The Great Australian Bake Off – Tart Week

It was all about the tarts and the Melbourne heat wave on The Great Australian Bake Off last night, with filming shut down after the signature bake as the tent was nearly 40 degrees.

First up the remaining contestant’s had to make a Tarte Tatin. Monique was the only one who made a traditional one and was praised for it. However judge Kerry Vincent told Mark after she tasted his with raisins and nuts that you should not mess with a classic.

However the judges gushed over Jonathan’s savoury lamb tartin. Dan Lepard told Jonathan that Georgian food was one of the most flavoursome of the Eastern European cuisines. Dan appears to like Jonathan but not sure he is that good looking. Maybe Dan just likes his intensity.

Monique and Jonathan were named as having the best tartin’s.

The technical bake was quiche lorraine and Jonathan decided to follow the recipe exactly. This might explain why he had a meltdown when Brandon took his grated cheese from the fridge.

To be honest he was right. Brandon who rushes things had grated his with the larger grater whereas his was finer. Also how Brandon could have accidentally taken it was a bit of mystery as Jonathan’s bowl was small and silver and his was large and glass.

Even though he had used some Jonathan grabbed it back off him.

He looked unhappy that Brendan won as he had incorporated his filling better whereas Jonathan had too much cheese on top.

Monique showed it is easy to go from heaven to hell in the space of one bake as she landed on the bottom.

The show stopper was for 12 miniature tarts six chocolate and six fruit tarts. Apparently Maria’s was the only one that hit the brief when it came to presentation with her delicate Mango tarts with meringue.

Mark’s brain exploded and it landed as a decoration on his plate where he had placed his tarts on fruit sauce on a plate. After clinging on in the competition by his finger tips since the start Mark was eliminated. Jonathan  was named star baker of the week.

The Great Australian Bake Off on NINE on Tuesday’s at 8.00pm.

1 Rosie { 07.31.13 at 12:17 pm }

Brendan is such an arsehole. I didn’t see Cheesegate as such a big deal, but Brendan is such a creep that I automatically took Jonathon’s part. He was seething with hatred for Brendan, and it was good to see him (J) win over all.

Buh bye, Mark! Don’t let the door bash you on the bum as you leave! An overdue departure, than one.

The bread baking will be interesting next week. The secret to baking bread is one I have yet to decipher. Many is the loaf I have fucked up over the years, both by hand and in the bread machine. I wound up giving my bread machine away, and now buy my bread from either Brumby’s or Baker’s Delight. Maybe next week I’ll be ready to try again. Or maybe not…

2 Carole { 07.31.13 at 1:50 pm }

Yeah, I agree about the cheese. I know it may seem trivial to make a big deal about, but if you’ve gone to the trouble to do it right, and someone takes it who wasn’t as particular, you have a right to get upset. Brandon is just so immature the way he acts. But it was funny to watch.

What a come down for poor Mark. Last week it looked like he was finally getting it together, but last night he stuffed up again.

I love quiche Lorraine and have made it many times, but I cheat and buy the pastry. But back in the old days before you could buy it, I used to make it. I HATED making pastry. It was a time consuming fiddly pain in the arse to make. So glad they invented pastry sheets you could buy. Makes my life so much easier.

I made a tart tartin with pear a while ago, but I had too much syrup and it made the pastry soft. But it was only for me so it didn’t matter. Still tasted ok. Why some of them ruined it by putting banana in it I don’t know.

Some of those mini tarts at the end looked yummy.

3 Socs { 07.31.13 at 2:00 pm }

I don’t know, I quite like Mark, he’s sort of an endearing puppy dog that keeps messing things up!
You’re right about Brandon though; I just want to hit him over the head with a rolling pin.

I can’t bake to save my life (I don’t like measuring), but I love Dan Lepard and love this show–more baking, less back stories!

4 Anna { 07.31.13 at 2:52 pm }

Kind of sorry to see Mark go, he was one of the most likable ‘cooks’.

Hope Brendan goes soon. Too immature and just want’s to be a pain.

5 brain dead dave { 07.31.13 at 3:01 pm }

Anna Gare and Kerry Vincent work well together.

Sweet and Sour.

Oh well, the old fart with the tart fell apart. He moved like a glacier, after all is said and done.

6 jane walken { 07.31.13 at 3:46 pm }

loved the cheese fight but sad to see mark go he was good but not under pressure. not sure if i will watch anymore, don’t like the boring contestants that are left.

7 Georgie { 08.02.13 at 8:22 am }

I’ve been watching and enjoying this show since it started. As usual, it was listed in the online ‘yourtv program’ as starting at 8.30pm where I live, (after BB from 7 to 8.30). I watched XFactor until 8.30 then switched to Ch9, in time to catch the elimination of Mark? Thanks once again for your thoughtful programming changes Ch9 – you suck!

8 Anonymous { 08.02.13 at 8:52 am }
9 emp { 08.02.13 at 8:52 pm }

monique or nancy will be leaving next week, judging by what we have seen during the past 4 weeks.

10 Anna { 08.02.13 at 9:01 pm }

Thrown Brenden into the mix :-)