Masterchef Australia – The Mega Date Challenge

Here’s a hint Masterchef producers if you are going to do shots of the contestants in the Masterchef house, the viewers don’t want to see Kelty topless, it is Rishi or Lynton we want to see.

It was love week and two teams had to cook for 50 people  who have been set up on first dates. The setting was the Yarra Valley and Lucy and Kelty were told they were to be the team captains as they had yet to do it.

Gary picked the teams and on paper Lucy’s did look stronger getting Lynton, Christina, Daniel and Vern, while Kelty got Samira, Noelene, Rishi and Emma. If Samira and Noelene want to ark up they will but they worked really well today and it looked like Samira had a lot of input into the meal.  The red team (Kelty’s) randomly selected the  ingredients sardines, liquorice, almonds, garlic and coffee.

Blue team had chilli, red wine, jerusalem potatoes, figs and berries. They decided to make lamb with jerusalem and chestnut chips with a red wine jus. They had to order the lamb to get delivered which gave a nice bit of product placement for Coles. However the problem was the wrong cut arrived and it came with bones so Vern re-ordered it. This put them behind.

Christina was not happy with the main being lamb as she did not think it was pretty.

Red team went for a mezze plate with spatchcock done two ways – the body roasted and the legs confited. Also there were almond crusted sardines as well as olives. It was a feast for the pairs at the table compared to the size of the blue teams dish.

Kelty boasted to camera that he was de-boning and that he was confident with doing it as it had just been shown in Master class. He must have tuned out as he yelled out “Samira can you give me a lesson”.

Kelty was relishing the captain role as and said he was making the decisions. I suspect if the outcome had not been quite so positive he would have been slating the blame on his fellow team mates.

It is no surprise that Daniel has managed to be safe up until now as he never takes the lead on anything and floats in on the coat tails of the others. But this happens each year on the show.

Both teams desserts were ice creams which melted, well it fact it did not set in the time frame.

The red team’s dessert was chocolate chilli sorbet and fig ice cream. George being a chilli phobic nearly choked on it.

The blue team’s liquorice and coffee ice cream had better flavours.

No surprise for anyone either the contestants or the viewers that Kelty’s red team won.

However what I really want to know is whether the meal faciliated any long lasting relationships?

1 Phineas J. Whoopee { 08.04.13 at 10:47 am }

Hi Carole-
Sorry for the misunderstanding. As far as I know Reef Doctors is an Aussie-only show that is shown only in Oz. Also, as far as I know, there are no Aussie shows on any American outlets. Although there are a handful of successful BBC America shows, foreign stuff, even English speaking, does not do well with the masses. The masses tend to like things with vampires or Kardashians (or both).

I download MCA and Reef Doctors and every other foreign show. There’s no other way to get most of them, unless they become popular enough to make it to Amazon Prime or Netflix or something, and that’s not often.

I become aware of shows when I notice them being posted and I Google them and if they sound interesting I give them a go. Unfortunately, as I have said before, for some reason not very many shows from Australia (or NZ, for that matter) get posted, so I have a very skewed view of what you guys watch.

I had read somewhere that RD got pulled from Sunday and moved to Friday nights–a death slot in American TV–after fairly disastrous ratings, and then it stopped getting put online, so I inferred that it was gone. If I can find it to watch for the diving, I will!

Other than you folks here, I have never encountered anyone who has watched or even heard of MCA, and that’s after watching the show on my own for five seasons!

2 daisy { 08.04.13 at 11:26 am }

Phineas there is an old Aussie comedy satire that I used to enjoy. I don’t know if the humour would be dated. I think it was called “Frontline”. The star was Rob Sitch I think.
Other commenters will remember. Chris Lillee has also had a few good moments in some of his comedy series. He’s perhaps our version of Tracey Ulman.

3 Daze { 08.04.13 at 11:48 am }

PJW –
Am thinking : Kardashians = media Vampires.

4 Carole { 08.04.13 at 11:55 am }

Oh ok fair enough PJW. I guess you guys have so many of your own shows over there, you don’t really need our shows too. At least you got to see them on line. A lot of our shows are shown in the UK and Europe.

5 Phineas J. Whoopee { 08.04.13 at 12:43 pm }

Daze-
Well they certainly do…..suck!
I’m really sorry; I’ll show myself out.

6 Phineas J. Whoopee { 08.04.13 at 1:01 pm }

Carole-
Please don’t get me wrong: We would do well to have more exposure to your shows, and lots of other non-American shows. We simply don’t see them.

Europeans are way more accepting of non-their-own-culture-specific entertainment. Americans…not so much. It’s not, IMO, a good trait. On an up-note, it is changing, thanks to the internet, and my expectation is that eventually people will just choose their own fav entertainment without much regard to where it came from.

