Masterchef Australia – Love Week – With A Love Bites Mystery Box

The theme is LOVE on Masterchef this week, but last night it more more like love bites. The contestants thought they were feeling the love from the judges when they saw an empty mystery box.  They were able to choose six ingredients, with one having to be from a “difficult” section which included some unusual tropical fruits, sea urchins and offal.

However once they had selected they were then told that love was all about giving and sequentially they had to give their box to someone else.

Noelene was first, and I have to say I love her dry sense of humour and straight talking persona. She said she was thinking of giving it to Lucy but did not want to do that to her and decided as she had to pick brains it had to go to Kelty. He was not real happy, however Christina was not rapt when she received his salmon and custard apple combination and he thought he was doing her a favour!

However she did end up doing a great job with it. After she made crispy skin salmon with custard apple puree. The judges told her it was the prettiest dish of the night. George told her it was “Genius”. Even after being told all that she still did not make top four.

Rishi was lucky as he got to cook his own box as Lucy decided to give Neha her box after she had given hers to Lucy. This meant Rishi had no one to give his to. He blew his advantage plating up a very ordinary Herb Pasta with Chicken Hearts dish. Gary declared “It was the most pedestrian dish he had cooked on Masterchef”. Has Rishi peaked too early?

Samira who was freaking out about getting sea urchin played around with how to serve it and decided it tasted best raw. She made Sea Urchin and Tuna in a broth – Gary said it is the first beautiful restaurant style dish she had put up in the competition and he loved it.

Noelene also had sea urchin. But as usual Noelene did too many things.  She pan seared tuna with sesame seeds and served  the sea urchin raw in a vinegar marinade alongside sea urchin pastries. Gary liked the sea urchin in the vinegar, but he thought the tuna was a bit clunky on the plate.

Kelty made Crumbed Lamb Brains  and was smart and made a mushroom and chorizo chutney to go with it.  Gary said the chutney was absolutely gorgeous and Matt said it was the best dish he has cooked.

Daniel we did not see much of this episode, however his  pan seared sweet breads dish was one of the top four dishes of the day which was a bit bizarre as the judges feedback was he had done a “good job”, which is not as complimentary as “genius” as Christina received.

Emma’s mushroom rosti  was judged to be middle of the road but she knew it.

Lynton now back making savoury shined with  his quail with carrots dish. He was told it was delicious. I doubt Lynton can win as he is too much like Andy the winner of last year. Lovely but bland.

Neha proved that her time in the competition is ticking away when she did pavlova with mint cream serving it with some lemongrass tea. She added in too much cornflour as anyone who has ever made pavlova could see when she made it.

Lucy was also making a meringue but she did an italian meringue pouring hot sugar syrup into egg whites. The judgs said her deconstructed pavlova with dragonfruit cream was better than Neha’s but they were not in raptures about it.

Vern was having a disaster. He decided not to do a cheesecake as he thought it was playing it too safe. But his ice cream did not set and he served up a dish of “custard” in a lemon skin, alongside some poached rambutans. If desserts are your week point why wouldn’t you play it safe?

Bottom four were Rishi, Neha, Vern and Noelene. With Noelene being told she was safe for the moment, but if Rishi plays his immunity pin she will have to step into the elimination challenge. She seemed unfazed by that and thought he should play it as she certainly would.

Which dish did you like the best?

Masterchef on TEN Sunday to Thursday night at 7.30pm.

1 Culinary Boner { 07.29.13 at 10:34 am }

I didn’t tune in last night, but hope to catch up tonight with a taped episode.
Love Week? Really?
Perhaps I’ll just wait for Death & Sex Week, instead.

2 Reality Raver { 07.29.13 at 10:34 am }

CB – Any suggestions for challenges?

3 Rosie { 07.29.13 at 10:49 am }

Amazingly, I enjoyed the show last night. The focus was on the cooking, and we got to see everyone’s dish.

But Vern? Here in Australia we pronounce route as “root”, not “rowt”…

4 Jas { 07.29.13 at 10:57 am }

Hey RR – Christina was singled out for praise at the end of the ep. I don’t think the judges actually said “dish of the day” but she was mentioned after the other 4 impressive dishes.

5 brain dead dave { 07.29.13 at 10:59 am }

Verne’s chances are “routed”. He’s massively over rated.

That’d be the first time Kelty’s been in possession of any brains.

Dish Of The Day or Douche Of The Day. All the same in S5 of Ma$terchef.

6 Andrea { 07.29.13 at 11:28 am }

I didn’t like the look of any of the dishes really, this offal thing has been done to death just because Noelene is Queen of the offal, yuck!
Don’t like anything deconstructed either, why not just make a traditional, beautiful pavlova?
Rishi probably needed to be taken down a peg or two and Daniel will probably win just like Andy did that time since we hardly see him do any cooking!
I think last night at least three or four of them explained about their boxes and what they had to do, just in case we missed it from the judges, what are we, two year olds who can’t understand the rules? Its so annoying.

