SPOILER SPOILER Big Brother 2013 Kicks Off Tonight Some News From The Launch

Big Brother kicks off tonight on NINE but the first episode was filmed last night on the Gold Coast. The has been many promos talking about the twist so stop reading now if you don’t want to know any more about the twist or the contestants going into the house. But I must say this year looks like it could be quite interesting indeed.

A sequin from Sonia Kruger’s dress told me:

• Stage looks similar, however  no grassed area out the back any more for the audience to stand and watch the show;
  • Sonia Kruger was good;
  • House is divided in half with a perspex wall where housemates had to choose a key to see which half they went into;
  • One half is luxurious, other half is for the poor people, everything is halved, such as half a clock, half a bed etc;
  • Diary room is posh in the rich half and a very basic chair in the poor side;
  • Sharon, the 41 yr old is the oldest, everyone else appears to be in their twenties though a contestant Ben is 30, who apparently hilarious.
  • The model girl (Tahan) seen last week in the commercials is in the poor half and at this stage looks like she is a bit of a cow; (Ed note: this could be due to being in the scummy side of house);
  • One guy looks like Shane Warne and there are more than one set of twins in the house;
  • On the second night there is another twist, thinks by the clues it is another couple going into the house who do not know each other but have to pretend to be married for some reason.

You have to hope the fake “married” have some chemistry so they can get snogging going on. It would be hilarious if they were separated into two different parts of the house and they hooked up with someone else ala Temptation Island.

Behind Big Brother has more information about the launch and the contestants also they have an interesting interview with producer Alex Mavroidakis. The questions supplied by their readers.

This one was particularly funny.

timmydownawell: WHY DO YOU TREAT YOUR VIEWERS LIKE CHILDREN?
Alex: Because some of them are – literally. Big Brother in Australia is a 7pm show – the reason being that as a nation Australians go to bed earlier than in other countries meaning “prime time” television is really 7-9. In Europe and South America it is much later so that is where place their version of BB. The most similar country in BB terms is India – their version of “Big Boss” is PG – just like us.

Big Brother is a show that celebrates people, that champions the folk you pass on the street everyday. Most can’t sing, nor can they dance. A lot have questionable cooking skills. They’re strangers – and we (the audience) judge them at first and slowly they reveal themselves. Sometimes we like what we see. Other times we don’t. They are flawed and layered and complicated but most of all BB requires them to lay their personalities bare in front of the nation. And I don’t care what anyone says – that takes a certain level of bravery. To be yourself. it’s key to the format and key to why children and adults should watch Big Brother. Because in an age of Facebook (and fan forums), BB doesn’t just ask – it demands – authenticity.

Ed’s Note: I have to say I did not find the constant snogging on screen particularly family friendly.

Also he was asked about the live feeds:

Despite popular opinion, live streaming the Big Brother House is no viable – economically and ethically. A lot has changed and not just in Australia. Reduced feeds of the House has been a shift globally. We want you to tune in to Big Brother the TV show, not a fixed camera quad split of a house with people lounging about. The website provides short snippets on the hour between 8am and 11pm and we think this is a good replacement in 2013. To all those who think the contrary, well you can’t please everyone.

Behind Big Brother members must remember – you are the hardcore – the purists – I am like you. I want BB on 24/7 all the time everywhere I go. But the fact is that in 8 years we streamed live in Australia practically nobody watched it!

Streaming also carries enormous risk to the production – we all know what happened in 2006 and most will be aware of the scandal that was “streamed” in the US recently. The British series started with streaming this year and has chopped it for all the above reasons.

Ed Note: Interesting he refers to the US experience as what happened there was online viewers were able to raise the issue CBS were not showing the contestants being racist and gave them a nice edit. Only after an viewer outcry footage was shown.

I will be blogging nightly on the show!

Big Brother starts tonight at 7.00pm on NINE.

1 daisy { 07.29.13 at 9:35 pm }

Yes Gabby@47. Last year the housemates yammered inanely when they got in the house’ The conversation was lame. I remember the blond one kept saying Holy Moly. Oh Ange.

2 daisy { 07.29.13 at 9:37 pm }

Tahan just won the best looking hm ever.

3 daisy { 07.29.13 at 9:47 pm }

Only 4 hms in but I am already thinking it’s rigged and that the keys were all the same. That there was a mechanism opening the doors so that the hms would be divided according to what the producers think would be the best mix. Or stir.

4 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 9:48 pm }

I thought Ed and Tahan were the ones with twins.

5 Gabby { 07.29.13 at 9:49 pm }

Andrea, it’s funny how we can interpret things differently, when Sharon said that to Tim about his loud voice, I thought she was being controlling. Even though I found Tim a bit overbearing at times, I didn’t feel the need for her to say that to him. He was probably just a bit excited by it all. Anyway time will tell.
Daisy, the girl you spoke about not liking girls and manipulating people, she hasn’t done anything to endear me to her so far.
Also one of the girls in the poor part went to the diary room upset that most of the rich side had not bothered to get to know the poor side. Most of the rich side were quite happy to stay in their comfortable surroundings and not bother venturing over to the wall and being uncomfortable in order to get to know the others.