I am sort of cooking dinner right now, so, quickly: what drew me into MCA, apart from the novelty and cookery, was observing the interaction of the contestants. It is much more positive than we have here, and no matter what I have said or may say about MCA or anything else, that is a credit to Australia.

7 Andrea { 08.04.13 at 1:01 pm }

PJW, maybe you would like Sea Change or Sea Patrol, they would probably have diving in them.
A great mini series if you want a bit of Australian History was “Dirtwater Dynasty”, I loved that one.

8 Eliza { 08.04.13 at 1:39 pm }

Daisy, Frontline was clever and I still think of it when I watch the news broadcasts.. Pretending they are in the line of danger but really they are 5km away and interviewing with the aim of tears.. A lot of the humour would still be quite relevant.

9 Moonstruck { 08.04.13 at 1:51 pm }

“Cloudstreet” is another good Australian show, only three episodes and shown on pay tv. It was based on a novel. ” The slap”was based on a best selling novel and is supposed to be remade for US TV. An oldie but a goody was the first season of the “secret life of us”.

10 Anna { 08.04.13 at 4:32 pm }

Emma, is there a chance you can lock old threads that no one but s p a m e r s comment on?

11 Daze { 08.04.13 at 4:41 pm }

Anna, it’s dreadful isn’t it. It’s taken me 2 wks to get rid of s p a m mainly from ru – fwd’ing to acma and a govt dept. grrrr

Anyhow if we write a few posts it’ll get rid of those just posted that take up so much room.

12 Daze { 08.04.13 at 4:42 pm }

Andrea, never heard of Dirtwater series. Must look it up to see when it was on air.

13 Anna { 08.04.13 at 4:44 pm }

Daze, the problem is that they get paid for annoying the crap out of normal people. The only way to stop them is to b.lock them. The I.Ps

14 Daze { 08.04.13 at 4:46 pm }

I did but they kept coming then I did remove from server same same. I think acma and the s p a m govt.dept have done something because I’m down to 2 a day now which I will continue to fwd to acma etc. Just don’t know how they get individual addresses. Grrrr.
We’ve nearly got rid of the ones on RR’s blog now, lol – gosh they take up space

15 Andrea { 08.04.13 at 4:54 pm }

Daze, I think it was made in the 80’s, damm fine series spanning over a few generations with a great twist at the end.
I might even buy the dvds on ebay, I’d like to see it again.

16 Anna { 08.04.13 at 5:22 pm }

Daze, even Akismet on WordPress doesn’t keep all of them away. If I don’t log in for a few days, I get a lot

After staying away from line due to hospital stay, I accumulated 50. What fun!!!

I posted a blog re chocolate eating, few morons posted d.iet and lo.osing w.eight comments lol

17 daisy { 08.04.13 at 5:51 pm }

I don’t get any spam. I don’t know what I am doing differently.

18 Daze { 08.04.13 at 6:17 pm }

Andrea, thanks, will look into eBay as well.

Anna, 50? omg. I had 20 and that was a nightmare. I don’t know Akismet.

daisy – sometimes if you sign up for newsletters, those mongrels can get a hold of your address so generally I use a gmail address and rarely my personal address – still, I don’t know how it happened as try to be very vigilant but it grabbed my personal one so I must have done something wrong and by the time it happens, one tends to forget what sites they looked at or signed to buy something. I might be wrong, but I think thats how it happens, so you are very lucky then. I have avg but it didn’t stop the damn things

19 Anna { 08.04.13 at 6:37 pm }

Daze, it’s an add on in wordpress.

When you sign up for newsletters, some of those places sell their email data base, hence the spamolla

20 Phineas J. Whoopee { 08.04.13 at 7:15 pm }

Moonstruck-
Of course they would have to remake it! Otherwise people who have never read a book or thought about “stuff” would be confused!

21 Anna { 08.04.13 at 9:55 pm }

Can the amatas beat 5 Michelin Star Chef? Jowlsy want’s us to think that it’s possible.

What croak!!!

22 Littlepetal { 08.04.13 at 10:10 pm }

They have to give out at least 1 immunity pin and Heston has to cook 3 dishes in the same time. In MC they can do anything.

23 Anonymous { 09.29.13 at 3:32 pm }

素敵なルイヴィトンのレプリカのハンドバッグルイヴィトンのレプリカのハンドバッグは、ルイヴィトンの最高のレプリカを提供する良質のハンドバッグです。彼らは、同じ品質で作られており、最高の機能はハンドバッグにこびりついたされているため、ハンドバッグは、元のルイヴィトンの良い品質のレプリカです。さらに、ハンドバッグ、顧客がために彼らの驚くべき製造元と割引価格で楽しむことが良質のハンドバッグです

24 Tegan { 05.21.14 at 10:33 am }

I am now not sure where you’re getting your info, however good
topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or figuring out more.
Thanks for magnificent information I used to be in search of this info for my mission.