.13 at 3:54 pm }

We’re free to comment on the product as it appears on the screen. Why speculate on what may have or may not have happened in the editing room?

Real people with real feelings comment here, too.

As for anonymous wankers trying to tell others what to think and how to write about reality TV…take it to Oprah.com.

22 Gabby { 07.30.13 at 5:17 pm }

I suppose when people sign up for these reality shows they realise they are going to be shown warts and all and have to be prepared for the good and the bad feedback, it’s the way it goes. They are putting their life out there for us to watch and if we want to comment on what we see, good or bad, well so be it and they just have to learn to live with it and so do you. I don’t feel bad about anything I have written, critical or otherwise.
It’s called having an opinion.
Do you know any of the tenants from The Block? Maybe you could enlighten us to who’s personality we have really got wrong?

23 Anna { 07.30.13 at 5:26 pm }

Silly thought regarding the placement of contestants.

Level 5 Qld
Level 4 NSW
Level 3 VIC

levels 2 & 1 went to WA & SA

24 Techhater { 07.30.13 at 5:29 pm }

I’ve said this before and i’ll say it again. If people are going to put themselves on a reality tv show and want to be shown in a positive light. Then don’t give the producers anything negative to work with. If you don’t say it they can’t air it.

25 Zhee and her stuck comments { 07.30.13 at 6:24 pm }

Techhater, same with me. If they say something stupid, the editors can take the material and dig you into a little hole. It’s not the first reality TV show, those shows are on the air now for 10 years or more. They should know how it works.

Those concepts are built on the viewers form their opinions, finding people they root for because they like them. Some like M&K because they were the underdogs, some liked the twins because they worked hard and had the annoying feature to annoy all the contestants because they always were quite opinionated, some like George because he could lay bricks in world record time, then again some disliked Trixie because she didn’t understand that the she works for a client – not herself and seemed delusional, some disliked the twins because they were annoying, people disliked Madi because she was shown treating Jarrod badly.
All of this stuff could only be shown because they actually said and did that stuff.

Same with meeting people in the real world. We judge quickly if we want contact, get to know them better or not. One simple thing leads us to not get to know that person – let it be a big nose, annoying laugh, things they say and so on.