7 Culinary Boner { 07.29.13 at 11:47 am }

Raver@2, I reckon Callum’s custard could fulfill both criteria.

8 Joseph Skyrim { 07.29.13 at 11:55 am }

Interesting food last night, but more entertaining to see who gave boxes to who. Good on Kelty for making an awesome dish! 😀 Would not like to have a jar on a plate though (Christina) despite how it may taste.

Anywho, could this be the end of Rishi!?! Would be ironic if it is because that would mean he didn’t use his pin AND stuffed up worse than Vern and Neha. Given Vern’s weakness with dessert he’s probably in trouble tomorrow. I really dislike Samira but good move throwing a spanner in his works by forcing him to make a sweet dish.

9 Littlepetal { 07.29.13 at 11:55 am }

Didn’t see much with Daniel’s dish and his recipe is the only one up on MC website. Very strange that they don’t focus more on the great dishes.

10 Littlepetal { 07.29.13 at 12:04 pm }

Why does Yeeha want to do a dessert when she said she is not good with dessert. Can’t she pick something else. Of course at the end of the day it doesn’t matter as the boxes were swapped.

11 Littlepetal { 07.29.13 at 12:16 pm }

Vern and Neha are weak with desserts but I think Vern will do better if there is a recipe. Not sure with Neha. Remember she was so slow with the ice cream challenge.

12 Joelle { 07.29.13 at 12:17 pm }

Hi RR, Samira was first and she gave her ingredients to Vern, who ended up in the bottom four, smart move by her

13 brain dead dave { 07.29.13 at 12:20 pm }

What I most dislike about Verne is that he continues to sweat, wipe his brow and then progresses to dipping his finger into the custard and tasting. Dirty.

Gorging Gazza bagged Neha’s Pav but it didn’t stop him taking two enormous mouthfuls. Oink.

14 Gabby { 07.29.13 at 12:28 pm }

I thought it was a smart move by Samira. It’s paying off, so far. Strategy in the kitchen.

15 Veronica { 07.29.13 at 12:43 pm }

I just wish Samira would stop congratulating herself.

16 Carole { 07.29.13 at 12:43 pm }

It cracked me up last night the looks on all their faces when told they would have to give their box to someone else. Lucy asks are they kidding? I thought, no Lucy, they are not kidding. You should know by now they NEVER joke about things like that.

How many bloody times are we going to have to see Kelty cook offal? But, lucky for him he used some brains this time, ha ha, I’m funny, and cooked something decent. No repeat of that ghastly liver he cooked earlier on. Now can we please NEVER see offal again in this competition. It’s been done to death.

The judges hypocrisy is really annoying. They tell Vern off for not making a cheesecake and making whatever the hell it was that he made. If he had made a cheesecake, they would probably have told he he ‘played it safe’. You can’t have it both ways.

Poor Rishi!!! What happened? Such a shame his dish wasn’t that great.

I’ve never eaten sea urchin, let alone cooked it. Would not not what the hell to do with it. It looked really weird, like a paste. Half of those fruits I have never heard of. I don’t really like custard apple either. That is a misleading name, as I like custard and apples and it is not like either of them. It has a weird smell and a strange taste. It does not taste like apple pie and custard, which it should with a name like that.

I agree Andrea about the pavlova. That one that Lucy put up was ridiculously small. Why the hell didn’t she make it bigger? How are all 3 of those judges supposed to eat that?

I agree, Joseph, that jar looked weird that Christina put up. I would not like my food served like that either.

17 abc { 07.29.13 at 12:45 pm }

well not all the days are same. rishi blew up but will be back with a bang. I do not reckon he will use his pin today.
I still stand by what i said last time. Not many people got what i was trying to say. In the last article i read a comment about some contestants of season4. It said that audra, mindy, kylie, julia and andy were the best.
I say that audra and mindy simpy always made asian. Kylie stuck to desserts and was not very successful in that too. For some reason I do not like andy. Should not have won. Reaching the top 6 made him cook a little better than before. not a deserving winner. Julia was good. She maybe also stuck to just desserts and many a times stuffed up the other non-dessert dishes but still she was better than andy.
I also feel that ben was under-rated. Yes he made mexican in the first bit of the series but after top 15 he hardly made any mexican and got really good reviews. He also made some of the toughest dishes of the season to perfection.
I did not write in short hand this time. Hope you all get what I am trying to say. CHEERS. :)

18 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 12:48 pm }

I actually wonder how far Kelty would’ve got if he hadn’t been told to poach the brains first. The same with Samira and Noelene being told how to open the sea urchins. I’ve never seen so much “help” given this far into the season. It’s ridiculous.

And as far as Yeeha calling herself a “dessert chef” as opposed to Lucy being a dessert queen. OMG

19 Littlepetal { 07.29.13 at 3:29 pm }

I do agree with you, TH. The judges have been giving advice to Samira and Kelty one too many.

There were so much praise for Kelty’s dish but no recipe on MC website.