6 Andrea { 07.29.13 at 9:56 pm }

Yes, Gabby, the first night is always exciting for them, we can’t really tell what they are like yet can we?
Tim probably shouldn’t have asked Matt if he had killed anyone in the war at this stage of the game, Matt said he would talk about it later.
Tears already from Tully, its going to be good! And how cute was Ben in his bulldog pyjamas? He misses his mum too.

7 daisy { 07.29.13 at 9:57 pm }

Ben just came out. He seems to be doing a good job of making the most of the short straw he got in the looks dept. He’s like a cool dag.

It’s like good looking Lynton from MC got into a freaky Friday machine with Ben and they swapped looks. Or dagginess.

Looks like Ben and Xavier are going to hit it off.

I like how the first girl had it figured to ask Tahan for her bread.

8 daisy { 07.29.13 at 10:00 pm }

I haven’t seen Sharon and Tim yet but I think the same as you Gabby. I wouldn’t like people being bossy and telling people off right off the bat.

9 Gabby { 07.29.13 at 10:05 pm }

Andrea definitely agree about Tim asking Matt about war, a big no no.
Loved the P.J.’S. love British Bulldogs.
Tully is going to be pretty complex I would say.
I can see fireworks between the girls on the poor side.
I would lay money on it that BB knew exactly who he was putting in to each side of the house. Nothing happens by chance in the BB house.

10 daisy { 07.29.13 at 10:05 pm }

BDD is right. These guys all look like they are going for jobs in the media. Tim has had his teeth whitened.
Ben seems like he could manage talk back.

And I back myself saying the key thing is rigged.

11 Andrea { 07.29.13 at 10:12 pm }

Wait til you see Caleb’s teeth Daisy!
I think the key thing was rigged too, especially when Ben gets to wander around the safe house all by himself for a while so we can get a good look at him. I hope he stays for a long time.

12 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 10:12 pm }

Daisy Seeing the difficulty most of them had unlocking the doors, I think your conspiracy theory of HM placement may be well founded.

13 daisy { 07.29.13 at 10:17 pm }

Oooooooooh where’s Eliza?????
Ed just came on. I think he’d be right up her alley.
I’ll have him if you don’t want him Eliza.

14 Andrea { 07.29.13 at 10:18 pm }

There’s two of Ed, you can have one each!

15 daisy { 07.29.13 at 10:21 pm }

Yay!

I think I like Tim. I like the things he comes out with.

16 daisy { 07.29.13 at 10:23 pm }

Matthew’s cute too but I don’t like his shorts and moccasins.

17 bron { 07.29.13 at 10:52 pm }

dear god ed

18 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 11:01 pm }

Daisy did you like Tim’s pyjamas or is it a onesy

19 Blahhhhh { 07.29.13 at 11:08 pm }

Another 12 weeks of crap
Why would any one want to watch a bunch of idiots interact in a glass tube. Just like junk food – no inherent intellectual nutritional value.
A direct reflection of the networks management who think they know what people want. Channel Nine this is why I have not watched any of your associated channels ( 9, 90, 94, 95 and 99) for nearly 2 years.

20 daisy { 07.29.13 at 11:09 pm }

Oh no. I hate onesees. So daggy.
And how do you do wee?
Givve me a pair of thick padded pgs any day.

But so far I love Tim. He’s such a baiter. I love his evilness.

The last guy is a bit of a goon but he seems alright.

And there is a blond girl in there that seems really sulky.

Where the hell is Izobel?

21 daisy { 07.29.13 at 11:13 pm }

Ben in his pjs sittiing inthe BB chair reminds me of a young Jerry Lewis.
Blaaaaah, I’m only watching to do my thesis in behavioural psychology. True. He he.

22 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 11:13 pm }

Blaaah Wow Channels 94 & 95. That’s 2 stations we don’t get out here. I feel deprived. :'(

23 Reality Raver { 07.29.13 at 11:15 pm }

Daisy – I agree with you not so random entry theory as there is no way they would put Ben in the crap side at this stage.

Kellie Hurst – Thanks for that. He is also the streaker on the Rhianna plane that went viral. So his I have been a student for 10 years and have no interesting backstory is bullshit.

24 Reality Raver { 07.29.13 at 11:16 pm }

BTW new blog post is up http://www.realityravings.com/2013/07/29/big-brother-kicks-of-with-some-interesting-contestants/ but stay chatting where you are most comfortable.

25 daisy { 07.29.13 at 11:19 pm }

TH We got 3 new channels this year but I wish we didn’t. they are just home shopping types stuff or really boring little tutorials on things like pom pom making. It makes it so much harder to channel surf or find the shows you want to watch. We have GOLD, GOLD2 and 4me hogging space on my TV guide. And now I have a roomba in the post.

26 Techhater { 07.29.13 at 11:29 pm }

Daisy So i’m not missing out on anything. Shopping channels I can do without. Now I don’t feel so deprived.

27 daisy { 07.29.13 at 11:32 pm }

I don’t know about blaaaahs extra channels but ours a just a nuisance.

Who do you like on BB. I like Tim….trouble maker that I am.

28 daisy { 07.29.13 at 11:34 pm }

And I think Xavier might be good when he gets a chance.

The last guy was Moose from Archie comics.

29 Nicole S { 08.01.13 at 11:15 am }

I need to find out where Ben got his bulldog pj’s from?

30 gav { 08.01.13 at 11:20 am }