20 brain dead dave { 07.29.13 at 3:33 pm }

Gary turd polished said Kelty “pulled another one out of the bag”. I suspect he pulled it out of somewhere else.

Kelty and $amira both have ammunity pins…invisible ones.

21 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 3:36 pm }

Littlepetal would we REALLY want Kelty’s recipe for BRAINS???
Not in my kitchen. :-S

22 Littlepetal { 07.29.13 at 3:48 pm }

NO, TH but if it is so good it should be up. This series there are more recipes from Nando and the judges than there are from the contestants. What a pathetic bunch.

23 Culinary Boner { 07.29.13 at 3:59 pm }

Let’s see. What’s the theme this week. Oh, that’s right…Sharin’ the Love…

Doggy bag for Kelty’s culinary home run…

24 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 4:28 pm }

CB Lol Kelty’s doggie bag. It reminds me of a shot of Lucy on the balcony last week. She looked just like Munch’s “The Scream”

25 Andrea { 07.29.13 at 4:53 pm }

Techhater, LOL The Scream, that’s a good one, so apt for Lucy, and CB, I love the bag of brains, do you get fries with that?
So funny gice, thank you for the laugh!
Carole, yes, that pavlova was so tiny and the judges were so serious tasting it, you have a similar palate to me I reckon, who could be bothered with sea urchins, custard apples, offal and the like?

26 Culinary Boner { 07.29.13 at 5:34 pm }

Very subtle of the usually boom-tish MCA production team to serve unctuously salty creamy gonads* during “Lurve Week” rather than the more smirk-inducing, but even less edible, sea cucumber.
Very subtle indeed.
Oh. And so very disappointing.

*”” Uni (oo-nee) is the Japanese name for the edible part of the Sea Urchin. While colloquially referred to as the roe (eggs), uni is actually the animal’s gonads”

27 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 5:53 pm }

CB Thank you so much. You are truly a wealth of UNIque (gonad) information. 😛

So glad you’re back.

28 Zhee { 07.29.13 at 6:42 pm }

Phew, I don’t know why I am still watching that piece of a show. Hopefully it is really the last season. What would be season 7? Dumpster diving for ingredients to cook even worse than this year? It’s really sad to see how the show went downhill from one to anther season.

As for the team challenges. Wah. I hate it when they focus on it. Project Runway did it last season and they scrapped the teams directly in the current season and well, it’s back to it’s good old ways.
Is this week a team challenge set as well? :( Hopefully not.

29 Dr T { 07.29.13 at 7:32 pm }

Ah – the obligatory BS over the immunity pin (“Will he? Won’t he?”) gives me enough time to go and empty and import hollow viscous (link above to a lovely descriptive cake)

30 Dr T { 07.29.13 at 8:11 pm }

Look, I know this is bad, but I won’t miss Yeeha’s accent

“I have to get mai cayke into the blaster chiller”

31 Dr T { 07.29.13 at 8:25 pm }

I think the baking paper adds an interesting textural element. Inventive! Sadly this was the Masterchef equivalent of a full bladder – the pressure test.

32 Aborader { 07.29.13 at 8:35 pm }

I thought Christina’s mention afterwards was them singling out the fact that she was even better than the rest. (At least that’s how I took it)

33 daisy { 07.29.13 at 8:38 pm }

Just watching last nights MC.
Weird things:
Kelty choosing custard apple. I thought they were pretty tasteless.
Noelene showing her divversity …and going straight for the brains…again.

Now I can hear Woolif complaining from the kitchen; “Oh no. This isn’t a proper competition” .

34 Littlepetal { 07.29.13 at 8:41 pm }

A ripe custard apple is sweet and creamy. It is tasteless when it is not ripe. That is why I was questioning Kelty technique of trying to juliene the custard apple.

35 Littlepetal { 07.29.13 at 8:42 pm }

Aborader-who is better than the rest?

36 daisy { 07.29.13 at 8:44 pm }

Thanks Littlepetal. I hae not tasted custard apple but have only been told they are ery bland. Perhaps I should try one next time I am at the farmers’ market.

37 daisy { 07.29.13 at 10:12 pm }

You can see I am haing trouble with my “v” key. Them kids have been hammering it with their games.

38 Eliza { 07.29.13 at 11:44 pm }

Nice impersonation, Dr T.

I enjoyed watching tonight’s ep knowing Neha was going home (thanks again, Littlepetal!). Glad that Verne got through as he still definitely has more talent than a number of contestants still left.

39 Aborader { 07.30.13 at 7:41 am }

Littlepetal – Christiana (In this episode)

40 Romance Four Pieces Of Blue Crystle Plating { 07.30.13 at 10:15 pm }

[…] Masterchef Australia – Love Week – With A Love Bites Mystery Box … He blew his advantage plating up a very ordinary Herb Pasta with Chicken Hearts dish. Gary declared . I really dislike Samira but good move throwing a spanner in his works by forcing him to make a sweet dish. 9 Littlepetal  […]